Start by marking “The Bunny Years: The Surprising Inside Story of the Playboy Clubs: The Women Who Worked as Bunnies and Where They Are Now” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A remarkable range of bright and ambitious women launched their careers while working as Playboy Bunnies. Kathryn Leigh Scott's memoir is based on over 250 interviews with former Bunnies and her own recollections of working in the New York Club while studying to be an actress.
Published June 15th 1999 by Pomegranate Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Bunny Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bunny Years

Jeanette
Nostalgic easy, name dropping read. It was a fair and accurate detailing from the mouths of the women who lived and/or worked within Playboy clubs as Playboy Bunnies. Most of the stories are from the original groups in New York and Chicago during the mid-1960's. The costuming methods, rules and training were especially interesting. Overall there was just too much reference and following of the few Bunnies, like Gloria Steinem, who worked for very short periods of time, did it for investigative r ...more
Me
My only regret is that the book stops just a little before the last club shuts down (later others are reopened). It would have been a nice ellipsis to follow it from start to end. As a former bunny myself I can testify that this really gives the most honest assessment of the experience - no othe rinterview or article I have EVER read had EVER approached the reality.
Kelly
How did I come to read this book? It was on a list of unexpected feminist books, regarding exploitation of women. I found it to be very anthropological, as in it was written ethnographically, with accounts from the women on their own real experiences. I would say that I was surprised there wasn't much criticism from behind the scenes, as that would have sold well. The main conflicts recorded seem to have been along the lines of the bunnies protesting, sure, but remarkably one incident was about ...more
Katieemoore
Sep 24, 2008 Katieemoore is currently reading it
its sort of a big middle finger to gloria steinhem
Brittany
Sep 18, 2011 Brittany rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in the 1960s
How I Came To Read This Book: The lovely people at Simon & Schuster sent me a copy so I could review it for an upcoming issue of SANDBOX. It was originally published over a decade ago, but has been updated with a new forward by Hugh Hefner to reflect the new NBC show that's debuting tomorrow.

The Plot: Kathryn Leigh Scott is an actress that once worked as a Playboy Bunny during the peak of the New York club's operations in the 1960s. During her days there she worked alongside feminist Gloria
Lani
SUPER fun accounts of working at the Playboy Clubs. Much of this book was a 'where are they now' style collection from various starlets, and a notably absent commentary is one from Gloria Steinham. In fact, this book seems to almost be in response to her famous account of her own few days as a Bunny. Rather than falling into her exploitation paradigm, these women are grateful for the experience (and money) they got from their time at the Clubs.

Many of these women formed lifelong friendships and
Cassandra Javier
This was an enjoyable read. I came across this book at a thrift bookstore and I thought, why not? I always like reading about days gone by. This is entertaining, enjoyable and yeah, it was good. Easy read.
Anne
This book was an eye opener!! I absolutely loved it!! If you have never read it, don't put it off any longer!!! Cudos to the Bunnys who worked so hard and got such a bad rap!! Amazing job, Kathryn!!
Andy
Jan 03, 2013 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Loved the insights into what it was like in the beginning all the way to the end from the very women who lived it!!!
Boris Raul Ibanez
Great book,fun book to read, made me wish the playboy clubs were still open, and that i was there.
Devon
Got a bit long towards the end, but mostly an interesting collection of personal recollections.
Darlene Ferland
Interesting to see, as an outsider, what it was like to be a "BUNNY."
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Newt
Newt marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Patrick Hozjan
Patrick Hozjan marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Misty
Misty is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Caty
Caty marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Lynn Andrusiak
Lynn Andrusiak marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Jennifer Lewis
Jennifer Lewis marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Shannon McCarthy
Shannon McCarthy marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Claire Souchet
Claire Souchet marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Isobel
Isobel marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Alex K
Alex K is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Fareeda
Fareeda marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • SuicideGirls
  • What's the Number For 911?: America's Wackiest 911 Calls
  • Once I Was a Princess
  • Anything That Loves
  • If I Knew Then . . .
  • Happy Kitty Bunny Pony: A Saccharine Mouthful of Super Cute
  • Arthur and the Lost Diary (Arthur Chapter Book, #9)
  • The Boy Who Ate Fear Street (Ghosts of Fear Street, #11)
  • Sex Work: Writings by Women in the Sex Industry
  • The Price: My Rise and Fall As Natalia, New York's #1 Escort
  • Forced Entries: The Downtown Diaries: 1971-1973
  • Needles: A Memoir Of Growing Up With Diabetes
  • Cantona: The Rebel Who Would Be King: The Turbulent Life of Eric Cantona
Down and Out in Beverly Heels Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood The Dark Shadows Companion: 25th Anniversary Collection Dark Passages Dark Shadows: Memories