Start by marking “Being a Girl: Navigating the Ups and Downs of Teen Life” as Want to Read:
Being a Girl: Navigating the Ups and Downs of Teen Life

Being a Girl: Navigating the Ups and Downs of Teen Life

Award-winning "Sex and the City" actress Kim Cattrall offers heartfelt adviceto today's teens. Cattrall tackles real questions in an honest, intimate, andtotally hip way. Info-packed spreads feature never-before-seen teen photos ofthe actress.
Published October 4th 2006 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Being a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being a Girl

Belle Kascade
Jul 06, 2011 Belle Kascade rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preteens and young teenagers.
I received this book when I was 12, and I'll admit that I had no idea who Kim Cattrall was or what Sex and the City was really about. That said, I first read this book as an insecure and unhappy pre-teen, and with no initial judgement of the author.

This book is best suited for young girls of around 11 to 14, when they are starting to hit puberty. Cattrall has stuffed every little detail of the teenage years into this simple and easy to understand book - self esteem, beauty, family and friend rel
Stephanie
Apr 05, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This is a great tool for girls trying to make their way through their teens and early 20's. Kim covers a wide variety of topics such as: self esteem; dealing with fears; relationships with friends, family, mean girls/bad crowds, and boyfriends; body development; eating right (also covers eating disorders); budgeting/living on your own; seeing and appreciating different types of beauty; dating; some carefully chosen/addressed topics on sex; style; skin care; and make-up. Kim's advice always comes ...more
Jumana
Jun 03, 2011 Jumana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
always read this book when I'm down or feeling insecure...it makes me feel better, i don't know why; i must have read it about 5 times
Becky
Oct 05, 2011 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was about 14. I was slightly familiar with her face and who she was, but I simply got it out as it was about teenage hood.
I found it fun and it was nice to read. I didn't have a personal opinion of her then and thought the book was pretty neat and wanted to keep it. Now, I do not like her.

I do not like her and I hate sex and the city. Simply because I do not agree on sleeping around with guys and all her books and tv shows about orgasms and sex she has brought out. Which make
Julia
Jan 30, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing
A great book for specifically teenage girls. Me, being a teenage girl could for once in my life relate to this book. I thought the author's stories were intriguing even though I have never seen
"Sex and the City". Only seeing Kim Cattrall in one movie, "Ice Princess", I was skeptical on the book just getting it from the library. But I was pleasantly surprised and extremely happing finding useful and helpful advice without things overly sugar coated.
Yoonmee
Jun 18, 2010 Yoonmee rated it it was ok
It's not as bad as you think it is, but it's not great either. Cattrall offers sound advice for teens and preteens, but it's nothing new. She tries to cover too many topics only to give broad advice for each topic. It's a fun book if you're a huge Sex and the City fan, but otherwise there are better self-help type books for teens.
Sophie Elizabeth
Jul 09, 2013 Sophie Elizabeth rated it liked it
Ah, the good old amusing Christmas gift from your divorced father when you're thirteen! Not knowing that my mother probably gave me the most comprehensive 'talk' that any tween ever got...

Still, though - some of the things in here surrounding body image were nice to read, if I recall, and the voice was natural enough. I hadn't a clue who she was when I read it though.
Gail
Mar 31, 2009 Gail rated it liked it
This is not as bad as you might think. I can't stand Sex and the City. Because Cattrall's character on Sex and the City was so trampy I thought this book would be too. I realize this assumption makes no sense. I found this book on the bargain table. I'm going to hold onto it for a classroom library if I ever teach high school again.
Heather
Apr 13, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
I wasn't able to get into this book. Maybe it's because I don't watch Sex and the City. Or it's just because I didn't feel connected to her. Whatever the reason, it wasn't for me.
Elise
Elise rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2012
Grace
Jan 26, 2013 Grace rated it it was amazing
It was really good for me growing up.
Ginger33
Ginger33 rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2013
Michelle Taylor
Michelle Taylor rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Kait
Kait rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Marty
Marty rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Sarah Sparkle
Sarah Sparkle rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2014
Kendall
Kendall rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2008
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Réka
Réka rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2012
Nita
Nita rated it really liked it
May 06, 2014
Tasia
Tasia rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
arbie
arbie rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Kasia Dutch
Kasia Dutch rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Krissy
Krissy rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Amie Hodson-Ridgway
Amie Hodson-Ridgway rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Kim Victoria Cattrall, is a British-born, Canadian-raised Golden Globe-winning and Emmy-nominated actress. She is known for her role as Samantha Jones in the HBO comedy/romance series Sex and the City, and for her leading roles in the 1980s films Police Academy and Mannequin.
More about Kim Cattrall...