Start by marking “Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)” as Want to Read:
Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)

Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,475 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Liberty: A Jake Grafton Novel
Published February 4th 2003 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Liberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberty

Jonathan Cate
Liberty by Stephen Coonts is exactly what you would expect it to be. It is an espionage thriller with terrorists plotting the downfall of the United States and Jake Grafton and the crew are all that stands between them and destruction.

I started reading Coont's Grafton books back in middle school and enjoyed them quite a bit. I had not read one for nearly two decades. His writing is what I remembered it to be. The characters are cynical and matter of fact, the language is coarse, and the banter
Mark Easter

Admiral Jake Grafton is working counter-terrorism in the wake of the September 11 attacks when Janos Illin--the highly placed Russian intelligence agent from AMERICA--delivers chilling news: a rogue general has sold four nuclear warheads to a radical Qaeda-affiliated terrorist faction. Smuggled out of Pakistan after a vicious firefight, the deadly weapons are believed to be headed for the United States. Taking the report to his superiors, Grafton is charged by the president with assembling a sec

Guillaume Jay
Oct 17, 2012 Guillaume Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Grafton, après une longue carrière dans la Marine américaine, est maintenant détaché dans une force conjointe anti-terrorisme. Quand on apprend que des ogives nucléaires russes auraient été vendus à un groupe islamiste, le président des USA lui donne plein pouvoir pour empêcher le pire.

Le résumé est court, mais c'est du techno/mili-thriller de base, bien dans l`ère du temps, comme n'en fait plus Clancy (et heureusement, vu ses dernières livres : enfin, je me suis arrêté en 2000, je vois que
Marcia
Jul 10, 2016 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! It has fast-paced action while still delivering details enough for the reader to understand the information. Jake Grafton does not give in to the quest for power of those within the DC Beltway. He does his job and does it very well and at the same time must deal with the in-fighting of those who constantly seek power & recognition. The plot is credible that a Russian general would sell old nuclear warheads to the highest bidder, in this case Islamic terrorists. Four ...more
Mike
Jan 09, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been too long since a good tight author could write an intriguing novel in the vein of Tom Clancy or Robert Ludlum. Stephen Coonts does it. The characters are well developed, the plot and subplots are well-paced and easy to follow. It's one of those books that when I read, I lamented that it was late and my eyes were burning - I wanted to keep reading. It's a story that accurately portrays America's enemies and the good ol' American individualism that will keep America strong against second ...more
Seth
This series had grown progressively more simplistic with each volume, and in this final volume of the Jake Grafton series, Coonts attempts to return to the more complicated themes of his late 1980's Jake Grafton stories.

The book has it's merits but isn't quite up to the level of Under Siege or Final Flight. In moments of nostalgia, Coonts makes sure to drop one reference or another to all of the Jake Grafton stories that came before this one. A good read, but the story which came before it "Am
Nathan
Mar 18, 2009 Nathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: but-wish-i-hadnt
Terrorists buy a nuclear warhead from a rogue Russian general, then try sneaking it into the U.S. to blow up a dirty bomb. Only one man stands between the terrorists and their "unholy jihad...." (Dun dun dun) The heck of it is, (<- this is an actual and oft repeated phrase from the book.) the plot was so outlandishly stupid it was painful to read. Throwing in a new character every page didn't help either.
Greg
Jul 28, 2012 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good twists and turns. Decent ending. Would like to see some of these characters in other books. I do like the way Stephen Coonts develops his characters.

On the flip side, it is hard to get worried about a character dieing when he/she appears in future books. Should put more first time characters in peril for such things.

Recommended.
Freyja Vanadis
Jul 19, 2014 Freyja Vanadis rated it it was ok
It's an ok book, although I had a hard time following all the characters and whose side they were on. Also, Coonts lets his anti-liberal feelings peek through every once in a while, which is a huge turnoff for me. It's not as bad as Brad Thor's Scot Horvath series, but nevertheless I won't be reading any more of Coonts's books.
Sandy
Sep 23, 2010 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There were too many people to keep track of in this book. I was three chapters in and already was working with a cast of, like, 20 people. And there were more as you read. It's a good book. It moves along even with all the characters. Toward the end, it's hard to put it down. Makes you look twice at everyone you pass on the street though.
George
Nov 04, 2013 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Last of the Jake Grafton series, Jake, Toad and Carmelini save the US from a nuclear terrorist or two. Rife with bureaucratic one-upsmanship that almost kills the deal, the author winds through it and everyone wins. Where will Jake Grafton be when this actually happens to the USA?
Rob Marriner
Purchased in the bargain basement, I had not come accross the author before but the back cover sounded interesting.
Excellent current day thriller. Storyline not overly complex but interesting to follow. Good holiday reading.
Anna Tan
Jun 14, 2014 Anna Tan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I suppose the meh-ness of this book settled in on page 12 when Janos Ilin says this fatal line... "Russians, Germans, French, Egyptians, Japanese, Chinese, Hindu, you name it."

On the rest of it.... I guess I just don't like his writing style very much.
Linda
Aug 27, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a 3.5 star adventure novel in Coons' Jake Grafton series --- lots of action, but not enough explanation of the "bad guys'" motivations. Still, it was an entertaining thriller and fun to read, a great beach book.
Pete
Jan 02, 2015 Pete rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Indistinguishable from most of the other mundane and unimaginative terrorists vs America novels available to readers. Would have been better had the Janos Illin character played a more prominent role.
Steve
Nov 06, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
March 2014 this time a book. i need to take a break from this book for a few years.

re-read jake grafton book on tape
outstanding
my favorite so far!!!!!

I still remember much of the story in June 2013 and didn't re-read this one.
It remains a favorite.
Shelves: mystery
An entertaining audiobook
Penny
Mar 02, 2014 Penny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Exciting but long and I just couldn't suspend my plausibility meter long enough to really get into it. I actually laughed in several places.
Peter
Aug 31, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book rocks along. Plausible characters and good action. Wish I'd read it 10 years ago.
Joseph
Sep 08, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed it ...
Brian Stark
Mar 14, 2008 Brian Stark rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brian by: Dad
Gripping story in that it COULD happen. Well written, keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way thorough.
Erick
Nov 27, 2009 Erick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionnage
tres bon livre, plein d'action.
Maynard
Mar 20, 2013 Maynard rated it really liked it
Four nuclear weapons sit in the hands of the bad guys. The only thing between a nuclear holocaust and the end of the American way of life is an anti-terrorism team led by Admiral Jake Grafton.
Joshua
Aug 18, 2008 Joshua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable. Fun, but predictable. Not a lot of realism.
Brian
Jan 19, 2016 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book, but at times some of the bizarre colloquial expressions temporarily snapped me out of the story and made me think "Who says that?!!"
Jerald Hoskelis
Jun 12, 2011 Jerald Hoskelis rated it really liked it
Last of the series where Grafton retires
Eric
Jan 19, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It has been awhile since I have read any of the Jake Grafton series but this one definitely kept me entertained.
Jake
May 06, 2011 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio Book. Jake and Tommy Carmellini stop terrorists from detonating an atomic bomb in the torch of the statue of liberty.
Nancy
Feb 18, 2008 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Timely!
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • The Enemy Within
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Against All Enemies (Nathan Dixon, #2)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Jake Grafton (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton #3)
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton #4)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton #5)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton #7)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton #8)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11)