Start by marking “Hong Kong (Jake Grafton #8)” as Want to Read:
Hong Kong (Jake Grafton #8)

Hong Kong (Jake Grafton #8)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,481 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Jake Grafton takes his wife, Callie, along when the U.S. government sends him to Hong Kong to find out how deeply the U.S. consul-general is embedded in a political money-raising scandal. And why not? Jake and Callie met and fell in love in Hong Kong during the Vietnam War, and the consul-general is an old friend from those days, Tiger Cole.

The Graftons quickly discover

Published September 12th 2000 by St. Martin's Press

May
Rarely do I give a book a rating this low. I could not help it with this one. The real problem is the lack of research done on Hong Kong, the way natives think and the culture. While I'm sure the actual story is no better or worse than any of his others, the glaringly ignorant depiction of Hong Kong just threw me off. For example, describing someone coming from a city just outside of Canton.... Hello... Canton is the old British name for the PROVINCE of Guangdong. That would be like describing s ...more
Dark-Draco
Sep 05, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-reading
A Jake Grafton novel, set, as the title suggests, in Hong Kong. A CIA agent has been shot, along with a Chinese 'fixer' and there are rumours the two murders are linked. Grafton and Carmellini are asked to find out what is going on, but when banks start collapsing, innocent people are shot by the army and chaos looms, they realise more is going on than they first thought. And then Grafton's wife is kidnapped...

I'm afraid I just couldn't get into this. I usually love this type of book, but found
Dave
Feb 02, 2017 Dave rated it liked it
The book has a rich cast of characters & sufficient action & intrigue to
fit it comfortably into the Jake Grafton series. However, the decision
to utilize a squad of Terminator-esque devices pegged the credulity
meter at absurd imho :-(
John Polson
Jun 05, 2013 John Polson rated it it was ok
This was my first (and very nearly my last) Stephen Coonts book. I lived in Hong Kong for several years - but obviously a different Hong Kong to his one! He should stick to writing carrier based flying stories. At that he's brilliant! He simply did not "get" Hong Kong - and his geography was a bit off too...
Paul
Jan 29, 2013 Paul rated it it was ok
Shelves: stephen-coonts
interesting take on what would happen to Hong Kong after the handover. Even though its a novel, the book focuses more on the political aspects than actual mystery / suspense. would be good to see what would happen next to one of the main characters (Cole).
Ken Schloman
Jun 23, 2017 Ken Schloman rated it liked it
A decent thriller that's story line is based on WHAT COULD have happened after the British turned Hong Kong over to China. This is the typical formula of the author in the Jake Grafton series --- take an event in the headlines and develop a techno thriller out many possible outcomes of the event. For today's readers these events do not reflect actual history. Rather they provide an "alternative history". Still, as thrillers of the genre go, this is a decent effort. While not the best of the seri ...more
Al McPhee
Jan 22, 2017 Al McPhee rated it liked it
The least of the Grafton series so far, hope the last couple please more than this.
Dennis
Mar 07, 2017 Dennis rated it really liked it
I always enjoy books by Stephen Coonts and this book is no exception. Good story line and it's well written.
Sharon
May 11, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it
Until I was about halfway through this book, I kept wondering whether I had read it before. To be fair, I've been a fan of the Jake Grafton novels since they were introduced to me by a naval aviator boyfriend some 20 years ago, so it's entirely possible that I read this book when it first came out in 2000. It's also possible thqt the plot just seemed familiar.

In any event, now Rear Admiral Jake Grafton is in Hong Kong to check up on his former bombardier/navigator Virgil "Tiger" Coles, the consu
Seth
Jan 07, 2008 Seth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-fiction
Marcia
Dec 17, 2014 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another Jake Grafton-with-help-from-Tommy Carmellini novel. In this story, Jake & Callie revisit Hong Kong just as rebels are about to begin an uprising. This was written just a few years after the take-over of Hong Kong by the Chinese communists. Descriptions of Hong Kong are vivid and interesting. Jake's buddy Cole from the Viet Nam War is now the American consul. The US State Department is concerned about his possible involvement in the uprising. Tommy Carmellini provides some int ...more
Ed
Feb 20, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, action, thriller
#8 in the Jake Grafton series.

Jake Grafton series - The great city/state is falling out of Communist hands, just a few short years after the Chinese takeover. The revolution is being fomented by the cyber-intelligentsia, who have managed to rig computer systems throughout Hong Kong and China so that all vital functions - the power grid, airports, oil refineries, telephone systems, etc. - will collapse at the same time. At the helm of the insurrection is Virgil Cole, the American consul general w
Wayne
Jun 14, 2016 Wayne rated it liked it
My 3rd Stephen Coonts novel. Interesting story, as Jake takes his wife with him on an assignment in Hong Kong to check on a State Dept. employee who may be involved in illegal activities there. The employee turns out to be a fellow service man whose life Jake saved during the Vietnam War.
Jake's wife gets kidnapped and he gets involved in a revolution against the Chinese government.
Some really crazy weapons play a big part of this story. All are called Yorks, but each one has a first name. They
Steve
Oct 17, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it
2-28-2015 re- read I did like the Jake Grafton portions of the story. I thought Tommy C could have played a more active role. This is the story when Callie first meets Tommy - Tommy had slipped into their hotel room, waiting for them. There were lots of bad guys, real sh-t heads. Not my favorite Coonts story. But my notes of 5 years ago indicate that I loved the book on tape as an audio story. So I'll compromise as 4 stars

10-16-2009 5 stars as a book on tape
ONE OF MY FEW FIVE STAR ***** REVIEWS.
Alex
Aug 23, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
Could never really suspend my disbelief long enough to really enjoy the ride. The last 15 pages were the best in the book, which isn't to be snide, but I felt that it wasn't until the veeery end that I really got caught up in the excitement of it all.
As someone who has been to Hong Kong, I really had high hopes, and the book did deliver in some respects. Fascinating to see the high tech revolution unfold and all that. But the *literal* implementation of deus ex machina was too hard to swallow.
George
Apr 11, 2014 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Americans, including our hero Jake Grafton, in Hong Kong at the time of China's revolution. This book is full of twisty turns that keep one's interest. I've never been to Hong Kong and never wanted to go, but the book is a good read/listen because the interaction of really, really bad dudes who eventually get their due. Show me the next Grafton novel.
Steve Schlutow
I didn't care for this book.. I meant to read when it was first published, but was into other novel series and forgot.. I came across it recently, and decided to read it and possibly remember the mood back when Hong Kong joined China.. The novel did not portray any such, thus I had a hard time with the fictional storyline..
Nicholas Gourlay
Not a bad read but it just seemed so similiar to Clive Cussler (maybe a tad bit more indepth with the whole political reasoning behind things). Jake Crafton is similar to Dirk Pitt although he appears more grounded and a tad more level headed.

Good story, fast read, not too much character building nor descriptive paragraphs. It made this a good 'past the time' novel.
Dave
Apr 08, 2009 Dave rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Not one of his best novels, but all of the Grafton novels are good in their own way. I've been a big fan of Stephen Coonts for awhile and havn't found one yet that I didn't like. This one was kind of a slow starter and at first I thought I had found my first disliked novel by Coonts, but I slowly become interested toward the end. Simple plot but interesting.
Jason Brooks
Jun 03, 2016 Jason Brooks rated it really liked it
It was nice meeting up with Tiger Cole again. The last time we read about him was in Flight of the Intruder and we never heard what came of him and his broken back. It's great to see him back in action.
Bernadette
Sep 19, 2010 Bernadette rated it it was ok
I learned about a little about Hong Kong, plus enjoyed a pretty good story, but there was too much macho guns, military technology, etc. One robot fight scene went on for several pages! It's a guys' book.
Katie
Feb 04, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Rebels plan to takeover the Communist government. Multiple characters that finally fit together towards the end of the book. Was surprised a few times throughout. Jake Grafton was an intriguing character. It was ok
chaos.meltdown
Apr 01, 2012 chaos.meltdown rated it liked it
3 and 3fourths stars. awesome way transitions between scenes and the human drama is good too...awesome tone pace. its weaved very well. plus the cyborgs twist is better than any sci fi video game out there period.
Andrew Carter
Jan 16, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really good book..lots of action.
Kate
Dec 26, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
I read this book because i grew up in hk. Ended up so disappointed, it didn't capture Hong Kong at all, what a terrible book.
Gay
Dec 12, 2008 Gay rated it it was ok
Another one that's good to "read" while driving. It's got an unbelievably simplistic plot: a handful of zealots overthrow the Chinese communists in Hong Kong.
Mick
Jun 23, 2012 Mick rated it really liked it
Stephen Coonts combines techno-robots and James Bond thrilling suspense into a great adventure read.
John
Nov 23, 2016 John rated it did not like it
Very disjointed unbelievable story about a rebellion in communist China starting in Hong Kong.
Dee
Jul 27, 2010 Dee rated it it was amazing
This book gave me the smell of Hong Kong, which I really enjoyed. While I was reading I really had the feeling of being there. That my friends is the mark of a remarkable writer.
Eve
Dec 11, 2011 Eve rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It has combat action, violence, robots and cyber warfare. It's a fun novel to read to pass the time. I intend on reading more 'Jake Grafton Novels.'
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Day of Wrath
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Jake Grafton (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton #3)
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton #4)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton #5)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton #7)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11; Tommy Carmellini #7)