Start by marking “The Secret of the Glass” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Glass

The Secret of the Glass

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Published (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Glass

Marie

Donna Russo Morin tackles seventeenth century Venice in her newest novel, The Secret of the Glass. She writes of many underlying themes while she tells the story of Sophia, a girl who is doomed to marry a nobleman against her wishes. She is the eldest child of a glassmaking family, and as such, she is the only daughter that is allowed to marry, bringing with her the inheritance of the lucrative glass factory that has been in heritage for years. The remaining daughters will be forced to enter a c
Sx
When I finished this book, I only felt immense relief. It was so dry, I took twice as long as usual to read it. While it was clear Morin paid exquisite attention to detail and tried to acquaint the reader to 17th century Venice, it was educational, but there was lack of life infused to the book - it read more like a dry textbook. I've learnt a lot about Venice, but took nothing away from the characters, which was what I'd have wanted more.

Also, what was with the about-turn of one of the major ch
Tara Chevrestt
Having read The Courtier's Secret and enjoyed it for the most part, I gladly forked over ten dollars to Amazon for this book and gleefully picked it up. A quarter into it, I realized I wasted my money. WAY too many adjectives. I don't need to know a building's entire history as well as facade and color. Who cares how the dresses blow in the wind exactly?? One word would be adequate. I don't need nine. The prose.. tho I realize these are not women of the 21st century, they are a good 16, 17 years ...more
Penny Ramirez
Ugh. There are many reasons why I don't much like historical fiction, and this book pretty much had them all. I guess it was 2.5 stars - I sort of liked parts of it. Far too much descriptive language - excessive descriptions of clothing and locations. Crappily edited grammar. Are there no editors on this planet anymore? Sigh.

Not exactly sure why this was considered in a romance contest - yes, there was a romance in the book, but it was by FAR not the main plot line, and only barely a HEA.
Indiaskye
I'll admit it --- the gorgeous cover made me buy this book. The premise sounded interesting, as well, but it was mainly the cover (which is really one of the most beautiful I've ever seen for a historical fiction novel).

Unfortunately, the writing was dry and stilted, and the dialogue was really bad. The characters were sketchy --- I didn't feel like I really learned much about any of them.

I gave up halfway through the book --- I could just not make myself finish this one.
James Sajo
Pretty good story, but the writing style is too close to romance novel for me. Too much simile and metaphor that seemed over-the-top-bosom-heaving for my taste. Three or four chapters were straight out of the romance genre. Best part was the epilogue...
I just could not get into this book--the author uses far too many unnecessary adjectives and forced metaphors.
Heather
It took to long to get me hooked. It was okay.
Laurie
Kept getting distracted
Lucy
Right from the start I knew I would be interested in reading THE SECRET OF THE GLASS. How could I pass up a novel on fabulous 17 c Venice and the art of glassmaking? I was hooked from the beginning. Sophia Fiolario, the eldest of Zeno Fiolario’s three daughters, learned the secret of this art.

Taught by her father, and with his comsent, Sophia dared to create the glass- but at a very dangerous price. Women were banned from working the glass and anyone discovered of doing so would risk imprisonmen
Allie
I tend to really enjoy historical fiction that deals with a specific craft, especially crafts of artistic merit. Take The Queen’s Dollmaker for example. I loved learning about the details of 18th century dollmaking and all the techniques involved in achieving what was then considered a masterpiece. The same thing goes for The Secret of the Glass. The aspect that intrigued me the most was the inclusion of the glassmaking process. Perhaps it is the artistic side of me or the intrinsic businesswoma ...more
Jeannie Mancini
Donna Russo Morin's second historical novel "The Secret of the Glass" takes place in 17th century Venice among the courts and canals of Le Serenissima's Island of Murano. For centuries Murano has been renowned for the gorgeous and shimmering glass it creates. Many families have taught generation after generation, the secret of glass making, a secret forbidden to leave the island.

With polished writing and a penchant for historical detail, Morin tells her story of young Sophia, daughter of Murano
Amber
Jun 28, 2010 Amber rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in 17th century Venice.
The over use of simile was a stabbing annoyance throughout this book. Some flowed beautifully with the story but most jolted me out of the narrative every time they made an appearance. These occurred when a modification of the same sentence would have flowed better. They also did not quite fit into the narrative, evoking imagery that really had nothing to do with the scene and did not add any value to it.

A few examples:

Hidden deep within its bowels, like the putrid and grotesque underbelly of a
Heather
Sophia Fiolario is the daughter of one of the great glassmakers of Murano. The making of the glass is a secret that only the men of Murano are allowed to know or partake in – except one woman knows the secret – Sophia. Sophia is betrothed to marry a man that she despises and who really has no interest in her – except so that he can carry on his own interests. At the same time she falls in love with someone she can’t have. As her life starts to spiral out of control, Sophia worries as to what wil ...more
Bookworm
When author Donna Russo Morin contacted me about reading and reviewing her book The Secret of the Glass, I was tickled pink. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and I always enjoy delving into a story set in another time and place.

Set in Venice during the 17th century, The Secret of the Glass is a wonderfully woven story full of drama, romance and Venetian history.

Nineteen year old Sophia Fiolario comes from a family of glass makers, her father Zeno owns a successful glass making fa
Amanda
In this second historical novel by author Donna Russo Morin, readers are welcomed to the luscious, secret world of 17th century Venice, where the Murano glassmakers create some of the most beautiful and most desirable glass in the world. The local authorities are so obsessed with keeping the process behind the glassmaking secret that they kill any glassmaker who dares to leave Venice.

After three glassmakers are killed for attempting to leave the city, the Murano glassmakers are in an uproar. Sop
Cheryl
Sophia Fiolario is the daughter of the famous Fiolario glass makers. Her father is one of the most sought after glass makers. There is just one problem…for the past several years it has been Sophia and not her father who has been making the blown glass pieces. If any one were to ever learn that Sophia knew the secret of the glass there will be serious consequences.

Sophia’s parents plan to marry Sophia off to Pasquale da Fuligna. Sophia is devastated by the arrangement. First off, Pasquale is ol
Romancing the Book
Review by Stephanie

Karielle
Blurb: The Murano glassmakers of Venice are celebrated and revered. But now three are dead, killed for attempting to leave the city that both prized their work and kept them prisoner. For in this, the 17th century, the secret of their craft must, by law, never leave Venetian shores. Yet there is someone who keeps the secret while defying tradition. She is Sophia Fiolario, and she, too, is a glassmaker. Her crime is being a woman --Sophia is well aware that her family would be crushed by scandal ...more
Dana
Sophia Fiolario is the daughter of renown glass-maker Zeno Fiolario of Murano. This is the early 1600s and it is forbidden for glass-makers to leave Murano under punishment of death. Zeno has taught his daughter the secrets and she is making beautiful glassware during the night. If anyone should find out that a woman is making glass, there would be a huge scandal and Sophia's life could be in danger.

Zeno has started to show signs of dementia which would put his family at risk since there are no
Lori Anderson
I picked this book up because one, I'm a glass bead maker, and two, I lived for a short time in Venice, Italy. That being said, this book had a lot of potential, but fizzled short of that potential.

The biggest issue I had with the book was the constant use of Italian words, usually without any necessary reason to, and almost always without defining them. Fortunately, I know Italian, but for a reader who does not, this would almost certainly turn them off. I just didn't see WHY she had to insert
Judith
A historical novel set in Renaissance Venice--a woman who is secretly working as a master glass blower--a deed that would ruin her social reputation and bring down the family--and filled with the history of Venice of that day. That's just what was a problem for me. I like to know the politics of the times and some of the key players, but this went on for pages and pages, and I think the love story just got lost. Sophie is now betrothed to a man who only wants her family money, who has clear inte ...more
Melissa Reid
If you have ever wanted to get to know the sumptuous, sophisticated, wealthy, not-quite-maiden aunt of the Harlequin Romance novels, this is the book for you!! A sensual, seductive read with enough history and glass blowing woven in to give the story some serious substance. Wonderful details and if you have ever been to Venice, even more enticing of a read. I was a little bit disappointed by the final 10 pages or so, however. Not that it wasn't a satisfying end to the tale, because it certainly ...more
Rai
This book is not what I expected. And sometimes I liked it... and sometimes I didn't. There is all together too much random Italian thrown in. I understand that it is set in Italy... however it is written in English. And using random Italian words distracted me rather then made me feel more immersed. Especially the way they would throw the translation in as well.
Victoria
This story was slow to start, but then became engaging and more enjoyable. It's much like Donna Russo Morin's other works so if you have read any others you will know what to expect. There is a heroine, who has a secret ability that places her outside expected gender norms of the setting, and there is a conflict which threatens her chance at love while exposing her "terrible" secret/ability. In this case it's the ability to create glass.

I liked it, I just wish there was a bit more romance and a
Jess
Morin's too-liberal use of Italian words - without explanations or translations* - detracted from the overall experience of reading this book. The plot was nothing fresh, but lavish historical details and strong characterization saved this from being just another historical chick-lit novel.

*Inferring from contextual clues and similarities to English and Latin can only get you so far.
I had a harder time getting into this book. It was full of details and the story would almost stall out before it picked up again. The author threw in a lot of Italian words and while i know the intent was to sink the reader into the Italian culture it actually made it more difficult. It was ok= definitely not one of my favorites by any means!
Tanzanite
Likeable story about the daughter of one of Murano's glassmakers but the story gets bogged down with too many adjectives and Italian words/phrases. Complete review at: http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/201...
Jessica
I actually really enjoyed this book. I wannted a little more. For some reason it seemed to end rather abruptly. I loved the history, the intrigue, everything about this book really. The beginning was hard to get through though.
Jillian Kern
At first, I found the storyline to be a bit unoriginal, but this book one me over with the plot twist at the ending. Very clever, and the author managed to surprise me, which is rare!
  • The Venetian Mask
  • O, Juliet
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • The Venetian Contract
  • By The King's Design
  • The Princess of Nowhere
  • His Last Duchess
  • Lucrezia Borgia and the Mother of Poisons
  • The Countess and the King: A Novel of the Countess of Dorchester and King James II
  • Wicked Company
  • Penelope's Daughter
  • The King's Daughter
  • The Borgia Mistress (The Poisoner Mysteries, #3)
  • The Lion and the Rose (The Borgias, #2)
  • The Queen's Mistake (In the Court of Henry VIII, #2)
  • The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi
  • The Red Lily Crown: A Novel of Medici Florence
Donna Russo Morin is the award winning of author of historical fiction. A graduate of the University of Rhode Island, she lives near the shore with her two sons, Devon and Dylan, her greatest works in progress.

Donna enjoys meeting with book groups in person and via Skype chat. Visit her website at www.donnarussomorin.com;
friend her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Donna.Russo.M...;
More about Donna Russo Morin...
The King's Agent To Serve a King The Courtier's Secret