Start by marking “Cold Black Hearts” as Want to Read:
Cold Black Hearts

Cold Black Hearts

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A murder investigation brings former police detective Annie O'Brien in contact with the supernatural forces that destroyed the town of New Dominion nearly 100 years earlier.
Published May 26th 2009 by Jove Books

To ask other readers questions about Cold Black Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Black Hearts

Scott
This is an intriguing mix of a police procedural and supernatural mystery. My problems were with the pacing. There were long stretches of not much happening, followed by hints of great things to come. The lead-up to the ending really had me engaged, but the last 10% was full of long expositional monologues that were very convoluted. Overall an entertaining read, but the "arrangements" (to put it in terms of music) didn't totally work for me.
Ben Wand
The book's premise was interesting to me - promising plot-twists and a creepy environment. Cold Black Hearts absolutely fulfilled this promise.

The book does start out with a slow build, but it still kept things interesting, and the author sprinkles in tidbits that fill out the story and does an awesome job of building suspense until the climactic final 100 pages, when things really pick up and the twists come fast and furious.

The cool thing about the twists and turns this story takes is that the
Ruby
While I always try to find positive aspects of every book I read, I simply couldn’t do it with this book. I found it hard to like anything about this book. The plot seemed so interesting at first, but once I began reading, I realized that I really didn’t care what happened to the people of New Dominion, nor to the main character Annie O’Brien. There was not one character that made me want to hope that the townspeople could be saved, and I felt that the writer gave Annie a “gift” that seemed so o ...more
Sherry
I feel that the author in this book didn't live up to the reviews he recieved for his other titles. The scenes in the storyline seemed jerky and there didn't seem to be a free flowing plot.

I did appreciate the main character Annie O'Brien and I loved the setting of the story in the American southwest desert and the plot did show original and individual thought. I will read more from this author but I don't think I would reccommend this particular title.
Mommacat
Cold Black Hearts marks the end to The Border Trilogy. What an exciting finish it was. Something is going on in New Mexico and I don't think I want to be around those parts...reading about it is just fine with me. There's no turning back once you start this thriller - the writing is tight and intense, flowing from one chapter to the next like that river his first book is named for.

A highly recommended read!
Tracy
I had no idea what to expect with this book, so it was a bit surprising. Starts out as a good, suspenseful murder mystery but morphs into something so nuts that by the end I thought someone had slipped me some LSD. If you're into supernatural jazz, then you'll like it.
Dan Beaver
Cold Black Hearts was the first Jeff Mariotte book I read, but it certainly wasn't the last. Jeff has excellent pacing and great plots in all of his books. If you haven't discovered him yet, you shld.
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Reham hussein
Reham hussein marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Shankia Tinsley
Shankia Tinsley marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
William Bevill
William Bevill marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2012
Ldoutt
Ldoutt added it
Oct 25, 2012
A
A added it
Aug 09, 2012
River Runs Red Season of the Wolf Missing White Girl Empty Rooms (The Krebbs and Robey Casefiles) Janey in Amber