Godplayer

Godplayer

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  2,211 ratings  ·  53 reviews
There have always been many ways to die. But now, in an ultra-modern hospital, there was a new one . . . the most horrifying one of all. "A tissue-tingling thriller . . . keeps you poised on the sleek points of steel pins and flashing hypodermic needles".--Detroit News.
Published June 10th 1984 by Signet (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Godplayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Godplayer

Kylee
Roberta
I liked it a lot, Cook is one of my favourite writers in the pure entertainment department. Obviously the medical side of the story looks a bit updated, but the mad scientist is always an engaging character. Cassie, the protagonist, is a little too princess-y for my taste but she turns out ok in the end.
Dokusha
In einem Krankenhaus sterben immer mehr Patienten, die eigentlich schon auf dem Weg zur Besserung waren. Einigen Ärzten kommt dies spanisch vor, und sie vermuten, daß da jemand nachhilft. Mit den Untersuchungen der Fälle begeben sie sich aber in gefährliche Gefilde...
Genau die passende Urlaubslektüre. Nicht sonderlich anspruchsvoll, aber ausreichend spannend, um einen zum Weiterlesen zu animieren. Mein Verdacht zum Täter hat öfter mal geschwankt, zeitweise legt Robin Cook gute falsche Spuren. In...more
Prami
It was quite refreshing to read a medical thriller after so long. Robin Cook is as always at his best. I loved the plot, the suspense. Another good book by Robin Cook.
Tamra Parker-davis
I agree not one of Cook's best, just okay. I think some parts of the book drag and didn't have anything to do with the plot.
Elizabeth Noah Astle
Fiza Pathan
BOOK: Godplayer

AUTHOR: Robin Cook

This novel was a medical thriller classic. It was interesting & engaging…..two qualities that make a medical thriller work. The gripping ending was well written & the characters captivate the reader. The idea of SSD (Sudden Surgical Death) is well laid out in this book along with many other soul searching questions associated with the medical field. However, the main question put forward in this book is one which is still asked till this day………..who can j...more
Jorge
He leído ocho libros del doctor Robin Cook, el 75% han sido thrillers médicos de conspiraciones y experimentos que salieron al, del 25% restante, la mitad fue un libro de una conspiración por ocultar el tráfico de tesoros arqueloógicos en Egipto y la otra mitad fue un excelente libro de ciencia ficción con muchísimos cambios inesperados en la trama. Todos esos libros tienen un perfecto balance de suspenso, acción, erotismo, sorpresas y dilemas éticos.

Por desgracia Godplayer (o "El Falso Dios", e...more
Kristin
An OK book, but not one of Cook's best. I could see most of the plot twists coming a mile away, so that sort of took the suspense out of it. One of the story lines I thought was a key plot turns out to be unanswered by the end and nearly forgotten. The final pages hint that there could be a sequel, but to the best of my knowledge, there wasn't one.
I didn't feel like I knew enough about any of the characters save the main character, Cassi, and characters would reappear a couple chapters after int...more
Mary
Dec 12, 2011 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
When Cassandra Cassidy meets Thomas Kingsley, it's love at first sight for both of them. Deeply in love, the two gifted doctors are soon married. As Cassandra's degenerative eye disease forces her to switch from her chosen field to psychiatry she tries to make the best of her situation.

Around other people he is wonderful, but as he begins a meteoric rise in the hospital, alone with her, Thomas is hostile and full of rage. Soon, the fairytale begins to crumble. Desperate to save her marriage, Cas...more
Patricia Newman
Terrifying

Terrifying

written with all Robin Cook intrigue. A real page Turner that is guaranteed to keep you up if you are ever hospitalized.
Judith
This was an easy read, really grabs your attention right away. the dialogue is engaging and the characters are easy to relate to. The plot was a little predictable unfortunately, and the ending is VERY abrupt and not very thrilling. This is the first novel I've read by Cook, though, and I will say it made me want to try a few more of his books.
Sarah Pongracz
A good thriller, but not a good book to read if you or someone you know is in the hospital. Too close to home.
Elizabeth
Did not like this book at all. It was very boring, the main characters were pathetic. There were too many loose ends that never got resolved. Characters came into the picture that didn't do anything of any significance. There was no action throughout the majority of the book. Everything happened in the last 100 pages or so. The only reason I finished it at all is because I can't quit reading a book right in the middle of one otherwise I would have cast it aside. Quite a disappointment coming fro...more
Karunakaran N.
Godplayer by Robin Cook... The happenings in hospitals, some doctors taking up the role of the God. Thomas a cardiac specialist plays the role of God... Who should live or die... goes to extent of plotting his wife Cassidy's murder. The author goes in detail as usual on the various medical conditions... Finally concludes that a doctor is invariably a Godplayer. This is out of his professional perspective.... Nice read.
Haritha
I like Robin Cook's novels and find them a wonderful source of medical information. Godplayer is one of Cook's earlier novels and his lack of experience as an author clearly shows though. The character development was good initially, but in the end, it felt very impertinent to the central theme of the book. There seemed to be a lot of loose ends that needed wrapping up. I read this book in one sitting on a four hour flight in the midst of a 24 hour journey, so my tiredness might have made me les...more
Saman Jilani
Left a bad after-taste...
Suby
This book by Robin Cook is not as impressive as his other works.
A woman doctor who has had diabetics since she was 8, a top cardiac surgeon who gets addicted to prescription drugs and wants to be able to decide who must get the chance for surgery over others and their tryst with their lives makes the story. Finally the author takes the easy way out and kills the surgeon in a auto accident leaving the rest of the characters to carryon with whatever agenda they have for their lives.
Not very impres...more
Monica Willyard
Apr 06, 2009 Monica Willyard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: medical mystery lovers and Robin Cook fans
Shelves: bookshare
This is some of Robin Cook's early writing. It's not as well-developed as later books, but it is still a good, solid mystery. I especially liked reading it because I could see how Mr. Cook's writing evolved and improved over time. It was like seeing a bud before a flower blooms. Oh, and don't read this book if you're in the hospital or are having surgery very soon. You'll think about it at night as you peer into the shadows around your bed. This is the voice of experience talking. :)
Vicki G
It was too close to what it's like at work, I felt like there was no difference between the way doctors where I work act and the way the one in the book is.
I read to get away from them not closer. I only like a few cardiologists w/ whom I work, but the character in the book was like the ones I DON'T like, so I decided to read a different book.
Dr. T., cardiologist and cardiac surgeon, is the best doctor where I work.
Auntie Pam
in casa avevo al saga di Robin Cook e non mi ero mai decisa a leggerla, forse perchè erano le letture di mia sorella e visto che non andiamo d'accordo su nulla pensavo che non mi sarebbe piaciuto nessuno dei suoi libri. Devo ricredermi, questo libro è emozionante e scorre bene, ti lascia una certa suspance e ti fa dubitare fino alla fine su ogni personaggio. Ben scritto davvero!
Natalie
While the plot was interesting the characters were so unlikeable that it was hard to make it through the book. I own this but not for long - it's going in the pile of books to donate to the library.

About 1/3 of the way through I realized I'd read it before and hadn't liked it much then either. Thank goodness Goodreads can save me from that in the future :-)
Jaime
I generally enjoy Robin Cook’s books, because it fits in with my obsession with medical-themed entertainment. But I was a little bit annoyed by this one. The main character was so willing to let everyone in her life treat her like crap. It just made me want to yell at her. But at least the book did keep you guessing, as far as the actual plot was concerned.
Kristen
I usually shy away from this type of book, but this was included in a volume of Readers' Digest condensed books, so I decided to read all five stories. I was surprised at how well I liked it. I don't think that I'll read another Robin Cook for a while, though. He scared the bejeebers out of me =0
Amr Ghazy
That one was a good thriller.
I enjoyed how Robin Cook made go through pages with many possibilties how was that going to end, although I'd thought of how it went by, but that was not an easy guess.
I guess I'd be happy to read more like this one
Alex
First book I've read by this author. I really Like the authors writing style. The writing flows well and is filled with suspense, action, while also revealing the thoughts if sine of the characters. Definitely recommend!
Vicki
This is a fine book and I enjoyed it while reading it, but like all other Robin Cook books, I will probably forget the plot or confuse it with other books that he has written. It was definitely a good vacation read.
Bnschmid
I believe I've read all of Robin Cook's novels and enjoyed them all.Godplayer is an old one,written in 1984 I believe.It was full of intrigue and suspence,but wasn't one of my favorites.Worth reading though.
Cathie
This was my first novel of robin cook and I loved the medical aspect. Kept me interested throughout the story, will be reading more of his novels. Thankfully there are a lot!
  • Natural Causes
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • The Case of Lucy Bending
  • Cold Plague
  • The Select
  • Coroner
  • The Architect (Frank Clevenger, #6)
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • A Darker Place
  • Flawless
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b...more
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion