Wanting (Wanting, #1)
read book

Wanting (Wanting #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,934 ratings  ·  226 reviews
Free short fiction. Written for the M/M Romance Group's "Hot Summer Days" anthology.

Jonah Beckett has been in love with his older brother's best friend, Laurie, since he was thirteen-years-old. When his boyfriend, Dirk, breaks up with him for refusing to put out, Jonah uses his heartbreak over the situation as an excuse to ask Laurie to teach him all about sex before he st...more
ebook, 2nd Edition, 47 pages
Published January 19th 2014 by Piper Vaughn (first published July 1st 2011)

july
Mar 25, 2014 july rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: shorts
Sweet-natured and satisfying romance fit for all-purpose cockle-warming and recreational squeeplosion.

Adorable, even with slight inaccuracies regarding the deflowering of an ambitious and impatient youth; most especially with the taste of teenaged sem—aaaaaand that's about where I'm gonna end this review, here in the great State of NY, where the age of consent remains 17.
Mona
**5 Wanting & Keeping Stars**

LOVED this adorable and heartfelt read!! Its as sweet as sugar and as cute as a button...if buttons equal sexy innocent virgins and kindhearted, irresistible hunks! Wanting is simply... lovable.

"I want you," Laurie said, and those three words were even hotter than that look. "Don't ever doubt it." And then Laurie kissed him.

description
It's you, it's you, it's all for you
Everything I do
I tell you all the time
Heaven is a place on earth with you
Tell me all the things you wan
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Updated/changed review because the original file I read was out of order and reading the correct order my feelings changed. To see what changed you can see the comments under this review but there are spoilers in the comments.
----------------------------------------------

The writing was great and engaging and I didn't want to stop reading. The story is very enjoyable. I enjoyed the relationship between the two main characters even if (view spoiler)...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book was exactly what I needed. It is sweet, very romantic, and just a lovely read. I have a soft spot for first loves and Piper Vaughn did this concept justice. The story had a very nice almost soothing quality to it. It was a perfect, angst-free, pick-me-up kind of read.
Tammy Walton Grant
One of the best things about GoodReads is the exposure you get to different types of books. (The other great thing is meeting tons of really great people, which also ties in to this review.)

I had never really considered picking up a GLBT romance. No reason, really, other than I'm a heterosexual female and the thought of reading a romance between two men had simply never occurred to me.

Until I joined GoodReads, that is, and befriended a lady named Harper. In the midst of our discussions about the...more
Sara
I love the stories that Piper Vaughn tells. They are always exactly what I need when I need them. That warm tingly feeling wraps around me and I am in my happy place. It's a wonderful place to be, you have to trust me.

This was adorable! Goodness. Sweet young Jonah asking his lifetime crush to take his virginity? The balls it took to put himself out there like that! Sure, he made up a story but he was desperate and it's Laurie after all. I loved the POV switch between the boys, they are both so...more
Susan

Perfect balance of sweet & sexy.

Jonah has a crush on his brother's best friend Laurie (<-nickname...thank goodness...) and tries to manipulate a way to get him to fall for him. He creates a fake boyfriend, who in turn cheats on him and breaks up with him. So, he asks Laurie if he'll be his cherry-popper so he doesn't have to go away to college a virgin.

Perfectly acceptable premise...right? :) In fact, the book has minimal angst and the relationship between Jonah and Laurie grow...more
Lenore
Swe-et!! Four fluffy stars for making me feel like a kid allowed to eat candy floss without having to beg first.

I went all "awwwww, boys in love" and "ohhhhh, hot boyzzzz" and "awwwwww, happy happy boys" while reading this.

Zero angst (ok, there's like 0.1% angst in there), 100% sweetness without being too syruppy.

I should create a shelf called "m/m fairy tales" for stories like this one! *le sigh*
Ami
This is a beautiful story!! Love it ... though I have to admit, that somehow I mixed up the names all the time. In my mind, Laurie is the virgin and Jonah is the older one (though it is supposed to be the other way around). I don't know why, maybe because it's the sense of their name in my head. But this is so, so wonderful and sweet and totally fluff-worthy :). Love the nice epilogue
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Hot Summer Days event.

I'm not sure which adjective to use to describe this story; sweet, adorable, lovely, wonderful, fun, enjoyable, so effen cute! So obviously I liked it. Other short-story writers need to take a page out of Piper Vaughn's book. When we as reviewers say, "well the character development wasn't great but it was just a short story so..." no more excuses. In 66 pages we were introduced to a twenty year friendship that felt easy and real...more
Piper Vaughn
The 2nd edition of this story was uploaded today, 1/19/14. The epub is available to download here on GR. If you're looking for the PDF or MOBI files, those can be found at ARe or you can download it directly to your Kindle from Amazon. The overall story is the same, but it's been re-edited and the epilogue was removed. The epilogue is available on my blog for whoever might want to read it, but as Laurie and Jo's story will eventually be continued in Ringing True, I felt the epilogue wasn't neces...more
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Holy fuck that was so bloody adorable. I loved this book. A definite curl-up-in-a-chair-by-the-window-with-pouring-rain-pounding-outside-and-some-classical-music-playing kind of book. Not only was it adorable, it was sexy as hell with majorly loveable characters and cute/funny scenes.

A fabulous read.

Definitely recommended for those who enjoy this genre, and for those who want taste this genre and are, in a sense, Gaymance virgins. Not at all unlike our lovely MC . . .
Chris
4.5 stars. Very good short m/m romance about college student Laurie who's taken by surprise when his best friend's younger (18-year old) brother informs him that he wants Laurie to take his virginity.
Bev
Really enjoyed this sweet little story from 2011's Hot Summer Days event featuring Jonah and Laurie and the trials and tribulations they encounter on their way to a relationship. 4 stars.
SheReadsALot
Aww...this is a cute short story of young love and sprinklings of young lust thrown. I liked it a lot. Great story to read in between books.
Shell
Aww! *big dramatic sappy sigh* I loved this! Jonah and Laurie were absolutely adorable together! It wasn't exactly what I was expecting from the blurb, but that's ok, I enjoy a nice surprise every now and again!

Jonah has been in love with Laurie since, well, practically puberty, but as far as he knows Laurie sees him as nothing more than his best friend's younger brother. Thus, he devises a plan, of sorts, to get Laurie to really see him. His not-so-well-thought-out plan works (which is lucky fo...more
Zach Sweets
I've always enjoyed all stories Piper wrote. She made the characters more real and it is so easy to picture them inside my head. It's really sweet friends to lovers story as well.

Sure, there's a plot about drinking underage...well...I've met SO many people start drinking right after high school at a house party or "forest" party and it is entirely normal. I had my first party at a forest in Santa Cruz and I was only 18 years old. Anyway, that wasn't the point.

The way she have written the dialo...more
SilkeeeeeeReads
Sweet, hot shorter story.

Re-read - 2/18/14
I remember this story. I am unsure how long ago I read it but apparently long enough that Amazon didn't give me the warning that I had already bought it. It is still as satisfying little read. Sweet....more
Claire Robinson
My second foray into the M/M genre was infinitely more enjoyable than the first.

Well worth a read if you are new to M/M, I will read more after enjoying Wanting.
Leaundra
Awww this was such a sweet story. I loved Laurie and Jonah they were so sweet together. I just love first love.
Tam
Apr 12, 2012 Tam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Jonah is 18 and ready to lose his virginity and he knows who he wants to do it. His brother’s best friend Laurie. He makes up a story about being dumped then asks Laurie to do it. Despite being attracted Laurie says no, it’s his best friend’s brother. However once he tells Marcus why he’s freaking, Marcus says go for it, he trusts Laurie won’t do his little brother wrong. This takes place during summer vacation where all three are working for Jonah and Marcus’ grandparents at the lake. It was sw...more
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
Wow - it couldn't get any better in terms of debuting your talent than this!!! From the very first line (which, by the way, is probably one of the biggest attention grabbers I've seen:) through all of the amazing detail packed into this story, I was completely enthralled and loved it!

It was really unique to see the "your brother is my best friend" card play out with positive encouragement and acceptance of the relationship - nice! Jonah and Laurie were fantastic together; just the right combina...more
Sara Winters
This story was eleven kinds of awesome and I'm so glad I got to read it. I don't even think I can name one thing about it I loved because the entire thing was so good - characters, description, writing. Can't wait to read more.

On my second read three years later: I still love Jonah and Laurie. Man, I wish this story was longer. Can't wait to read the third installment of their story later.
Isabella
If the first line of the book doesn't get you, then God help you, because this book rocks!
Laurie and Jonah are just too sweet and too funny for words. And if this is what the author, lovely lady, starts with, then I'm looking forward to a beautiful writing career.

Piper, please keep writing so we can keep reading.
Meggie
I don't really know what people see in this short story. The plot was built upon a lie, more or less everything starts with a lie. And that's really irritating start toward first sex experience if we know that Jonah has been in love with Laurie for many years. The plotted story was shit!!
Monique
This was such a sweet read! I loved Jonah and his adorable superhero underwear. This couple was just so adorable together.

It's a shame the sequel is so expensive. $2 for only like 20 pages. This does not make me happy.
Mel
Short, cute story. Way too saccharine for my liking though, despite the effort to steam it up. I also felt the characters didn't really feel like adolescent boys.
Rounding it up to three stars since it was free.
Lauren Lewis
This was an adorable read. Sweet, funny, moving, and just... perfect! I loved absolutely everything about it. Piper Vaughn is definitely one to watch; I can't wait to read more of her work :)
Susan65-Coug "Miss Behaving"
Very sweet coming of age story. Jonah could not ask for a better man than Laurie to introduce him to love and all the yumminess that comes with it.
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • Bridges (Bridges, #1)
  • Taken
  • Heatstroke
  • Open Tackle (Hot Summer Days)
  • A Little Bit Country
  • Sink or Swim (Don't Read in the Closet)
  • I Am the Highway
  • It's the End of the World As We Know It (Don't Read in the Closet)
  • Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1)
  • Swept Away (Don't Read in the Closet)
  • Cupid's Beau
  • Heart and Soul
  • Sucker-Punch
  • Be a Bad Boy
  • Just Breathe Out
  • Whitetail Rock (Whitetail Rock, #1)
Piper Vaughn wrote her first love story at eleven and never looked back. Since then, she’s known that writing in some form was exactly what she wanted to do. A reader at the core, Piper loves nothing more than getting lost in a great book—fantasy, young adult, romance, she loves them all (and has a two thousand book library to prove it!). She grew up in Chicago, in an ethnically diverse neighborho...more
More about Piper Vaughn...
One Small Thing (One Thing, #1) Moonlight Becomes You (Lucky Moon, #1) The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2) One True Thing (One Thing, #2) An Oral Fixation  (Love is Always Write)

“Clearly his inner teenage girl was trying to claw her way to the surface.” 0 likes