Start by marking “Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field” as Want to Read:
Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field

Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field (Rust #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  640 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
Rust is a high-octane adventure set in the prairie lands of an unknown time. Life on the Taylor family farm was difficult enough before Jet Jones crashes into the barn, chased by a giant decommissioned war robot! Oldest son Roman Taylor struggles to keep his family’s small farm afloat as the area heals from a devastating world war. While the rest of his family may not trus ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by Archaia (first published September 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rust Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rust Vol. 1

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 by Hiromu Arakawa
My Graphic Novels and Manga
62nd out of 78 books — 20 voters
Tagged by Joseph M. ChironCinder by Marissa MeyerDwellers of Ahwahnee by Sheryl SealMay Day by Thom  StarkWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   Rose
Why Aren't These a Movie Yet?!
122nd out of 339 books — 238 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Nov 19, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
A spectacular start to a series. Rust is different from most of the comics that I read. There's no superheroes. The setting isn't specified, but it has the feel of something set in the Midwest after World War I. And it is after a war, one where robots did much of the fighting. And now those robots are coming to a small farm, headed by oldest son Roman.

Rust is instantly striking, but it's not just because of the big robots. It's the sepia tone of the art, and how much Lepp relies on it to tell h
Scott Asher
Apr 08, 2012 Scott Asher rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
After a war fought by robots on behalf of their human masters, a post-war farmer and tinkerer works on salvaged robot parts to make ends meet. It’s an idyllic setting for a sepia story until a rocket boy lands in his field along with a towering war mech and they start fighting each other.

Rust
Visitor in the Field
by Royden Lepp
Archaia
December 2011

You know something is different about Rust when you start reading and find the title page after 30 pages of prologue about the war and during that prolog
Cameron
Jan 26, 2016 Cameron rated it it was amazing
Rayden Lepp’s Rust: Visitor in the Field.
Cameron Stoner

The novel named Rust consists of five characters and a couple of robots. The story takes place forty-eight years ago in a war with a bunch of dead humans and robots. With one human remaining, he tries to obtain parts from the broken robots. He eventually escapes in one piece. Although this character is very interesting, he does not go into play in this story very much. Roman on the other hand is the main character. He lives on a big farm wi
Caroline
Feb 02, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Through the years, machines have been invented to help humans work more efficiently and live more comfortably. Robotics have come a long way from merely cleaning the floor and assembling parts in a factory. Now there are robotics that help detect bombs in buildings or are submerged in the sea to search for wrecks. It's not a stretch of one's imagination to think of a day when artificial intelligent machines will be designed to help fight our wars for us so that humans don't have to.

In this first
Terri
Jul 15, 2013 Terri added it
Fantastically beautiful graphic novel. The book opens in a battlefield, where humans and robots fight each other on both sides (how this came to be is explained about midway through the book, but it is not a man vs machine kind of thing). This part of the book is illustration only-showing the various types of fighting machines, both large and small, and jet-powered flying humans. Fifty years later and it is present day. The story is narrated by Roman, a young farmer, in the form of letters to hi ...more
Meredith
This is amazing. How is not getting more attention? Apparently my library linked this graphic novel back in March and I never saw it once until a couple of days ago because it's circulated nine times since then.

Rust has a dieselpunk feel to it, and takes place forty years after a war involving humans and rogue machinery--machinery that now threatens to destroy Roman Taylor's peaceful farm and family.

This is a great read for 5th and 6th graders, especially guys, people looking for tamer dystopian
Emily Luebke
Apr 07, 2016 Emily Luebke rated it really liked it
I had a few free hours between work and a haircut yesterday so I stopped at a library (as you do) and discovered this book randomly. I sat down and had it finished in 30 minutes. Possibly because it is a YA graphic novel and possibly because I finally found a GN that does what I apparently need them to do.

I have this problem with graphic novels and comic books. They seldom hold my interest. I have figured out that (possibly due to my dyslexia) I have a really hard time focusing on words and pict
Daniel Shellenbarger
One day, as Roman Taylor is doing the chores on his farm, a giant robot appears, engaged in a deadly struggle with Jet, a strange boy with a jetpack. Roman helps the kid and Jet ends up staying on the farm and helping out, though there are mysteries surrounding him, mysteries that go back to the terrible war.

I'd noticed this book several times while shelving at the library and was drawn to the cover's Rocketeer-like vibe (I was obsessed with Rocketeer as a kid and it's still one of my favorite m
Matt Yurkovich
Apr 30, 2015 Matt Yurkovich rated it it was amazing
Before I start this review, I would just like to inform you that this is a book review for the first and second book of the "Rust" series. If you would not want to read a review for the second book, please do not read because it will contain SPOILIERS!

The first and second book of the "Rust" takes place on a farm after a war, leaving a boy named Roman Taylor struggling to keep his families farm operating without anyone's help. The war was based off of fighting machines, so Roman thought that he w
Stewart Tame
May 02, 2015 Stewart Tame rated it really liked it
This is a wonderfully odd book. There are some steampunkish elements, and I suppose a case could be made for including it in that genre. There are flashbacks to a conflict that asppears, from the uniforms, to be World War I, but there are robots fighting, wonderful gasoline-powered robots. There are also boys with jetpacks, but it's not some fantasy conflict, rather a properly violent and bloody war. In the present day, we have Roman, a young man whose father is away somewhere. Roman writes lett ...more
rick.
Rust is a dieselpunk graphic novel which is a little bit Iron Man and a bit Astro Boy. During The Great War allied forces created mechanical soldiers and aerialists with rocket packs. They won the war and a generation later the machines are slaves used for farming and industrial tasks. In the first volume of Rust we are introduced to Roman Taylor, a wheat farmer struggling to provide for his family. He is repairing an old mechanical soldier to help around the farm when a boy with a rock pack, Je ...more
Randy
Roman is trying to keep the family farm going now that his father has gone. He finds the task near impossible and without the help of the mysterious Jet, he would have long ago given up. He thinks that by rebuilding a robot from the last war to help with the tasks, that he will be able to keep the farm going for his family. jet doesn't want him to, but is not being clear on the reasons why he feels this way.

I picked this book up because the cover design caught my attention and the pace of the st
Adam
Nov 30, 2012 Adam rated it it was ok
Interesting in concept and visual style. But I wanted more story, and more character. Too many of the action scenes were like overly-detailed storyboarding; if at least 1/3 of those dialogue-less panels disappeared, no one would notice. Surprisingly little happens in 200 pages.
Lissibith
May 19, 2014 Lissibith rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-trades, sci-fi
This is a beautiful comic with an engaging idea and some fascinating "what if" questions, restrained somewhat by the fact that not much happens.

The world of Rust offers a reality where robots were used to help during World War II. But now, in the aftermath, they've been repurposed for other jobs and uses. Our main character is a farmer who seems unsure of his life, his farm, basically everything. And it turns out he has a most unusual farmhand.

Apparently robots weren't the only thing left over
Tessa
Nov 13, 2014 Tessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, speculative
Canadian alternate history scifi on a farm (I'm hoping in Saskatchewan). I thought the art was Jeff Lemire-like before I knew the author/artist was also Canadian. Is there a Canadian STYLE? Is it a coincidence? Does it matter?
Melissa Bennett
Aug 26, 2014 Melissa Bennett rated it liked it
I'm just starting to get into graphic novels. Enjoying them the more I read them. I would have totally passed on this one since it's usually not what I look to read in a graphic novel. I happened to be at Denver Comic Con looking at a different graphic novel (hoping that the author was there) when I was approached by the author of this book. At first I wasn't interested but as he described it, I decided to give it a try. Mind you, I have had a good many authors who are passionate about their boo ...more
Jason
Takes a little while to get going, but once it does, it really pulls you in. Plenty of mystery with enough clues scattered about to keep you from losing interest. Sepia illustrations are an excellent choice.
Renee
Mar 19, 2015 Renee rated it it was amazing
A beautiful mix of the familiar and future come together in the first volume of Royden Lepp’s graphic novel series Rust. The first volume unwraps a very intriguing past that involved war and the rise of robotics and machinery. Then you meet Roman, a farmer and a tinkerer, who runs into one of the great machines of the past and Jet Jones out in his field. Jet Jones isn’t your average guy he flies around with a jet pack. Jet and Roman have to use all their tricks to bring the massive beast machine ...more
Patricia
Jan 30, 2015 Patricia rated it it was ok
This was a creative graphic novel that depicts a future in which robots are built to do mankind's fighting and the uneasy relationship humans, at least a generation removed from the last war, have with the machines they rebuild to help them with their farm work. Is Jet Jones human or machine? Is he good or bad? I suppose I need to read the next installment to learn more.

It's a very quick read, even though I'm sure the drawings took quite a long time to make. I find the drawings, especially of hu
Ms. Pansulla
I picked this up because the second volume is part of the 2014 YALSA's The Hub Reading Challenge, which I am trying to finish as it winds up at the end of June. Gorgeous, sepia-toned inks gave the whole story a wonderfully nostalgic feel, even though the decidedly sci-fi premise is unspecified, date-wise. Gripping enough that I picked up volume 2 immediately upon finishing. I wanted a little more detail, plot-wise, but the scenes were so well-written, and there was so much to look at, that didn' ...more
Karissa
May 13, 2013 Karissa rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Rust graphic novel science fiction series. The second book is, Secrets of the Cell, and is already out. I found this to be a surprisingly engaging book with an interesting story, and very well done sepia toned illustrations.

Roman is having a hard enough time supporting his family farm when a young boy with a rocket pack, Jet Jones, crashes in his field while being chased by a giant robot. Most of Roman’s family thinks Jet is trouble waiting to happen, but Roman thin
Raina
Jul 18, 2014 Raina rated it really liked it
Personally, I came away from this with a bit of a shrug.
But when I told my teen bookclub that most of this book was made up of an epic battle between a giant robot and a boy with a jetpack on his back, the room got seriously excited.

The illustrations are notable for their color - all in browns (ahem, rusts). It's the story of a world where robots were developed for battle in maybe WWI. And now combat robots are an accepted part of life (although most of this volume takes place on a rural farm).
Maria Kramer
This first volume gives us an intriguing glimpse at a new fantasy world. Robots helped win a world war, but where are they now and what are they doing? During the story, two converge on Ronan Taylor's family farm -- both pursuing the mysterious new arrival who never takes off his goggles. What is the boy hiding? The art is a little crude, and there isn't much to the story except a teaser for future volumes, but overall it's a good comic and a quick, fun read.
Bookstorequeer
I was going to go to sleep but then I picked up this graphic novel and an hour or so later, I'm hooked like I knew I'd be.

There's enough mystery here to hook any war-historical fan and interesting effects in the art itself to intrigue the graphic novel aficionado. The faces threw me off a little but I love the blurry sense of movement and the consistent colour theme.

Definitely a good read for anyone looking for a good war-related historical mystery.
Brigid
Sep 04, 2015 Brigid rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: graphic novel fans
An oldest son, trying to keep the family farm running, and hoping for better things for his younger brother and sister. A mysterious stranger who literally crash-lands on the farm and stays on to help out. A beautifully rendered world in which machines were once used in war and now people try to redesign them for farm work and other peacetime duties. It's beautiful to look at and compelling to read.
Alison
Apr 20, 2014 Alison rated it it was amazing
The art and color palette of this GN are awesome. The author definitely sets up a great story and leaves me wanting to know more about Jet's Iron Man-ish machine chest implant thinger and why all of the machines are still programmed to kill. The whole dusty, mechanical feel of this graphic novel series is different but extremely intriguing. I can't wait to read more.
Whit Mattson
Sep 16, 2014 Whit Mattson rated it liked it
This one was interesting. It's a step above your standard "we made a steampunk comic" indie book. There were pains taken in weaving the idea into the universe seamlessly. The art is very evocative of the title in russet browns and sepia tones, aided by the high production value of the paper and cover. The plot itself is a bit slow, and a touch random. This could to develop into a very interesting series.
august e.
Feb 14, 2015 august e. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Royden Lepp's diesel-fueled debut intrigued me. Like so many superhero stories, this one is set in a sleepy post-war Midwestern village with one notable difference: there are no superheroes. Just boys trying to be men, sinister robots, and a mysterious fellow by the name of Jet Jones with plenty of secrets of his own.
Kest Schwartzman
Sep 08, 2014 Kest Schwartzman rated it liked it
the drawings are charming, the colouring grand, the story pretty good, and yet... euh.

Also- general confusion- it is specified that the war is "48 years earlier", the main character type appears to be no more than 30, and the main character was no less then 10 when his dad went to war? Can someone help me with the math?
Dolores
Mar 06, 2014 Dolores rated it it was amazing
The "Iron Giant" meets Steampunk meets post apocalyptic dust bowl in this completely addictive graphic novel. The sepia toned art works beautifully with the cryptic story that will keep curious readers turning the pages.
  • Cow Boy A Boy and His Horse
  • Return of the Dapper Men
  • Spera, Volume 1
  • Pandemonium
  • The Silver Six
  • Personal Demons (Hopeless, Maine, #1)

Rust (5 books)