Start by marking “Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field” as Want to Read:
Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field

Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field (Rust #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Rust is a high-octane adventure set in the prairie lands of an unknown time. Life on the Taylor family farm was difficult enough before Jet Jones crashes into the barn, chased by a giant decommissioned war robot! Oldest son Roman Taylor struggles to keep his family’s small farm afloat as the area heals from a devastating world war. While the rest of his family may not trus ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by Archaia (first published September 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rust Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rust Vol. 1

Sesana
A spectacular start to a series. Rust is different from most of the comics that I read. There's no superheroes. The setting isn't specified, but it has the feel of something set in the Midwest after World War I. And it is after a war, one where robots did much of the fighting. And now those robots are coming to a small farm, headed by oldest son Roman.

Rust is instantly striking, but it's not just because of the big robots. It's the sepia tone of the art, and how much Lepp relies on it to tell h
Scott Asher
After a war fought by robots on behalf of their human masters, a post-war farmer and tinkerer works on salvaged robot parts to make ends meet. It’s an idyllic setting for a sepia story until a rocket boy lands in his field along with a towering war mech and they start fighting each other.

Rust
Visitor in the Field
by Royden Lepp
Archaia
December 2011

You know something is different about Rust when you start reading and find the title page after 30 pages of prologue about the war and during that prolog
Caroline
Through the years, machines have been invented to help humans work more efficiently and live more comfortably. Robotics have come a long way from merely cleaning the floor and assembling parts in a factory. Now there are robotics that help detect bombs in buildings or are submerged in the sea to search for wrecks. It's not a stretch of one's imagination to think of a day when artificial intelligent machines will be designed to help fight our wars for us so that humans don't have to.

In this first
Terri
Jul 15, 2013 Terri added it
Fantastically beautiful graphic novel. The book opens in a battlefield, where humans and robots fight each other on both sides (how this came to be is explained about midway through the book, but it is not a man vs machine kind of thing). This part of the book is illustration only-showing the various types of fighting machines, both large and small, and jet-powered flying humans. Fifty years later and it is present day. The story is narrated by Roman, a young farmer, in the form of letters to hi ...more
Meredith
This is amazing. How is not getting more attention? Apparently my library linked this graphic novel back in March and I never saw it once until a couple of days ago because it's circulated nine times since then.

Rust has a dieselpunk feel to it, and takes place forty years after a war involving humans and rogue machinery--machinery that now threatens to destroy Roman Taylor's peaceful farm and family.

This is a great read for 5th and 6th graders, especially guys, people looking for tamer dystopian
Adam
Interesting in concept and visual style. But I wanted more story, and more character. Too many of the action scenes were like overly-detailed storyboarding; if at least 1/3 of those dialogue-less panels disappeared, no one would notice. Surprisingly little happens in 200 pages.
Lissibith
This is a beautiful comic with an engaging idea and some fascinating "what if" questions, restrained somewhat by the fact that not much happens.

The world of Rust offers a reality where robots were used to help during World War II. But now, in the aftermath, they've been repurposed for other jobs and uses. Our main character is a farmer who seems unsure of his life, his farm, basically everything. And it turns out he has a most unusual farmhand.

Apparently robots weren't the only thing left over
Tessa
Canadian alternate history scifi on a farm (I'm hoping in Saskatchewan). I thought the art was Jeff Lemire-like before I knew the author/artist was also Canadian. Is there a Canadian STYLE? Is it a coincidence? Does it matter?
Melissa Bennett
I'm just starting to get into graphic novels. Enjoying them the more I read them. I would have totally passed on this one since it's usually not what I look to read in a graphic novel. I happened to be at Denver Comic Con looking at a different graphic novel (hoping that the author was there) when I was approached by the author of this book. At first I wasn't interested but as he described it, I decided to give it a try. Mind you, I have had a good many authors who are passionate about their boo ...more
Ms. Pansulla
I picked this up because the second volume is part of the 2014 YALSA's The Hub Reading Challenge, which I am trying to finish as it winds up at the end of June. Gorgeous, sepia-toned inks gave the whole story a wonderfully nostalgic feel, even though the decidedly sci-fi premise is unspecified, date-wise. Gripping enough that I picked up volume 2 immediately upon finishing. I wanted a little more detail, plot-wise, but the scenes were so well-written, and there was so much to look at, that didn' ...more
Karissa
This is the first book in the Rust graphic novel science fiction series. The second book is, Secrets of the Cell, and is already out. I found this to be a surprisingly engaging book with an interesting story, and very well done sepia toned illustrations.

Roman is having a hard enough time supporting his family farm when a young boy with a rocket pack, Jet Jones, crashes in his field while being chased by a giant robot. Most of Roman’s family thinks Jet is trouble waiting to happen, but Roman thin
Raina
Personally, I came away from this with a bit of a shrug.
But when I told my teen bookclub that most of this book was made up of an epic battle between a giant robot and a boy with a jetpack on his back, the room got seriously excited.

The illustrations are notable for their color - all in browns (ahem, rusts). It's the story of a world where robots were developed for battle in maybe WWI. And now combat robots are an accepted part of life (although most of this volume takes place on a rural farm).
Maria Kramer
This first volume gives us an intriguing glimpse at a new fantasy world. Robots helped win a world war, but where are they now and what are they doing? During the story, two converge on Ronan Taylor's family farm -- both pursuing the mysterious new arrival who never takes off his goggles. What is the boy hiding? The art is a little crude, and there isn't much to the story except a teaser for future volumes, but overall it's a good comic and a quick, fun read.
Alison
The art and color palette of this GN are awesome. The author definitely sets up a great story and leaves me wanting to know more about Jet's Iron Man-ish machine chest implant thinger and why all of the machines are still programmed to kill. The whole dusty, mechanical feel of this graphic novel series is different but extremely intriguing. I can't wait to read more.
Whit Mattson
This one was interesting. It's a step above your standard "we made a steampunk comic" indie book. There were pains taken in weaving the idea into the universe seamlessly. The art is very evocative of the title in russet browns and sepia tones, aided by the high production value of the paper and cover. The plot itself is a bit slow, and a touch random. This could to develop into a very interesting series.
Kest Schwartzman
the drawings are charming, the colouring grand, the story pretty good, and yet... euh.

Also- general confusion- it is specified that the war is "48 years earlier", the main character type appears to be no more than 30, and the main character was no less then 10 when his dad went to war? Can someone help me with the math?
Dolores
The "Iron Giant" meets Steampunk meets post apocalyptic dust bowl in this completely addictive graphic novel. The sepia toned art works beautifully with the cryptic story that will keep curious readers turning the pages.
Jay
Imagine a time when oil-powered robots from war still roam the country after battle. The story of Rust volume 1 tells a tale about a boy named, Jet Jones, who has the ability to fly with a jetpack strapped to his back. In volume one, Jet starts off at the farm of a guy named Roman. He is being attacked by a giant war robot and story continues on from there and the reader gets to know more about Jet, Roman and his family that he is taking care of during Jet's stay.

I really liked this story and th
Melissa Graff
This is beautiful. I love every part of it- the story, characters, even the attention to detail in the packaging is incredible.

One word review: beautiful.
Angela Critics
Roman Taylor is struggling to keep his family farm going. Then, one day, his peaceful world is shattered by the arrival of Jet Jones, a boy with jet pack who is pursued by a giant war robot. Roman has been trying to reconstruct a smaller robot to help with work around the farm. Jet Jones doesn’t seem to think it’s such a good idea. There’s a lot of mystery surrounding these robots. They were created to help fight in a devastating world war. But whose side are they really on. What are they really ...more
Kobeest
there are lots of graphic novels out there now, with new ones coming all the time, but unfortunately many of them fall short, usually in the story. this one has story to write home about. and much like my own farm relatives, characters in this book use few words to tell it. lepp's art and the personalities he develops carries a lot of weight in a deeply enriching manner. roman and jet, vol. 1's main characters, set the tone for interaction between human and robot. this first vol. also sets up a ...more
Sara
Highly Recommended. Upper elementary / middle grades. Beautiful, absolutely stunning.

Series: Rust

Readalikes:
Emily
I liked the sepia tones, fascinating, thrilling, good times, can't wait to read the next one

Roman lives on a farm and he's just trying to keep things running and provide for his family but there's a lot of weight on his shoulders. His little brother is getting ready to go off to school, his mother needs more help around the house and his father, well we don't know where his father is (though im suspecting dead...) But just last week something happened on the farm, a boy with a jet pack crashed t
Larry C
Great action-packed graphic novel. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.
Heydi Smith
I started this series with book two. Now that I've read book one I have to say I really appreciate the storyline and its development. I can't wait for book three!
Ming
It was an interesting story...
Kimberly
Beautifully bound and drawn, Rust is a graphic novel that lets the art tell the story with very little reliance on words.

Sepia-toned artwork and a prairie farm setting set the mood, while the details of a past war featuring robots and jetpacks create intrigue. The combination of rural and robots works surprisingly well, giving Rust a steampunk (or more precisely, dieselpunk) feel.

Recommended for graphic novel fans or steampunk fans, and yet completely accessible to readers unfamiliar with either
Joseph
Rust should feel like a cart hitched to the steam-punk bandwagon. Instead, Lepp's vision is used, not just to dazzle us in and of itself, but also as a means of introducing us to some intriguing characters.

I'm not sure there's as much going on in this book as Lepp thinks there is, but the art is beautiful, the world well-conceived, and even the supporting characters have personalities. The plot promises more waiting around the corner, but it could stand to move a bit more quickly.
Fiona
Good, but really short. It doesn't feel like much happened, just a little development and scene-setting for the next book. Wonderfully illustrated. I love that the panels convey so much without the use of heavy dialogue.
☺Trish
I really enjoyed Royden Lepp's RUST: Visitor in the Field! I'm always enthralled by stories told in letters or diary entries - I simply adore them. The sepia tone and stark, yet beautifully drawn, graphics of this novel give it a 1940's Midwest feel (except for the unfriendly Iron Giant-type robot, of course). I'm looking forward to reading the entire series of the RUST graphic novels.
  • Cow Boy A Boy and His Horse
  • The Golden Twine
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy
  • The Silver Six
  • Ichiro
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
  • August Moon
  • Goliath
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
Secrets of the Cell (Rust, #2) RUST Volume 3: Death of the Rocket Boy Barnabas Goes Swimming David: The Shepherd's Song, Vol. 1 Barnabas Helps a Friend