Start by marking “Das einzige Kind (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #3)” as Want to Read:
Das einzige Kind (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #3)

Das einzige Kind (Hanne Wilhelmsen #3)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  420 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Olav ist der Neue im Haus Frühlingssonne. In der einst prachtvollen Villa leben heute sieben verhaltensauffällige Kinder mit ihren Betreuern. Zwischenzeitlich haben sie sich mit ihrem Leben im Heim mehr oder weniger arrangiert. Nur Olav hat gar keine Lust sich den Regeln in der Frühlingssone anzupassen. Am liebsten würde er sofort wieder zurück zu seiner Mutter, dort kann ...more
Published 2002 by Piper (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Das einzige Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das einzige Kind

Harry
Book Review

"I'm the new boy!"
With resolute strides he stomped in the middle of the floor, where he remained standing while the snow from his enormous tennis shoes formed little puddles around his feet. His legs wide apart, as though to conceal the knock-kneed cross formed by his legs, he threw out his arms and repeated:
"I'm the new boy!"

Perhaps Holt's most intricately plotted novel so far, Death of the Demon takes us into Norway's foster care system and provides interested readers a glimpse
Luanne Ollivier
3.5/5 3.5/5 I've gone backwards with Norwegian author Anne Holt. I read the last book featuring Detective Hanne Wilhelmsen first. And then going against my usual inclination, I did decide to read her back list, as I quite enjoyed the character.

Death of the Demon is the third in the series and newly released by Scribner.

Agnes Vestavik runs a group foster home just outside of Oslo. A new boy named Olav has just moved in. He's a difficult case, hard to like and hard to get along with. He's large a
Ellen Keim
It's funny: I hated the only other Anne Holt book I'd read (1222), but I loved this one. The main character, Hanne Wilhelmsen, had potential as a character in 1222, but she was far too passive (maybe because she spent the whole book in a wheelchair!). But here she is much more fully fleshed out, plus, unlike in 1222, she is working with a team of detectives (she's now a Chief Inspector) and there's some real investigative work going on.

I've read books with lesbian main characters in them before,
Leah
Knifed in the back...

When respectable, middle-aged Agnes Vestavik is found at her desk with a kitchen knife in her back, it seems at first as if no-one could have wanted her dead. But as Hanne Wilhelmsen and her team investigate, they suddenly find themselves with a surfeit of suspects amongst the staff and in Agnes’ personal life, all with strong motives. And then there’s Olav – a 12-year-old newcomer to the foster home that Agnes ran: a boy with serious behavioural problems and a mother who ca
Anna
My favorite Anne Holt (I've read her books, both of this series and individuals, in the purely random order they have happened to run to me) - so far. And I've got curious to try some more books of the series.
While still not as noir as I like my crime, there is a delicious mix of characters, and a place that feels like Oslo (and it leaves you wondering if Hanne Wilhelmson and Harry Hole really live in the same city). I love the mix of not black-and-white characters but people who seem good and h
Naomi
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/142rpnG

My opinion: Absolutely my favorite out of the series to date. I have said in previous reviews of this author's works that it had a feeling that her writing was on the cusp of ROCKIN, but quite couldn't get over that threshold. With Death of the Demon, she has accomplished this.

I must admit that I was on the edge of my seat with this book trying to figure out what was going on and found myself pausing in reflection at the end of this novel. I love when a
Ed
#3 in the Hanne Wilhelmsen series. The final book of the series #8 1222 (2007) was the first translated into English, in 2010. The current entry was written in 1995 but was not translated until 2013.
While I find the series absorbing, I thought the translations are much improved since Blind Goddess (1993) which seems to have been written for a British audience. Since I read the books in the order in which they are written, I shudder to think about the much acclaimed 1222 (2007) which was translat
Maragad
Ačkoliv Smrt démona není moc obsáhlá, je psaná svižným tempem a na kvalitě jí to rozhodně neubírá. Jediné, co vás může od plynulého čtení trochu rozptýlit, je občasný problém s rozlišením některých pohledů. Kdy až po jednom odstavci zjistíte, že už čtete zase o někom jiném. Ovšem to by vás rozhodně nemělo odradit od přečtení tak skvělé knihy, jakou Smrt démona bezesporu je.Jak to u severských detektivek bývá, i zde máme podstrčené sociální téma. Tentokrát jde o závažnou otázku zasahování státu d ...more
Andy Blundell
Another remarkably original crime novel from Anne Holt. When the director of a home for difficult children is murdered and at the same time a disturbed twelve year old boy goes missing, newly promoted Hanne Wilhelmson heads the investigation, assisted by the somewhat eccentric Billy T. At first no one seems to have a motive, then everyone has. In the meantime the search for the missing boy continues. Could he have run away because he saw something?

All of the books that I have read by this author
Delia O' Riordan
Anne Holt has just won a spot on my suspense novel bookshelf. Her understated style takes a little getting used to but Death of the Demon is definitely worth reading.

An awkward, moody, and downright strange twelve year old Norwegian boy is taken to a group foster home after attacking his mother. Olav has a big problem with anger and impulse control, an eccentric appearance, and an aggressive manner that can turn on a dime revealing the pathos of a lost boy trapped in a life he seems able to gra
Stacia
This, the third book in the Hanne Wilhelmsen series, tells the interlocking stories of the inhabitants of a foster home in Norway. A central figure is Olav, the young and out-of-control boy whose disappearance fuels speculation that he has committed the horrible murder of the foster home’s director. But as Hanne and her detectives investigate further, they discover a web of lies: secret lovers, embezzlement, larceny. With so many suspects, it’s difficult to determine who is guilty of what.

Hanne
Jeanette
Better than a three, this one, but not a 4 for me. 3.5 star

Hanne is investigating the death of a foster group home's manager who has been stabbed in the back. The associates we met in the first novels, her personal relationships, and her guarded personality are further revealed from the levels of the first couple of novels in this series. She is 36 in this one and on the crux of some long coming pivotal decisions. Those, being Hanne, she self-obscures.

This series was translated back to front so
Heidi
After having been a fan of Scandinavian fiction for some time, I was very surprised that I have never before come across a novel by Anne Holt, who is being described as the “godmother of modern Norwegian crime fiction” by none other than Jo Nesbo, one of my favourite Scandinavian crime writers. Perhaps it has been the English sounding name which had thrown me – but now that I have discovered Holt’s work, it won’t be the last time I will pick up one of her novels.

The book opens with Olav, a troub
Marleen
Olav is a twelve year old boy with issues. He is very overweight - a fact emphasised by the fact that he’s built like a pear - and has had problems interacting with other people almost from the moment he was born. Because his mother was both unequal to the challenge he presented and unsuccessful in finding the assistance they so badly needed, Olav is being placed in an orphanage, under the care of child-services. From the moment Olav arrives, Agnes Vestavik, the orphanage’s director knows he is ...more
Diane S.
I enjoy the character of Hanne, who has recently been promoted, but is still not in the mindset of managing instead of getting involved in the crimes. This plot revolves around a home for unmanageable children, the home of last resort when all else has failed. One of the children is a very large 12 yrs, old whose mother loves him but is afraid of him. The children provide an interesting and welcome counterpoint in this novel.

For me this was not as gritty as the usual Nordic noir, I am not really
Cliff
The blurb on my copy days 'step aside, Stieg Larsson...' Odd when this was written in 1995, but not translated into English until 2013. The Larrson phenomenon has certainly helped Scandinavian crime fiction. I feel sorry in some ways for Anne Holt as 1222 received rave reviews but was sadly quickly overtaken by actual events, totally ruining the denoument. As in that book, the final solution is just hinted at. Greatly enjoyed.
Sally
This is the second book I've read by Anne Holt with Hanne Wilhelmsen in it. Taking place at an Oslo foster home with various characters having their own set of problems, this was an interesting book to read. When Agnes was murdered, there is a limited amount of suspects and as the book goes along, several suspects are eliminated. Even with that, there is a twist and a surprise ending. A well written book and I look forward to reading more of her books.
Helen
Sherry Mackay
This book was ok. Not a page turner at all. The detectives are all a bit nebulous, and there was no particular character to like or admire. The 12 year old boy with the psychological problems is the most interesting. I felt no attachment to any character and didn't really care who how or why dunnit. An ok read for a wet afternoon but don't rush out to get it.
Filippo Bossolino
Giunta al terzo "episodio" con protagonista Hanne Wilhelmsen, Anne Holt abbandona l'azione e i colpi di scena dei lavori precedenti, per addentrarsi maggiormente nei rapporti umani, che coinvolgono la protagonista e la sua compagna, la protagonista e i colleghi di lavoro, la direttrice di una casa famiglia con i ragazzini ospiti, con i colleghi, con la sua famiglia, e non da ultimo il rapporto tra il dodicenne Olav e la madre.

In alcuni tratti della lettura consideravo più importante che si appia
Grazia Omicini
Un ragazzo grasso e violento, di dodici anni, viene portato in una casa-famiglia perché la madre, sola, non riesce a tenerlo a freno. I servizi sociali intervengono quando e' toppo tardi, i padri sono assenti, tutto non funziona come in Italia. La responsabile della casa famiglia viene uccisa e cominciano le indagini, che svelano le piccole o grandi menzogne che ognuno nasconde. Alla fine il vero colpevole sarà noto solo ai lettori e a pochi personaggi, mentre gli altri resteranno all'oscuro. Un ...more
Gail
This mystery is set in a childrens' group foster home near Oslo. The director has been killed and the focus seems to be on a troubled child who has disappeared. Those Norwegians are a caring and kind bunch of folks, so this is hardly a gritty crime novel, but is an enjoyable read.
Mary
Another good story about a foster home for children and the tangled web surrounding the director's murder -- is it one of the attendants or one of the children -- keeps you guessing until the end.
Shelley
Very good plot, like most of her work--but I simply can't warm up to the main character Hanne Wilhelmsen, the closeted Norwegian police detective.
Sheila
When the director of a foster home is found stabbed to death Hanne has more suspects than she knows how to deal with. Good Norwegian series
Frank778
This is my first in this series. Started out a little slow but the web of characters slowly becomes clear and I became engaged. The "bad seed" boy's mother was lovely, intelligent and sympathetic. But mostly enjoyed the very adult dialogue between the lead detective and her romantic partner.
Carol
Death of a Demon was a surprising mystery and an interesting commentary on guilt and justice. This is the second in the series I've listened to, but could work fine as a stand-alone.

The suspect pool is small. It had to be someone who was supposed to be at the foster home, someone who knew his/her way around. As in most good mysteries, there are secrets and tensions, but I have to admit I really liked the ending. It caught me off guard.

See my whole review at Carol's Notebook.
Brenda Freeman
Love this series. I wish the books between this and 1222 were available in the US.
Really interesting start then completely petered out.
Yasminrit
Would make a good book club read.
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me: A Thriller
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Blodtåke (Henning Juul #3)
  • The Disappeared (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #3)
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
  • Bad Blood (Intercrime, #2)
  • Vårlik
  • I Can See in the Dark
  • Den som dödar draken
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • Menneskefluene (K2 #1)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • Kalde hjerter
Anne Holt was born in Larvik, grew up in Lillestrøm and Tromsø, and moved to Oslo in 1978. She graduated with a law degree from the University of Bergen in 1986, and went on to work for The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) and then the Oslo Police Department, earning her right to practice as a lawyer in Norway. In 1990 she returned to NRK, where she worked one year as a journalist and anch ...more
More about Anne Holt...

Hanne Wilhelmsen (8 books)
  • Blind Goddess (Hanne Wilhelmsen #1)
  • Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (Hanne Wilhelmsen #2)
  • I lejonets gap (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #4)
  • Död joker  (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #5)
  • Utan eko (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #6)
  • Bortom sanningen (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #7)
  • 1222 (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #8)
1222 (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #8) What is Mine Blind Goddess (Hanne Wilhelmsen #1) What Never Happens Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (Hanne Wilhelmsen #2)