Start by marking “The Salt Garden” as Want to Read:
The Salt Garden

The Salt Garden

Three women's lives converge around the century-old mystery of a shipwreck. There's Sophia, a reclusive author who retreated from the world after a tragic loss, Claire, a young journalist who's reluctantly returned to her home town, and Josephine, a passenger from the ill-fated ship.

Published February 11th 2007 by Thomas Nelson (first published March 1st 1986)

Keiki Hendrix
Apr 23, 2009 Keiki Hendrix rated it it was amazing
Would you desire to peer inside the mind and thoughts of a godly woman? Interested in reading a fictional story of how godly women react to the various events of their lives?

The Salt Garden by Cindy Martinusen is adventure into the minds of three women from the small town of Harper’s Bay and the providential events centering around the discovery the journal from a shipwreck survivor.

Presented in 1st person narrative, reading this book is like sitting along with these women and watching their liv
Carole Lehr
Jul 24, 2012 Carole Lehr rated it really liked it
Great book. Cindy Martinusen's style, her descriptions and flow of words, made me want to keep reading and not put it down. The past is centered on the life of Josephine, through her diary telling of the tragic loss of her husband in a shipwreck and his ultimate betrayal. Present day author, Sophia Fleming, lives a reclusive life and becomes fascinated by the century old shipwreck which happened near her coastal cottage. Claire is the young journalist whose return to her hometown brings her clos ...more
Marlene
Dec 29, 2014 Marlene rated it really liked it
Three women's lives converge around the century old mystery of a shipwreck. Sophia, a reclusive author who retreated from the world after a tragic loss. Claire, a young jounalist who reluctantly returned to her home town, and Josephine, a passenger from the ill-fated ship. As they discover the truth about lost love and buried secrets, each woman finds hope, healing and strength to face the future.
Trish
Apr 22, 2015 Trish rated it really liked it
I've found a new favorite author! I so enjoyed this novel - a gentle mystery full of beautiful imagery and quiet wisdom (love a well-written Christian novel where the author does not feel a need to preach at you!)

"I know I have this judgmental side that I'm often fighting against. But today I recognized the depths of my assumptions about people. What I envision is nothing remotely similar to the reality. Humility hurts. Coming home is disturbing."

"I think of how sometimes God puts people togethe
Carolyn
Mar 07, 2013 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, clean-adult
I identified this story as a mystery because answers are being sought about recent and historic events, but it's not a murder mystery like that identification might suggest. This is a sweet story, but not too sugary about a woman relunctantly returning to her hometown. A second story is about a recluse and her slowly evolving decision to move back into the world a little. The two stories become intertwined in a nice and believeable way. Don't expect high drama, but if you want a simple story for ...more
Julie
May 29, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Gently read, spiritually oriented
Overall, this was an okay story. It was a spiritual exploration of three women, representing past, present and future. The characters were interesting, but I found some of the plot way too predictable. Sometimes it was a little preachy, as this is Christian fiction.
Maegan Roper
May 12, 2008 Maegan Roper rated it liked it
If you like multiple story lines progressing at once, you'll enjoy this book! Each character has their own life stage dilemma to overcome, all the while, their paths are crossing without even realizing it. It's definately a book you'll want to read in one day b/c the plot thickens quickly!
Cookielover
I wouldn't recommend it to a friend because my friends like books that grab your attention, make you become an emotional wreck, and then leave you with some kind of emotion. I like books like that too so this book didn't really work for me.
Carmen
A mysterious shipwreck, a reclusive writer and a lighthouse all make for a promising read, but the characters are so dull and flat that by the time the mystery surrounding the shipwreck is solved, the reader just won't care anymore.
Lisa
Mar 25, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I've loved all of this author's books. I like this story about the lives of three women who have lived different lives, years apart, and yet the author weaves their stories together. An inspiring book.
Trish Boese
Mar 22, 2012 Trish Boese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, fiction
4* A slow-moving but thoughtful tale of a shipwreck and how it affects 3 women of different generations. At times I wanted to skip ahead because the reader is given clues very slowly throughout the book. In the end it was a well-written story that inspired me.
Anna
Jul 10, 2008 Anna rated it it was ok
A look back in time and forward in time for three women. It was a good story, a little mystery, a little romance. It does have a nice ending, however, it doesn't tie things up as nicely as I would've preferred.
Jessica Martin
Jan 26, 2015 Jessica Martin rated it it was amazing
This was a very dramatic heart-touching book! The characters in this book had very close relationships with each other and It makes us realize that only some people will be in your lives for a short time.. Do not take the people in your life for granted...!! {:
Ann Miller
Aug 01, 2013 Ann Miller rated it it was amazing
Like the other Martinusin Coloma titles, experiencing The Salt Garden feels like standing in front of a Van Gogh in the British Museum or listening to the Phoenix Symphony Orchestra play Vivaldi. Beauty, emotion, joy, completion.
Jana Van Buren
Jul 01, 2013 Jana Van Buren rated it it was amazing
My most favorite book ever! Tells the story of how three women's lives are woven together even though they didn't all live at the same time.
Jennifer Braun
Mar 14, 2013 Jennifer Braun rated it it was amazing
I was sad when this book ended.
Kim
Feb 23, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Great book a little slower for me to read, but overall a nice read.
Maria Greene
May 10, 2014 Maria Greene rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. Character development wonderful. A sensitive and revealing look into womens hearts.
Kian Hattar
Jan 13, 2017 Kian Hattar rated it liked it
The story itself is very interesting and works as a movie too, but for me at some points I lost some interest, maybe it was so predictable or slow. don't know.
Lisa
Oct 08, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the history of the shipwreck. I actually wanted to hear more about it. The story was slow in the beginning, but it eventually picked up.
Pam
Aug 12, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
08/10/08 purchase from books-a-million
Stacy Willoughby
Aug 11, 2011 Stacy Willoughby rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book and hope to find more by this author soon.
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2010
Daryll Dayned
Mar 28, 2011 Daryll Dayned rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's a very touching book and it's pretty cool too
Susan Farrell
Susan Farrell rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Darlis
Darlis rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2009
shirlee
shirlee rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2009
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2014
Dana Moyer
Dana Moyer rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Amber Room
  • Summer Snow (Threads of Change #2)
  • The Eyes of the World
  • Reconstructing Natalie
  • Chateau of Echoes
  • Wrapped in Rain
  • The Truth Teller
  • The Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande #1)
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Amy Inspired
Cindy McCormick Martinusen also writes under the names Cindy Martinusen and Cindy Martinusen-Coloma.
More about Cindy McCormick Martinusen...

“I see the fragmented beauty of grace in their lives despite continued struggles. Beautiful mosaics formed by broken pieces.” 6 likes
“In that hurry to achieve, I've left little time for self-reflection. And I'm not sure I'm ready for it.” 0 likes