Start by marking “The Salt Garden” as Want to Read:
The Salt Garden

The Salt Garden

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Three women's lives converge around the century-old mystery of a shipwreck. There's Sophia, a reclusive author who retreated from the world after a tragic loss, Claire, a young journalist who's reluctantly returned to her home town, and Josephine, a passenger from the ill-fated ship.

Published February 1st 2007 by WestBow Press (first published March 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Salt Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Salt Garden

Keiki Hendrix
Would you desire to peer inside the mind and thoughts of a godly woman? Interested in reading a fictional story of how godly women react to the various events of their lives?

The Salt Garden by Cindy Martinusen is adventure into the minds of three women from the small town of Harper’s Bay and the providential events centering around the discovery the journal from a shipwreck survivor.

Presented in 1st person narrative, reading this book is like sitting along with these women and watching their liv
Marlene
Three women's lives converge around the century old mystery of a shipwreck. Sophia, a reclusive author who retreated from the world after a tragic loss. Claire, a young jounalist who reluctantly returned to her home town, and Josephine, a passenger from the ill-fated ship. As they discover the truth about lost love and buried secrets, each woman finds hope, healing and strength to face the future.
Carole Lehr Johnson
Great book. Cindy Martinusen's style, her descriptions and flow of words made me want to keep reading and not put it down. The past is centered on the life of Josephine, through her diary telling of the tragic loss of her husband in a shipwreck and his ultimate betrayal. Present day author, Sophia Fleming, lives a reclusive life and becomes fascinated by the century old shipwreck which happened near her coastal cottage. Claire is the young journalist whose return to her hometown brings her close ...more
Maria Greene
One of my favorite books. Character development wonderful. A sensitive and revealing look into womens hearts.
Carolyn
I identified this story as a mystery because answers are being sought about recent and historic events, but it's not a murder mystery like that identification might suggest. This is a sweet story, but not too sugary about a woman relunctantly returning to her hometown. A second story is about a recluse and her slowly evolving decision to move back into the world a little. The two stories become intertwined in a nice and believeable way. Don't expect high drama, but if you want a simple story for ...more
Maegan Roper
If you like multiple story lines progressing at once, you'll enjoy this book! Each character has their own life stage dilemma to overcome, all the while, their paths are crossing without even realizing it. It's definately a book you'll want to read in one day b/c the plot thickens quickly!
Julie
May 29, 2013 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gently read, spiritually oriented
Overall, this was an okay story. It was a spiritual exploration of three women, representing past, present and future. The characters were interesting, but I found some of the plot way too predictable. Sometimes it was a little preachy, as this is Christian fiction.
Trish Boese
A slow-moving but thoughtful tale of a shipwreck and how it affects 3 women of different generations. At times I wanted to skip ahead because the reader is given clues very slowly throughout the book. In the end it was a well-written story that inspired me.
Cookielover
I wouldn't recommend it to a friend because my friends like books that grab your attention, make you become an emotional wreck, and then leave you with some kind of emotion. I like books like that too so this book didn't really work for me.
Carmie
A mysterious shipwreck, a reclusive writer and a lighthouse all make for a promising read, but the characters are so dull and flat that by the time the mystery surrounding the shipwreck is solved, the reader just won't care anymore.
Ann Miller
Like the other Martinusin Coloma titles, experiencing The Salt Garden feels like standing in front of a Van Gogh in the British Museum or listening to the Phoenix Symphony Orchestra play Vivaldi. Beauty, emotion, joy, completion.
Anna
A look back in time and forward in time for three women. It was a good story, a little mystery, a little romance. It does have a nice ending, however, it doesn't tie things up as nicely as I would've preferred.
Lisa
I've loved all of this author's books. I like this story about the lives of three women who have lived different lives, years apart, and yet the author weaves their stories together. An inspiring book.
Lisa
I really enjoyed the history of the shipwreck. I actually wanted to hear more about it. The story was slow in the beginning, but it eventually picked up.
Jana Van Buren
My most favorite book ever! Tells the story of how three women's lives are woven together even though they didn't all live at the same time.
Stacy Willoughby
I absolutely LOVED this book and hope to find more by this author soon.
Kim
Great book a little slower for me to read, but overall a nice read.
Daryll Dayned
it's a very touching book and it's pretty cool too
Jennifer Braun
I was sad when this book ended.
Pam
Aug 12, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
08/10/08 purchase from books-a-million
Shyloh
Shyloh marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Jessica Martin
Jessica Martin is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Karen Gemind
Karen Gemind marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Heidi Holder
Heidi Holder marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Hannah Bergquist
Hannah Bergquist marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
  • The Church Ladies
  • The Rubber Band/The Red Box 2-in-1
  • Wisdom Hunter
  • Imposter
  • Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • Bad Ground
  • Chateau of Echoes
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • The Truth Teller
  • Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2)
  • Reconstructing Natalie
  • River Rising
  • The Shape of Mercy
Cindy McCormick Martinusen also writes under the names Cindy Martinusen and Cindy Martinusen-Coloma.
More about Cindy McCormick Martinusen...
Winter Passing (Winter Passing Trilogy #1) Blue Night North of Tomorrow Orchid House Eventide