Start by marking “A Place for Zero” as Want to Read:
A Place for Zero

A Place for Zero (Charlesbridge Math Adventures)

Zero is lonely in Digitaria. He can't play Addemup with the other numbers, because he has nothing to add. What's a digit to do? Join Zero as he goes on a journey to discover his place.
Published July 1st 2003 by Charlesbridge (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Place for Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place for Zero

Shani Cooper
This story helps children understand the role of zeroes in place value. A teacher could use place value bingo to reinforce the concepts introduced in the story. The teacher could incorporate clues with zeroes to test the students' understanding of zeroes in place value. Students create their bingo cards with numbers that they choose. When they recieve a clue that describes onoe of the numbers on their board, they caover that number. For example if a number has a zero in the tens place the number ...more
Nancy
May 02, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could give this a 3.5. Rich illustrations seem to grab my kindergartener and me. Her requests to read it over and over suggest a four rating, but something a bit stilted in the writing makes me want to give it a three. But if you, too, are a math nerd parent and you want to make sure your child finds math fun and intriguing, this series seems to be a nice place to bring math concepts to life. We'll definitely check out more of these.
Amy
Apr 17, 2010 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
I am intrigued by the idea of finding books that help children increase their mathematical motivation and understanding. In this cute story, zero learns where he belongs by being added in a "numberator" and being multiplied in a "multi-tube," then inventing place value so numbers greater than nine become possible. Older children who have math experience may enjoy the story, but it doesn't offer any explanations for children who don't already get the concepts. Because of this, it disappoints.
Netanella
May 03, 2012 Netanella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My daughter starts Kindergarten this year, and we picked up this math adventure at Open House tonight. What a great book! Zero wants to find his place in Numberaria, a magical kingdom of numbers. He feels distraught until he learns his value through the power of multiplication. Great book, and the illustrations were great.
Angela Diamond
Title: A Place for Zero by Angeline Sparanga LoPresti, illustrated by Phyllis Hornung; Published by Charlesbridge, 2003

Summary/Review: A place for zero is a fiction story based on the number zero who is unsure of his identity. The story goes through a series of events where zero discovers how he can be used with addition and multiplication, and ultimately becoming a place holder to create bigger numbers. The author uses humor throughout the story to describe the emotions zero feels when he think
Megan Alexander
Jun 10, 2014 Megan Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: A Place for Zero
Author: Angeline Lopresti
Illustrator: Phyllis Hornung
Date of Publication: 2003
Genre: Fiction
Summary:
This book is about the number Zero who lives in Digitaria with the other numbers. Their favorite game is Addemup. Zero is unsure of his identity because he can’t play the game with the other numbers, because he has “nothing to add.” He takes a journey to find his place in among the numbers. He meets people along the way who help him learn how valuable he really is.
Evaluation
Mumtaz Hussain
A Place for Zero by Angeline Sparagna LoPresti

This is a fun book for younger children to see that maths does not have to be boring.

The story is about Zero who felt he had no place and wants to find out what he stands for. He goes on a mission to find out what his purpose is after finding out that he does not add anything to the other numbers –or so he thinks! He visits various characters related to numbers throughout the story to find that he helps when it comes to the tens units.

There are other
Shane Harcombe
I like the idea of books that help explain maths concepts, and this one is definitely aimed younger than the 10-11 yos I teach, but I was disappointed in this book. The early parts were fine, the puns are cute and the concept of zero feeling useless and finding out about his purpose are all good. My problem was with the way place value and zero's role in it was described. It didn't make enough logical sense for this to be a useful book, for me.
Dolly
Jun 21, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, math, 2012
This is an entertaining story and an interesting way to introduce the importance of the number zero. The narrative is a bit long, so I would recommend it for parents reading with elementary school-age children who can understand the concept of multiplication. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and complement the story nicely. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Heather
Not as great as the Sir Cumference series books...but a story about how zero wants to find his place...how zero works with addition, multiplication and as a place holder. It is effective in showing how zero affects numbers in different ways. My 4.5 yo liked it.
Margaret Chind
Apr 08, 2012 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-stories
This was a cute book. Very appropriate for my second grader to read as well as for the preschooler to have read aloud. I will be looking at more of the Math books from Charlesbridge. We bought thus one as a school reference.
Lindsey Rogers
Apr 11, 2013 Lindsey Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601, math
In the magical kingdom of numbers, Zero just wants to find his place (value). This clever book is showing kids zeros place values and how it affects addition and multiplication. This book could be used from Kindergarten up to second grade.
Cya
Aug 25, 2011 Cya added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This book explains 0's use in addition and multiplication. Good for counting and multiplication lessons.
Karan Johnstone
Cute book about the number 0's purpose.
Amy Weiss
Jan 25, 2015 Amy Weiss rated it it was ok
For some reason my 5 year old LOVES this book, and it is cute, but he is too young to really understand the math references. Not sure exactly who this is written for.
Mar 28, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Another great math book that also teaches self-esteem!
Sally
Apr 22, 2008 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What does zero do? It holds places. Not the most engaging story, but gets the point across.
Bonnie Jean
This was cute, though not amazing. My numbers-obsessed 4-year-old picked it up at the library- obviously he's a bit young for the place value lesson, but he seemed to enjoy the story.
Debra
K - 3

Place Value, Addition, Multiplication, Infinity and Self Esteem
Rachel
Illustrates the concepts well, but he story is contrived and silly
Mrs. Carey
A great math book for elementary students.
Katie Stout
Katie Stout rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2013
LBJ Library
LBJ Library rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2017
Tracey
Tracey rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2016
OS
OS rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2017
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2017
Kay Piner
Kay Piner rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Keri Howell
Keri Howell rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Mummy Math: An Adventure in Geometry
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Math-terpieces: The Art of Problem-Solving
  • Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money
  • Fraction Action
  • One Hundred Hungry Ants
  • Hershey's Fractions
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?

Charlesbridge Math Adventures (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table
  • Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi
  • Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland
  • Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone
  • Sir Cumference and the Isle of Immeter
  • Alice in Pastaland: A Math Adventure
  • Beanstalk: The Measure Of A Giant (A Math Adventure)
  • Cut Down to Size at High Noon
  • Equal Shmequal (Math Adventures)
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin