Start by marking “Voodoo Dues (Lian and Figg #1)” as Want to Read:
Voodoo Dues (Lian and Figg #1)

Voodoo Dues (Lian and Figg #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  41 reviews
From the beginning of Figg’s employment, there is something not quite right about the bar. There are few customers, a parade of neighborhood psychics and pentacle adorned visitors, all coming to hold court with her enigmatic boss. Figg is not sure what is going on, but she is determined to find out!

When the local voodoo queen shows up, and the next morning her grandson end
Published July 23rd 2011 (first published July 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo Dues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo Dues

Rebecca
When I pushed the button on my reader for the next page of Voodoo Dues and I realized it was over I literally screamed NO out loud. I was so not ready for the end of this story. I need more Stephany Simmons, and I need it now.

I loved Stephany Simmons’s ability create such amazing and realistic characters (minus the paranormal abilities). Figg (one of the main characters) is a no nonsense, bar tending, gun carrying kind of girl. Yeah, I wanted to be Figg in this book. I loved that Figg could keep
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell

Eleanor Figg was a quasi bartender/gate keeper for Lian and his empty bar. He got the occasional customer but gave the impression that he would just as soon not get any. Lian gave the impression of being just released from an Ivory tower of a very expensive Ivy League university. From his three piece suits, to his somewhat preoccupied demeanor, Lian was in essence what he appeared to be, a devotee to academia. It’s what he studied that make him such a stand out. Lian chronicled myths and legends
Sharon
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Voodoo Dues was kindly provided to me by the author Stephany Simmons in exchange for my honest opinion and is the first book in the Lian and Figg series.

Voodoo Dues was a quick and enjoyable read about a mysterious bar owing Anthropologist Dr. Lian Cairn and his quirky waitress Eleanor Figg. Not a lot happens at the bar besides a few unusual characters popping in which has Figg wondering about her boss and his secretive ways.

Our main protagonist, Figg was an absolute
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Just under 3, rounding up.

Figg is a bartender at a beautiful pub situated in the worst part of town for a bar. The problem isn't the crime - the problem is there are no customers, and that seems to be the way her boss, Lian, prefers it. Strange people come to see him, then a dead body is found, and all of a sudden Figg finds out that the world she knows and the "real" world are two different things. There are zombies, necromancers, lots of Voodoo, and werewolves. It is a good thing that Figg lik
Jackie
Aug 19, 2011 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Necromancers, Magic, Voodoo Rituals, Zombie risings and lots of action
{Full review below but if you think this is all about shuffling zombies ripping into human flesh, think again it is a doggone good story about betrayal, learning to enjoy life and some really zany character interaction.}

BOOK SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS

Carla-Book Monster Reviews
Review by Book Monster's Guest Reviewer: Carlyn

I really loved the characters in this novel and I think they took the story to a whole new level. Figg is a great character with her unique fashion sense and her fascinating personality, she really brought this story to life for me. Lian was also as likeable but he couldn't be more different to Figg. He is quiet and mild mannered but as they story goes on we find out he is much more than a quiet bar owner.

The story is full of action which kept me j
Vanessa
What makes Voodoo Dues memorable to me is the way Stephany narrated her story. Even though the first person viewpoint is switched every other chapter, it’s in fact very interesting to see the world through the eyes of both characters instead of just relying on only one person. Her narration was simple and kept minimal without unnecessary overwhelming details. As a result, her story was readable and surprisingly light despite the weird scenes. There were also some humor inserted in some lines, es ...more
Regina Martinez
Aug 26, 2011 Regina Martinez rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Regina by: Cristina
What a surprise! I was hooked from the moment I read the first line and did not want the story to end. The style of switching between the main characters, Figg and Lian’s, points of view was refreshing. Zombies, voodoo, werewolves, necromancy and a splash of designer shoes makes the perfect crime fighting mystery with romance and just the right amount of humor. The hero’s are clearly opposites who attract, Figg a gun toting, fearless shoe loving woman with feminine curves and Lian a strong priva ...more
Tiki
I love finding new authors with a great writing style, imaginative story lines, and characters I really like! Voodoo Dues is a fun, fast paced read, with a lot action, humor, and a little romance. This is a great little urban fantasy. I wish it were longer!! There's a companion piece on line - I vote to definitely leave in the bits of steamy romance!!
I can't wait for the next installment, Vampire Blues and look forward to seeing the relationship develop between Figg and Lian as they battle the s
April
This was a great little read. I found myself really wanting more. Such a colorful book with quirky characters. I adored Lian and Figg, they are quite the pair. Add in supporting characters who are fabulous fun, like Carl!!

The narrative is mixed switching between the two leads POV. It really opens the reader up to what they are thinking and feeling. This insight is great for understanding them and the complex relationship.

The bedroom door is cracked, there is a bit of smexy but if doesn't go all
Debbie
This book was great.. can't wait to the next one.
Dangerous Romance Book Reviews
VooDoo Blues is a fast paced, hilarious, snarky, wild ride of a Novella that shows great promise of things to come. There is almost a Stephany Plum like quality to the madcap zombie shenanigans.

Figg is an attractive young lady in her twenties, who takes a job working at bar to make ends meet. It doesn’t take long for her to realize that Lian, her extremely hot, (in a geeky intellectual way), boss isn’t the slightest bit upset there is no business in the bar. In fact that is just the way he like
Emily
Voodoo Dues was a fun book. It was a good palate cleanser for in between other projects and had a cool vibe with very fun dialogue. As a debut offering, this book had a lot of strong points and several areas where improvement will only make the story more enjoyable.

This story seriously cannot wait to get started- we bust right into the action right from the beginning, with minimal introduction to the main characters, Lian (an anthropologist turned bar owner) and Figg (his bartender/love interest
Kristen
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
THEME: Voodoo, Witches, and Zombies
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Author
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
VooDoo Dues was such a thrill, I loved the characters, setting and the plot was so entertaining and fun I couldn’t get enough. With a spunky shoe loving protagonist along her timid and very knowledgeable boss the duo is a bundle of greatness.

VooDoo Dues follows Figg she works at a bar that gets either no customers or very strange ones dealing with both vo
Michelle Cummings
This was a fun, quick read. The story alternates viewpoints between Lian (an male anthropologist bar-owner) and Figg (his female employee).

It turns out that there is not much activity at the bar, except for a parade of psychics who show up periodically. It turns out that Lian is an expert on the paranormal, and recovering from an attack. After a voodoo queen pays him a visit, Lian and Figg are drawn into tracking down her grandsons killer.

What I especially liked about this story is that Figg has
Naj (Unputdownable Books)
One thing I love in my eBooks is it being short, entertaining, funny and excessively easy to read. If an eBook has all those qualities its an eBook I actually enjoyed and is worth my time. Reading eBooks give me a headache and makes me sleepy to the point where I can't read the book properly and all I'm doing is trying to rush my way to finish the book. Yes, this has happened to me many times.

But Voodoo Dues is not one of those bad rushed books. Its the one I found humorous, enjoyable and easy t
Shaz Goodwin
The story opens with Figg pulling up to the bar and she sees her boss cleaning yet more sigils from the pavement outside. Her boss, Dr Lian Cairn, doesn’t dress or act like a bar owner. There are no customers frequent the bar … apart from the local psychics/spiritual community.

When the local Mamba arrives (Rene), she leaves her grandson, Pierre to watch the bar. Figg grew up with the grandsons, going to school with them. She knows the reputation of Rene Chamtillion. Still there the next day, Fig
Julie Ramsey
Figg is a hot-headed girl with a criminal past and a big heart. Dr. Cairn is an attractive anthropologist who is running away from a past that is closing in on him fast. Rene, the town witch, life is in danger from past wrongdoings. Carl, a cross dressing psychic, is being hunted by his master who wants to possess his abilities. What happens when these characters lives cross? Well; zombies, magic, werewolves, vampires and cults, of course.

The story starts with a sneaky suspicion of a budding se
Carlyn

The stroy is full of action which kept me jumping from one page to the next and it flowed v
Kara-karina
I'll tell you straight away that I liked this book. It was an easy and light read, perfect for a summer afternoon. But because I liked it I wanted this book to live up to its potential.

The characters, the plot, the dialogues very very interesting. But Figg, oh, Figg was hilarious! Snarky, slightly bizarre flighty daughter of a mechanic habitually driving monstrously big car and carrying guns... She intrigued me to no end with her sudden insights into potentially dangerous situations and a great
Cana Elene (http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com)
Figg works at a pub for Lian, a professor turned pub owner. Figg keeps thinking how boring working there is, especially since they never have any customers, but they always have the weird paranormal people showing up. Then someone dies, and Lian and Figg get involved more than they ever thought. And the un-dead aren't going to just stay in the grave.

So first of all, this is my first voodoo and my first zombie book. I've never been a fan of zombies. The idea of the brain-eating un-dead just neve
The TBR Pile *Book review site*

This plot was different. It didn’t necessarily entice me but gave me enough intrigue to pick the book to review. Lian is a bar owner with a shady past and Figg is his bar tender, as we later learn, his mate. Then there's voodoo and zombies thrown into the mix.

The beginning was very quick, too fast to really get a feel for the characters and there was very little detail on what the bar actually looked like. There’s also no details on what the characters lo
Liz at Fictional Candy
This was an entertaining story, although shorter than most. Centrally it is about Figg (Eleanor Figg, to be exact) and Lian, her boss. Figg is funky and has a love for the finer designer shoes. Lian is more the scholarly type, an anthropologist. It’s a wonder why he opened a bar when what he seems to want is solitude. Other than that there isn’t really much detail about either character. I did find it interesting how the point of view would switch each chapter between Lian and Figg. I had expect ...more
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/11/rev...

Stephany Simmons’s Voodoo Dues is a short novella that starts with a bang and speeds along at a fast pace until the very last page. Figg is a laid back, no nonsense bartender who enjoys life, not taking much seriously. Her straight laced boss, Lian, is an enigma to her as he doesn’t seem to encourage customers or business. When a local voodoo queen comes to him for help, Lian turns her away only to find her grandson murdered outside hi
Jessica Buike
I was initially very put off by the author filling the first several pages of her book with reviews - personally, I find that very distasteful. I say if you want to include reviews in your eBook, put them at the end so those of us who just want to dive right into the story don't have to skip through several pages of self-promotion please!!

However, I decided to give the book a chance anyway, and was happily impressed by the interesting main characters. We are introduced to a bar owner who doesn'
Tiffany Riach
I loved this book. Voodoo Dues is a quick read with the details and action of a much longer book.

Eleanor Figg works for Dr. Lian Cairn is his bar as a bartender/assistant. What she doesn't know is that Lian is an anthropologist that has ties to the supernatural world that she had no idea existed. When the local Voodoo Queen shows up asking to speak with Lian, Figg starts to wonder who her boss really is. Figg is about to learn that witches, zombie, and a lot more supernatural creatures really d
J.R. Pearse Nelson
Stephany Simmons' first novella Voodoo Dues is an entertaining and intriguing ride.

Figg, the gun-toting, surprisingly resourceful heroine, was so much fun! She was a very well-written character, and no scene could fall flat with her in place. I can't wait for more Figg!

The hero is more mysterious. He's an intriguing combination of bookish and experienced. I get the feeling we'll be drawn deeper into Lian's world in the second book.

Other characters were also well developed for a novella, and th
Kym Crawford
This book is fantastic, it has the feel of a paranormal cozy mystery. The main characters are very different from each other but they compliment each other well and are both enjoyable and you find yourself rooting for the romance to blossom between them. All the supporting characters are written very well and enjoyable to read.
The only complaint I have about this book is that it is too short.

Audio Thoughts: I like the narration, I wasn’t a fan of all the voices but that’s just a personal opinio
Roxanne
“Woah!” the guy said, taking off his mirrored aviators, unapologetically checking me out.
“What's happening, sweetness?” He slid onto one of the barstools, his eyes glued to the Captain America shield, printed on my T-shirt.
“Not gonna happen.” I said. I wanted to add ‘you patchouli-soaked hippy.’

The reason I'm giving this book only 3 stars is due to the length, it was way to short for my liking. :( However I did really enjoy it, Lian and Figg are fantastic characters and I would have loved to s
*Rachael*
Wow really good for a quick read/listen hope there are more on audiobook soon!
Indie Cover Art: Choices, choices! 7 20 Apr 28, 2013 01:34PM
Creative Reviews: Voodoo Dues by Stephany Simmons 1 5 Sep 28, 2011 11:00AM
Paranormal & ...: Voodoo Dues (FREE BOOK) 2 28 Aug 16, 2011 07:51AM
  • The Vampire Relationship Guide: Meeting & Mating (Vampire Relationship Guide, #1)
  • Keeper of the Lost Souls (The Keeper Witches Series, #1)
  • Dark Shadows: Wolf Moon Rising
  • Cherished (Mystic Wolves #1B)
  • Midnight Redeemer (Midnight, #6)
  • Illicit Magic (Stella Mayweather, #1)
  • In the Light of the Moon (Dark War Chronicles #1)
  • The Howling Heart
  • The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1)
  • Instructing Adam
  • Vengeance Borne (Sentry of Evil, #1)
  • One Bite
  • Touched (The Marnie Baranuik Files #1)
  • A Warrior's Witch (An Otherworld Romance)
  • Cedardale Court
  • Cameo the Assassin (Trilogy of Shadows, #1)
  • The Mist-Torn Witches (The Mist-Torn Witches #1)
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
Vampire Blues (Lian and Figg #2) Shotgun Rites (A Lian and Figg Compilation) Voodoo Dues Companion (Lian and Figg short story)