Start by marking “Sage Creek (Lonesome Way #1)” as Want to Read:
Sage Creek (Lonesome Way #1)

Sage Creek (Lonesome Way #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  493 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
After her marriage falls apart, Sophie McPhee returns to her hometown of Lonesome Way, Montana, planning to steer clear of men and focus on her new bakery, A Bun in the Oven. Who she doesn't expect to see is Rafe Tanner, her first crush who now runs his family's ranch-and who spent most of their childhood ignoring her. But is Rafe a changed man?

While Rafe is stunned to di
Published October 4th 2011 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sage Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sage Creek

Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jul 19, 2015 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
Been wanting to read some romances. I don't much from the genre, but I like some of them now and then. My favorites are the covers of the setting. Its kind of cozy in a way or something. This was a pretty good read. Found myself wanting to keep reading. I also like that the two characters don't meet in the first chapters but later on. And when they do, its fun to read what's going on in their head. I also like that we get chapters for both characters as we go to know them and find them likable, ...more
Christine
Jun 13, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
4 Stars!
Sage Creek is the first of four books in the Lonesome Way series by author Jill Gregory. Sage Creek was my first reading experience with this author. I was not disappointed. Additionally, it doesn't hurt that I am a big fan of the small town romance series. This story centers around Sophie McPhee and Rafe Tanner. Sophie returns home to Lonesome Way to recover from her divorce. All she wants to do is heal her broken heart and find a way to rebuild her life. Rafe is running the family ranc
Susan
Jul 05, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Sophie came back to Lonesome Way to recover from her divorce and the emotional beating it had given her. She had no plans to get involved with a man anytime soon. One of the first things she did was to spend time with her best friend, and discovered that her brother was even better looking than he used to be when she had a crush on him. I enjoyed the memories of when she and his sister used to stalk him and wreck his chances of making out with his girlfriends. There w ...more
Catherine
*3.5 Stars*

If you are looking for a simple, sweet romance, then this book is probably right up your alley. There are a few subplots in it, but on the whole it’s a surprisingly uncomplicated book. It’s just a guy and a girl who have had bad luck in their last relationships and are wary of being hurt again. They do have to work past some things (especially Sophie), but for the most part their fall into love was simple and easy.

I had a hard time connecting with Sophie in the beginning of the book.
Holly
Another small-town romance. Can't we have contemporary romance that isn't set in a small town? I'm starting to get tired of the schtick. Anyway..

This was a cute novel. I liked how Rafe's teenage daughter played into the story. I also liked that Sophie and Rafe both had issues to work through. I did think the mystery portion of the novel fell flat. It seemed silly and didn't make a lot of sense with the rest of the plot. Not sure why it was included.
Charliann Roberts
Jul 20, 2012 Charliann Roberts rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who love Contemporary Romance
Sage Creek was written in my favorite genre of contemporary romance and kept me reading from the first page to the last. Jill Gregory kept her story flowing with description, detail and emotion. I felt as though I was working alongside Sophie in her "Bun in the Oven" Bakery and Cafe. I fell in love with Rafe, right along with Sophie in this wonderful contemporary romance. At times I thought I was cracking up, when I almost picked up my phone to call Sophie, thinking she was actually a good frien ...more
Diana
Mar 03, 2014 Diana rated it it was ok
There are four separate plot lines in this story. One of them is completely unnecessary & while it added "drama", it made no real sense & stuck out like a sore thumb from the rest of the book. I enjoyed the story of 12 year old Ivy the best. Her character was well developed and rang true. The book ends on a sudden note & the last chapter is the authors attempt to introduce us (very suddenly) to characters in book number 2 of the series, and I felt it diminished the book greatly.
Dayna
Oct 24, 2015 Dayna rated it liked it
This is my first contemporary novel by this author, I’ve read a lot of her historicals and enjoyed those. I thought this was a good read, nothing to stand out and make me love it, nothing to stand out and make me dislike it either. A good, middle of the road, decent and enjoyable read that’s a nice way to pass the time.

Following this one I’m not overly excited to read the rest of the series, but may just tick through it to pass the time (if I get some!)
Mum
Oct 14, 2012 Mum rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, beach-read
If you want happily-ever-after, I am beginning to think you have to give up entirely on reality. No snow in Montana until after mid-October??? Yet, no drought to justify it. Cowboys at work in polo shirts??? Horses are just as much dirty work as cows! Is a little research too much to ask??? The story was generally enjoyable, but the suspense element was not sustained or realistic. I will read the next one, as I enjoyed the characters.
Melissa (The Lit Queen)
Jan 27, 2014 Melissa (The Lit Queen) rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
This is a 3.5 read for me.

Sophie McPhee has had it with men and the only thing she wants to do is return home to Lonesome Way, MO to heal her wounds. It's there that she begins to mend and put the pieces of her life back together with the support of friends and family. Enter the dangerous, wild first crush of her youth Rafe Tanner. Only Rafe isn't as dangerous or wild anymore but he's every bit as handsome as she remembers. It isn't long before sparks are flying and Sophie is bonding with Rafe's
Bookaholics
Oct 19, 2011 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
Sage Creek by Jill Gregory
Contemporary Romance – Oct. 4th, 2011
3 1/2 stars

Sophie McPhee moves back to Lonesome Way after selling her bakery and divorcing her husband. Determined to start anew in her hometown, she didn’t count on meeting the sexy Rafe Tanner, who was her best friend’s older brother and her very first crush. Rafe is now a single father raising his daughter Ivy and managing his ranch. Can these two move past the pain in their past and re-discover love with each other again?

This is
Dorine
May 04, 2012 Dorine rated it really liked it
Sage Creek by Jill Gregory
Jill Gregory's books were recommended to me by some reader friends, and since SAGE CREEK is the first book in her LONESOME WAY series, I couldn't resist starting there.

Read this review on my blog -->> TBR Mountain Range

Sophie McPhee goes home to Lonesome Way, Montana to help heal the hurt and anger of her recent divorce in the familiar surroundings of her hometown. Friends and family encourage her to move on by dating again, but Sophie isn't ready. She'd rather invest her time and energy
Ellie
Nov 07, 2011 Ellie rated it it was ok
Sage Creek, Lonesome Way Book #1, by Jill Gregory
Grade: C

“You decide when--if--you want to do this--any of this--again. But I can’t promise I’m going to try like hell to convince you.”

Sophie McPhee was devastated when she discovered that her husband not only had a mistress but the mistress was pregnant with his child, the child Sophie so desperately wanted. Sophie has decided to close her very successful bakery and catering company and move from San Francisco to her hometown of Lonesome Way, Mon
Courtney
Jun 19, 2013 Courtney rated it it was amazing
4.75

After her marriage falls apart, Sophie Mcphee returns home to the good luck ranch. starts a bakery. unexpectedly falls for Rafe Tanner and his young daughter Ivy.

I Loveeeeeee this book. I really do. It was a light simple quick read. had some romances. introduced us to a sweey small town. Even had a little mischief.

I smiled many times through this book. I felt giddy. The only problem is the book kinda I dunno hurried.
We were introduced to everyone. Then Sophie and Rafe started dating. Then
Teresa
Jul 25, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! The characters were real and I could relate to them. I wish they had gone a bit deeper with Ivy and how things worked out with her mom. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Hope Frost
May 30, 2012 Hope Frost rated it really liked it
This was my first Jill Gregory book, and I loved it. The story had wonderful flow, and was a joy to read. The characters were witty and you felt like you knew them because they could be someone in your own town. She describes the life of a teen as "powder-keg moods"which is a perfect description and made me actually giggle. My heart ached for Ivy, when she was talking to her mother and remembering her and what she had done to her, then wanting to meet up with her, just to know she meant somethin ...more
Mary Jo
Aug 18, 2014 Mary Jo rated it really liked it
I read this while at the beach. Perfect for relaxing on vacation. Gentle, feel good book. Made me smile.
Anita
Nov 19, 2011 Anita rated it liked it
Sophie is back in her hometown to get over the heartache of the end of her marriage. Rafe is a cowboy who is trying to do his best for his young daughter. Sophie crushed on Rafe when she was younger - he is her best friends brother afterall and Rafe was the love em and leave em type. As adults - they know they could have something special. Throw in someone looking for revenge. Medeling grandmas with a list. A secretive young girl. A mom dating her high school teacher from hell. And you got anoth ...more
Macwolf01 [Elise]
This is a quick easy small town read.

I give it 3.5 stars.
Heather
Good read,had some drama to make it interesting.
Katie Hernandez
Jan 14, 2015 Katie Hernandez rated it really liked it
It was good for a short book.
Becky
Mar 06, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
I found this to be a very sweet, easy reading, lovely and beautiful love story. Not alot of drama in it other than between the two main characters finding their way to each other. Very touching and romantic. I very much loved the relationship between Raef and Ivy. What a beautiful story about father and daughter. The story line for Ivy and her upcoming visitor was very well done. Wouldn't it be lovely if all families loved and cared for each other like this? I will definetly read more of her boo ...more
Dorothy Morawsky
Jan 21, 2014 Dorothy Morawsky rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Can't wait to find book 2. A good everyday story.
Arksongbird
Apr 21, 2016 Arksongbird rated it liked it
It was an easy read with no real ups or downs. It's light and has little depth. It lost a star because it was so breezy. I never really connected to the super hot, model like Sophie with loads of money. It lost the next star because it tried to build up to the "mom" coming back and the reader never got to experience Rafe and his ex-wife reuniting.
Over all it was fine.
Barb
Feb 02, 2012 Barb rated it really liked it
I haven't read Jill Gregory in awhile. Sage Creek was a nice story about coming home again and divorce recovery. The ranch setting is a favorite I have not visited in awhile. The heroes are always more handsome and rugged. The conflict was minor but enough to keep the story interesting. A fast read after a couple stories I needed to think more about to follow.
Zoe
Dec 01, 2011 Zoe rated it liked it
A promising author to watch, Ms. Gregory juggles the small town, multiple story lines contemporary well. She's obviously read some Robyn Carr, but isn't quite as good. The storyline was well done, and the side characters likeable, but the romance moved a little too quickly for me. Still, definite potential for the series.

Ann  Lorz
Oct 31, 2011 Ann Lorz rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I really enjoyed this book. It's the first in a series and I can't wait for the next one. I've never read Gregory and am happy I gave her a chance. I liked how Sophie not only had to deal with what was happening in her life at the moment but things from her past. I always loved how Rafe treated his daughter.
Marie
Apr 22, 2013 Marie rated it really liked it
Good read. Typical romance with a few sub plots. This is a nice book if you're looking for a mindless escape. The only thing I didn't like was there was some repeating of things that didn't need to be gone over again otherwise, it was a delightful, feel good story.
Ruth Ellen
Apr 21, 2013 Ruth Ellen rated it it was amazing
It took me a long time to get interested in reading this book. Not because of the book but because I was too busy to sit and enjoy it. It is a very good story and I enjoyed it very much. But then I love cowboys...no matter what state they live in. lol
  • The Comforts of Home (Harmony, #3)
  • Kissing Comfort
  • Sanctuary Island (Sanctuary Island, #1)
  • Can't Hurry Love (Three Kisses, #3)
  • A Town Called Valentine (Valentine Valley #1)
  • On Lavender Lane (Shelter Bay, #3)
  • Sweet Laurel Falls (Hope's Crossing, #3)
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
  • Summer at Mustang Ridge (Mustang Ridge, #1)
  • Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4)
  • Second Chance at the Sugar Shack (Sugar Shack, #1)
  • An Unexpected Gentleman
  • When Tempting a Rogue (Victorian Soap Opera, #3)
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Jill Gregory is the award-winning author of more than thirty novels. Jill has been awarded the Romantic Times Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence and her novels NEVER LOVE A COWBOY and COLD NIGHT, WARM STRANGER were honored with back-to-back Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice awards for Best Western Historical Romance.

Jill Gregory's novels have
More about Jill Gregory...

Lonesome Way (4 books)
  • Larkspur Road (Lonesome Way #2)
  • Blackbird Lake (Lonesome Way #3)
  • Sunflower Lane (Lonesome Way, #4)