Amor Prohibido

Amor Prohibido

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Jacob Freehan has no job, no man, and no motivation. In pain both from ending a long-term abusive relationship and a severe back injury, he escapes to the sunny seaside town of Puerto Morelos, Mexico for a little yoga, a little R&R, and possibly a place to quietly end his own life.

Pakal is a centuries-old immortal Mayan spirit guide who has been charged with getting Ja...more
Published September 4th 2011 (first published September 3rd 2011)

Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneAdrien English Mysteries by Josh LanyonThe Dark Tide by Josh Lanyon
It's Raining Men
124th out of 134 books — 38 voters
Something Like Summer by Jay BellThe Invisible Chains - Part 1 by Andrew AshlingHot Head by Damon SuedeThe Rebuilding Year by Kaje HarperOut of the Blue by Josh Lanyon
M/M Romance With (Mostly) Yellow or Orange Covers
79th out of 229 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
67% price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US, 11/8/13 :)
T.A. Webb
Jacob is newly out of a long term abusive relationship, in need of some healing time mentally, physically and spiritually. A yoga retreat with his best gal pal to Mexico sounds like just the place to make things better, one way or another.

Pakal is spirit guide, having been sacrificed to the Mayan gods over a thousand years ago. His task is one he has been very successful at over the years - assist his charge in healing his broken spirit.

But one look at Jake, and Pakal feels things he has never...more
Mary
Jake has had it rough. His mother was abusive, his father didn't protect him and the guy who was supposed to love him had a warped idea of what that was. So when he meets Pakal, just the idea that he would trust one more time gives you an idea of how very strong his heart is. So we hope for him and we want his HEA. The fact that he wants to fight for it and can, makes the whole thing that much sweeter. Both men would give everything for the other and what more could be asked of them? To see Jake...more
Nile Princess
Wow, I really enjoyed this! Pakal and Jake are a joy. I will write a better review later but this was really well done! Made me smile, made me laugh, made my heart speed up and gave me the warm fuzzies in all the right places. It was also different and interesting. Kudos.

I will say that my heart sank a little at the last line. I had kind of suspected it, but then I somehow lost that thread of thinking and then, yes there it was. I would have felt happier if it had ended with them as equals..even...more
Lauraadriana
Well this was different. I liked this story a lot for the most part. It thought the writing was really good. The premise was interesting. I liked the whole going into the Mayan mythology.

Jake is on a yoga retreat with his best friend, he has come out of an abusive relationship and his having trouble figuring out how to go on, and even if he wants to. He meets Pakal the tour guide, but what Jake does not know is that Pakal is also a spirit guide who has been charged with helping Jake.

Pakal is dra...more
Beatrice
Oh, where to start? I didn't think I'd like this as much as I did. In fact, I wasn't even supposed to read this today. But then I saw the words "exhibitionism" and "public places" and told myself, "Christ. This is my kink. Lemme push it up the pile." And push it up I did. And I'm so glad, because this was certainly an intriguing book. The premise is different and one I haven't encountered yet. I mean, Mayan mythology? Not really that common, even when you look beyond M/M romance. So yes, while t...more
L-D
Pakal is a centuries-old Mayan spiritual guide. His latest charge is Jacob Freehan whose aura is very damaged from a previous abusive relationship. It is strictly forbidden for a spirit guide to get romantically and physically involved with his charges, but when Pakal meets Jacob, there is so much energy between them that Pakal can't stay away.

I thought this was a very good novella. The characters were richly developed and there were some interesting events and challenges that they undertake.

I...more
Fangtasia
The book blurb does a good job of providing a synopsis, so I won't go into that. This is a short book, but I believe it does what the author set out to do: hook the reader to the characters and world she created.

The paranormal aspect, based on Mayan culture and myth, is refreshingly original. The characters ring true, even the immortal Pakal. It's a little jarring that the MC's become attached to each other so quickly, but that can be explained by the "energy" connection they feel from the begin...more
Robin Covington
I read "Amor Prohibido" in one sitting. Jacob is a likeable, kind soul who is hurting terribly when he takes a trip to Mexico with his one friend, Kelly. Jacob is existing - not allowing himself to truly live because he doesn't think he deserves it. Pakal is an immortal - a Mayan Spirit guide- who is charged with helping Jacob find hope and meaning in his life.

The attraction between them is immediate but it's more than physical. I loved the way they cared for each other, The kindness in every to...more
Adara
So sue me, I really enjoy the forbidden romance trope. This one pushed lovely buttons. Jake is a damaged soul and Pakal is a spirit guide assigned to help him. It's forbidden for the guides to become involved with their charges, but there's an electric connection thrumming through them that neither can ignore, no matter how bad an idea it is. After all, Jake has a lot of baggage in the form of his past relationships and Pakal gets an not-so-nice trip to the Underworld for breaking that law.

If I...more
Embry Carlysle
First let me say that I'm never very good at this, fearful I may say the wrong thing, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Sometimes when a story is a novella the author seems to rush the story line to make it all fit, often times leaving it feeling disjointed and nonsensical. This was not the case with Ms. Carrington's book. She managed to create a fantasy world based on the Mayans, two men with their own dark secrets and pull it all together in a believable story. In fact it left me wanting mor...more
Amy
As a group we picked this book for a challenge to read all of the authors attending Gayromlit. I am so glad we did.

This book was a unigue and completely different experience than any M/M books I have read. Pakal is a fantastic character with such a different point of view. The history of the story appeals to me a lot.

It really is a heart warming and charismatic way to show what someone would do for love.

The main thing I truly loved about this story is that although it is a short story, there...more
Cryselle
Ellis Carrington has given us a story with some fascinating and diverse characters, some serious problems, and a vivid setting. Woven into a page-turning whole, Amor Prohibido was a single sitting read for me.

Jacob has recently terminated a long-standing abusive relationship with Danny, who has been Jacob's one and only relationship throughout his adult life. It's left him hurting on many levels; Danny didn't hesitate to use violence or emotional manipulation. Jacob's head is clearing slowly; he...more
Kate McMurray
I really loved this story; it pinged on a lot of my happy places. It's a really different conflict—an immortal spirit guide falls for a mortal but is forbidden from acting on his feelings—and it works well here, without feeling cheesy or ridiculous. (And the second half of the story goes to some [literally] otherwordly places, but it works in the context of the story). Jacob is a damaged but likable character, someone you really root for, and I had a lot of sympathy for the spirit guide Pakal as...more
Sharon
While this might be Carrington’s first m/m novella, she is definitely not new to writing or romance. Her words flow and her use of description brings the story alive visually, and when you are talking about a hot immortal spirit guide this is a good thing. ;)

Jacob is in a bad place in his life. He just ended a 14 year abusive relationship and has gone on a vacation to Mexico with his best friend to try and work through things. Enter Pakal. Pakal is a spirit guide who is supposed to help Jacob fi...more
Tamela
I almost gave this only three stars but then I realized that I was doing it because of my aversion to the Aztec gods. I've always found them rather repellent and too scary for me. Not fair to the story or writing which was good to give it a low score because of MY taste in gods. I guess I'm just too enamored with the classic greek and roman gods who are all mostly beautiful physically.

Story was good and I liked the way Jake dealt with the tests he had to pass. And the end surprised me, but also...more
Angel
Nov 16, 2011 Angel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I thoroughly enjoyed ‘Amor Prohibido’!!

‘Amor Prohibido’ springs from the outstanding and creative mind of Ellis Carrington. It tells the story of the flawed Jacob and his spiritual guide (angel) Pakal and their blossoming romance. It melds Mayan mythology and lore with a wonderful and exciting love story. I loved both characters and their wonderful adventures in the worlds of Gods and man. Although the story left some unanswered questions, I did wish the book were longer. This is definitely a s...more
Calathea
3.75*

The story has a very interesting setting and mythological background in the Aztec culture of Chichen Itza. I found the concept of spirit guide very intriguing.
The story gives Jacob a background with some heavy problems (child abuse and abuse in a partnership), but doesn't concentrate on these topics, which made me feel they weren't done justice.
It was never explained why any relationship between a spirit guide and his charge was forbidden and then Pakal gave in quite fast. It took away a l...more
Shirley Frances
I truly enjoyed this book. I've always enjoyed Paranormal books and this one was no different. What I liked the most was the originality of it. The whole Mayan mythology references really added that special touch to the story about a spirit guide and its charge. The world described within the story was well written and developed and the characters were well rounded and complemented each other. I'm not usually crazy about 'insta-love' stories, but I feel it worked here. All in all, a great, fast...more
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books
Amor Prohibido is on my shelf of favorite books to re-read for several reasons: well written, a different take on paranormal, great character development, and the fact that every little point of tension was not resolved by the end of the book. I love Ms Carrington’s style of writing and Amor Prohibido in particular. I dont' think I've ever given 5 stars to a new writer, so that's an indicator of the talent this author presents.
Laura M
I really enjoyed this fantasy world and these characters. Both Jacob and Pakal are willing to sacrifice everything for the other to survive and they do this in a unique world of spirit guides and underworld gods. I would love to see more stories from this world and will definitely be on the lookout for more from this author.
Rachel
I loved the Mayan mythology and culture in this...I've been to Chichen Itza and seen the cenote there, and it was very interesting and unique to read a story that used the Mayan underworld. I liked the characters and enjoyed reading about their relationship. I would definitely read more from this author.
Sadonna
Interesting short book about a damaged man and the spirit guide sent to heal him but ends up falling in love with him. Cool paranormal and Mayan cultural details round out the story. Look forward to more from this author.
Wt Prater
Short and sweet, this is a bathe time read. There were a number of times I was glad I was alone while reading. This story started strong, and kept me in its world for the endurance.
Poppy Dennison
This story is just gorgeous. No other way to put it. It engaged my senses, even my sense of smell...which was a wee bit gross at certain points. *g* You'll have to read to find out.
Meggie
Interesting plotted story, even if I couldn't connect to the main characters. The story was positive with happy ending.
Tailtiu
Tailtiu marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Jane A
I gave it 2 stars not because it was bad, but because it wasn't as good as many of the stories I've read. I liked the concept of the story, it was a very different kind of paranormal book. The characters were also likable and I really like the public sex, so hot!
The reason why it didn't rate that high on my list is because i didn't really like the way it was written. First of all, it was too short, the plot could've been developed more. Jacob had so many traumatic experiences in his past and...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

This was a nice, well written story. It's sweet and a tad angsty but enjoyable. I liked how the premise was different, dealing with Pakal being a spirit guide and Jake an abused man. I liked their journey together.

I think my biggest problem with the story, though, was the pacing. It begins slowly with a nice build up but then it goes by very fast. Everything happens quickly and while there's a few suspenseful moments, there's not much onscreen fighting for what they had to go through t...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Autopilot Engaged (Turbulence, #2)
  • Catching Kit
  • The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2)
  • Turnskin
  • Dance Only for Me (Dance with the Devil, #6)
  • Zombie Wonderland
  • Seeing is Believing
  • Priceless (The Gods, #1)
  • Tears From Above (Hot Summer Days)
  • Bomber's Moon
  • Destiny's Bastard
  • Snakeskin Boots (Were Menagerie, #1)
  • Canines, Crosshairs And Corpses
  • Trompe L'oeil
  • Duet
  • Falling for Archie
  • Rearranging Stars
Ellis Carrington was born after the Christmas of 2010 when she was gifted a Kindle and discovered the gay romance category on Amazon that same day. Sometimes her heroes are human and sometimes they aren’t, because angels and vampires deserve love too. Her favorite things are great friends, great music, and books that make her forget the outside world.
More about Ellis Carrington...
Yes, Sir Stripped Clean (Stripped Clean, #1) Immortal Valentine Total Immersion Feeling Neighborly