The Deep Blue Sea

The Deep Blue Sea

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A play sparked by the suicide of actor, Kenneth Moragn, with whom Rattigan had been in love.
Published September 1st 1999 by Nick Hern Books (first published January 28th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Deep Blue Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deep Blue Sea

Apr 12, 2012 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
Hester Collyer loves Freddie Page. She loves him so much she left her husband Bill to run away with Freddie to Canada, where he worked as a test pilot. She loves him so much she tries to kill herself when he forgets her birthday. She loves him so much she cannot bear the thought that he does not love her as much as she loves him.

So goes "The Deep Blue Sea." The play starts with Hester's failed suicide attempt, which is discovered by her landlady and another tenant who smell gas. While the premi...more
Catie Middleton
This is by far one of the most beautiful plays I have ever read. It is such a simply told story, and yet is so dramatic and hits you like a brick. I was breathless by the end of it. The movie was fantastic, and stayed very close to the play, which was a true blessing, because if Terence Davies hadn't I would have had to send a letter. An absolute classic. Loved every second of it.
Lisa
Terribly depressing (like the film) yet this got me reading more of his work like Harlequinade and The Browning Version.
Lauren
A few months ago, Rachel Weisz was on The Daily Show and drama geeked out when talking about her newest movie, an adaptation of this play. As a recovering drama geek, I loved seeing an actress of Ms. Weisz’s caliber acting like fifteen-year-old me after I first read David Ives (Seriously, he’s brilliant). I’m interested to see the movie now, because, as it is, this is a play that’s meant to be performed live, in front of an audience. It’s an intimate story that takes place in one day, in one roo...more
Sukanya
Achingly beautiful.

The braveness it takes to ask someone to love one back, even as things rapidly unravel. The humilty of putting one's dignity in the hands of the other, hoping against hope that it is returned intact. The braveness in revealing one's vulnerability to the one and only one who can take advantage of it. To be in that unique position to take advantage of and be taken advantage of. To refuse and to be refused. To be broken by love and to be inspired by the one spurned.

Rarely do we...more
Flurry
very thought-provoking exploration into the different types of love. I found it interesting that both Hester and Sir William did love each other, but in different ways and that Hester's explosive passionate love was not even the same love as Freddie's passion.
Lenha
I didn't know who was Rattigan nor had I ever heard about his work before watching the film adaptation of this play ,starring Rachel Weisz (incredible actress!).
I am still blown away by its subtlety and complexity. It is a play where even complexity is repressed, which is just brillant, and I appreciate that it is neither melodramatic or over-written. I love it because even if the subject has been written about for centuries, it still manages to ring so completely honest and true it makes your...more
Brian
This was great. The play -- inspired on events in Rattigan's life -- opens with the failed suicide of a woman caught in a love triangle. Wonderfully paced and naturally written.
Hannah Rae
Hannah Rae marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Aug 29, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jacky
Jacky marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Carlie
Carlie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Kthunter
Kthunter marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Anča Peštová
Anča Peštová marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Zacharyben11hotmail.fr
Zacharyben11hotmail.fr marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Rambler
Rambler marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Winslow Boy Browning Version Separate Tables Adventure Story (Acting Edition) After the Dance

“But the world is a dark enough place for even a little flicker to be welcome.” 2 likes
“To see yourself as the world sees you may be very brave, but it can also be very foolish.” 0 likes