Blank-133x176
Tirukkural: The Americ...

Thiruvalluvar

Tirukkural: The American English and Modern Tamil

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Original text, modern Tamil, and English translations of Tirukkuöraòl, ancient Tamil didactic verse work, by Tiruvaòlòluvar, Tamil poet.
Published April 1st 2000 by Abhinav Publications (first published 1962)

Mohit Misra
One of the best books I have ever read.Correctly called a classic I enjoyed every single couplet in this book.This is a book everyone should read,definitely one of my favorites
Jijo Varghese
I thought somebody would have read this. There was a cold shudder through my back when I searched all editions available here and nobody read it.

I would say if you are only confined to read only novels; then I wont call you as a reader or a person who have a hobby of patience and imagination. There is so many untouched books in Indian Theology and philosophy and everyone run behind so called international bestsellers!!!.

I ever asked me what Am getting by reading a novel..a sense gratification fo...more
PTS Books Club
Thirukkural, also known as the Kural, is a classic of couplets or Kurals (1330 rhyming Tamil couplets) or aphorisms celebrated by Tamils. It was authored by Thiruvalluvar, and is considered to be the first work to focus on ethics in Dravidian literature. Although the exact period of its composition is still disputed, scholars agree that it was produced before the 2nd century BC.

Thirukkural is divided into three sections. Section one deals with Aram, good ethical behavior with conscience and hon...more
Greg
The Kural is a book of wisdom in the form of poetic couplets, written by Tiruvalluvar around 1500 years ago in India. These couplets are divided into dharma (virtue), artha (wealth), and kama (love) - three of the four supreme aims of the Hindu tradition. These couplets are, simply put, fantastic. While the rendering into English inevitably causes them to lose much of their poetic form, the insights and juxtaposition of the couplets is often strikingly insightful nonetheless. This book is easy t...more
Purnacandra Sivarupa
This collection of simple couplets is a remarkably robust work on ethics, everyday psychology, and how to apply Saiva principles to daily life. This particular translation, by P.S. Sundaram, is a very readable rendering in modern English; it is quite clear, while maintaining the two-line structure of the couplets. It is thus a very literal translation, though the end notes, while interesting, are rarely even necessary to gathering the gist.
RandomAnthony
I like paging through this...it's a set of couplets divided into the categories of virtue, wealth, and love. For example:

To resist hatred is a gain,
To yield to it ruin.

I'm surprised this isn't more well known, I guess it's huge in India. I stumbled upon the book and pull it off the shelf every now and then. Not life-changing but thought provoking.
Suri
One of the original classical books. originated in palm leaves and lost. Then found by the historians, made availabe to us. Later translated to more than 30 languages by g8 scholars.

This book is a guide for the life. How to live and how to love.
Chakravarthi Bharati
One of the best and foremost books in Tamil.This book is not only for Tamil people but throught the world.

"So learn that you may full and faultness learning gain,
Then in obedience meet to lessons learnt remain" (Kural:391).
Sankara
Simple and crisp modern translation of the great ancient classic. Opt for gifting to your non Tamil speaking friend, if you want to introduce him/her to the world of Tamil classics.
Anand Nataraj
helps to take pointers for presentations...
Vshman
Everyday I read one and I wonder.
mwr
Some pretty good ones in here.
Rajesh
no yet started
Aruna
For Nosce te ipsum.
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Dr.s.lawrence Vibin
Dr.s.lawrence Vibin marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Selin Rejin
Selin Rejin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Satish
Satish marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Agavan
Agavan marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Pollachi
Pollachi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Kalai
Kalai marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Vishwanath Pagidi
Vishwanath Pagidi marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Beny
Beny marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
  • The Arthashastra
  • Mahabharata
  • Songs of Kabir
  • The Recognition of 'Sakuntala: A Play in Seven Acts
  • Aghora: At the Left Hand of God (Aghora)
  • Kalki's Parthiban Kanavu - Dream of Parthiban
  • Hind Swaraj or Indian Home Rule
  • God's Silence
  • The Complete Works of Chuang Tzu
  • Nehru: The Invention of India
Thiruvalluvar was a Tamil poet and philosopher . whose contribution to Tamil literature is the Thirukkural
More about Thiruvalluvar...
Thirukkural Le Livre de L'Amour de Tiruvalluvar திருவள்ளுவர் அருளிய திருக்குறள் (Thirukkural)

“Make foes of bowmen if you must,
Never of penmen.”
16 likes
“It is compassion, the most gracious of virtues,
Which moves the world.”