Start by marking “Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)

Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  14,801 ratings  ·  2,540 reviews
Knowing the outcome doesn't always make a choice easier...

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants t
Published February 12th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Pivot Point, please sign up.

Elsie When Addison is looking into the future it is called a search.
Addison Brighton There are two books.
1.Pivot Point
2.Split Second (Pivot Point #2)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
68th out of 1,524 books — 10,629 voters
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman's Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
6th out of 526 books — 2,451 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Stark

Buddyread with my main beautiful obsessive biatch and the lovely: Chelsea & Mela (Click to read their reviews)

I think that if you like contemporary romance with a little paranormal backdrop, then this is going to be the story for you. NOT FANTASY, NOT SCI-FI, BUT PARANORMAL (because there is absolutely no worldbuilding).

You see Addie has this gift (along with other abilities that these talented kids can “learn” in school because they use more of their brain than the regular “Norms”) and she
Blythe
I don't think of myself as the type of reader and reviewer who gives every book they love the full, five stars. There are some, if not most books I give four stars to that I say I love, and most if not all of the books I give 4.5 stars to are ones I say I love. But I tend to save five stars for books that are practically flawless to me; for books that, no matter how many minutes, hours, days, etc., I spend trying to find something that I didn't like about it, I still come up with nothing.

Pivot
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Kasie West is a certified writer of fluffy reads. Even a dystopian (sort of) novel can become fluffy when she writes it. As usual,she has this way of manipulating my feelings for her male characters. Is there something wrong with me if I admitted that I swooned for both Duke and Trevor? Lol.

The first half of the story is indeed all fluff. At some point, it was too fluffy it has become a bit of a drag. (If I used the word "fluffy" one more time here, you're allowed to hurt me already. Lol.)

But wa
Emily May

This book was exactly what I needed to read right now. After a series of books focusing on the depressing, the gory, the serious and various roads leading to the apocalypse, Pivot Point is a refreshingly bright novel brimming with fun. From the light-hearted and hilarious dialogue between the characters, to the sheer likeability of the protagonist - Addie - who doesn't bog down the novel with melodrama and angst but leads us through a story that is completely enjoyable and practically
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Enjoyed reading this, and there are numerous things I thought were very well done.

-- a Sliding Doors type story, which is uncommon in YA.
-- Interesting paranormal abilities
-- some genuinely cute romantic moments
-- a story that moves quickly and keeps the reader's interest
-- a solid ending that commits to the path it takes.

A few things that could have been explored in more depth:

-- the powers are fairly straightforward, and your usual X-Men/paranormal types
-- all the characters woul
Steph Sinclair
Pivot Point, I'm not quite sure what you are... but I think I kinda loved it. I have this issue where I feel the need to categorize things. I can't explain it, I guess that's just the way my brain works. Pivot Point was really an enigma for me because I just couldn't tell what genre it would fall in. From the blurb, it clearly screams sci-fi, but when you start reading it feels so contemporary. And that was a very, very pleasant surprise because the novel kept me guessing from beginning to end.

A
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
3.5 stars because I'm feeling especially generous today.

First, let me get one very important fact out of the way: technically, Pivot Point is practically flawless. There's nothing in it that bothered me or set my teeth on edge, but while I was reading it, I couldn't help but think of how much better it could have been. Because it's true: there were so many ways to tell this story and Kasie West chose the least interesting one. But I should start from the beginning.

Addie grew up in a top secre
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
This book was a birthday present from Anna-thank you, crazy alien friend :D And I buddy read this with my hilarious/sarcastic friend, Kat and asked lovely Mela to join along.

*3.5 Stars....I think*

He grabs hold of my hips and pulls me forward. "You didn't fail me tonight. You saved me. I must've looked like the biggest idiot."
I shake my head no, his hands on my hips making my breath come in shallow sips.
"What's wrong?" He asks.
"You're confusing me."
"Really? And here I thought I was making thin
sunset shimmer
This review is also available over at my blog.

_____________________

You know that feeling where you read a book that you were really really excited for, and at first you're worried that it might not live up to your high expectations, but then after you read it further and finish it, you realize that it not only lived up to your expectations, but exceeded them?

I just love that feeling. And it was exactly what I felt with Pivot Point. <3

In the world of this book there are humans with special min
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Buddy Read with my two lovely ladies, Kat and Chelsea! (click for their reviews...NOW)

So at first I was all like...

but then after a couple of chapters...

First off, this is a paranormal romance . Or sci-fi? I'm not sure, all I know is that this is a romance and nothing else, really, and I probably would have known that had I read the blurb other than the first time when I added this to my tbr more than a year ago.

So why am I going on about this?

Because for some reason I was expecting some acti
♥Rachel♥
Pivot Point was a wonderfully fast paced and exciting read. I was mesmerized from the first page. While it didn’t’ leave off on a cliffhanger, it’s going to be torture waiting for the next installment!

Addison is a girl with special powers living in a city held secret from the outside world; a city where other “paranormals” live and perfect their abilities. Addison has the ability to search her future and see the outcome of a path she takes. She doesn’t use her ability all the time, so when her p
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Mar 04, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a story which hasn't been done a thousand times before
Two Paths - One Choice.

photo d86c5e5c-6476-40c8-8733-1568b7757efa_zps01622687.jpg
3.5 stars (but the ending was 5 stars, so hurry up book 2!).

Poor Addie. I have a hard time trying to figure out which restaurant to go to or which movie to watch when given a choice. If you told me to pick between two paths which would lead my life in complete opposite directions, yet both paths might come with their own set of problems...forget it. I would probably end up having a nervous breakdown.

3 second basic story concept : Addie's parents are getting a divorce.
Giselle
para·nor·mal: adj. not scientifically explainable : supernatural
-Merriam-Webster

Meet Addison, or preferably Addie; Clairvoyant Divergent. Addie has the unique and thought-provoking ability of being able to see both sides of the coin. In other words, when she has a decision to make, she can see the future of each choice and pick the one that's best. Fascinating, no? But what happens when you don't want either future you foresee? This plot revolves around Addie's venture into two futures after s
Mitch
I sense a disturbing new trend in young adult books of borrowing high concept ideas from other genres, slapping it over your typical relationship drama like a crude veneer, and passing it off as the innovative new thing - and I don't like it. Case in point, Pivot Point, which takes the common enough science fiction idea of alternate futures serving as sort of a life lesson or teaching moment and turns it on its head with all angst, all the time. Believe me, I totally get the appeal of an ability ...more
Ariana
Can someone please come and erase my memory such that I can fall in love again with this story in 2014?

I really have a hard time believing that I will be able to sit still and wait a whole year for my favorite part of this story. I am even scared. I saw Addie fall in love 2 times (and I loved both love stories – well, one more than the other) and now I expect the next ‘beginning’ to be just as sweet.
I know, this is not the way to start my review, but how do you expect me to focus on writing whe
Erika
VIDEORECENSIONE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcvdy...

La trama si prospettava interessante fin dall'inizio: ci sono delle persone che vivono tra di noi nella massima segretezza e che hanno delle speciali abilità mentali. Ci sono i telecinetici, i telepati, i persuasivi e poi c'è Addie che ha il dono della "divergenza" che le permette, se messa davanti ad una scelta, di vedere i suoi potenziali futuri. -- Il suo potere le torna particolarmente utile quando i suoi genitori le dicono che stanno
Elena
I loved how fast-paced and addictive this book was!
Emily Anne
I don't know why, but I pre ordered this book 3 months before it came out, and I am so glad I did. Pivot Point glues you to it's pages, and I finished it in one night.

The book starts out very quickly. Addie comes home from her supernatural school to hear the news that her parents are getting a divorce. Her mom is staying in the Compound, while her dad is moving to the normal world. Addie has to pick who to live with.

She calls her best friend over and, to help decide, uses her powers as a searche
Kristal Kitap
Kitabı okurken hissettiklerim;

İlk 100 sayfası için;
Ah çok eğlenceli yaa. Bu Addison'ı çok sevdim. Kız gerçekten okumaya değer bir karakter. Trevor ise muhteşem zaten. Sırf onun için bile okumaya devam etmeliyim. Team Trevor. <3 Bu YA'mıydı ya? Gerçekten neden bu kadar eğlenceli YA'lar dururken basit aşk üçgenleri içeren kitapları çıkarıyor yayınevleri? Lanet olsun gerçekten çok komik.

Sonraki 100 sayfa için;
Ooooo. Kitabın temposu artmaya başladı. Neler neler olacak acaba? Sonunu çok merak ediy
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I heard good things about Pivot Point and thought it sounded really different and interesting, so I bought it a while ago when the Kindle edition was on sale.

I'll start off by saying that I thought the concept was awesome. The story is about a girl named Addie who has a supernatural ability to see her future––the problem is that she has to actually live out that future in her mind before returning to the present and deciding what she wants to do. At the beginning, Addie's parents get divorced a
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
I had a sneaking suspicion that I might hate this book and when I found out it was set in a secret high school for teenagers with special abilities. (Like the movie Sky High lol!) I was thinking “Oh crap! Abort, abort!!”

I don’t think I have really enjoy a paranormal book set in high school since Vampire Academy and I must admit I was expecting this book to be something more along the lines of The Time Travellers Wife. But this book is nothing like anything I have read before. WOW!

Addie lives in
Kat Kennedy
West has a brilliant imagination and she’s jammed packed it into this book like it’s got an expiry date and needs to be used up. What she’s done here is weave a lovely narrative of two different realities into one coherent story and I think she’s done that very well. Let’s face it. It’s not easy to mix two completely different but chronologically equal events into one cohesive product. I have to admit to wondering, before I picked it up, if West had bitten off more than she could chew. And to be ...more
Ashley
Pivot Point by Kasie West - One little choice can make all the difference

BookNook — Young Adult book reviews

If there is any book in the world that can give you a book orgasm, it's this one.

Pivot Point is not just one of my favourite books. Screw favourite book of the month, or favourite book of the year. Screw favourite paranormal or favourite science fiction. This is at THE TOP. As in favourite book ever. As in the best book I have EVER read. Pivot Point was always really good, but when I got to the ending, my mind was completely blown, and this book soared to th
Lucia
4.5 STARS

My Addison:

My Trevor:

My Duke:

"When I read, I feel emotion all on my own. Emotion no living person is making me feel. To me, it islmost seems more real, because I know that those characters can't influence me with any power. S I like to remind myself that I can feel without anyone manipulating me...."

Pivot Point is YA paranormal story about people with special mental abilities. Addison with mum as Persuasive (able to persuade other people to do what she wants) and dad as Discenser (a
Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑
This book was one of the best SF/YA book I've read and I feel the urge to hide in a corner under a blanket because I never reviewed it. Kind of. Bad, bad me.

So guess how much I'm relieved and glad to introduce you this wonderful review that my friend Mara wrote. You Xmen and comics readers, go read this. Now.

Okay, I might be a bit harsh here. Sorry. You know I'm almost always except when I am NOT like that right?

You'll find all you need before reading this book in Mara's review

PS : No need to
Addie lives in a paranormal compound hidden from the normal population. Her best friend Leila can erase memories, her mom can influence people, and her dad is a lie detector. Addie has a unique power where she can see the different outcomes of a choice in her life. She can only look into her own future and she usually doesn't look further than a few hours or days. Too many extra memories to deal with. The farthest she ever looked was one week when she waned to see how a date to the dance with Bo ...more
Sara Raasch
I'm going to lay out two possible futures for you. Are you ready?

So, you walk into a bookstore, and there on the shelf sits PIVOT POINT. In your pocket is your most recent wad of book-money, which you had intended to spend on your ever-growing collection of books about vampires. But then you see PP, a book that is completely vampire-free, and you think "Hm. Maybe today, I should try something different?"

These are the two futures, as laid out for you by me, the Knower of Futures:

1) If you buy PIV
Kimberly Sabatini
I'll be honest. Most of the time I know what's going to happen in a book. Maybe not the smallest details, but the big picture is usually there--I'm a good predictor. If the writing is really good--and most of the time it is--it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the story. But from time to time, I like it when I'm stumped, frantic and half-crazed, wondering where this novel is going to end. PIVOT POINT by Kasie West took me there and I loved it!!!

Addison Coleman's life is one big "What if" a
Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘
I can't even begin to put into words how much I freaking loved this book. Alternate realities, dreamy and injured quiet boy, super powers and smart mouthed heroines have become my favourite recipe for reading success. Though this book is definitely a lot darker than the previous Kasie West's books I've read, I felt that it had a greater impact on me and left me in a big emotional mess that I'm still trying to piece back together. I simply can't put into words, and quite frankly, refuse to expoun ...more
  • Parallel
  • Premeditated
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Let the Sky Fall (Let the Sky Fall, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Outcast
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • Unremembered (Unremembered, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • Revel
I write YA. I eat Junior Mints. Sometimes I go crazy and do both at the same time. My novels, published through Harper Teen are: PIVOT POINT and its sequel SPLIT SECOND. And my contemporary novels: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, ON THE FENCE, and THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND. My agent is the talented and funny Michelle Wolfson.
More about Kasie West...

Pivot Point (2 books)
  • Split Second (Pivot Point, #2)
The Distance Between Us On the Fence The Fill-In Boyfriend Split Second (Pivot Point, #2) The Sun, the Moon, and the Truth

“When I read, I feel emotion all on my own. Emotion no living person is making me feel.” 321 likes
“I don't care when people think I'm an antisocial, controlling bookworm because that's what I am. It's when they interpret me wrong that I have a problem.” 288 likes