Start by marking “げんしけん: 二代目 The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 10 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II, #1)” as Want to Read:

げんしけん: 二代目 The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 10 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published May 23rd 2011 by 講談社

To ask other readers questions about げんしけん, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about げんしけん

Chibineko
There's going to be some mixed emotions about some of the content in this book, because at times it feels so vastly different than the first "season" of Genshiken. This is both a good and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

Part of what made the original set of Genshiken manga so much fun was how realistic it felt, giving so many of us a feeling of "we've totally experienced this". To an extent this is still present in this volume, but over all of this there's a veneer of complete and
Sean O'Hara
I didn't know what to expect from this. I mean, the original Genshiken ended so perfectly -- all the characters from the start of the series graduated and went off to start careers, leaving the club in the hands of three capable underclassmen. Obladi-oblada, life goes on. Is a sequel really necessary? Especially one that shifts the dynamics of the club significantly?

Well, maybe not necessary, but it is good.

The new series picks up a few weeks after the original with Ogiue now club president. Sin
Anna
Its now a "fujoushi" club... but unlike the previous members, these girls are just not as likable, not yet anyway
Alexander Case
Apr 23, 2014 Alexander Case rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anime and manga fans
Shelves: anime-manga, fandom
I'm going to admit that I'm kind of oddly disappointed by the fact that Kenjiro Hato isn't transgender, though as the series stands thus far, it's entirely possible that the character could be revealed down the road as being TG after all, but in denial.

Still, it's a good continuation of Genshiken, and it's a nice new start. It's also nice to be a series focused on otaku that isn't focused entirely on material for male audiences, though we'll probably have some stuff along those lines in later vo
Mayday
As I thought, the next generation is totally different from previous generation. Not that I hate it (look at the 5 stars), but the feeling is not just the same, like Madarame has said and that can't be helped since most of its member are now fujoshi girls (forget the facts that Hato is male and Mirei is actually a girl).

I thought, Hato-san would be the gay character here but I think my fangirl mind got the better of me that moment. I even thought he will end up with Madarame-san, oh the way mang
Kris
Starts off slow, but once they start to show off the new characters' personalities and interests and have them interact with the old group it really picks up. Bonus: they have not forgotten the big unresolved plotline from the first series. Yeah, you know which one I mean.
Sarah Jane Smith
Oh no, I've fallen in love with Genshiken all over again. Now I have the urge to make a doujinshi! Too bad I can't draw, kol kol kol. And to the surprise of no one, Hato-kun is my favorite of the new club members. Fundanshi who crossplay for the win!
Kevin
Not as great as the first nine volumes but I'm so glad that Shimoku restarted Genshiken and I hope it goes for a very long run
Crystal
I don't like the new cast of characters as much as the old ones, but it was still a good read!
Kate
Unspeakably hilarious.
Kim
Kim added it
Oct 26, 2014
Naomi Moffitt
Naomi Moffitt marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Jolene
Jolene added it
Sep 27, 2014
♥Juvia♥
♥Juvia♥ marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Individuo80
Individuo80 marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Wwonkagirl
Wwonkagirl marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Shimoku Kio (木尾 士目) is a Japanese manga artist best known for his manga Genshiken, which was originally serialized in the Afternoon Magazine. It was later published in Japan by Kodansha, which produces Afternoon Magazine, and by Del Rey in the United States. Genshiken is an anime, manga, and light novel series about a college otaku club and its members.
More about Shimoku Kio...
Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 1 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #1) Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 2 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #2) Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 7 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #7) Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 3 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #3) Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 4 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #4)