Start by marking “げんしけん: 二代目 The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 10” as Want to Read:
げんしけん: 二代目 The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 10

げんしけん: 二代目 The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 10 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II #1)

Published May 23rd 2011 by 講談社

To ask other readers questions about げんしけん, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about げんしけん

Gabrielle
This is a good follow up to the manga of the same name. As most of the original casts graduated, the club continues on with new members that are more out of ordinary cliché characters that are usually reserved to geeks. From a (maybe) trans character who was bullied/not accepted to a woman who keeps to herself and to an American who pretends to be weird but in reality wiser than she looks. This follow up got me intrigued for I enjoyed the previous "season".
Comedy and heartfelt drama at its best
Anna
Sep 07, 2012 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Its now a "fujoushi" club... but unlike the previous members, these girls are just not as likable, not yet anyway
Chibineko
Sep 17, 2012 Chibineko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: addicting
There's going to be some mixed emotions about some of the content in this book, because at times it feels so vastly different than the first "season" of Genshiken. This is both a good and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

Part of what made the original set of Genshiken manga so much fun was how realistic it felt, giving so many of us a feeling of "we've totally experienced this". To an extent this is still present in this volume, but over all of this there's a veneer of complete and
Sean O'Hara
Feb 03, 2013 Sean O'Hara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, slice-o-life, otaku
I didn't know what to expect from this. I mean, the original Genshiken ended so perfectly -- all the characters from the start of the series graduated and went off to start careers, leaving the club in the hands of three capable underclassmen. Obladi-oblada, life goes on. Is a sequel really necessary? Especially one that shifts the dynamics of the club significantly?

Well, maybe not necessary, but it is good.

The new series picks up a few weeks after the original with Ogiue now club president. Sin
Laura (ローラ)
Genshiken Second Season Volume 1 (or just Genshiken Volume 10)? I'm not otaku enough to know why this was released as "second season" -- but I can assume it was to confuse fans into thinking that this was a new series and to buy it even if they didn't have the first season.

It's a new season -- but all of the original characters are still there. They just don't necessarily come to club meetings anymore. Except maybe Madarame-kun.

The new president, Ogiue has set out to find new members to join the
Mayday
Oct 24, 2012 Mayday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
As I thought, the next generation is totally different from previous generation. Not that I hate it (look at the 5 stars), but the feeling is not just the same, like Madarame has said and that can't be helped since most of its member are now fujoshi girls (forget the facts that Hato is male and Mirei is actually a girl).

I thought, Hato-san would be the gay character here but I think my fangirl mind got the better of me that moment. I even thought he will end up with Madarame-san, oh the way mang
Kim Dyer
Nov 15, 2015 Kim Dyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-comics
I really wasn't sure where the 'second season' would go after the end of Genshiken but I wasn't disappointed. The series didn't feel as though it was retreading old ground. The now mostly female cast offer a whole new dynamic (though the old guard do still cameo from time to time).

The new characters are an interesting bunch, with cross-dressing Hato being the primary focus of this volume. The one thing that did frustrate me was Yajima's attitude toward him (I really can't believe no one called h
Alexander Case
Apr 23, 2014 Alexander Case rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anime and manga fans
Shelves: anime-manga, fandom
I'm going to admit that I'm kind of oddly disappointed by the fact that Kenjiro Hato isn't transgender, though as the series stands thus far, it's entirely possible that the character could be revealed down the road as being TG after all, but in denial.

Still, it's a good continuation of Genshiken, and it's a nice new start. It's also nice to be a series focused on otaku that isn't focused entirely on material for male audiences, though we'll probably have some stuff along those lines in later vo
Kris
Sep 22, 2012 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts off slow, but once they start to show off the new characters' personalities and interests and have them interact with the old group it really picks up. Bonus: they have not forgotten the big unresolved plotline from the first series. Yeah, you know which one I mean.
Sarah Hayes
Sep 06, 2013 Sarah Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
Oh no, I've fallen in love with Genshiken all over again. Now I have the urge to make a doujinshi! Too bad I can't draw, kol kol kol. And to the surprise of no one, Hato-kun is my favorite of the new club members. Fundanshi who crossplay for the win!
Kate
Feb 22, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Unspeakably hilarious.
Kevin
Jun 19, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, comics
Not as great as the first nine volumes but I'm so glad that Shimoku restarted Genshiken and I hope it goes for a very long run
Kevin
Sep 04, 2015 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, japan, manga
Not as good as the original, but it's still Genshiken.
Ann-Marie Bowdler
Ann-Marie Bowdler rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Ben White
Ben White rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2012
Daniela Moreno
Daniela Moreno rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Jasmine Saparamadu
Jasmine Saparamadu rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2012
Bianca
Bianca rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Marko
Marko rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Kenny
Kenny rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Reese Abbott
Reese Abbott rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Hugh
Hugh rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2013
Tierney
Tierney rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Schnekk
Schnekk rated it did not like it
Jun 12, 2014
Peter Searle
Peter Searle rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Flower of Life, Volume 1
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 13
  • A Certain Scientific Railgun, Vol. 6
  • ¡Yotsuba! Vol. 11 (Yotsuba&! #11)
  • Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: The Power of Negative Thinking Volume 4 (Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei #4)
  • アイツの大本命 2 [Aitsu no Daihonmei 2]
  • Naoki Urasawa Präsentiert: Monster, Band 17: Bin wieder da (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #17)
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • Toradora! Vol. 5
  • Welcome to the N.H.K. Volume 2
  • K-ON!, Vol. 3
Shimoku Kio (木尾 士目) is a Japanese manga artist best known for his manga Genshiken, which was originally serialized in the Afternoon Magazine. It was later published in Japan by Kodansha, which produces Afternoon Magazine, and by Del Rey in the United States. Genshiken is an anime, manga, and light novel series about a college otaku club and its members.
More about Shimoku Kio...

Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • げんしけん: 二代目 The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 11