Start by marking “Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life: Train Your Brain to Get More Done in Less Time” as Want to Read:

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  313 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The key to a less hectic, less stressful life is not in simply organizing your desk, but organizing your mind. Dr. Paul Hammerness, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist, describes the latest neuroscience research on the brain's extraordinary built-in system of organization. Margaret Moore, an executive wellness coach and codirector of the Institute of Coaching, translates ...more
Published December 27th 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life

The Power of Habit by Charles DuhiggThe Brain That Changes Itself by Norman DoidgeBuddha's Brain by Rick HansonIncreasing Intuitional Intelligence by Martha Char LoveChange Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel G. Amen
Neuroplasticity
9th out of 53 books — 82 voters
The Total Money Makeover by Dave RamseyCelebration of Discipline by Richard J. FosterWired for Intimacy by William M. StruthersSmart but Scattered Teens by Richard GuarePolitics - According to the Bible by Wayne A. Grudem
2014 Books I've Read
17th out of 26 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Vicky
Feb 07, 2012 Vicky rated it liked it
I don't normally go to Harlequin for non-fiction books, but thanks to Netgalley, I found this one. Though there are a lot of books out there on how to organize yourself, this one takes a different slant as it focuses on organizing your thoughts first.

The authors propose techniques that could be helpful to those who suffer from ADHD, as well as those who just want to become more efficient and mentally train themselves to think in a systematic way.

The six steps are:

1. Tame the Frenzy
2. Sustain Att
Rose
"Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life" is a unique self-help book, one I haven't come across among some of the non-fiction literature I usually peruse in the mind, health, and body dynamic. There are many guides that address ways to be organized in categorical labels and filings and using productivity guides and software . But this particular work takes disorganization and focuses on the problems stemming from a more complex root: the mind.

It delves into the processes and thoughts behind why
Tanya
Aug 23, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it
This book describes some techniques to help modify Inez's responses to environmental stimuli to create less stress and more productivity. The pair of authors are good coaches through the process of change. Distractions are going to occur, but this book helps you by guiding you towards mindful rather than impulsive decisions.

The author suggests creating motivators into mission statements. For example, I will improve my relationship with my children if I am better able to tame the frenzy and focus
Experience Life
What do your neurological patterns have to do with the mess on your desk? Everything, say the authors of Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life. That’s why this book doesn’t just teach readers organizational and list-making skills. Instead, it tackles the source of the problem — cloudy and disorganized thinking.

Distraction has become an epidemic, say authors Paul Hammerness, MD, a Harvard assistant professor of psychiatry, and Margaret Moore, life coach and codirector of the Institute of Coachi
Jul 22, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This book is a team authorship of psychologist and life-coach. The psychologist, Paul Hammerness, specializes in patients with ADHD. Since my son has ADHD and I have some ah, characteristics of my own, learning more about the operation of the brain and how emotion and stress affect its function was really helpful. I also thought that the life coach, Margaret Moore, had very realistic suggestions on ways to improve attention and effective time management. For me the funniest moment was a story ab ...more
Sandy Swain
Oct 19, 2012 Sandy Swain rated it liked it
Shelves: brain
This is the type of book that I usually really like and devour but for some reason I had a hard time getting through this one. I can't quite put my finger on why but the writing style was not compelling enough to keep me interested.

I guess the best insight I got was the distinction between "multi-tasking" and "set-shifting". There was an excellent example of a woman going through her day trying to multi-task and ending up in a big distracted mess with a bunch of unfinished projects. Then it wen
Christina
Apr 27, 2012 Christina rated it it was ok
This book had a lot of potential. It is based on the premise that everyone who has trouble with organization can benefit from strategies designed for people with ADHD. Despite this, while I do have ADHD, it became clear quickly on that the target audience is a person who has trouble in one or a few areas.

The introduction was frustrating, as the same information was hashed out over and over again. When you're dealing with distracted people, this is not a good technique. I found myself having to
Amy
May 23, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Science behind an organized brain and how that translates to organization in your everyday life. Interesting, enlightening, but not life changing. The scientist tells you the why and the life coach tells you how. I love books that give insight on how the brain works, so I enjoyed it. Overall message I got was to practice good habits and that will train your brain to be more organized.

RULES OF ORDER:
Tame the frenzy:managing emotions, don't forget physical aspects of this

Sustain Attention:ignore d
Stephanie
Jan 04, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This book talked a lot about adult ADHD and the challenges that come with that condition. They also talk about how people without ADHD may also suffer from some of the symptoms. The main takeaway I got from the book was the identification of patterns of disorganization and how to address those patterns. It took a very academic approach and was neither touchy\feely nor prescriptive.

I listened to this book on Audible and the performance was enhanced by having 3 readers. One did the intro, one did
 ರೋಶನ್
Oct 30, 2015 ರೋಶನ್ rated it liked it
A unique book which provides ground breaking solutions to real world, real life issues we face at work place, from organizing point of view that is. This guide defines innovative ways to improve a human's quality of thinking thereby facilitating improved quality of performance. The one liner - "Use your creativity to connect the dots." does help in connecting all the dots presented as different notions in the compilation. Multitasking is another parameter on which a person's capabilities are jud ...more
Ann Laudisio
Love reading about brain research. This book had lots of insights into ADHD. A portion of the book was authored by a life coach who offered some interesting strategies. Wish we would think more like this in education instead of wanting to 'label' anyone who learns differently than the typical!
Senator
Jun 07, 2015 Senator rated it liked it
A few good nuggets of advice, but I found the story after story to be tedious and more like, "there, there, reader. See? You're not alone, there are others like you." This can be good motivation, and did help me slightly. However, as far as techniques to use, it takes a bit of digging to get to.
Ramesh Naidu
Jul 09, 2015 Ramesh Naidu rated it really liked it
The authors have formulated an interesting strategy to help with organization . Certainly no silver bullet but it does offer some very interesting and rather compelling perspectives
Jeanette Johnson
It took three years and two library check outs, but I did finish this book.

It wasn't a life changer like "Getting Things Done" had been for me, but it did condense down into a page and a half of working notes for me to apply. Many of the concepts are common sense, but the reader benefits from seeing them clearly outlined in black and white (I.e. Knowing your attentional limits and energy management).

In synopsis, today's Information Age causes stimuli overload and expert advice for managing ADD/
Richard
Jan 19, 2014 Richard rated it it was amazing
Of all the different books I have read on getting organized this is the best. I can't say this book will work for everyone but it does have solutions that worked for me. It combines the science so you can understand with ideas that work on how to move forward.
Sara
Jun 22, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
This book is exactly what I need right now. To organize my mind, limit distractions and concentrate on the important stuff. It won't make me be fully in control, but at least I can learn to better manage my time by dealing with emotions in a new way. I found it interesting, i would have liked to learn things through personal exercises though. I liked the stories and it did give you tips on how to tame the frenzy and focus your energy on what matters. I'll keep this in mind when things get overwh ...more
Georgianna
May 27, 2012 Georgianna rated it it was amazing
“By the time I reached the appendix of Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life, I was sure the authors wrote this book for me! The Rules of Order are now posted on the ‘frig, near the computer and in my appointment book. “Apply the Brakes” is my new mantra when feeling overwhelmed. For me, this is in the moment meditation that has provided a new way to organize my brain, slow down the anxiety, and better focus on what I’m doing. Highly recommended for anyone who recognizes they need to “tame the ...more
Glennie Mercer
Started it a while ago - again, not a book to read cover to cover, rather good to have as reference
Yasheve
Mar 15, 2014 Yasheve rated it it was ok
Painful read
Jen
Feb 16, 2015 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: coaching
The scientific part got tedious and I ended up skipping parts of it. The case studies and Coach Meg's tips were the better parts. It was an interesting book overall, though I wish it had been a bit more simplified for putting into practice. I don't really need to know exactly what part of the brain does what and how, just how to apply concepts.
Priya
Oct 06, 2015 Priya rated it it was ok
I was not impressed the first time I read it...I was juggling a career, a new place, a 6 month toddler...But that said I did go back to the book and I think it is a good one.
This book does not give solutions handed out - But it gives good pointers, helps you identify the problems, tells the symptoms and asks us to diagnose the problem. If you want to use the book, use the pointers, think and write a lot of behavior patterns and then work through them ...then it definitely helps.
Keiko O
Mar 05, 2014 Keiko O rated it it was ok
The most valuable part of this book for me was the appendix that had quick advice for particular organization challenges.
Luciano Palma
Apr 11, 2012 Luciano Palma rated it liked it
Although the book brings some interesting information about the human brain, it presents a very basic framework that sounds like a trivial motivational speech. We all know that in order to become more organized, we need to get more organized...
The final "case studies" are not convincing as well, because it's put like magic: people that have a terrible life and quickly turn it in a perfect one. Honestly, I don't expect that much!!!
Jameson Haslam
This was fine. A quick read and a few useful pointers.
Alok
Sep 27, 2013 Alok rated it liked it
Usefull book with some live example which can be inspirational. Occasional brilliance and a bit boring inbetween and prodding around something which is easier said than done. Good book to read but it is seems to natural to remember. After reading the book I found it dificult to rememember any take away since it didnot didnot give any extraordinary or any punch. But the last 2 chapters has the gist of the book.
June
Aug 12, 2012 June rated it liked it
I always pick up little tidbits from books like this, as I did with this one. However, the book was rather uninspiring overall. I liked the psychological aspects of the book but really thought that the book was longer than it should have been. It also focused on what to do if you have ADHD. I am more interested in finding slivers of time to relax or accomplish more.
Valerie
Nov 02, 2014 Valerie rated it it was ok
I was disappointed that this book did not offer real solutions. There were too many stories and metaphors, and the book was very repetitive. I found myself skipping pages because they were repetitive and the book became boring.
Lori Kincaid
Aug 24, 2012 Lori Kincaid rated it it was ok
This book was a disappointment. I took a one hr course at work which focused on this book and its theories. It seemed intriguing so I decided to read the book. I found the research somewhat interesting, but none of the ideas seemed radical or extraordinary. I kept waiting for some irresistible tidbit, but found nothing. I finished the book, but it was drudgery.
Kathryn Bashaar
Mar 22, 2014 Kathryn Bashaar rated it liked it
This book was just okay for me. I already do most of the things they advise. I'm just a sucker sometimes for a book that looks like it's going to work some kind of magic, that if only I were COMPLETELY organized and disciplined my life would be perfect. This might be a good book for someone who is really disorganized and kind of starting from scratch.
GONZA
Nov 17, 2011 GONZA rated it liked it
What happens to an ADHD child when he/she grows old? This book answer to this question and to many more about attention and multitasking in every day life. Of course is not only addressed to ex diagnosed (or not) ADHD persons, but to all the people that are having problems handling their everyday life.
THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HARLEQUIND FOR THE PREVIEW
  • The Get Yourself Organized Project: 21 Steps to Less Mess and Stress
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Self-Discipline in 10 Days: How to Go from Thinking to Doing
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Simplify Your Life: Get Organized and Stay That Way
  • Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It!
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done
  • The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • What Happy Women Know: How New Findings in Positive Psychology Can Change Women's Lives for the Better
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
  • The Introverted Leader: Building on Your Quiet Strength
  • Take the Leap: Do What You Love 15 Minutes a Day and Create the Life of Your Dreams
  • The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life
  • Your Creative Brain: Seven Steps to Maximize Imagination, Productivity, and Innovation in Your Life
  • Smart Thinking: Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done
  • How Can I Help? What you Can (And Can't) Do To Counsel A Friend, Colleague Or Family Member With A Problem

“Balance. Flexibility. Poise. An ability to tamp down the emotions and to shift and set your attention on something else with grace and ease. As we shall see, these are all qualities of the well-ordered mind. That is, a mind that is organized and can focus and pay attention. A mind that can stay afloat and buoyant in a turbulent sea of change.” 0 likes