Start by marking “PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)” as Want to Read:
PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)

PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  649 ratings  ·  47 reviews
PHP and MySQL are popular open-source technologies that are ideal for quickly developing database-driven Web applications. PHP is a powerful scripting language designed to enable developers to create highly featured Web applications quickly, and MySQL is a fast, reliable database that integrates well with PHP and is suited for dynamic Internet-based applications.

PHP and My
Paperback, 4th edition, 7th print, 968 pages
Published March 2011 by Addison-Wesley (first published February 12th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about PHP and MySQL Web Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PHP and MySQL Web Development

Nawal Al-Qussyer
هذا كتاب ممتار جدا.. أنصح فيه أي أحد حابب يتعلم البي اتش بي.
مليان أمثلة ممتازة ومفيدة جدا. أنصح بهالكتاب للي عنده خلفية كويسة عن البرمجة لكنه حاب يتعلم البي اتش بي بشكل خاص..
فادني بشكل كبير.. وأسلوب الكتاب ممتاز جدا ومرتب وسهل.
قرأته في فبراير الماضي.. لكن فيه يمكن ابترز ما قرأتهم لعدم حاجتي لهم.. لكن البقية كمصدر تعليمي أقدر أقول انهم ممتازين جدا وراح تنمي معرفتك بشكل كبير في التعامل مع البي اتش بي والماي اس كيو ال
I used this book for one of my MLIS courses. I'm not sure if it was the book, or the course, but I can say that in combination, it wasn't the PHP introduction that I had been hoping for. To be fair, we only used about 8 of the chapters from this book, so there's a lot I didn't cover. Personally, I had a difficult time applying what was in the book to my course assignments, but again, that could have been the course/instructor's fault, not the book's, (and of course I understand that could have b ...more
Christian Tjhai
I recommend this book to those of you who just started to learn PHP, but already have a programming background. A Javascript and HTML scripting background should be fine for you to start using this book.

This book helps you a lot to get started real fast with PHP, because this book has much examples.

Updated on 2012:
Now is 2012, and I have been leading many PHP development teams. Unsurprisingly, I made curriculum based on this book to train the PHP development teams. This book is just awesome, I j
This is the book that taught me the basics of PHP and MySQL.
For years all I did was the first 2 chapters which taught me the basics of PHP and the basics of MySQL. This allowed me to actually do some work for money.

I remember making my first money right after finishing high school because I knew those things.

My point is, that this book actually knows how to begin. It teaches you the basics so you can actually start to practice. Years later I bought another book that... for the first 400 pages h
A very good book to start learning PHP, learned a lot and I would recommend it to anyone
Ивелин Георгиев
Jan 24, 2010 Ивелин Георгиев rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ивелин by: friend
I started learing php with this book and I can't say bad thing about this book ;)
Jure Vidrih
I've read this book and found it to be of a good quality(4/5). I had some experience with PHP and MySQL from before I picked up this book. Just as the book says, it doesn't leave out anything important unexplained, but at the same time it gives plenty of information on where and how to receive more information on certain topics. A large part of this book is also dedicated to building projects with potentially large numbers of users, such as online message boards, e-commerce, etc. This section of ...more
Sathya Prakash Moparthi
Before this book i used PHP for general programming purpose, but now i have a slight change in my perspective a i knew that i could be applied to large scale applications by the help of MySQL as back-end.
Abali Barcelonista
Jan 03, 2013 Rick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring web developers
This is a good introduction to web programming using PHP and MySQL. The material is clear and comprehensive, and the examples illustrate the principles well. You should have a working understanding of HTML and CSS before getting into PHP and MySQL, just for practical purposes since PHP is often used to generate HTML from data stored in a database (e.g., MySQL). The material provides a good, broad foundation for working with PHP and MySQL, but don't expect to be an expert when completing the book ...more
Benjamin Davidson
As a beginning programmer with only a handful of QBasic experience, this was the book that showed me everything I needed to know to start exploring my creative potential efficiently when programming. It gives excellent examples that clearly unify the model, view, controller framework at a low enough level that I never felt any unwarranted assumptions about my knowledge and understanding were made. This was back in the PHP 4 days, so things might have changed, but I owe a lot to this book all the ...more
Rolcom Ld
In common this book has answered almost al my questions.But...
According to PHP tutorial, using the substitutions for the bold terms, plus substituting DBPASSWORD with your own mysql password:

* Replace DBSERVER with the correct database servername for your site.
* Replace DBUSERNAME with your own mysql username.
* Replace DBNAME with your own mysql databasename.
So I coud not find these examples

I borrowed this book from the campus library, hoping it would give me some guidance on a database project. Turns out it has some excellent tutorials, e.g. the middle part of the book is easily readable even if you only know basic MySQL/PHP. The concise examples and explanations definitely helped me make rapid progress and learn more PHP than I could have otherwise. I would consider purchasing a newer edition for future reference.
Jesse Jones
By far one of the best books for getting started with PHP and MySQL. The book starts off slow and is perfect for a beginner to get started in database/dynamic web page creation. Over the course you create a shopping cart and learn how to integrate web services into your website. For PHP and MySQL, this is one of the best introductions.
Derek Bridge
A good PHP book for someone who can already program (whether in PHP or some other language). The strength lies in 2 or 3 of the case studies, which, while falling short of production-quality code, can help you transition from the noddy examples you see in most books and web tutorials to reasonably well-styled larger programs.
I needed to learn how to code specific things rather quickly, and I was able to get code implemented and working in a short amount of time after I got this book. I can also use this as a reference for certain php methods. For that reason, I give this 4 stars.
James napoli
working my way through building a dynamic php/mySql website, and this book is full of flaws and code that simply doesnt work. nearly 1k book, spends about 2 1/2 pages on actual php and mysql output/integration...weakSauce.
Graeme Breathnach
This book is very instructive. The examples in the book are excellent. Within a day or two of getting my hands on the book I was able to set up a database-driven website. Worked a treat and met all of my needs.
This is a great guide to PHP and MySQL, but it's worth noting that it contains various typographical errors. Confident programmers shouldn't find this a problem, as the mistakes are minor and easily fixed.
Erik van Berkum
I enjoyed the book and its a good introduction for PHP. I would not recommend the book since it really got dated. Especially the mysql part should be update to pdo or mysqli
Interesting text. A bit too detailed and more of a course than a reference, which is what I was looking for. I may check it out in the future and read some more...
Good technical book with great ideas to get you started. Many important areas are covered, though security isn't a major focus.
A good introduction to the world of PHP - Very introductory, but a very quick read if you understand it already.
Avinash Kumar
Pretty detailed book on PHP but IMHO, the examples could have been A LOT better. Most of the examples were boring.
James Anderson
Good study book, very informative material on PHP & MySQL databases! In some areas it could be improved though.
Hector Chicas
This was a starter for me. It really help my hand though the initial learning process and it was deep also.
Good book to start with PHP and MySQL. There are good examples and this book is perfect for begginers
Oct 30, 2008 RJ added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: php
PHP and MySQL Web Development (4th Edition) (Developer's Library) by Luke Welling (2008)
Pretty good book for PHP beginner, but a little bit out-dated.
Victor R.
still reading it... i'm on few pages and noticed some typo error...
Right destination for Ecommerce website development 1 1 Mar 30, 2015 02:30AM
Best features of Joomla web development 1 1 Jul 08, 2013 03:26AM
  • PHP Cookbook
  • Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL
  • Programming PHP
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving Flexibility and Protecting Against Worst-Case Scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Learning Perl
  • Professional PHP Programming
  • Advanced PHP Programming
  • Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional
  • Programming Perl
  • MySQL Cookbook
  • Essential PHP Security
  • HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)
  • DNS and BIND
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • Learning XML

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »