Start by marking “It Takes a Village Idiot: Complicating the Simple Life” as Want to Read:
It Takes a Village Idiot: Complicating the Simple Life

It Takes a Village Idiot: Complicating the Simple Life

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Millions of people dream of chucking the city routine and leading the simple country life. Jim Mullen was not one of those people. Even a short weekend in the Hamptons was enough to give him the shakes. He just didn't understand the whole culture of weekend houses. "Why don't they take the money they're going to spend on a second house and buy a better first one? One they ...more
Published May 9th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published November 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about It Takes a Village Idiot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes a Village Idiot

Jess
This was a cute, witty book about what you take for granted living in NYC--this cuts both ways; the things you take for granted being modern, easily-accessible, and of good quality and the things you take for granted being exorbitantly expensive, insanely inconvenient, and degraded beyond any possibility of enjoyment by overpopulation.

It was a timely read, as I am currently in the midst of figuring out my next move and trying to find a place of balance in which to make a home. Neither of the pl
Beth Nieman
Author Jim Mullen's book, "It Takes a Village Idiot," is the hilarious re-telling of his adventures with his wife in the Catskill Mountains of New York state. Mullen, a city-dweller who loves the night life, the arts, and the fine restaurants which are so easily accessed from his conveniently-located (but tiny) Manhattan apartment, is smug when he visits friends who own a weekend house; nothing, nothing could induce him to leave the excitement and sophistication of the city for a rotting rural ...more
Janice
I began this book strictly for the humor and I did enjoy the self-depricating humor of the author, but about half-way through I realized there was much more to this story. The author lives in NYC, born and raised there and loves it, can't imagine why anyone would live anywhere else. His wife buys a home in upstate NY, in the country, which the author has nothing but distain for, but slowly he learns to enjoy both communities for what they have to offer, but many laughs along the way.

We all live
Mormonhermitmom
I picked this one up in a thrift store - yes I was desperate for a cheap read. This is what happens when your local library is only open for four hours a day after school hours and if there is a school holiday it's closed PERIOD.

Actually though, it turned out to be one of my better 'cold' picks. I busted a gut, or nearly, I mean I really tried not to because when you are reading late at night in bed with a headlamp because your spouse has to get up at 0' dark thirty in the morning, you really ca
Kathy Tracey
What can I say, this is the book I wish I wrote. A city person moves into a quite, small community and spends time comparing life between the two. While there are some extreme exaggerations, overall there were many laugh out loud moments. Quote from page 178: The guests expect dinner to be on the table. Instead of people asking for the recipe, Sue will hear things like, "I've never had lasagna before," and "I've always heard you could eat asparagus but I never knew anyone who actually did" A gre ...more
Rebekkila
I have been looking for this book for years and finally bought it through amazon. The back story is a New York couple buy a weekend house in the Castskills. The story was funny and I completely knew where he was coming from a lot of the time. Everybody knows everyone up there so the newspaper finding out your business is a complete nightmare - stories about who passed a bad check and where it happened. One restaurant in the whole town where if it isn't meat, it's fried. Waving at everyone you pa ...more
Sharon
Now this is humor. Such a delightfully funny book, I laughed out loud at times. It's not just funny sometimes; it's funny in almost every paragraph. Jim Mullen is a very fine writer. He and his wife live in Manhattan. She buys an old house 3 hours away in the Catskills and drags Jim there on weekends, which become longer and more frequent stays. This is Jim's hilarious conversion from total immersion in city life to country life, kicking and screaming all the way. The people of Walleye, the coun ...more
Jackie
Nancie De Ross
One of my top 5 favorite books I have ever read. Could not put it down. Have bought copies to give to people. No other book have I bought to share!
This book was an enjoyable read that I laughed through.
Jyothi
Apr 26, 2015 Jyothi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i want to read this book.
Bridget
The author started out as such a self-satisfied big city snob, I was prepared to hate him and his anti upstate NY attitude. He turned out to be changeable, hysterically funny, and a writer worth reading. His sharp humor, though I enjoyed it from a distance, has to be embarrassing for his wife. She might be a saint. I think anyone would enjoy this funny memoir of a couple that begins weekending in the country after living for years in New York City.
Holden Robinson
I have lived a few short miles from a manure pond, so Jim's book is right up my alley. I thought it was terrific, characters well fleshed out, and I could picture each, so like people I've met during my stay in upstate New York. I'd have loved it to be a bit more wacky in the humor department, but I'm a wacky humor fan. Overall, terrific read! Daily I looked forward to coming home, curling up, and seeing what Jim and Sue were up to next.
Feb 26, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers, contry folks
Shelves: horses-country
Despite being 5 years later, still one of my FAVORITE top-5 books of all time. I have read countless country memories, vet books (i.e. James Harriot), farm stories, etc.; but this one still remains my favorite. Why? Because the stories are witty, original, and realistic. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys animals or the outdoors as much as I do.
Sandy
What happens when a couple, entrenched in the Manhattan lifestyle, chuck it all to buy a farm in the Catskills? At first, the author came across as arrogant and insufferable, but as the book went on his opinion, as well as mine, changed. I especially appreciated that the name of the actual town and residents were kept private. A witty, enjoyable read.
Amanda
Well it was funny but not nearly to what the reviews were for his book. Maye it was because I built up this high expectation after reading some reviews. I did find myself relating to some of the stories in the book or could see myself in the same situation. I guess in a way I related a lot to the main character.
Stephanie
I really enjoyed this book. It's been some time since I read it, and I would definitely read it again. As someone who has lived both in the city and in the middle of the country, I could completely relate! There were portions that were laugh out loud funny, especially if you've ever been in those same situations!
Deidre
Too easy. Although it touches on the the us/them, cityfolk/flatlanders vs. farmer's/upstate dwellers dichotomy, it was a lil heavy on the snark and lacking in rich detail. Paints a pretty watercolor of the simple life, but I guess I should have expected less from a entertainment weekly author.
Ken
Feb 19, 2008 Ken rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone looking for a good, humorous read.
Shelves: nonfiction
Jim Mullen used to write for Entertainment Weekly. This book tracks his (and his wife's) exit from city life as they move to rural New York state and begin a new life in an old farm house. Mullen's book is funny and his observations on the absurdities of modern life are spot on.
Robyn
Another of my comfort food books. This is my go-to book I almost always end up reading after I've exhausted a series and am so disappointed it's over. I can always count on this book. It's like I know enough to not start searching for the next great series, take a break, read this!
Christine
I had so much fun reading this, since I grew up in "Walleye". It is hysterical looking at my rural town through a city dweller's eyes (although it has changed a lot since then). I can't believe I never heard the term "flatlander" though!
Jackie
I absolutely love this book!! Some of my family live in the"Walleye" area and everything he says is so very true! I couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire book! Definately one of my favorite books of all time!
Jen
The International Harvester Child Impaler and the Ford Dethumber* - I loved this book.

(*Not sure if I have those right, but each time I see farm equipment, I think of these models.)
Awwwtrouble
Good. Fast read. I was amazed at how dated it was - written pre-9/11. Would actually be interested to read a sequel, to learn how much it's changed in the past ten years.
Abby
if you haven't read this , and love all things hilarious and sarcastic, run and buy this book. It is a quick read, but by far one of the funniest books I've read.
Erik
This was an enjoyable and quick tale of "flatlanders" in the country that read like an extended humorous magazine article. Well written and fun to read.
Kathleen
I enjoyed this book. It was pretty funny. A story about a NYC couple that buys a home in the country and their transition from city life to country life.
Carly
Funny, funny, stuff! It is even more funny if you have been/ lived in a big city and know that people like this are either a)you b)out there.
Stitchywoman
Wonderful book about moving to the country. Very humorous view of country life and making the conversion from city life.
  • Country Matters: The Pleasures and Tribulations of Moving from a Big City to an Old Country Farmhouse
  • Balsamic Dreams: A Short But Self-Important History of the Baby Boomer Generation
  • Plane Insanity
  • Celebration, U.S.A.: Living in Disney's Brave New Town
  • The City Homesteader: Self-Sufficiency on Any Square Footage
  • Long Distance
  • It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks
  • Murder Plays House (A Mommy-Track Mystery #5)
  • The Organization Man: The Book That Defined a Generation
  • My Love Affair with England: A Traveler's Memoir
  • End of Story
  • I Want to Grow Hair, I Want to Grow Up, I Want to Go to Boise
  • C'est la Vie: An American Woman Begins a New Life in Paris and--Voila!--Becomes Almost French
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Real Ponies Don't Go Oink!
  • Blue Blood: Duke-Carolina: Inside the Most Storied Rivalry in College Hoops
  • She Flies Without Wings: How Horses Touch a Woman's Soul
Baby's First Tattoo: A Memory Book for Modern Parents Now in Paperback! Kill Me, Elmo:  The Holiday Depression Fun Book How to Lose Money in Your Spare Time at Home My First Wedding: A Planner for Modern Couples