Start by marking “Sudden Independents (Independents Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Sudden Independents (Independents Book 1)

Sudden Independents (Independents Book 1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Jimmy never thought he’d be spending the apocalypse farming in Nebraska and worrying about Hunter. But when the plague killed their parents, along with everyone over the age of seventeen, Jimmy suddenly became head of the household.

Then the oldest kid in town turned eighteen and the plague chased him down. Now Jimmy has one more thing to worry about—and he’s running out of
Published July 5th 2011

Win a Copy of This Book

• Sudden Independents by Ted Hill
    Sudden Independents (Book 1)
    Release date: Jun 30, 2014
    Giveaway dates: Oct 06 - Oct 31, 2014
    1 copy available, 268 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Sudden Independents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sudden Independents

Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
    What I really loved about this novel was Ted's masterfully crafted characters. He beautifully portrayed this world where we could get in teenager's heads both male and female. I didn't feel like I was reading a novel written by an adult. I felt like I literally was in these teens' heads. I felt like I was getting a vivid picture of what it would be like to be a slightly rebellious male teen...and that's saying something.

This novel was intriguing, well-written, and the plot fit in with the curren
    Lord Nouda
    Fixed. It's actually a lot worse than I initially thought (I hadn't finished reading all of prior to rating the book, during the last third the writing was bad and got worse near the ending). The fact that every main character got a hot gf/bf (hello Ted, this is a post apocalyptic world where most of the world's population died after all. How is it that every survivor can find a perfect other half in the same town?)

The first half however, was really great. It had built up a pretty solid storylin
    Amy Sanders
    I'm always looking for good dystopian books, young adult or other, and downloaded the one a couple of days ago. This one did not disappoint. I started reading it today and couldn't put it down. The text flows well, and I was drawn into the characters and plot from page one. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
    The BookWhisperer
    A plague has swept the nation (and possible world) killing everyone eighteen years of age and older. The kids that are left behind are determined to man up and keep on living as best as they can. Jimmy, a seventeen year old, is a council member of a town called “Independents” and his soul goal is to provide for the children under him and beat the plague that is knocking at his door. When his brother Hunter returns to town with a small girl named Catherine, he realizes that his prayers may be ans ...more
    Julie S.
    This started out being pretty interesting and I was intrigued by the premise. Having everyone over 18 die of a plague and leaving kids and teens to survive on their own is really a cool premise for a post-apocalyptic dystopia novel. I liked how the story changed points of view at first and enjoyed the early story line of how these kids lived, including having teenage doctors and parents to try to keep the world going. About half of this novel was enjoyable to me. The second half was just awkward ...more
    Treena
    I liked the way it started but annoyed with the way it ended. I will not be reading the next books - bummer :(
    Majd Abdulghani
    I really, really wanted to like this book. It's a shame I couldn't.
    Melissa
    Great book! Awesome characters and I can't wait for the next book! =)
    Tyra Lynn
    I love to read. I have my favorite genre's just like most readers, but I can enjoy any subject if it is written well enough. I really enjoyed this book.

I am not as big a fan of the dystopian plots as a lot of others seem to be right now, so it took me a little while to truly get 'into' the book. (Give me a break, I've been werepirefallenangeling for a while. This skin fit different when I first put it on, okay? *grin*)However, while I was waiting for the skin to slip into place I couldn't help n
    TONIA DELLINGER
    AFTER A PLAGUE HAS HIT THE WORLD AND CLAIMED THE LIVES OF EVERYONE OVER 18, THE CHILDREN ARE LEFT TO FEND FOR THEMSELVES. JIMMY IS THE TOWN LEADER OF THE TOWN OF INDEPENDENTS. IT IS MADE UP OF CHILDREN OF ALL AGES WHO HAVE VARIOUS JOBS. THEY HAVE LEARNED TO FARM AND SCAVENGE FOR OTHER RESOURCES TO MAKE LIFE WORTH LIVING. THINGS ARE MOVING ALONG BUT JIMMY IS TERRIFIED OF TURNING 18. THE PLAGUE IS STILL AROUND CLAIMING LIVES INCLUDING HIS OLDER BROTHER. ALL JIMMY HAS LEFT IS THE TOWN AND HIS LITTL ...more
    Alexandra

Petrifying yet so interesting.

Sudden Independents is a typical young adult dystopian but with a hint of the supernatural.

The story presents a future where a plague took the world, or maybe in America only, that killed all the adults, saving only kids below 18 years old. A group leads a refuge place called Independents- Jimmy, Hunter, Scout, Molly, Ginger, Vanessa, Mark, Samuel, the Brittanys and Luis. These kids act as functional adults.

Then Catherine came. And so do Chase. And that's where thi
    Janaye
    I really could not take this book seriously. It started out ok with the basic premise of: All adults (anyone over the age of 17) has died due to a virus and now the kids have to rebuild. Not an original idea by any means (Check out The Girl Who Owned A City by O.T. Nelson, it was first published in 1975), but a solid one that leaves a lot of room for exploration.

There were characters who you were obviously meant to hate (MOLLY!), but they have miraculous changes of heart/life. It was all to con
    Darlene
    Aug 06, 2012 Darlene rated it 3 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: no one
    Recommended to Darlene by: bookrooster dot com
    Um, I wish I hadn't read the beginning of the next book. That really changed how I thought about this book. Instead of a people struggling to renew life it is going the way of demons. Ugh.

The book was male heavy and females were relegated secondary jobs. It was violence heavy, funny, who would have expected that with the above observation? Yes, that was snarky.

So, um, I'm glad to be finished reading this book and will not be reading the next. This was a complimentary copy via BookRooster dot com
    Kathy
    I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my review. I must say that I really loved this book and hope there will be more to come like this! The characters are interesting and the story is great, and not what I expected (that's a good thing!). The idea of children coming together to create a "normal" after all the adults have died by some mysterious plague works (contrary to what other reviewers have said). Even the character of Catherine works, although the Christian ideas ar ...more
    Ljlangston
    It was a good premise, but it was slow and hard to like the characters. 2.5 stars.
    Gina George
    I enjoyed several things about this book. I liked the fact that multiple character perspectives were used, and that a good number were morally ambiguous. I liked the fact that there were no love triangles. I did not like what I felt was a sudden shift from YA dystopia to a cross between The Stand and Left Behind. This took me completely by surprise. If you enjoy more of a religious bent to your post-apocalyptic futures, you will be more likely enjoy this book.
    Gapeach
    Was a little worried about this one because I had just been burned by another book I felt was similar. However this one was awesome. I fell for the characters right off (that is always the best for me)loved them, hated the appropriate ones etc. Could not put it down, finished it in a day because I could not wait to see what would happen next! Exactly why I will be buying the next in the series for my kindle right after I post this!
    Emily
    I gave up on this book halfway through. It just got to be too unbelievable and I didn't care enough about the characters to suspend my disbelief.
    Mandi Fief

I can't make up my mind about this book. Do I like it? Should I rate it 3 or 4 stars? Truth is, this book was ok. I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters. I was a little upset with the ending, thinking "I read this just for it to end this way?" I don't know if I'll read the next book...
    Bryn
    Predictable. next
    Emily
    I liked it alot. I love books about survival, espeshaly when its a bunch of kids! The biblical take kinda made me go "Meh" though...
    Dee
    This was an amazing book. It kept me guessing the whole way through. I can't wait for the next installment.
    Laura Beth
    This was a really good story, but would have like to have the ending fleshed out a bit more.
    Molly Elena Cantor
    adsolutely the best book i have read in a very long time!
    Susan
    I really enjoyed this book. Couldn't put down.
    T. Jackson
    Ok. It didn't have the "wow" I was hoping for.
    Samantha
    Good but didnt bother with the second
    Penny
    more please.
    Sheila
    Really enjoyed!
    Kimber Burnett
    Kimber Burnett marked it as to-read
    Oct 29, 2014
    • The Burn (The Burn, #1)
    • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
    • State of Pursuit (Collapse Series #4)
    • Contagious Chaos (The Contagium, #3)
    • Induction (Time of Death, #1)
    • HELPER12
    • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
    • State of Decay: Part One
    • Dead Surge (White Flag of the Dead #5)
    • The Judas Syndrome (The Judas Syndrome, #1)
    • Z-Burbia: A Zombie Novel
    • Blood Ocean
    • The Inferior (The Bone World Trilogy, #1)
    • The Mesmerized
    • Melt Down (Breakers, #2)
    • The Horde Without End (The World Without End, #2)
    • Breaking News: An Autozombiography
    • Dead Tropics
    Ted Hill grew up in the front pew of the Methodist church in Denton, Texas where he honed his scribbling skills on the church bulletin. He peaked as a senior in high school when he became Class President, Homecoming King, All-District Offensive Tackle, and Class Clown. He also failed Spanish II and Geometry, but graduated because of football credits. Ted then took his talents to Bethany College in ...more
    More about Ted Hill...
    Hungry Independents (Independents #2) Savage Independents (Book 3) Startwithxml: Making the Case for Applying XML to a Publishing Workflow: Making the Case for Applying XML to a Publishing Workflow Startwithxml: Making the Case for Applying XML to a Publishing Workflow