Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)

Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Nearly two decades ago, Jean-Luc Picard took command of the U.S.S. Enterprise™ NCC-1701-D. The captain knew it was an honor without equal. His new command bore the name of Enterprise. The people who had commanded other like-named starships had gone down in Starfleet's annals. Some officers would be intimidated, but they would not have been given command of Enterprise.

On...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 25th 2007)

James Williams
When I was growing up, I read more than any kid in my classes: and it was almost entirely licensed fiction: Star Trek and Star Wars mostly. Even today, I still maintain quite the collection of these books, even though I rarely indulge.

These days, I prefer more original works (though I still happily do most of my reading in the speculative fiction genres). The limitations of licensed novels are both stifling and well known: the individual author has no power to grow or change the main characters...more
Brian
The author (Keith R. A. DeCandido) has to be the most talented writer in the Star Trek bullpen when it comes to dialog. The man can make almost any conversation about anything reasonably interesting and I've enjoyed his writing in the past. With Q & A, Keith attempts to tie together all of Q's appearances throughout the various shows in an attempt to put some greater purpose behind his interest in the humans and Jean Luc in particular.

While the answer is interesting - and the particular thin...more
Stephanie
I like Star Trek books but I do not read many of them and Janice and I have not bought very many in the last few years. In fact, had she not been Tuckerized in this one, we probably would not have bought it. Having said that, however, I am glad we did. It is a fun romp with Q (I assume you guessed that from the title) and the scattered crew of the Enterprise E.

If you want to know what it means to be Tuckerized, drop me an email and I will explain.

The story is about the impending end of the unive...more
Jen
Jul 15, 2008 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Tim
Shelves: science-fiction
I really adore Q, so I had high hopes for this story. Unfortunately, though, he is written in a very unlikeable way, and I found him annoying and lacking in his trademark wit. Also, the author's attempt to connect every single one of Q's appearances on all of the Trek shows into one cohesive plot was far too ambitious, and so fell pretty flat.

For such an ambitious plot, there was an awful lot of filler: whole chapters introducing random characters from across the galaxy for no purpose other than...more
BooksAndTea
I guess it might be just me, but DeCandido is a terrible writer. I've read another one of his works, "Articles of the Federation" and had trouble getting through that one as well. At first I had assumed that he had been trying to emulate the show 'The West Wing' in novel form and it just didn't work. Now I'm pretty sure it's just his writing. The book started off promisingly but I never felt any attachment to any of the characters and felt the author tried to put in far too many scenarios--he ne...more
Christian
Nov 05, 2007 Christian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know what Q was really up to ...
Mr. DeCandido does a great job melding many of Q's previous appearances (as well as keeping track of everything else going on in the Trek Novelverse) into a story where Picard destroys the universe.

Warning: If you're not familiar with Next Generation Trek, forget it, you may be able to follow the book some but you'll be missing out on plenty.

And that warning is really the big problem of the book: it grabs so much history that in the end ... nothing new happens. At all. Events happen a certain wa...more
Luke
Q & A picks up pretty much directly after the events of Resistance and follows the Enterprise E and her crew on a mission to survey an out-of-the-way planet

On arrival, not all is as it seems, but before the crew can make any discoveries, Q arrives on the scene back to his old antics of tormenting Picard and his crew

Or is there something more at play?

Q & A explores the deeper meaning behind Q's supposedly childish pranks and torments and pieces them all together into a greater puzzle.......more
Mi
I was in a Trek sort of a mood so I just chose this one at random out of a few my friend had given me. Didn't even read the description, beyond assuming it would have something to do with Q. WELL. It's set post "Nemesis," which is a movie I prefer to pretend never happened. At first I was just "Lalala, still pretending it didn't happen but reading anyway" but no, a fair amount of the book is dealing with post-Nemesis things so it was basically impossible. That said! If you like Q at all, even in...more
Patrick Hayes
You're not going to enjoy this book unless you've seen A LOT of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. Cut to the chase, after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis, the Enterprise-E and it's, mostly, new crew encounters something odd on a planet. This "occerence" is also effecting other parts of all the other universes. If there's been a supporting character in Trek that's had a spin-off book, or series, that character appears in this novel. It's a very tidy weaving of EVERY Q appearance from ever...more
Jimyanni
I've never really been a fan of Q, even though John DeLancie did an excellent job of creating the character; for one thing, he did an excellent job of creating a character that was insufferable, and for another, the concept of a character with his power and that personality being even moderately interested in the doings of humans (much less the doings of one specific human, Picard, hardly the most fascinating of all humans) has always struck me as seriously implausible.

Nonetheless, this book man...more
John Kirk
Q is a fun character, but I don't think this story really added anything to books like Q Squared. The characterisation is pretty solid, including the new characters. The only iffy bit was when Worf reflected that he'd only ever been happy on the Enterprise; what about his marriage to Jadzia? Still, I realise that the author is constrained by what happened in "Nemesis". Overall, an entertaining way to spend a few hours, but nothing particularly significant.
Sio
Fairly decent novel, although it did take quite a while to get to the point of what was going on. All the "guest appearances" tended to make the book drag along a bit too much at times. Q, though, is always amusing, and I enjoyed more of a pay off on the Picard/Crusher relationship after having not too long ago finished "Death in Winter." I did find the repeating of some of the scenes near the end threw me off a bit at first since I didn't realize what he was doing until I noticed a difference i...more
Roger Mccoy
As good as Resistance was bad. As with Resistance, the plot is paper-thin (the important moments of the book probably would've fit in about 25-30 pages), but it's a great deal of fun to read, and it rewards familiarity with Next Generation, Voyager, and to a lesser extent the other novels in the Pocket Books series (although said familiarity is not required by any means). DeCandido captures the voices of the characters perfectly, and while the story doesn't have much to it, it's a great deal of...more
Christopher Obert
If you are a fan of Star Trek, this book is the ultimate “Q” saga. Not only does this book tie together all of the Star Trek Q TV episodes, it expands them into one grand story. Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise have been harassed by Q since they first encountered him during their mission to Farpoint. But that was then and this is now: new crew, new ship and a new adventure but with a far more serious Q.
Amanda
I was very underwhelmed by this book. In fact, I was debating if I was actually going to finish it, or if I was going to look for a plot synopsis and move on to the next one. However, by page 200 (of about 300) things started to pick up and I mostly enjoyed the rest. I can't decide if the premise was interesting and it just didn't execute well, or if the premise was flawed from the get-go.
Michael Crisefi
Q.

One simple letter, a name that evokes feelings of trepidation and dread in any Starfleet captain.

He's back. And he wants to bug Jean-Luc yet again.

DeCandido does a wonderful job tying certain parts of Next Generation Q lore together (including some of the Q novels) and brings Q to life inside.
Daniel Kukwa
It tries hard to be both a hilarious and profound follow-up to the events Picard went through during TNG's final televised episode. Its reach occasionally exceeds its grasp, but it remains a pleasant & amusing diversion of a novel...and is far less smug and sanctimonious than it could have been.
Athena Braun
Anything with Q is very entertaining!! This book is after Data dies & Will & Deanna transfer to the Titan. Beverly and Jean Luc get together, Picard has some new faces onboard, Admiral Janeway makes an appearance & Q uses Picard to save the universe:)
Cameron
Just needed a book that I could turn my brain off and enjoy. This was a fun read but you do have to know some back stories, an episode of SNG and even know what SNG means (Start trek, Next Generation) ha ha. I like it, it did the job for me.
Tyler Volz
Not bad, but not memorable either. I truthfully only read it less than a year ago and barely remember anything about it. I do remember the ending felt extremely rushed. I know KRAD can do better than this.
Jarrod
And one Q to connect them all.

Two New Crew Members.

Every Q appearance in ties together as the Enterprise faces a mystery that could mean disaster for the entire universe!
Shannon J.
Good book, addressed the real reason Q has been messing with the Federation and PIcard. Good characters too. I think KRAD has a real gift for characterization in general.
Randy Wiggins
This was a fun novel to read though not as funny as I was hoping. It had a more serious tone that a Q story usually takes. A great read all around though.
Richard
For a Star Trek book, this is very good. Reminiscent of an above average episode of the TV show. It's not a classic, but it's fun.
Melissa
I think this one has been my favorite of the Relaunch books so far. The entire series has been excellent, however.
Debra Cook
This was okay but it was a copy of Encounter at Farpoint and All Good Things. I might recommend.
Peanut
Love Q but this was a little over the top. Too much thrown into one book.
Kirstin
more formulaic than I was expecting.
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • A Time to Die
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Star Trek: Voyager: Unworthy
  • A Time to Love (Star Trek)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #4)
Serenity Nevermore (Supernatural, #1) Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1) Bone Key (Supernatural, #3) Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4)