Start by marking “Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)” as Want to Read:
Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)

Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Nearly two decades ago, Jean-Luc Picard took command of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D. The captain knew it was an honor without equal. His new command bore the name of Enterprise. The people who had commanded other like-named starships had gone down in Starfleet's annals. Some officers would be intimidated, but they would not have been given command of Enterprise.

On h
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Q & A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Q & A

James Williams
When I was growing up, I read more than any kid in my classes: and it was almost entirely licensed fiction: Star Trek and Star Wars mostly. Even today, I still maintain quite the collection of these books, even though I rarely indulge.

These days, I prefer more original works (though I still happily do most of my reading in the speculative fiction genres). The limitations of licensed novels are both stifling and well known: the individual author has no power to grow or change the main characters
John Cipolla
Library book acquired on 2/25/2016. So far its a lot of intertwining stuff we already knew with new stuff. Seeing the new dynamics of the crew in different positions is cool. Q made a mistake giving Riker the Q powers instead of Picard. Nothing new yet. So far all rehash stuff.
John
May 23, 2017 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Next up on the post-Nemesis litverse reading list was Q&A, a book by the same guy who wrote the novel Articles of the Federation, which I found to be a travesty. That being the first book by DeCandido that I've read, my first impression was, needless to say, not so good.
But as I read Q&A, something happened that rather surprised me. I found myself enjoying the novel. It is an intriguing blend of a light-hearted adventure with serious undertones, and features enjoyable dialogue with one
Cornerofmadness
Bookworm
Feb 03, 2013 Bookworm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I guess it might be just me, but DeCandido is a terrible writer. I've read another one of his works, "Articles of the Federation" and had trouble getting through that one as well. At first I had assumed that he had been trying to emulate the show 'The West Wing' in novel form and it just didn't work. Now I'm pretty sure it's just his writing. The book started off promisingly but I never felt any attachment to any of the characters and felt the author tried to put in far too many scenarios--he ne ...more
Brian
Feb 07, 2012 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author (Keith R. A. DeCandido) has to be the most talented writer in the Star Trek bullpen when it comes to dialog. The man can make almost any conversation about anything reasonably interesting and I've enjoyed his writing in the past. With Q & A, Keith attempts to tie together all of Q's appearances throughout the various shows in an attempt to put some greater purpose behind his interest in the humans and Jean Luc in particular.

While the answer is interesting - and the particular thin
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 Maurice Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those of us who have followed the show and wondered why Q kept bothering Picard and the Enterprise and wondered why he did the things he did, this is book is a must read. All the answers are here.

On a simple survey mission, Captain Picard thought the most difficult challenge he faced was to integrate his new command crew. Commander Miranda Kadohata is Data's handpicked replacement to succeed him as science officer/ops, and Lieutenant Zelik Leybenzon is Worf's choice for security chief.

Their
Jen
Jul 14, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Tim
Shelves: science-fiction
I really adore Q, so I had high hopes for this story. Unfortunately, though, he is written in a very unlikeable way, and I found him annoying and lacking in his trademark wit. Also, the author's attempt to connect every single one of Q's appearances on all of the Trek shows into one cohesive plot was far too ambitious, and so fell pretty flat.

For such an ambitious plot, there was an awful lot of filler: whole chapters introducing random characters from across the galaxy for no purpose other than
Christian
Oct 30, 2007 Christian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know what Q was really up to ...
Mr. DeCandido does a great job melding many of Q's previous appearances (as well as keeping track of everything else going on in the Trek Novelverse) into a story where Picard destroys the universe.

Warning: If you're not familiar with Next Generation Trek, forget it, you may be able to follow the book some but you'll be missing out on plenty.

And that warning is really the big problem of the book: it grabs so much history that in the end ... nothing new happens. At all. Events happen a certain wa
Stephanie
Nov 20, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Star Trek books but I do not read many of them and Janice and I have not bought very many in the last few years. In fact, had she not been Tuckerized in this one, we probably would not have bought it. Having said that, however, I am glad we did. It is a fun romp with Q (I assume you guessed that from the title) and the scattered crew of the Enterprise E.

If you want to know what it means to be Tuckerized, drop me an email and I will explain.

The story is about the impending end of the unive
Elizabeth Perez
I really enjoyed this book until the last ten percent or so because it got a little confusing and it just fell a little flat for me. I did enjoy this though. There were many sweet parts where Data was mentioned and some hilarious parts with Q.

"Q rolled his eyes. "Here is comes. It amazes me that Vulcans even managed space travel, given how much time they've wasted on being pedantic." He grinned. "Of course, they developed space travel before they became boring, which probably explains it. Ah, th
Patrick Hayes
Jul 02, 2012 Patrick Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You're not going to enjoy this book unless you've seen A LOT of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. Cut to the chase, after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis, the Enterprise-E and it's, mostly, new crew encounters something odd on a planet. This "occerence" is also effecting other parts of all the other universes. If there's been a supporting character in Trek that's had a spin-off book, or series, that character appears in this novel. It's a very tidy weaving of EVERY Q appearance from ever ...more
Luke
Apr 05, 2013 Luke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Q & A picks up pretty much directly after the events of Resistance and follows the Enterprise E and her crew on a mission to survey an out-of-the-way planet

On arrival, not all is as it seems, but before the crew can make any discoveries, Q arrives on the scene back to his old antics of tormenting Picard and his crew

Or is there something more at play?

Q & A explores the deeper meaning behind Q's supposedly childish pranks and torments and pieces them all together into a greater puzzle....
Derek Moreland
Mi
May 23, 2013 Mi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in a Trek sort of a mood so I just chose this one at random out of a few my friend had given me. Didn't even read the description, beyond assuming it would have something to do with Q. WELL. It's set post "Nemesis," which is a movie I prefer to pretend never happened. At first I was just "Lalala, still pretending it didn't happen but reading anyway" but no, a fair amount of the book is dealing with post-Nemesis things so it was basically impossible. That said! If you like Q at all, even in ...more
Jimyanni
Jul 31, 2012 Jimyanni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I've never really been a fan of Q, even though John DeLancie did an excellent job of creating the character; for one thing, he did an excellent job of creating a character that was insufferable, and for another, the concept of a character with his power and that personality being even moderately interested in the doings of humans (much less the doings of one specific human, Picard, hardly the most fascinating of all humans) has always struck me as seriously implausible.

Nonetheless, this book man
Rich Meyer
This Trek relaunch novel makes up for the travesty of "Resistance." And manages to make some sense and resolve some issues with the many appearances of the being known as Q over the years. Q once again embroils Jean-Luc Picard (and Worf) in a universe-spanning prank or plan, and many questions are answered. And, not to spoil anything, the story continues on without any magical resurrections (I had feared that a major character might come back as a reward or a threat, but nope).

This was a tale ri
Roger McCoy
Jun 21, 2011 Roger McCoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good as Resistance was bad. As with Resistance, the plot is paper-thin (the important moments of the book probably would've fit in about 25-30 pages), but it's a great deal of fun to read, and it rewards familiarity with Next Generation, Voyager, and to a lesser extent the other novels in the Pocket Books series (although said familiarity is not required by any means). DeCandido captures the voices of the characters perfectly, and while the story doesn't have much to it, it's a great deal of ...more
John Kirk
Jul 31, 2011 John Kirk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Q is a fun character, but I don't think this story really added anything to books like Q Squared. The characterisation is pretty solid, including the new characters. The only iffy bit was when Worf reflected that he'd only ever been happy on the Enterprise; what about his marriage to Jadzia? Still, I realise that the author is constrained by what happened in "Nemesis". Overall, an entertaining way to spend a few hours, but nothing particularly significant.
Sio
Dec 07, 2009 Sio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly decent novel, although it did take quite a while to get to the point of what was going on. All the "guest appearances" tended to make the book drag along a bit too much at times. Q, though, is always amusing, and I enjoyed more of a pay off on the Picard/Crusher relationship after having not too long ago finished "Death in Winter." I did find the repeating of some of the scenes near the end threw me off a bit at first since I didn't realize what he was doing until I noticed a difference i ...more
Christopher Obert
Apr 07, 2013 Christopher Obert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
If you are a fan of Star Trek, this book is the ultimate “Q” saga. Not only does this book tie together all of the Star Trek Q TV episodes, it expands them into one grand story. Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise have been harassed by Q since they first encountered him during their mission to Farpoint. But that was then and this is now: new crew, new ship and a new adventure but with a far more serious Q.
Angela
Jun 21, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Q visits the Enterprise again, to help them stop the universe dying. What I really liked about this book is that it gives reasons for every one of his appearances on the TV shows, and it actually makes a lot of sense. It is all about Q trying to save the universe, and I like the bits were he is arguing with other Q's. Worf shines in this novel, as he becomes used to being first officer. Geordi is still getting used to the death of Data. A really good read.
Aron
Sep 28, 2014 Aron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Q is definitely not my favorite villain/savior but he's not my least favorite either. All in all this is just a fun & easy short read that (no offense to the author) is on a slightly lower reading level than say something like David Mack or Diane Duane would write. But no doubt the author intended as much & i think he wrote a pretty entertaining story that Trek fans will enjoy.
Michael
Oct 02, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Q.

One simple letter, a name that evokes feelings of trepidation and dread in any Starfleet captain.

He's back. And he wants to bug Jean-Luc yet again.

DeCandido does a wonderful job tying certain parts of Next Generation Q lore together (including some of the Q novels) and brings Q to life inside.
Andi
I was very underwhelmed by this book. In fact, I was debating if I was actually going to finish it, or if I was going to look for a plot synopsis and move on to the next one. However, by page 200 (of about 300) things started to pick up and I mostly enjoyed the rest. I can't decide if the premise was interesting and it just didn't execute well, or if the premise was flawed from the get-go.
Tyler Volz
Not bad, but not memorable either. I truthfully only read it less than a year ago and barely remember anything about it. I do remember the ending felt extremely rushed. I know KRAD can do better than this.
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 05, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
It tries hard to be both a hilarious and profound follow-up to the events Picard went through during TNG's final televised episode. Its reach occasionally exceeds its grasp, but it remains a pleasant & amusing diversion of a novel...and is far less smug and sanctimonious than it could have been.
Jana Denardo
Proof you can love the characters and universe and still have it come out flat as three day old soda. There are a lot of good ideas in this but somehow it ends up a bit plodding without the vivaciousness I usually associate with Q.
Cameron
Just needed a book that I could turn my brain off and enjoy. This was a fun read but you do have to know some back stories, an episode of SNG and even know what SNG means (Start trek, Next Generation) ha ha. I like it, it did the job for me.
omiczech
Nov 09, 2015 omiczech rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This book tries to portrait Q as a rational being with higher motives. Author created a storyline connecting and explaining everything Q ever did. He didn't try too hard, so you either buy it, or not. The story is overwhelmed with references to events from shows and movies.
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • A Time to Die
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #4)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)