Start by marking “Soviet Posters: The Sergo Grigorian Collection” as Want to Read:
Soviet Posters: The Sergo Grigorian Collection

Soviet Posters: The Sergo Grigorian Collection

This massive book of Soviet propaganda posters, many rare and never before published, is at once a revealing historical document and a sublime example of graphic art at its best. Dating from 1917 to the beginning of the Cold War, the posters in this book feature the work of such major Russian ground-breaking avant-garde designers as El Lissitzky and Alexander Rodchenko as ...more
Published May 25th 2007 by Prestel Publishing (first published May 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Soviet Posters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soviet Posters

Tim Pendry

An excellent collection of Soviet era posters that adds serious value to any text-based study of a distinctive culture that lasted a mere three quarters of a century (though it survives in part in China) but which history will tell us produced art and artefacts of lasting significance.

The presentation is chronological. This is useful because you can see a clear trajectory of the experiment from revolutionary fervor to the undoubted sclerosis of the Brezhnev era - the last truly impressive poster
Vivian
May 18, 2017 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: ncku-lib
This book and other in the same series (Chinese Posters: The Iish-Landsberger Collections ) share the same style. There are so little information about each poster or the political / economy situation during the time each poster was produced. Unless you are familiar with Soviet/China history, these posters only provide some very basic idea.
Ellen A.
Jun 01, 2014 Ellen A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: russian-history
This is a great collection of Soviet propaganda posters spanning from 1918 to the 1980s. I don't know of another major work on this topic. The picture captions are printed sideways, parallel to the outward side margin of the page, which can be a bit annoying to get used to. There is a short introduction and further information about the posters in the back of the book (artist's name, translations of posters with long texts). This book could have benefitted if a bit more background information wa ...more
Jeffrey
May 24, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Wonderful collection on rare Soviet propaganda posters from the 20s to 60s. Fantastic content but unfortunately very light on context - it's presented like an art exhibit rather than a real book.

I still give it four stars because of the wonderful art collected here, but unless you know Russian history already you'll only be able to see the fascinating graphic design and not the intellectual and political context to this art which to me is more interesting.
Taruia
Jul 24, 2011 Taruia rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-photography, left
The problem with bookshops/giftshops in Art Gallerys is that they are stupidly expensive. So, I was in Brisbane years ago and wandered absent mindedly throuigh the bookshop where I came across this little beauty. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The book contains nice reproductions of soviet era propaganda posters and is well worth finding a copy.
Colette
It's all pictures, so I cheated.
James
Jul 25, 2007 James rated it liked it
the ones about how good citizens clean their messy rooms are especially enjoyable
Renee
Aug 29, 2008 Renee rated it liked it
great collection, organised chronologically for easy use but the translations often leave out much of the poster's text.
Nickstarfield
Apr 04, 2009 Nickstarfield rated it really liked it
This is a really good collection of Soviet propaganda posters. One gets the feel of history seeing these posters which have a unique artistic style.
Bob Hartley
May 31, 2012 Bob Hartley rated it really liked it
I spend ages trying to pronounce the Russian because I once looked up how to read Russian when I was eighteen. I end up staring at these images for hours.
Asdeghik
Asdeghik rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Miklos1001
Miklos1001 rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2016
Panos Anagnostopoulos
Panos Anagnostopoulos rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Chaz
Chaz rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2007
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2010
abookreader
abookreader rated it really liked it
May 01, 2017
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Anette
Anette rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Clara
Clara rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
George
George rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
May 26, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Madelyn
Madelyn rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Jeff Hopkins
Jeff Hopkins rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Anne Cross
Anne Cross rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2009
Merijn
Merijn rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Ricardo
Ricardo rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2009
C
C rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2008