Start by marking “Soviet Posters: The Sergo Grigorian Collection” as Want to Read:
Soviet Posters: The Sergo Grigorian Collection

Soviet Posters: The Sergo Grigorian Collection

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This massive book of Soviet propaganda posters, many rare and never before published, is at once a revealing historical document and a sublime example of graphic art at its best. Dating from 1917 to the beginning of the Cold War, the posters in this book feature the work of such major Russian ground-breaking avant-garde designers as El Lissitzky and Alexander Rodchenko as ...more
Published May 25th 2007 by Prestel Publishing (first published May 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Soviet Posters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soviet Posters

Ellen A.
This is a great collection of Soviet propaganda posters spanning from 1918 to the 1980s. I don't know of another major work on this topic. The picture captions are printed sideways, parallel to the outward side margin of the page, which can be a bit annoying to get used to. There is a short introduction and further information about the posters in the back of the book (artist's name, translations of posters with long texts). This book could have benefitted if a bit more background information wa ...more
Jeffrey
Wonderful collection on rare Soviet propaganda posters from the 20s to 60s. Fantastic content but unfortunately very light on context - it's presented like an art exhibit rather than a real book.

I still give it four stars because of the wonderful art collected here, but unless you know Russian history already you'll only be able to see the fascinating graphic design and not the intellectual and political context to this art which to me is more interesting.
Taruia
The problem with bookshops/giftshops in Art Gallerys is that they are stupidly expensive. So, I was in Brisbane years ago and wandered absent mindedly throuigh the bookshop where I came across this little beauty. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The book contains nice reproductions of soviet era propaganda posters and is well worth finding a copy.
Bob Hartley
I spend ages trying to pronounce the Russian because I once looked up how to read Russian when I was eighteen. I end up staring at these images for hours.
Nickstarfield
This is a really good collection of Soviet propaganda posters. One gets the feel of history seeing these posters which have a unique artistic style.
Renee
great collection, organised chronologically for easy use but the translations often leave out much of the poster's text.
James
the ones about how good citizens clean their messy rooms are especially enjoyable
Colette
It's all pictures, so I cheated.
Vartan Balassanian
Vartan Balassanian marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Michele Ganev
Michele Ganev marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Risko
Risko marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Scott
Scott added it
Oct 05, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013