Start by marking “Reunion” as Want to Read:
Reunion

Reunion

Finalist, 2012 ForeWord Book of the Year Awards

From a small French city to a park outside the neon glitz of Tokyo, and beyond, these interconnected stories follow the adventures of Brian, Ondrej, Yuji, Jason, and others as they navigate the tumultuous path of life and love.

Featuring: Shin-Kiba Park (Pushcart Prize nominee; from Gival Press's ArLiJo) Nagasaki (Dana Award
Published May 18th 2012 by MLR Press

To ask other readers questions about Reunion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reunion

Ilhem
Jun 15, 2013 Ilhem rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, sid-love
3,5 stars

When I was a student, I used to sit outside of a café with my friends (oooh, bad students!) and play at “grasping humanity”. The rule was to make a cup of coffee last as long as possible, to focus on passersby and feel as consciously as possible the fact that each anonymous face and silhouette was well and truly a being whose uniqueness crossed paths with ours for the blink of an eye, or longer if we chose to intervene. It might sound like a “duh” moment, but it was vertiginous, just li
Irina
Jan 31, 2015 Irina rated it really liked it
“I just want to be needed,” he might tell them all. “That pretty much sums it up.”

This book has reminded me of my first anime "5 centimeters per second" - it has similar structure and feel, and just as poignant and thought-provoking.

It consists of short stories with different protagonists but each one of them was connected to another at some point in their lives. We are told their short POVs and shown what impact they've had on the others in that passing moment.

The writing is beautiful
Sofia
Jan 25, 2015 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars

Brennessel writes people, real fragile people, not the macho beautiful types who have everything hanging just right, who know just what to do, just what to say. No just us with all our hang ups, doubts, wins, losses, fucks ups etc. The kind of people I connected to because some instances were mirror like.

This is not a linear story, we get scenes from different people at different times, people who connect or try to connect with other people to form some type of whole. Shadows, each with our th
Edmond Manning
Nov 12, 2012 Edmond Manning rated it it was amazing
When you read a good short story, you glimpse character's lives and realize there's so much about them you will never know. When you read a *great* short story, you long to know more about them beyond the limited pages. When you read a *FANTASTIC* short story, you miss these characters before their tale concludes.

I missed these characters before their tales concluded.

I miss shabby Kevin from the story, Reunion. I want to know if Joel from The Curtain Wall will grow up okay. What about Don from
Kazza
Feb 11, 2014 Kazza rated it it was amazing
Review to come in a few days.
Vespasian
Nov 01, 2011 Vespasian rated it it was amazing
"Nagasaki" is by far one of the most poignant stories I've read in a very long time.

"Marco Polo" is devastatingly beautiful.

Brennessel is a strong writer.
Ryanst
Sep 13, 2011 Ryanst rated it it was amazing
I'll add my kudos to the story Nagasaki that's been mentioned here. Brilliant.

I was gripped by Marble Arch. I really Didn't know where that one was headed. The character of Don swirled around in my head for a long time after I finished the story.
Mariana
May 21, 2012 Mariana rated it liked it
Steve
Steve rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Aug 10, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2012 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Brafe
Brafe rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Mary Parker
Mary Parker rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Haazelalles
Haazelalles rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2011
Allain
Allain added it
Jan 07, 2012
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2012
Jaime Boler
Jaime Boler marked it as to-read
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
Shahrun
Shahrun marked it as to-read
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Karen Siddall
Karen Siddall marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2012
Kazimiera pendrey
Kazimiera pendrey marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2012
Ashley Hillyer
Ashley Hillyer marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2012
Tj
Tj marked it as to-read
May 17, 2012
Passant
Passant marked it as to-read
Cole Riann
Cole Riann marked it as to-read
MLE
MLE marked it as to-read
Sigrun
Sigrun added it
May 20, 2012
Guadalupe
Guadalupe marked it as to-read
May 21, 2012
Jenny Franklin
Jenny Franklin marked it as to-read
May 23, 2012
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Rose Cimarron
Rose Cimarron marked it as to-read
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 26, 2012
Mad & Nat
Mad & Nat marked it as to-read
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2012
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 29, 2012
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 30, 2012
When Barry’s first collection of stories was read aloud by his second grade teacher, the author hid. As the years flew by, he wrote more, hid less (not really), and branched out to Super 8 films and cassette tape recorders. Barry’s audience—consisting solely of friends and family—were both amused and bemused.

Since those childhood days, Barry has earned degrees in English and French from the State
More about Barry Brennessel...

“I am yours, too,” I whispered back, and those several minutes were the happiest in my life, eclipsing everything that came before and everything that has come after.” 2 likes
“The Ondřej feeling swept over him. The very thing he tried to explain to Sheila over the phone from France. The feeling that drove him to fly to Japan. You fall too fast, Brian Caleb. Please don’t be a pathetic idiot again. You be careful. His logical side screamed at him as he walked over to Jason and helped him down from the examination table.” 1 likes