Start by marking “Lips Touch: Three Times” as Want to Read:
Lips Touch: Three Times

Lips Touch: Three Times

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  9,669 Ratings  ·  1,765 Reviews
A girl who’s always been in the shadows finds herself pursued by the unbelievably attractive new boy at school, who may or may not be the death of her. Another girl grows up mute because of a curse placed on her by a vindictive spirit, and later must decide whether to utter her first words to the boy she loves and risk killing everyone who hears her if the curse is real. A ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lips Touch, please sign up.

Sigour It's about unusual human beings, tangled in the folk and myths Old Worlders grew up being told. There are short stories, beautifully written and…moreIt's about unusual human beings, tangled in the folk and myths Old Worlders grew up being told. There are short stories, beautifully written and filled very unique characters (the friends and the foes as well). This stories are worth more time than the amount of it that it would take you to read them.(less)

Jul 09, 2011 Tatiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love fairy tales and gorgeous writing
Recommended to Tatiana by: ALA's 10 Best for 2010
As seen on The Readventurer

I am familiar with YA literature enough to know how horribly, horribly wrong a collection of short stories about kissing can go (see, for example, The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire and Kisses from Hell). Let me tell you, "Lips Touch" is not that kind of book. This book is simply magical.

Laini Taylor grabs your attention with the first lines:

There is a certain kind of girl the goblins crave. You could walk across a high school campus and point them
i was not expecting to five-star this. i must confess - i hate the title and i hate the cover art (although i love the internal illustrations)

aren't those much better?? something about the color palette on the cover is upsetting, the covergirl looks vapid and whorish, and the title makes it seem like some teen heartthrob novel, which is it not. what it is is a sequence of three fairy tale-ish stories.

the first one is my favorite, and this one is a first-love story, so what? a frustrated girl fr
Emily May
May 17, 2015 Emily May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who miss the days when authors wanted to be artists, not millionaires
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana

Beautiful words, beautiful stories, beautiful characters... you know, this is just one damn beautiful book. I am in awe of it. Can you fall in love with a book? If so, I'm guilty. I don't mean to sound condescending to young adult readers (I am one) but this book simply does not deserve the readership that thought Twilight was the best book ever written.

Everything about the marketing and presentation of this book does not convey how truly wonderful it is. Firstly, though the cover illustration
This can also be seen at The Book Eater

I truly feel like anything I say couldn't do this book justice.
So, in my endeavor to describe my *cough* "feelings", I made a pie chart (I love pie charts).

This book was was amazing. Well-written. Gorgeous, gorgeous writing. Touching characters. I just... I loved it. Every story was better than the last. Enchanting, horrifying, beautiful and captivating. The way Taylor writes... Again, I don't know what to say. She pulls you into the universe she created
Kat Kennedy
Oct 15, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with the capacity for beauty and romance, pain and loss.
To those of you who haven't read this book, what are you doing right now? If your answer is anything other than "Purchasing this book and getting ready to read it" then I'm afraid that you and I might just have to come to some kind of disagreement.

There is something enchantingly, alluringly fantastic about this book. From it's beautifully written stories to the amazing drawings and the characters within. This book is like a beautiful, wild romani woman with her ankle bracelets, bare feet and twi

Laini Taylor is a master of crafting darkly gorgeous and deliciously unique tales with all sorts of unearthly creatures. Each story featured strong heroines with very different personalities, and the same goes for the men they touch lips with.

As usual, it was hard to get into her very flowery and descriptive writing, but nevertheless I enjoyed Lips Touch: Three Times as a whole.

Goblin Fruit: (4 stars)

Laini Taylor works magic with this story. I mean, who else can create such beautiful, ee
Boy howdy! Where did this goddess of words with the pink hair come from? I am not usually a big fan of the short story, but I do declare, I will read anything this literary seductress writes, even her stroked out grocery list, so send them on down, and I will eat them up.

Why oh why, would I, with my meagre abilities, even try, to persuade you to read these stories, each of which involve a kiss, when Laini herself awards us a brief glimpse of what is to come.

Goblin Fruit (my favourite)

There is a
Jul 31, 2011 Sparrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda
Recommended to Sparrow by: Thomas Tomato
When you want to take a story that someone else has told and make it your own, do it like this. If you want to write a story, recognize your own magic, your own style, and add it to the story you want to steal. If you want to write a story, do what Laini Taylor did, and absorb the story, wait until it has seeped into the interstitial places of your writing, and give it back to your reader. Make it beautiful and true. And the only way you can do that is by figuring out what to you is beauty and t ...more
Aug 30, 2011 Lora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib-read
Three stories. Three girls. One thing in common: each lady has not been kissed. And their first taste of that special time when lips touch won't come without a price . . .

The wife and husband team of Laini Taylor and Jim Di Bartolo sure do make for a sumptuous collection of stories. I'd be hard-pressed to choose which is more beautiful: Taylor's writing or Di Bartolo's illustrations.

Let me give you samples of each:

"With a deep, visceral ache, she wished her true form might prove to be a sleek an
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Hubby... just put the NFL network on, he'll forget I'm alive.
Kids.... they can fend for themselves.
laundry, soaking wet in the washing machine... I'll wash it twice, no one will ever know.
Dishes.... that is what paper plates are for.

I initially read around 35 pages and knew I had something special. I planned on finishing story #1 and that was it. Like a magic spell, I picked up the book and not only finished the other stories but did not move my ass at all from my little corner on the coach. My
I read the first story in Lips Touch about two months ago. It was... interesting. The writing was great, very picturesque, but the story per se didn't meet the expectations I had set for it after reading all the rave reviews on Goodreads. So I put the book aside for a while and finally picked it up yesterday when I was sitting in my new workplace with nothing else to do. I was Blown. Away.

Reading Lips Touch is like peeling an orange. At first, you break the skin, and you can feel the soft pulp u
Anna *no longer in use*
Look at this quote:

Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I've been hearing lots of awesome things about Lips Touch: Three Times. And while it did not overly blow me away, it did not disappoint me either. There is something magical about the way Laini Taylor weaves her words into these three short stories. No doubt about that. Lips Touch: Three Times can best be described as a 3 course meal. Goblin Fruit can be likened to an appetizer: small and simple. It's not enough to calm your hunger, but enough to pique your interest for t
The term this book brings to mind is "wickedly delicious."

It is the literary embodiment of my body's reaction to this gif:

I originally put this off because I didn't feel like reading short stories that didn't have enough time to build a love for the characters or plot.

Oh how wrong I was. This was absolutely extraordinary. Laini Taylor is a mind-blowingly good writer with an insanely fantastic imagination. Each story (there are three as you may have guessed from the title) are vivid cr

Laini Taylor can string words together like pearls, her paragraphs glittering like diamonds on black velvet. She builds landscapes out of the ether and births characters of blood and solidity. When I read her I am a woman possessed -- consumed, enchanted and enthralled. I am a child, gripped by a child's wonder and insatiable hunger for stories. I am in love with this woman and her pink hair and beautiful, crazy mind (where I would live if it were only possible).

What kills me is that some of th
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
Goblin Fruit-3.5/5 stars. I enjoyed it because of course it was beautifully written and magical, but nothing here felt special.

Spicy Little Curses Such As These- 5/5 stars. This story grabbed me from the beginning and had a fairy tale aura. Felt rather tragic.

Hatchling- 5/5 stars. This one could be a book of its own. Such an imaginative, dark, intriguing story.

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of short stories. But I'm thinking Laini Taylor can do no wrong.

Also, gorgeous artwork.

Basically, any
Here’s a little synopsis of my thoughts as I listened to the first story:

…Remembering that fairy tales weren’t always about feisty princesses living happily ever after….

…Remembering that half of the time what they were about is “encouraging” teenage girls to keep it in their pants OR ELSE. Boo. On second thought, I want the princesses back.

…Hoping that this is heading in a different direction….

…Damn. If that’s all this is about then why am I reading it? Sure it’s gorgeous, but I could just be re
I only read the first of the 3 supernatural tales in this book--"Goblin Fruit." (And I apologize to those who enjoyed it!)

The mood is heavy with superstition, slaughter and blood and flesh and titillation. In case grandma's trusty knife isn't enough, the element of danger is further highlighted by several appearances of the word rape, unsubtly used, for example, when peacocks in the farmyard don't screech or caw--they scream "rape."

The story is driven by the theme of lust despite (or heightene
Lips Touch could have been close to 4 stars, but the last story was unfortunately a shape-shifter/ werewolf story, and my hate specifically for werewolfs made me dislike the story. I tried. But I'm incapable of erasing my deep distaste when it comes to people turning into scary dogs. I ended up skimming the last story when I failed to get into it. The other two stories were very captivating and the writing is wonderful.
I would definitely recommend Lips Touch.
Vane J.
This book was a beautiful surprise. Everything was beautiful in it. Writing, characters, plot... everything. All three stories—Goblin Fruit, Spicy Little Curses Such As These and Hatchling—in this pretty book were wonderful. I'm in love with it.

The three stories involved a kiss—hence the title—that would mean something important (in a soul level) to the kisser.

The first one—Goblin Fruit—is the shortest of the three. It's about how Goblin men lure young girls. A long time ago, they did it by offe
Sep 14, 2011 Mariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I don't want to live like this
Recommended to Mariel by: Jareth in his tights said it would be fun
I read the horoscope. It said that you would meet a tall and handsome stranger. Avoid all yellow fruits and scarves are for nooses to hang in an ever after. Lips should be colored artificially. Don't get red lips from kissing lots of the wrong boys and blue lips from the cold. It's l-o-v-e red. Maybelline makes it. She's born with it, of course. Don't look in the mirror. You might not be drop dead gorgeous and have to go on living. No invitations to the ballet in the mail this week... I'm a libr ...more
Jul 17, 2011 Limonessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit, fantasy
I've been eager to read Laini Taylor for a while now, after reading more than gushing reviews about her books here on GoodReads.
Now that I'm done I have to confess that while on the one hand she did not disappoint, on the other I didn't fall in love with this book.

I knew next to nothing about this book before starting it, only that it was a collection of three short stories and that the leit motif is kissing.
What I didn't know is that the author, in this collection, has taken various elements o
Alicia O'Carrick

Kissing can ruin lives. Lips touch, sometimes teeth clash. New hunger is born with a throb and caution falls away. A cursed girl with lips still moist from her first kiss might feel suddenly wild, like a little monsoon. She might forget her curse just long enough to get careless and let it come true. She might kill everyone she loves.

She might, and she might not.

Laini Taylor and I have a sad history. I read Daughter of Smoke and Bone last year, and while at first it was magnificent, eventuall
Jul 23, 2015 Vippi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laini Taylor's fans

~Buddy (re-)read with Gio~

The Hatchling: 5/5

“Is that all souls are for? For when we die?"
"No. They're for living, too.”

This novella is the longest of the trio. And I adore it (it's even better this second time around because... well, because now I know).
The synopsis just gives you a hint of the plot, that is more intricate (and intriguing) that you can imagine.
The Hatchling tells a story lost in the coils of time, reveals a secret drowned in the foggy memories of the soulless Druj.
At first
Nov 14, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
“This is the story of the curse and the kiss, the demon and the girl. It's a love story with dancing and death in it, and singing and souls and shadows reeled out on kite strings.”

Laini Taylor has the rare talent to create magic with simple words. Her writing captivates the reader and it doesn't let go.
While reading her works I always feel like I am reading old, long-forgotten legends or reading about parallel worlds.
Her stories are never just books. They are never a simple read. The stori
Marlin Elina
May 05, 2016 Marlin Elina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
5 stars, because Laini Taylor. Highly recommend if you're looking for a whimsical, beautiful fantasy/mythical standalone to read in between books.
Lips Touch Three Times is a compilation of three novellas written by Laini Taylor and illustrated by her husband, Jim DiBartolo. The novellas defy a neat and easy categorization. The main female character in each book is a young adult, a young teenage girl. Each novella takes place in an urban locale but shortly in to the text there is a breakaway to an other world. The novellas are fantastical, fantasy and fairy tale based, but also rooted in the modern urban world. I think I should disclose up ...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
We all know Laini Taylor can write, especially with that gorgeous prose from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series. After all the 4 and 5 star ratings from friends on Goodreads, I had to pick this one up when I saw it at the library, especially after seeing the completely gorgeous illustrations inside. Each of the stories prelude with these atmospheric, beautiful paintings which tell snippets of the story to follow.

Lips Touch: Three Times shares three dark stories with us, of varying degrees of
Dec 09, 2015 Lexie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Laini Fairytalor is the unprecedented genius of beautiful writing and imaginative storytelling. If one day I discovered she's a deity or she inexplicably turns into a, say, giant eagle... I won't be all that surprised. There's a truly otherworldly quality to these stories and there's a truly otherworldly quality to Laini, and I'll never grow tired of praising both.
Oct 22, 2011 Simeon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book, writing and art; three modern fairy tales that culminate in a single kiss.

2015 Reading Chal...: Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor 1 8 Mar 19, 2015 10:53PM
YouTube Book Revi...: Giveaway - Laini Taylor - Lips Touch 1 38 Oct 18, 2014 12:23AM
Shut Up & Read: Lips Touch, Three Times by Laini Taylor 52 59 Jun 13, 2013 08:41AM
Shut Up & Read: Lips touch: three times by Lani Taylor 24 89 Jun 03, 2013 11:09AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Lips Touch by Laini Taylor 1 2 Sep 29, 2012 09:37AM
Kindle vs. Real Book 1 53 Apr 21, 2012 05:19PM
  • Red Spikes
  • Chime
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)
  • Plain Kate
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Pretty Monsters: Stories
  • Preloved
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • The Color of Rain
  • Keturah and Lord Death
  • The Lost Conspiracy
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus War, #0.5)
  • Guardian of the Dead
Hi there! I'm a writer of fantasy books for young people, but my books can be enjoyed by adults as well. My 'Dreamdark' books, Blackbringer (2007) and Silksinger (2009) are about faeries -- not dainty little flowery things, but warrior-faeries who battle devils. My first young adult book, Lips Touch, is a finalist for the 2009 National Book Award! It's creepy, sensual supernatural romance. . . abo ...more
More about Laini Taylor...

“Kizzy wanted to be a woman who would dive off the prow of a sailboat into the sea, who would fall back in a tangle of sheets, laughing, and who could dance a tango, lazily stroke a leopard with her bare foot, freeze an enemy's blood with her eyes, make promises she couldn't possibly keep, and then shift the world to keep them. She wanted to write memoirs and autograph them at a tiny bookshop in Rome, with a line of admirers snaking down a pink-lit alley. She wanted to make love on a balcony, ruin someone, trade in esoteric knowledge, watch strangers as coolly as a cat. She wanted to be inscrutable, have a drink named after her, a love song written for her, and a handsome adventurer's small airplane, champagne-christened Kizzy, which would vanish one day in a windstorm in Arabia so that she would have to mount a rescue operation involving camels, and wear an indigo veil against the stinging sand, just like the nomads.
Kizzy wanted.”
“There are other ways of showing someone you love them, such as fetching them out of Hell.” 127 likes