Start by marking “Copy This!: Lessons from a Hyperactive Dyslexic who Turned a Bright Idea Into One of America's Best Companies” as Want to Read:

Bill Moyers said this about Paul Orfalea after reading Copy This!: "If I could live my life over again, I would sit at his feet and listen to everything he has to say." And David Brancaccio, host of NOW on PBS, wrote: "As the host for a decade of a daily business program, I had to read what seemed like every business book published in the English language. It is, therefore ...more
Paperback
Published March 30th 2007 by Workman Publishing Company (first published July 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Copy This!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Copy This!

Trisha
Jan 25, 2015 Trisha rated it really liked it
Interesting ideas in business and in life. The story flows somewhat chronologically, but is mostly conveyed in thought/lesson sections, so it was hard at times to figure out where the business was at the point of the story. On the other hand, it was nice to have a specific theme and hear the examples as they applied to his business experiences. I got such a mixed view of Paul. It seemed like he really did a great job making the best of the difficulties in learning he had, but then he got to his ...more
Rob Warner
Apr 14, 2012 Rob Warner rated it really liked it
I read this based on a coworker's recommendation, and I wasn't disappointed. It's entertaining and an easy read, and provides insight into Kinko's and its founder (Paul Orfalea). Orfalea is dyslexic, bombed at school, built a tremendous business, and made a ton of money. His approaches and philosophy defy conventional business wisdom, but it's hard to argue with results. As you read it, you'll gain insights into ways you can change what you're doing to be more successful.

I think FedEx chose poor
Doug Mitchell
Nov 08, 2016 Doug Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Book about Copies is a True Original

Copy This!
By Paul Orfalea and Ann Marsh
Workman Publishing, 2005
$23.95

Not often does the autobiography of a modern business icon make you laugh while reading one page, force you to think about serious educational policy on the next and make brash pronouncements about how to succeed in business on the following.. “Copy This!”, the charming autobiography of Kinko’s founder Paul Orfalea (OR-fah-la), does just that.

Unlike too many books by successful business lea
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Really great timing when I read this book.....I was feeling a bit out of sorts and questioning my business decision making ability when I popped the CD's in on a long drive to Paso Robles.
OMG! This is such an affirmative book. The author 'failed' in school, but was able to succeed in college (USC) AND start Kinko's at the same time! He had many disadvantages which, it turns out, carried with them silver linings of talents in business and relating to people! Just what the doctor ordered!
The res
bruinmark
Oct 14, 2010 bruinmark rated it it was ok
I was intrigued by Orfalea when I read that his dyslexia forced him to rely on others and made him a better manager. Orfalea is certainly charmingly unconventional, but his book is disappointing in that it conveys little of practical use to managers except for a few truisms such as trusting your partners and relentlessly focusing on customers. And like many business success stories, the rise of Kinko's has a "right place, right time" aspect: with huge growth in the 80s and 90s, someone was going ...more
SouthWestZippy
Jan 15, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
WOW fascinating man. Here is a excerpt that think will help explain were he is coming form with his laid back approach to business. "Humor is a diversionary tool many kids with earning opportunities employ to subvert authority. Many dyslexics grow up with a strong distaste for authority. Our earliest experiences with teachers and parents as authority figures are usually pretty negative. That certainly was the case with me, as it was several of my cousins and business partners who are also dyslex ...more
Rohan
Jun 08, 2012 Rohan rated it liked it
Shelves: entrepreneurship
Going by the Cover, this book sounded like a fascinating story about a person who even with all his shortcomings and disadvantages managed to become what he did. And for most part, this book is fascinating. There are lot of good things to take from Paul's life but there is lot of advice and views given by Mr.Orfalea which I personally cannot relate to and thus cannot agree with. I believe in 'taking the best and leaving the rest' policy when it comes to reading books. But one thing that was evid ...more
Gil Bradshaw
Aug 19, 2007 Gil Bradshaw rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: The Business Minded
I thought this book was great--his description of ADD/ADHD was pretty good. He was also really honest about his flaws and very descriptive of how they hindered him and how he could overcome them. In my historical training, this is unusual for an autobiography.

It was interesting to hear about how his business started and how it became enormous.

The rest of the story is that the merger between FedEx and Kinko's isn't working all that well because they can't just get the culture that Kinko's had.
Leading Edge Organizers (LEO)
Aug 26, 2007 Leading Edge Organizers (LEO) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, people with learning disabilities
Shelves: entrepreneurial
What I liked about this book: Emphasis on how important vacations are; how disabilities/learning differences can have positive aspects to them; hearing his story of how he grew his business; the comparison of business to poker and Monopoly and the lessons learned from that; the idea that he was never around the shop--always out promoting.

What I did not like: How the employees chanted the Kinkos mission statement- gave me the creeps; he could be very explosive and blunt with people; a little too
Benson
Nov 08, 2016 Benson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Probably the best book ever to illustrate that a child deemed doomed for failure by academics and teachers can go on and accomplish amazing things. As a child his mother was told by adults at his school that her child could *maybe* amount to holding a job carpeting floors. Great story of a mom who knew better and worked with her kid to show them who was boss.
Marie
From what I can remember from this book, it was an interesting story about the evolution of Kinko's. Orfalea has ADHD and dyslexia, yet he started the world's most ubiquitous reprographics companies. It was a quick, easy read. He could be a bit dictatorial and temperamental in running his company, but it was interesting...
Ronica
Jan 20, 2010 Ronica rated it it was amazing
This book is great inspiration, business style reference, and investment advice all in one! I think this book should especially be listened to by anyone with dyslexia. My son is definitely getting a copy from me!
Gerald Curtis
Oct 15, 2014 Gerald Curtis rated it liked it
I enjoyed this interesting biography about Paul Orfalea and the Kinkos industry that he created, but it did grow a bit tedious and repetious at times.

I'm glad I read it and learned about this significant part of American commerce.
Jorge E.
Aug 21, 2013 Jorge E. rated it it was amazing
Really interesting story of how he managed his business and how he had to deal with his learning opportunities. I like how talks about his lack of reading forced him to come up with his own view of things as well as trust his intuition.
Velvetink
Jul 09, 2015 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
library gen
Bibliophile
Sep 13, 2008 Bibliophile rated it really liked it
Engaging story about a dyslexic kid who grows up to start a business...Kinko's.
Vicki Hill
Jan 13, 2016 Vicki Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i, own, business
this is one of my "collection" of business books. My son, the business major, received copies of my entire collection. I thought he should read the "out of the box" way to do business
David
Jan 02, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Best business book out there. Unconventional advice, but the most common-sense.
Rosie Bernardo
Apr 04, 2009 Rosie Bernardo rated it it was amazing
If you are an entreprenuer you MUST read this book. It is easy to read and really teaches you about how to manage your business. It's funny too and uplifting. I highly recommend this book!
Bryan J Harris
Nov 30, 2011 Bryan J Harris rated it it was amazing

Great motivation and advice from a good friend and unconventional success
Jaqui
Mar 31, 2015 Jaqui rated it really liked it
I enjoyed learning about Pauls struggles and how they were compensated. I will never look at Kinkos the same way again.
Bob Nebel
Sep 08, 2012 Bob Nebel rated it really liked it
Had a blast reading this and interviewing the author: http://raintaxi.com/online/2005fall/o...

Marin
Jul 01, 2007 Marin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the title of this book looks interesting to you, you'll probably really like this book. If not, you probably won't.
Merlin
Apr 07, 2008 Merlin rated it really liked it
Listened to this on audiobook.
Beth
Feb 09, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book telling the story of Orfalea's failure in school vs success in business. Funny that now his favorite place to be is in the classroom....
Ev
Sep 05, 2009 Ev rated it it was amazing
awesome read check it out. Love the fact he is a free thinker and overcame a learning disability,
Rommel C. Caibal
Rommel C. Caibal rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2012
Cassie Patt
Cassie Patt rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2009
Chris Pearson
Chris Pearson rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Bond: Three Young Men Learn to Forgive and Reconnect with Their Fathers
  • The Gorilla Game: Picking Winners in High Technology
  • 12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today
  • My Start-Up Life: What a (Very) Young CEO Learned on His Journey Through Silicon Valley
  • Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit, and the Era of Predatory Lenders
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • The Homeschooling Book of Answers: The 101 Most Important Questions Answered by Homeschooling's Most Respected Voices
  • Homeschooling: The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 13- to 18- Year-Old
  • The Meritocracy Myth
  • Three Who Made a Revolution: A Biographical History of Lenin, Trotsky & Stalin
  • Step Out on Nothing: How Faith and Family Helped Me Conquer Life's Challenges
  • Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy
  • Rabble-Rouser for Peace: The Authorized Biography of Desmond Tutu
  • Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds
  • The Velocity of Honey: And More Science of Everyday Life
  • Broke, USA: From Pawnshops to Poverty, Inc. - How the Working Poor Became Big Business
  • The Business of Software: What Every Manager, Programmer, and Entrepreneur Must Know to Thrive and Survive in Good Times and Bad
  • Too Heavy a Load: Black Women in Defense of Themselves, 1894-1994

“Happy wife, happy life.” 24 likes
“Accountants are in the past, managers are in the present, and leaders are in the future.” 12 likes