Copy This!: Lessons from a Hyperactive Dyslexic who Turned a Bright Idea Into One of America's Best Companies

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Bill Moyers said this about Paul Orfalea after reading Copy This!: "If I could live my life over again, I would sit at his feet and listen to everything he has to say." And David Brancaccio, host of NOW on PBS, wrote: "As the host for a decade of a daily business program, I had to read what seemed like every business book published in the English language. It is, therefore...more
Paperback
Published March 30th 2007 by Workman Publishing Company (first published July 11th 2005)

Rob Warner
I read this based on a coworker's recommendation, and I wasn't disappointed. It's entertaining and an easy read, and provides insight into Kinko's and its founder (Paul Orfalea). Orfalea is dyslexic, bombed at school, built a tremendous business, and made a ton of money. His approaches and philosophy defy conventional business wisdom, but it's hard to argue with results. As you read it, you'll gain insights into ways you can change what you're doing to be more successful.

I think FedEx chose poor...more
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Really great timing when I read this book.....I was feeling a bit out of sorts and questioning my business decision making ability when I popped the CD's in on a long drive to Paso Robles.
OMG! This is such an affirmative book. The author 'failed' in school, but was able to succeed in college (USC) AND start Kinko's at the same time! He had many disadvantages which, it turns out, carried with them silver linings of talents in business and relating to people! Just what the doctor ordered!
The res...more
bruinmark
I was intrigued by Orfalea when I read that his dyslexia forced him to rely on others and made him a better manager. Orfalea is certainly charmingly unconventional, but his book is disappointing in that it conveys little of practical use to managers except for a few truisms such as trusting your partners and relentlessly focusing on customers. And like many business success stories, the rise of Kinko's has a "right place, right time" aspect: with huge growth in the 80s and 90s, someone was going...more
Rohan
Going by the Cover, this book sounded like a fascinating story about a person who even with all his shortcomings and disadvantages managed to become what he did. And for most part, this book is fascinating. There are lot of good things to take from Paul's life but there is lot of advice and views given by Mr.Orfalea which I personally cannot relate to and thus cannot agree with. I believe in 'taking the best and leaving the rest' policy when it comes to reading books. But one thing that was evid...more
Leading Edge Organizers (LEO)
Aug 26, 2007 Leading Edge Organizers (LEO) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, people with learning disabilities
Shelves: entrepreneurial
What I liked about this book: Emphasis on how important vacations are; how disabilities/learning differences can have positive aspects to them; hearing his story of how he grew his business; the comparison of business to poker and Monopoly and the lessons learned from that; the idea that he was never around the shop--always out promoting.

What I did not like: How the employees chanted the Kinkos mission statement- gave me the creeps; he could be very explosive and blunt with people; a little too...more
Gil
Aug 19, 2007 Gil rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The Business Minded
I thought this book was great--his description of ADD/ADHD was pretty good. He was also really honest about his flaws and very descriptive of how they hindered him and how he could overcome them. In my historical training, this is unusual for an autobiography.

It was interesting to hear about how his business started and how it became enormous.

The rest of the story is that the merger between FedEx and Kinko's isn't working all that well because they can't just get the culture that Kinko's had.
Marie
From what I can remember from this book, it was an interesting story about the evolution of Kinko's. Orfalea has ADHD and dyslexia, yet he started the world's most ubiquitous reprographics companies. It was a quick, easy read. He could be a bit dictatorial and temperamental in running his company, but it was interesting...
Jorge E.
Really interesting story of how he managed his business and how he had to deal with his learning opportunities. I like how talks about his lack of reading forced him to come up with his own view of things as well as trust his intuition.
Ronica
This book is great inspiration, business style reference, and investment advice all in one! I think this book should especially be listened to by anyone with dyslexia. My son is definitely getting a copy from me!
Rosie Bernardo
If you are an entreprenuer you MUST read this book. It is easy to read and really teaches you about how to manage your business. It's funny too and uplifting. I highly recommend this book!
Beth
A very interesting book telling the story of Orfalea's failure in school vs success in business. Funny that now his favorite place to be is in the classroom....
Marin
If the title of this book looks interesting to you, you'll probably really like this book. If not, you probably won't.
Bob Nebel
Had a blast reading this and interviewing the author: http://raintaxi.com/online/2005fall/o...

Ev
awesome read check it out. Love the fact he is a free thinker and overcame a learning disability,
Bryan J Harris

Great motivation and advice from a good friend and unconventional success
David
Best business book out there. Unconventional advice, but the most common-sense.
Bibliophile
Engaging story about a dyslexic kid who grows up to start a business...Kinko's.
Merlin
Listened to this on audiobook.
Tarek
Tarek added it
Jul 17, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Carol McDonald
Carol McDonald marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Eric Rickey
Eric Rickey marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Two Billion Dollars In Nickels: Reflections On The Entrepreneurial Life Two Billion Dollars in Nickels - Reflections on the Entrepreneurial Life Copy This!: Lessons from a Hyperactive Dyslexic Who Turned a Brights Idea Into One of America's Best Companies The Entrepreneurial Investor: The Art, Science, and Business of Value Investing The Entrepreneurial Investor: The Art, Science, and Business of Value Investing

“Happy wife, happy life.” 21 likes