Start by marking “Scarlet (Scarlet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet (Scarlet, #1)

Scarlet (Scarlet #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  14,731 ratings  ·  2,096 reviews
Will Scarlet is good at two things: stealing from the rich and keeping secrets - skills that are in high demand in Robin Hood's band of thieves, who protect the people of Nottingham from the evil sheriff. Scarlet's biggest secret of all is one only Robin and his men know...that she is posing as a thief; that the slip of a boy who is fast with sharp knives is really a girl. ...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet, please sign up.

Miss Swan Hello! I just finished Scarlet today, and I loved it! Robin Hood is possibly my favorite historical hero to read about. I would recommend Maid Marian…moreHello! I just finished Scarlet today, and I loved it! Robin Hood is possibly my favorite historical hero to read about. I would recommend Maid Marian by Elsa Watson as a great Robin Hood read... I haven't re-read it in some time, but I remember liking it a lot. :)(less)

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)

This is an alternate retelling of Robin Hood, where Will Scarlet is a hemorrhoidal pain in the ass who talks like a Monty Python and the Holy Grail cast reject that gets involved in a horrifyingly painful love triangle WITH ROBIN HOOD AND LITTLE JOHN.

There are two facts about Will Scarlet that you should know before starting this book.

1. Will Scarlet is actually a "she," a girl disguised as a boy

2. The "Scarlet" in her name refers to the fact that SHE CAN'T STOP FUCKING BLUSHING*

*That's actually
Claire
I don't know about anyone else but when I think of Robin Hood I think of this:
description
Wait, I'm the only one who pictured him like that? Huh. Blame my childhood.
Anyway, when I first started reading this book I admittedly imagined Robin Hood as being pretty hot. Like a total fox. (GET IT?!)
Granted, the Robin Hood in this story was not the main character. Rather, the main character was a young woman who everyone knew as Scarlet. Her identity is mysterious and only a few people know that she's secretly a
Soumi
Scarlet is wrenching and moving story of love and friendship, bravery and loyalty, a retelling of the legend of Robin Hood, only the voice of narration was Scarlet. Yes Will Scarlet, the most skilled knife- handling young fellow of Robin, in the traditional tales, famous for his hot temper. But he’s not actually what we think he is. He’s no lad; he’s a lass; a girl hiding her true identity in men’s cloth.

description

Being a part of the merry men, Scarlet was always successful to hide the truth from rest of
Ferdy

A retelling of Robin Hood where Will Scarlet, a member of Robin's band is a actually girl in disguise.
-The storyline didn't really entertain me, it was boring and the real action only really kicked in towards the end.
-The narrative was strange, it was part present tense and part past tense, I couldn't get my head around it.
-The British-isms and British slang didn't read right AT ALL, it felt forced and it made me cringe at how hard it tried to sound authentically British.
-The love trian
Duckie
This is the first time I've read a version of the Robin Hood story where I wanted the sheriff to win. Flimsy characters, clunky writing and gaping plot holes mangle what otherwise might have been a decent YA novel.

The narrative is in Scarlet's voice but it's pretty hard to tell what that is, exactly. It's vaguely British and vaguely working-class but is rooted in neither Yorkshire nor London, where she claims to be from at different points in the novel. Like the plot, it also shows up when it fe
Kimberly Sabatini
OMG!!!! I loved this book. I'm going to start this review by announcing something that I NEVER expected to say (John--if you're reading this you should close your eyes and skip ahead) ROBIN HOOD IS MY NEW BOYFRIEND!!!! There, it's out in the open. Phew--I feel better now. I know that once you read this--you're going to want him too--but just remember I said it first and this post is time-stamped. But don't worry, you don't have to be turned away empty handed--Rob's band of Merry Men are pretty d ...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
(Actual Rating: 3.5 stars)

"We do what we do because there's something we can do about it. Things like 'how long' and 'what if' aren't part of that. It's about the hope, not the horror."

Scarlet, 2012 debut novel fromA.C. Gaughen, takes the legends and characters associated with Robin Hood and spins them all into an engrossing story focusing on a secretive thief who's much more than meets the eye. The people of Nottinghamshire know the thief as Will Scarlet, knife-wielding companion to Robin Hood,
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*Re-read for tomoorrrroowwwww!!*

His hands came on either side of my face, holding me up to him. Waves were crashing in his eyes, sure and strong and sweeping. "You are my whole heart, Scarlet. And this is breaking it."

I don't know. I don't know how I came across this or why it spoke to me...but it did. Even today I am still giddy and weightless when I think about this book. How amazing is it when you find something that, while it seems intriguing, doesn't necessarily scream, 'You will love me'
Alienor ☠ is stuck on the Jellicoe Road ☠

Take a badass female lead who knows how to throw a knife and whose snarky inner comments made me laugh - but who blushes way too much for no reasons.

Give her a good shake : there's hope for her in the sequel, I hope, I know it.

She only has to let go of her split personality and I'll truly appreciate her.

Just sayin'.

Take a fantastic past earl who becomes the archetype of the broody but selfless hero - you know, Robin Hood, who made my heart beat like crazy thanks to his full awesomeness annn
Angie
I don't usually give star ratings for novels anymore, simply because I know how much soul goes into creating and publishing a book. But with SCARLET, I couldn't NOT give this debut 5 whopping stars. This is the BEST novel I've read in a very very long time. It had me completely sucked in from chapter one, and I didn't want it to end when the last page crept up.
Scarlet is a fabulously complex girl. I loved her so much--strong and independent, with demons in her past and a fearful secret revolvin
Angie
Okay. You are all familiar with my . . . what's the word . . . thing . . . for thieves. And Robin is perhaps the thief I've loved the longest. So it should come as no surprise when I say that I was filled with glee when I first heard about A. C. Gaughen's upcoming retelling--SCARLET. I liked the cover and, without running down too many spoilery details, I looked forward to the focus on Will Scarlet and the fact that it hailed from a debut author. All of these things add up to that most wonderful ...more
Teryna90
The first thing that came to mind as soon as I figured out this was about Robin Hood's band was the Robin Hood song that the italian cartoon singer Cristina D'avena sang, here's the link if you'd like to listen to it, it's really adorable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVdXx....

description
I grew up with Robin Hood's cartoons and soon fell in love with all the movies and the stories... and when I found out that one of my fav author had actually wrotten Robin Hood, not only did I feel stupid but also e
Trisha Wolfe
Oh, this so my kind of story. A stubborn, brash, get-out-of-my-way-and-let-me-do-my-thing lead character, who is flawed realistically, yet fierce, brave and determined—Scarlet is a strong lead who had me rooting for her the whole time. The only girl among Robin Hood’s band of thieves, she hides away, playing the role of a young boy, while her past is steadily sneaking up on her in the form of a Thief Taker named Lord Gisbourne.Though she doesn't let that hold her back from trying to help the cit ...more
Fenia
OMG FLAWLESS BOOK. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! Since childhood i always had an attachment with the story of Robin Hood. and it always felt close to home. And then i read this. and WOW. BRILLIANT TWIST.

Scarlet is such an amazing character. so strong and badass. reading her thoughts made me feel badass. Rob..OH MY GOD. GIVE ME MY ROB!!! We should all get a Rob!!! JUST UGHHH I LOVE HIMMMM!!! :P *crazy eyes* . Much,he's an adorable little puppy and smart. John..well when he's not trying to ruin my ship
Diana (Mrs. Barrons)
I am a sucker for a good historical retelling, and a strong heroine to be honest, and this book had everything I was looking for.

Scarlet is a member of Robin Hood's band of thieves. Few outside the group know that she's a girl, as she disguises herself as Will Scarlet. In the legends and movies of past Robin Hoods, Will was often considered Robin's best friend, and was always played by the cutest, dorkiest boys. In case you need a reminder:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
Photobucket

Robin Hood: Men in
Maria
aaaaaaaah where is the sequel ???? oh yeah on my e Reader! goodbye friends ! i have to continue! soooo freaking good I can't even!
rob and scar just woow *_*
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen is the newest Robin Hood retelling. Y’all, I love the story of Robin Hood and I was extremely excited to pick this book up. I am happy to tell you that Scarlet more than lived up to my expectations! It has a comfortable spot on the list of best fantasy books I’ve ever read.

In Scarlet, the main character is a well known Robin Hood character re-imagined as a girl. She is fierce and loyal – such a fantastic character. But she definitely has some skeletons in her closet that
Anne Osterlund
Scar. That’s what the boys call her: Rob and Little John and Much. They respect her. Know she’s good with a knife and she can steal anything. And she knows Nottingham prison better than the mark on her face.

But Scar doesn’t want them to know everything. They don’t need to know about Joanna. Or why Scarlet can’t keep down a solid meal. Or how she wound up thieving on the streets of London.

Then Guy of Gisbourne arrives in Nottingham on a mission--a mission the sheriff and boys and the townsfolk al
Ellis
This review originally appeared on Finding Bliss in Books.

Scarlet is one of those books that come with a lot of hype. It is also one of those books I was only mildly interested in. Whenever I saw someone gushing about it, I adopted an "eh, we'll see, maybe one day" attitude. That person? Don't listen to her. She is wrong. Luckily, Meg realised just how wrong the way I was living my life was and sent me a copy. I'm always in for a Red Riding Hood retelling, so I moved it up on the TBR pile. Then
Steph Sinclair
A feminine twist on one of my favorite stories ever, Robin Hood?! Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes!
Susan
I opened this book, and after reading the dialect, I thought, "Huh...I'm not sure I'll be able to read this..." Then, three pages later, I was so sucked into the story, I stopped noticing the dialect. All I saw was Scarlet's VOICE--and let me tell you, she has one. A powerful, compelling, stubborn-as-hell voice that fits every impulsive, disgruntled course of action she chooses.

To be honest, impulsive MCs are pretty common (erm...my own...::coughcough::), but Scarlet is easily the most convincin
Joy
Recently a friend introduced me to the term "Mary Sue" or "Gary Stu" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
I wasn't sure what that meant until I read Scarlet. A female character a "Mary Sue" or male "Gary Stu" is an impossible character. They can do no wrong, everyone loves them, everyone needs them, they know everything and can do it all better than anyone.
I'm a Robin Hood fan. I thought the idea behind Scarlet was promising. A different take on the legend. Will Scarlet actually being a female,
Rachel E. Carter
Loved. It's funny because I think I was more invested in the action than romance in this one, but there still isn't anything I would change. Reminded me of the way Moira Young writes, only a different setting. Will definitely be reading its sequel.
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
What a RIDE!!! I LOVED A.C. Gaughen's twist of the tale of Robin Hood!!

I could not get enough of the fierce, loyal, and equally deadly Scarlet! She really was as badass as they come!! I LOVED HER!!

4 Stars

SCARLET was an awesome retelling of ROBIN HOOD!! I loved the twist that A.C. Gaughen put on the ROBIN HOOD classic! She spun the original ROBIN HOOD tale, with her own freshly imaginative twist, that brings a whole new world of characters, obstacles and adventure!

I loved that the drama, ac
Maiya
I bound into this book with high hopes of adventure, action and suspense. Sadly I got a bummer. Sure there was action and adventure, but there was also deep emotional woes of poor Scarlet from her past that seemed to clog the books meaning of the whole 'Robin Hood' adventures, and made it more of depressing soap opera.
It seemed that Robin Hood's gang all evolved around Scarlet, and not the poor impoverished people of Nottinghamshire that they were 'supposed' to help out. It was Scarlet who fi
Jen
Mar 07, 2015 Jen added it
Not entirely my kind of historical fiction (too high a ratio of fighting as opposed to romance, political intrigue and girly stuff like gowns and balls) but I was definitely drawn in -- it's impossible not to root for Scarlet and Rob and John and Much.

Looking forward to the next installment!
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Smiley
First let me just say that I am a huge fan of the Robin Hood Legend. As a kid I watched the Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman movie about 15 times more then most people would call healthy. So when I saw there was a book out that had a twist on the same old story – Will Scarlet is a girl in disguise!!! I was beyond excited.

But then it turned out to be just so BAD!!

Here’s why-
Let me paint a picture of Scarlet for you - Imagine that chick from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon who can fly through trees
Pixie
Hold onto your tights, everyone! Scarlet is going to be one of the must reads of 2012!

In all fairness, this is coming from someone that could never get into the whole Robin Hood scene, too. Sure, I enjoyed the legendary story that was taught to me as a child about the infamous thief and his merry men. I enjoyed it for its lessons and the characters, and the history. But through the years, I practically grew to despise every film and story retelling/remake because I just thought it was outdated
Regan
4.5/5 I really enjoyed the character Scarlet.

The story was very intriguing, and I am not going to lie I am a sucker for retellings (Robin Hood). It was a quick and easy read, with a strong kick ass female leading the show. Plus, Rob was not so bad either ;)
Amber (Books of Amber)
Well, wasn’t this book just sunshine and rainbows? Scarlet is a widely popular book in the book community, which is the reason I put it on my wishlist in the first place. I was dying to read it because it’s a Robin Hood retelling and I totally had a crush on that fox when I was younger. But if you’ve been following me on Twitter for the past couple of weeks, you’ll know that I bloody hated this book.

Or, rather, I hated every single character apart from Scarlet and Much. Especially Robin. Fucking
Any books similar to this? 18 164 Mar 20, 2015 10:20PM
Young Adult Histo...: Scarlet - May 2013 2 22 May 05, 2013 07:03PM
  • The Traitor in the Tunnel
  • Gilt
  • The Wicked and the Just
  • Robin: Lady of Legend (The Classic Adventures of the Girl Who Became Robin Hood)
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • Harbinger
  • A Breath of Eyre (Unbound, #1)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Dark Unwinding (The Dark Unwinding, #1)
  • Shadows on the Moon
  • Vessel
  • Tiger Lily
  • Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1)
  • Katana (Katana, #1)
  • The Gathering Storm (Katerina, #1)
  • Secret Letters
I am shamelessly addicted to staying up far too late (it feels like stealing time), diet coke (it burns so good), Scotland (stupid country stole my heart and won't give it back. Interpol has been ineffective for prosecution) and thieves (so I guess I'm not that mad at Scotland).

Want to know more? Just ask!
More about A.C. Gaughen...

Scarlet (3 books)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2) Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3) Terra (The Elementae, #1)

“You are my whole heart, Scarlet. And this is breaking it.'

My heart cracked open and clear dropped out of me. My mouth opened, and I looked round me and stamped my foot. 'Does this look like a good time to tell me that, you damn stupid boy?' I meant to sound mean but my voice wobbled. 'Now?'

He gave a little smile. 'My foul-mouthed warrior.”
186 likes
“I know what it's like when you can't get no one to listen to you. When what you say don't matter. I half think every girl knows what it's like to be silenced.” 158 likes