The Pink Lady: The Many Lives of Helen Gahagan Douglas

The Pink Lady: The Many Lives of Helen Gahagan Douglas

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Acclaimed author Sally Denton brings to life every dimension of the extraordinary Helen Gahagan Douglas in The Pink Lady, a compelling account of Douglas's incomparable life as stage star, politician, and public intellectual. A three-term congresswoman who ran for the U.S. Senate against Richard Nixon just thirty years after women gained the right to vote, Douglas was also...more
Published February 28th 2012 by Bloomsbury Press (first published 2009)

Obisbooks
Partly my "really liking it" is because I've always had a hard time with biography. But this was easy to read, short so I didn't feel overwhelmed.

And I enjoyed learning about Helen Gahagan Douglas, she was an interesting woman and she achieved a lot at a time when it wasn't "womanly" to be involved in politics.
Louise
I picked it up due to its interesting subject. I should have known from the title, a reference to the slur placed on this very accomplished woman, that it would be a breezy effort. The level seemed to be appropriate for high school students, but it does not provide enough context for them, or others with no experience of this period or its immediate aftermath, to understand the passion behind the issues.

With a book this size, I did not expect more than a once over lightly, but the research needs...more
Herb
This is a well-researched, concise life of the former actress, activist, singer and congresswoman, known more so today, probably, for the smear campaign waged against her by then congressman Richard Nixon. A victim of the infamous McCarthy witch hunts of the 1940's and '50's, the author does a good job of telling the salient points of Mrs. Douglas's life. It's a good read.
Annirose
Annirose marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Vampis
Vampis marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Sarah Elder
Sarah Elder marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Leigh Koonce
Leigh Koonce marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Chalaina
Chalaina marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Marv Gunning
Marv Gunning marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Benjy
Benjy added it
May 07, 2012
Arlene Lenzo
Arlene Lenzo marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2012
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2012
Jacqueline
Jacqueline is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2011
The Bluegrass Conspiracy: An Inside Story of Power, Greed, Drugs and Murder American Massacre: The Tragedy at Mountain Meadows, September 1857 Faith and Betrayal: A Pioneer Woman's Passage in the American West The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America The Plots Against the President: FDR, A Nation in Crisis, and the Rise of the American Right