Start by marking “Double Deceit” as Want to Read:
Double Deceit

Double Deceit

Elaina soon accepts a job working at a small bookstore owned by the handsome Ryan Hill and his mother. Despite her reluctance to become romantically involved with anyone, she is drawn to Ryan and finds herself falling in love.

But someone isn’t happy with Elaina’s new life and is watching her every move. Her tormenter seems determined to destroy her sanity and her future,
Nook, 292 pages
Published May 30th 2011 by Brigham Distributing (first published May 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Double Deceit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Deceit

Heather
Jul 08, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-paperback
4.5 stars- Blog tour and full post at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com

This one's a page turner! I picked up Double Deceit on vacation and couldn't put it down until I found out how it all ended. You hear stories all the time about creepy stalker situations, but to become immersed in one as a reader was so fascinating.

Elaina has lost everything she loves in life except one younger sister. As a 19 year old she eloped and left home never to return. Then in a tragic turn of events, she loses her
Teri
Aug 27, 2011 Teri rated it it was amazing
c

Double Deceit by Stephanie Humphries
This is the first book by Stephanie that I've read and this is her second. She has done a great job of writing a very suspenseful novel.
The story starts out with Elaina Bryant, a young 26 year old widow, who has come back, after a ten year absence from her childhood home with her mom and younger sister, to start over after a devastating accident that took the lives of her husband and baby daughter.
When she is offered a job at the local bookstore, she feels g
Renae Weight
Jul 17, 2011 Renae Weight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking at the book, I first thought it had a great title and intriguing cover and back blurb. I was wary of the too perfect main character with excessive makeup but quickly warmed to her as I started reading.
Elaina, the MC, comes with her own set of insecurities and flaws, including a failed marriage. There were interesting supporting characters with their own stories. I liked how Humphreys simultaneously showed Elania's character growth while trying to fight becoming crazy. Contrasting this
Melissa
I liked this mystery by Stephanie Humphreys. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars. I thought she did a good job with the twists and turns of the mystery. While I guessed who the tormentor was, I didn't get all the twists until the end.

My only criticism was that it jumped quite a bit in places. For instance, at the end of a chapter the author has the main character and her sister go on a double date. There are no details about this date and the next chapter is the next day with no reference to the night befo
Katie W
Double Deceit is a very interesting, suspenseful romance. Elaina's abusive husband and young daughter died in a car accident and now she's going back to her childhood home to live with her younger sister. They haven't been in contact since Elaina eloped in high school. She gets a job and soon falls in love with the boss. But...things aren't all perfect. Elaina keeps receiving mysterious phone calls and letters that seem like pranks, but are almost threatening. Can she find out who is behind this ...more
Sheila
Oct 25, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

One of the things I really liked about this book was the constant angst that was there. There is the feeling that something is off, but you and Elaina just can't figure it out. Stephanie wrote this part of the novel so well, that you find you are as uptight as the main character...You will love Double Deceit, if you enjoy reading an angst filled mystery, thrown in with a crazy stalker and topped off with a handsome boss,who is also a good kisser.

If you would like to read the entire review, plea
Rachele
Sep 21, 2011 Rachele rated it really liked it
I thought this book was not only suspenseful but a great depiction of what someone is feeling when they are brave enough to move on with life after living in an abusive relationship and dealing with lose. I really felt for her when she kept feeling like something was wrong and not wanting to trust those around her. The story was smooth and fluid and I felt like each event was relevant to shedding light on who the characters were. Definitely a book I could read again and still enjoy the second ti ...more
Wanda Luce
Aug 14, 2011 Wanda Luce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie has masterfully spun a tale of romance, suspense, and drama. From chapter one, she creates questions in the reader's mind and then slowly reveals the answers to keep one turning the pages and wanting more. The dialogue always rang true, both to each character's personality and to the situation. I found myself immersed in the world of Elaina Bryant. The scenes and the overall plot are unique but entirely believable. This is a wonderful read with lots of angst satisfyingly intermingled w ...more
Amy
Sep 03, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on the library "New Arrivals" shelf. It is a good book, not well written about LDS characters. It was pretty predictable although the twist could have some people going. The characters aren't well developed, but the story is good. It's about a woman whose estranged husband dies and she goes back home to live with her sister who she hasn't seen in ten years. She tries to start a new life but begins to be harassed by an unknown person. It's a fast and clean read.
Aug 02, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was kind of a creepy book. It's about a girl who runs away from home to get married to her boyfriend and ends up being in a controlling marriage full of verbal/emotional abuse. She finally l goes home to mend past relationships but she starts getting weird phone calls and letters. I was definitely on the edge of my seat wondering what was going on and what will happen next. Great book!
Susan
Aug 17, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When her husband and baby are killed in a car crash, Elaina returns to the home she ran away from at the age of 17, to try to build a new life with her sister. But someone is watching her and she is wondering about her sanity. Can she support her sister when she seems to be making some of the same bad choices? Romance, suspense, etc.
Alyssa
Aug 08, 2011 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This was a fun book to read; fast-paced and keeps you guessing. I thought I had it all figured out for a while, but the extra twist at the end really surprised me. I would definitely read more from this author, it was very well written.
Leslie Lamb
Dec 23, 2013 Leslie Lamb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was kind of scary. Some guy is stalking this woman. It's pretty messed up when he harassed her into hearing the cries of her baby Annie, who is dead. Her ex husband died, so it couldn't be him. Then there is this possessive new boyfriend that her sister has. There is something familiar about him.
Heather
Aug 21, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was okay. The main character in this book seemed a bit wishy-washy at times, and the end seemed abrupt--there were some story pieces that didn't get resolved to my satisfaction. (Grade: "B-".)
Debbie
Jul 30, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book. There were interesting twists in it. You didn't know what was really going on and who was doing what. It was a little creepy sometimes. My daughter and I both like this book. Both of Stephanie Humphreys books are interesting.
Katherine
Jun 27, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Even though it is LDS fiction, there is very little about religion in the book. I liked then characters and the story moved quickly enough to keep my attention. I recommend it!
Taffy
Jul 18, 2011 Taffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Great, intriguing book that kept me reading from the very beginning to find out who was stalking Elaina Bryant.

Good, clean, suspenseful and romantic book!

Ratings: PG 13

S: kissing

V: Kidnapping

L: none
Gayle
Jul 10, 2012 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I won this book in a drawing last year and finally got a chance to read it. It wasn't my favorite -- I figured out the mystery and the romance fell a bit flat for me (and I don't particularly like the cover) -- but it was an okay story. The last few chapters were the best part.
Tory
Oct 06, 2012 Tory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read. This book comes highly recommended.

TS
Cheri
May 18, 2011 Cheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
WOW!! This book catches you from the beginning and you can't put it down!! I got creeped out and chills, but I love a good suspense!!
Aparna
Very predictable -- that too if you have read all the mary higgins clark books, you can pretty much predict how the story is going to go. Otherwise was ok.

Kandi
Jun 22, 2011 Kandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it kept me curious all the way to the end. A great mystery and romance all tied in one.
Marilyn
I really dislike this cover!
This was surprisingly interesting and intriguing, but the plot had some holes and really could have used some fine-tuning.
Leslie Olsen
this book was predicable but fun to read.
Diane
Dec 01, 2011 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book - it was well-written, although the story itself wasn't very realistic.
Alexandria Remillard
Amazing book! I never knew what to expect. All along I thought it was going to be his brother but I was stunned when it was actually him. Loved this book!
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Amber Smyer
Amber Smyer rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Cherileigh Leavitt
Cherileigh Leavitt rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Dearly Departed (Secret Sisters Mystery #2)
  • Sadie (Sadie, #1)
  • The Ball's in Her Court
  • Grave Secrets
  • Garden Plot
  • Altered State
  • The Pharaoh's Daughter (Isabelle Webb, #2)
  • All's Fair