Start by marking “Rora” as Want to Read:
Rora

Rora

In an eloquent word painting that could be his most significant and profound work ever, author James Byron Huggins has resurrected the magnificent story of RORA from the yellowing and dusty records of history, robed it in flesh and blood, infused breath and spirit, and created a vivid saga that is part poetry, part painting, part cinema.
-from the forward by Frank Peretti.
Hardcover
Published June 1st 2001 by Lion's Head Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rora

Stacy Johnson
Sep 23, 2010 Stacy Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Had never heard of this part I'd Christian history, and have been inspired by the example of the Waldenses and their absolute refusal to compromise the gospel for any reason.

Some of the writing and language felt a little forced, and the editing could have been better ("your" for "you're" and other similar typos"), which is why I took away one star, but the story itself deserves all five.
Helena
Oct 12, 2008 Helena rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in post medieval history of Europa
Poorly written - or poorly translated.
My editor would never approve with such a bad written story.
Nevertheless I continued reading, since the subject was so very interesting. A (to me) completely unknown part of European history that should never be forgotten.
In that matter: thanks JBH for writing this book.
But please take some writing class or hire another editor.
Karen
Apr 13, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok
This story is about gruesome battles between the religious group known as the Vaudois or Waldensians, and the Inquisition/Catholic Church, who slaughtered and tried to annihilate their people, deeming them heretics. They lived in the Alps in Italy and tried to defend themselves with trust in God their only motivation. Many were killed in brutal, despicable ways, rivaling the holocaust of more recent times. My ancestry includes some of these people, so I wanted to read the book, but it is not ver ...more
Paul
Jan 08, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
Rachel
Mar 10, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-favorites
Rora is the story of a small town in the mountains resisting the Spanish Inquisition, led by their brilliant (former military) leader. It took me almost a year to read Rora, because it isn't very gripping, but once I neared the end I started picking up the pace and it was quite exciting. It is by far the most violent book I've ever read, but it isn't senseless and gory. I would highly recommend Rora, but be forewarned, it isn't a light read and you have to be committed to finishing it. With that ...more
Kate
Mar 02, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing
Can I give this 6 stars?
Kirsten
I enjoyed this book. It was very fascinating. This is great story about a people who are not always remembered in history books. The writing and editing was very poor.
Amber
Mar 30, 2014 Amber rated it it was ok
The ending was a little disappointing, to tell the truth. the build up was so masterful, and it just...ended. i thought it could have been done better. but still, it's a good book, despite the main Christian message. You wouldn't think I'd like a book that kept saying "What chains can hold belong to man. The rest is God's" but I do appreciate the research and attention to detail. Intensely good book. Gorey and Christian. Overall well written, made me think about war and heroes and hypocrisy.
Jan
I didn't finish this. I just had a tough time getting to know the characters. It is about an event in history that is very interesting to me, but the endless preparation for battle was just too much.
Shawn
Sep 26, 2010 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this great book once. I'm now reading it to the kids. I'm certain I will not be able to read it without shedding a tear. I wonder if they will cry with me?
Smdc
Aug 17, 2010 Smdc rated it it was ok
I tried really hard to like this book, but the writing seemed so stilted, I just couldn't get into the storyline- which should have been great.
Christina
Recommended by Julie Kong. About the huguenots.
Dion
Jan 24, 2011 Dion rated it really liked it
7/10
Krissy Lee
Krissy Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Sandy Cathcart
Sandy Cathcart rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Ethan Croce
Ethan Croce rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Kelly Gibson
Kelly Gibson rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
David MacCallum
David MacCallum rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Louise Morris
Louise Morris marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Josh Springer
Josh Springer rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Hannah Daffinson
Hannah Daffinson marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Addi
Addi marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Don
Don rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Kenneth M. MacLeod
Kenneth M. MacLeod rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Hunted: A Novel
  • Strong at the Break (Caitlin Strong, #3)
  • Spree (Codename: Chandler #2)
  • WhiteSpace: Episode 1
  • Anaconda: The Writer's Cut
  • Worm
  • The Tide (The Tide Series, #1)
  • PRIMAL Fury (The PRIMAL Series Book 4)
  • Crossing the Darkness
  • Plaza: An Archaeological Thriller
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • Slaughterhouse (The Retreat #2)
  • Dead Team Alpha
  • Nemesis (Arisen, #8.5)
  • Bloodshot, Vol 3: Harbinger Wars
  • Empire of the Dead (Arisen, #8)
  • PripYat: The Beast Chernobyl
  • Velocity (Judd Bell & Corey Purchase, #1)
203705
A veteran novelist and best-selling author, James Byron Huggins' life story reads more like fiction than fact. His career as a writer began normally enough. He received a bachelor's degree in journalism and English from Troy State University, and then worked as a reporter for the Hartselle Enquirer in Hartselle, Alabama.

Huggins won seven awards while with the newspaper before leaving journalism i
More about James Byron Huggins...