Start by marking “The Doomsday Testament (Jamie Saintclaire, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Doomsday Testament (Jamie Saintclaire, #1)

The Doomsday Testament (Jamie Saintclaire #1)

1937, Hitler sent an expedition to Tibet in search of the lost land of Thule.

1941, Heinrich Himmler spent a huge fortune, and sacrificed the lives of hundreds of concentration camp prisoners, to turn Wewelsburg Castle in Germany into a shrine to the SS.

Art recovery expert Jamie Saintclair thought he knew his grandfather, but when he stumbles upon the old man's lost diary h
Published August 18th 2011 by Corgi (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Doomsday Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doomsday Testament

S.J.A. Turney
Jan 02, 2013 S.J.A. Turney rated it it was amazing
Indiana Jones? Perhaps, to a degree. If you combined it with elements from Kelly's Heroes, Lovejoy, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List and many other things.

In essence, I read few thrillers these days. Once upon a time I read a lot of them, along with whodunnits, but I reached a point where I found that the stories were all blending into one and I could anticipate and predict the story ahead of schedule. I stopped reading them in favour of other genres that were not falling into so much of a
GreekReaders
Aug 25, 2016 GreekReaders rated it really liked it
Άγγλοι, Γερμανοί, Κινέζοι, Ισραηλινοί, Θιβετιανοί και στη μέση ο ήρωας και η ηρωίδα να κυνηγούν όλοι μαζί να ξεθάψουν ένα καλά κρυμμένο μυστικό των Ναζί. Φόνοι και απόπειρες, β' Παγκόσμιος και οι σχετικές θηριωδίες, χαμένα έργα τέχνης, ανεξιχνίαστοι φόνοι, βουνά, δάση, πόλεις, καταιγιστική δράση, ανατροπές κι όλα αυτά εμπλουτισμένα με σωστά δοσμένες αναδρομές στο παρελθόν.

Το λες και ιστορική περιπέτεια, το λες και κάτι σε στυλ Ιντιάνα Τζόουνς, είναι από το είδος που πρέπει οι εξελίξεις να τρέχου
Eugenea Pollock
Oct 16, 2015 Eugenea Pollock rated it liked it
After reading the sample of this book, I had high expectations. Sorting through the contents of his grandfather's house after the old man dies in a fall down the stairs, Jamie finds his WWII journal in a box of medals. This sends Jamie on a search for the hero he never knew, or even suspected, through the journal entries that switch the action from today to the 1940s and back. So far, so good; however, ultimately, I was disappointed with the shallow characterization of the co-adventurer/love ...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
An expedition into the Himalayas as part of the Nazi search for their Aryan roots leads to the discovery of a tremendous secret. The wartime journal of an old man, found dead by his grandson, opens doors to a dangerous hunt. Lost artworks, underground bunkers, the mummified corpses of slave workers, mad Nazis and even madder government agents... this is Indiana Jones without the Fedora and another one of those books which appears to be doubling up as a ready-made screenplay for (hopefully) some ...more
Rob
Aug 25, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing
I hadn't thought that I would be rating this book at 5 stars when I first started the read. However, in my opinion, it just got better and better. I very much enjoyed it.
No spoilers here, just let's say my first suspicions eventually proved partially correct, and the author managed to keep me in suspense for the length of the book.
James Douglas is the pen name of Douglas Jackson - an author I had never previously read, so I shall be looking for more of his books.
Juliana
Oct 02, 2015 Juliana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non-Stop Action

Fast paced thriller about the search for a lost "treasure" from WW II that starts when our hero discovers a war-time journal in his recently deceased grandfather's papers. It doesn't stop flinging us from one deadly encounter to another across Europe and Asia until the final satisfying ending. A great mix of history and fiction. Well worth the read.
Peter Greenhalgh
Aug 28, 2012 Peter Greenhalgh rated it it was ok
First book in the 'Jamie Saintclaire' Indiana Jones-type series. OK-ish thriller, but a tad predictable. James Douglas is a pseudonym used by historical fiction author Douglas Jackson, so the book is well-written. Jackson's Rome books are far superior, but I'll give the second book in the series, 'The Isis Covenant', a go.
Graham
Apr 10, 2012 Graham rated it it was ok
Easy to read, predictable plot, just an 'Indiana Jones' style adeventure story.
I suppose you could read in the morals of the victors of warfare if you want but hey, why complicate things?
Ron
Sep 24, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it
A bi far fetched but well worth reading for the historical content.
Dawn
Jul 21, 2012 Dawn rated it it was ok
Meh. A tad too much like Indiana Jones, but without the humour or Harrison Ford.
Walt Xavier
Aug 11, 2014 Walt Xavier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bom livro de ação.
Andrea
Nov 03, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libreria
Ottimo romanzo di avventura, ricorda vagamente le avventure di Indiana Jones, a mio avviso la parte narrante che ci porta indietro ai tempi della seconda guerra mondiale ben si accoppia alla trama principale.
Alcuni spunti risultano molto interessanti a tal punto da spingermi a cercare alcune curiosità sui nazisti raccontate in questo romanzo, lo studio approfondito sui nazisti da parte dello scrittore si vede eccome; i dialoghi risentono un po' questa trama piena di azione, tuttavia hanno un lo
Valentina
Nov 29, 2016 Valentina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libri-mollati
Purtroppo ho dovuto abbandonarlo al 30% circa di lettura. Ne spiegherò il motivo qua: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLfHh...
Robin Carter
May 05, 2012 Robin Carter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Review:
Doomsday Testament
The name really has the ring of a classic thriller, and it does not disappoint in that respect. If you go back through my other reviews you will find them interspersed with thrillers, I usually read them as a break between Historical fiction, a little light sorbet of a book, something that is fast and does not tax the brain.
This book is not a light sorbet; it is too packed with pace, action and great characters. The plot is complex and there is a great use of time slip t
Roop
Feb 10, 2016 Roop rated it really liked it
Mathew Sinclair, Jamie Saintclair, Sarah Grant and Walter Brohm these are the four significant characters involved in this novel.

Hundreds of years before a meteor crashes in Tibet which creates a large crater on impact. The people worshiped the meteor, they made a gold casket for holding the stone. That energy stone is called Sun stone in the story. When Nazi rule was in prime, Walter Brohm takes an expedition and get holds the Sun Stone, he researches for harnessing its energy, during World Wa
Laurence Bradbury
Dec 21, 2011 Laurence Bradbury rated it liked it
James Douglas is I believe the Pseudonym of Douglas Jackson, a writer of historical fiction. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here).

An enjoyable read. It follows the war time diary of the grandfather of Jamie Saintclare. Jamie's grandfather, a vicar, has a fatal fall and the diary is discovered as he goes through his estate. The gentle old man he knew is at odds to the history that unfolds as he reads the diary. The diary hints of a famous painting and a source of great power. So Jamie sets out t
Phil Jones
Apr 18, 2013 Phil Jones rated it really liked it
Chosen in a hurry when cathcing a train I was pleased with how much I enjoyed this first novel in what I believe will be a series. The lead character Jamie Saintclair is a little bit of an action cliche but that does not stop this from being an enjoyable action thriller.

From the secrets of Nazi Germany to Tibet the story runs along at a rapid pace before leading to a somewhat hurried conclusion.

I enjoyed it enough to look for book 2 which will no doubt be read sometime soon.
Matt
Jun 17, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
A great book not 1 I would've picked by choice but was given it as it was getting thrown away! Glad I read it, reads like an Indiana Jones adventure and is easy to follow with a few twists and turns added for good measure and an ending I didn't expect but was still a great way to end it!
Well worth a read if you want an easy to follow no thinking action novel!
Ryan Low
I did enjoy this book. It was difficult to get in to from the beginning, but the more you read the more engrossed you become. I felt it was along the lines of the da Vinci code but not as good. I do however look forward to reading more from this series. Definitely worth a read of you are into adventure books and not to worried if it is a little bit predictable.
Gaye
Mar 27, 2016 Gaye rated it really liked it
great yarn and page turner in the Dan Brown tradition - good romp following the war dead and historical figures in germany, Nepal I think and elsewhere mingling nazi history, art fraud and adventure.
Arsenovic Nikola
Jan 27, 2016 Arsenovic Nikola rated it it was ok
Jedva sam zavrsio ovu knjigu. Jedina dobra stvar u tome je da cu vise ceniti dobru knjigu posle ovog iskustva. U ovoj prici sve je crno belo a tako nesto odavno me ne privlaci u zivotu je puno nijansi i nikad nista nije tako jednostavno
Phil Green
May 30, 2014 Phil Green rated it it was ok
I thought it was long and drawn out and ultimately annoyed me with the way the plot moved along. The love interest was clumsily shoehorned in which I found ruined it a bit, as alarm bells rang instantly.
Stephen
Oct 17, 2014 Stephen rated it liked it
fast paced adventure thriller as Jamie saintclair go in search of a painting but followed his grandfather's journal pursued by neo-nazis , doesn't disappoint
Kenneth Anthony
Jun 25, 2013 Kenneth Anthony rated it liked it
My first introduction the James Douglas! Pretty slow moving for me to be honest. I just hope The Isis Crown is better.
Ken Cunningham
Sep 03, 2016 Ken Cunningham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 of 5

A very good adventure story. At times a bit wordy, but still a good read. I look forward the other books of James Douglas.
Stacy
Jan 09, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it
Parts of this book were absorbing and well written. Other parts were dumb (like the ending). Still, I like the idea of our hero being an art recovery expert.
Becky
Jul 19, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read.

Enjoyable thriller. Nothing very deep and a touch predictable. Was a good read for the airplane as it was a quick read.
Jennifer Eckel
Not bad. I liked the incorporation of the lost art into the story. I also enjoyed how the hero matured throughout the course of the story.
Helen
Helen rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2013
Garry
Garry rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Secrets of the Dead
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • The Babylonian Codex (Jax Alexander Mystery #3)
  • Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan, #3)
  • Pantheon
  • The Icon Thief
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Map
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • The Sacred Cipher (The Jerusalem Prophecies, #1)
  • The Cassandra Sanction (Ben Hope, #12)
  • The Mask of Atreus
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • The God Machine
A pseudonym used by Douglas Jackson

Librarian note:
There is more than one auhor in the GoodReads database with this name
More about James Douglas...

Jamie Saintclaire (4 books)
  • The Isis Covenant (Jamie Saintclaire, #2)
  • The Excalibur Codex (Jamie Saintclaire, #3)
  • The Samurai Inheritance (Jamie Saintclaire, #4)