Malinky Robot: Collected Stories and Other Bits

Malinky Robot: Collected Stories and Other Bits

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Street urchins Atari and Oliver are out to steal bicycles, watch Giant Robot movies, and spend some Large Denominational Bills! Malinky Robot collects five tales by Eisner-nominated artist Sonny Liew (My Faith in Frankie, Wonderland, Sense & Senisibility) featuring stinky fish, philosopher-labourers, and summer rain. A recipient of the Xeric Award, the Utopiales SF Fes...more
Published September 6th 2011 by Image Comics (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Malinky Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Malinky Robot

Keith
I've had the first issue of Malinky Robot sitting in one of my longboxes for a few years now, enigmatic and weird and difficult to make sense of, a flash in the pan of independent comicbookery until I remembered that in our interwebbed world, nothing stays a mystery forever.

So now this. It's a super-lovely little grotto of a book; what I think Calvin and Hobbes might be like if they lived inside Blade Runner -- a bittersweet post-apocalypse of magic. The two urchins -- androgynous Atari and pig...more
Manintheboat
I too am super happy I have this in English now. No more badgering my French-reading friends with, "What does this say?"

I love all the stories and the art manages to look jaded and innocent at the same time.
Artur Coelho
Há neste livro uma curiosa mistura de sensibilidades. Temos por um lado o estilismo bonito e atraente das personagens infantilizadas como desenhos animados. Por outro, o futurismo alastrante de sabor asiático das megalópoles que misturam o hipermodernismo dos arranha-céus de vidro brilhante com o fervilhar humano ao nível das ruas. Isto é FC, mas de forma difusa, uma visão poética que digere influências da FC tradicional e das visões de futuro do manga e anime.

Malinky Robot vive de um certo exp...more
Melissa
I fell in love with Sonny Liew's artwork when the first Malinky Robot showed up at the comic store I work at. I found it increasingly difficult to track down subsequent copies, even going so far as to call some contacts in France to get the French version, so I am pretty stoked that an English collection is finally released. His loose, scribbly style fits the mischief of his characters well and the colors are great.
Rose
I am so hooked. Sonny Liew's writing is as delightful as his art. While these are all short stories, there's so much *story* packed into them! If you haven't read about Atari and Oliver yet, don't delay!
Jeanne Lee
Loved the fact that a single pane can emote! Endearing characters, lovely sketches. It's not so much about the story but just the *feeling*.
Lucy
Mar 08, 2012 Lucy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Why does Atari smoke? It freaks me out, but I still enjoyed the short stories. The art was really neat.
Lauren
Liked this a lot. Surreal and funny at the same time.
Dave
Make Mine Malinky!
Magila
2.5 for me. I'm sorry. I loved the art and ink. The stories smacked of a seriously creative mind, but they just don't make much sense. And Atari smokes (and he's a young kid that doesn't need to be smoking).

I'd give the art a 5, but the stream of consciousness was so far in left field I was left behind. Sure, they were short stories. Sure, I loved the sly references to popular culture. I wanted to love the comics overall. I just didn't. Also, I have to admit I kept waiting for a small robot. Or...more
Matthew Middleton
I loved the art, but the stories definitely left me wanting. I was also a little confused that the collection is called "Malinky Robot" but only 2 of the stories even involved the robot, which just happened to be my favorite stories since they had a simple cohesive plot.
Emilia P
Like... where are we guys? Liew is based in Singapore, this feels like some imagined semi-utopian-semi-dystopian Japan, and just exactly what are these little creatures that the tales are about? I don't know, and I don't need to know. They are beautiful, they are weird, they are super-specifically out of one dudes imagination, and as much as I don't really follow the stories (am I supposed to be able to?) the images are surprisingly both very comic-book-y and extremely intricate and artistic. I...more
Atiqer
Singapore represent!
Asna
Sonny Liew has his own style which mix of everything. The stories are fun and kind of surreal. Full colors and varied in themes. I like the stories but I just don't prefer style of left the penciling unclean.
Jason Lundberg
Wonderful whimsical collection; I was so sad when this ended. I now join the throngs clamoring for Sonny Liew to create a Malinky Robot graphic novel. We need to see much more of this world.
keri.
I would buy every page from this collection, if I could; I love the art that much.
Kari Ramirez
I just want to know....what is Oliver?!
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Vivekanand Sridhar
Vivekanand Sridhar marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Dhananjay Balan
Dhananjay Balan marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Sonny Liew is a Eisner-nominated comic artist, illustrator and painter whose work include titles for DC Vertigo, Marvel, SLG and Disney, along withteh Xeric-awarded MALINKY ROBOT. He has also served as editor and contributor for Image Comics’ Eisner-nominated LIQUID CITY anthology.

MALINKY ROBOT: COLLECTED STORIES AND OTHER BITS TP (JUN110503), a 128-page full
color collection of short sequential ar...more
More about Sonny Liew...
Liquid City, Vol. 1 (Liquid City, #1) Liquid City, Vol. 2 (Liquid City, #2) Malinky Robot: Bicycle The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye Re-Gifters