Gray Lake: A Novel

Gray Lake: A Novel

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Brian and Iggy are suddenly living the urban legends and ghost stories they love as they witness a jet-black car cruising across the fog-laced, moonlit surface of Gray Lake.

At the same moment, in the marshes to the north, the battle for dominance over a troubled gang of small-town meth dealers begins.

For Scott Ignatowski, the demonic car’s arrival heralds a downward spir...more
Published (first published June 28th 2011)

Samb
The plot twists and turns as well as the back and forth between the supernatural and reality kept me reading from start to finish. A really good book for a dark and stormy night.
Janice
This was a very good 70's or 80's ghost story, about drugs and alcohol. The Queen of the lake and how everyone related to her was very interesting.
Dale
Brian and Iggy, best friends, have heard of all the ghost stories and urban legends surrounding Gray Lake but they never believed they would witness it firsthand. The ghosts infect their lives and others in the community, leading the reader on a spine tingling journey.

"Gray Lake" is a true ghost story that has something for everyone. Romance,thriller,crime,and fantasy are covered to some extent. You would expect a mixture of genres like that to be convoluted but Bain's writing style combines the...more
Jonna
I'm not sure how to review this. I found myself getting caught up in the story during certain chapters. I felt like I spent the first 150 pages asking myself "what is going on here? who is this talking about again?" So I felt a little disconnected from the story until half way through the book. I felt like I was on that upward chug of a roller coaster, looking over the side going, where am I? What's going to happen?

But by then the story really shifted shapes and that's where you felt like you we...more
Debbie Heaton
In Bain’s supernatural horror novel, teenage friends, Brian and Iggy, find themselves seeking out ghost stories and urban legends as they watch mystified as a car drives across the moonlit surface of Gray Lake. Simultaneously, a gang of meth dealers battle for dominance to the north.

For Iggy, the car sighting heralds a series of dreams; while Brian enters into a dark relationship with a beautiful girl he meets on the lakeshore named Maya.

Soon these events will hurtle Brian, Iggy and others towar...more
Eric
I thought this one had some slow spots, and the Menger character was one of the few which I felt was well defined. There were also numerous editing issues on my Kindle edition which is never a plus. Overall, it was a fanciful tale though and combined several urban legend scenarios with an ethereal realm in a fashion that held my interest. I would gladly read more from this author.
Robbi Podgaysky- freeman
I used to read scary novels all the time then Steven King and Dean Koontz seemed to lose their chill. This was a great book that will keep you up at night. Very impressed. The story will keep you wondering and guessing all the way through. A new author for me to bring the scary back to reading.
Heather McBride
Strange book... The story line was good but I think it could have used a few more scary ghosts and left out the "queen"... Jumpy , slow, and confusing in some places, like you had to be hallucinating to understand it... I gave it three stars because most of the main characters were likable...
Kimberley
enjoyable ...finished in a day...kept me interested
Ken
Dec 07, 2013 Ken added it
False
Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Jessica Martin
Jessica Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Nona Mitchell
Nona Mitchell marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Michael Mcparland
Michael Mcparland marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
T
T marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sonja Bristow
Sonja Bristow marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Tracie
Tracie marked it as to-read
Michelle Marshall
Michelle Marshall marked it as to-read
Jenn Baggett
Jenn Baggett marked it as to-read
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Maria
Maria added it
Apr 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Death Sight: A Will Castleton Novel The Castleton Files: Five Adventures Streetlights Filled with Flowers: Three Urban Fantasies Night Writing: Tales to Fill the Darkness