Start by marking “White Stallion of Lipizza” as Want to Read:
White Stallion of Lipizza

Marguerite Henry

White Stallion of Lipizza

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  2,960 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The magnificent Lipizzan stallions of Vienna come to life as never before in this exciting story by award-winning author, Marguerite Henry.

A young boy named Hans dreams of one day working with the famed stallions of Lipizza. But coming from a family of bakers, Hans is discouraged from ever becoming a rider. That is, until the day he is invited to watch the extraordinary

Published by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about White Stallion of Lipizza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Stallion of Lipizza

Lois Bujold
Jul 01, 2014 Lois Bujold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in horses, mid-20th-century history, or both
Recommended to Lois by: chat list discussion
I actually read the original 1964 first printing from my public library, which still hoards it. I was reminded of its existence through a chat list conversation, and though I still remember vividly nearly all of Henry's other wonderful kids' books from my horse-mad childhood, I think I may have missed this one, published when I was in junior high. It is still very fine, and I'm glad to see it has been recently reprinted. I cannot imagine how an e-edition would reproduce the -- to me, integral -- ...more
annapi
Hans Haupt is the son of a baker, and is fully expected to take over the family business in time. But his passion is for horses, and his dream is to one day be a Riding Master and work with the magnificent Lipizzaners of the Spanish Riding School of Vienna. Against the odds he gets a chance to pursue his ambition, and this story tells in exquisite detail all that he goes through in training.

No one can tell a horse story like Marguerite Henry, and what keeps this tale from becoming a dry history
Darlene
May 20, 2011 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

We loved this book! My elder daughter especially loves horses and riding, so she was particularly interested in the details that Henry provided with regards to training of both the horses and riders.

This inspirational book teaches that dreams can come true through hard work and perseverance. Hans did, at times, feel discouraged but he persisted. We should all work hard to attain our goals, which is a good value for young children to learn.

MY RATING: 4 stars
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, I have loved every Marguerite Henry book I have ever found. She is one author who wrote intelligently for young adults. When I read her now, I do not wonder what I saw in her books. I still enjoy them!

This book has some of the most beautiful of Wesley Dennis' illustrations.
Martine
May 30, 2009 Martine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a kid in the 1960s I looked forward to getting new horse books by Maruerite Henry for birthday or other special occasions. I was a horse fanatic. Someday I hope to go to a horse show to see these horses.
Lydia Smith
Mar 23, 2016 Lydia Smith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-kids
It was very interesting because I didn't know anything about these famous Austrian horses! But, Savannah thought some parts were a little boring. She is not that into horses but if you had a kid who is into horses they'd prob really love this story.
Marlo
Jan 30, 2017 Marlo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book to both of my boys and my daughter when they were each around 8 years old. It's a terrific coming-of-age story with great historical detail. I've enjoyed reading it aloud every time, and each of my children enjoyed the book as well.
Holly Parry
Feb 01, 2017 Holly Parry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything by Marguerite Henry is great absolutely you should read it

It was absolutely amazing and I enjoy disappointed it was spectacular it was every thing I thought it would be!!!
Rebecca Green
Feb 11, 2017 Rebecca Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story of a dream birthed, cherished, pursued, and won. We read this aloud. My son loved it and related to the main character even though they have very different life dreams.
Rena Sherwood
Not one of Henry's best. However, a bad Marguerite Henry book is still better than most children writer's best books. There is not much of a plot, although it is partly based on the life of a real rider with the Spanish Riding School of Vienna. Yes, Vienna is not in Spain but the style of riding (and some of the original bloodstock for the Lipizzaner) originated in Spain. You may know Lipizzaner best from the Walt Disney film:

description

It's hard to read about the happy times in Austria portrayed here and
C-shaw
Sep 13, 2016 C-shaw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A library book, a blast from my childhood past, written by my favorite horse author, Marguerite Henry, and illustrated by the incomparable Wesley Dennis.
A good story for those who are interested in the Lipizanner stallions.
Marsha
Ms. Henry’s love of horses and her meticulous attention to detail shine through in this short, sweet tale of a boy’s almost fanatical desire to rise above his humble origins and become part of a grand tradition of Vienna. The white horses of Lipizza are a marvel of beauty, elegance, obedience and precision, their movements as graceful as a dancer’s and their performances as marvelous as a trained dolphin’s.

Her language is simple but it completely conveys the protagonist’s emotions and thoughts
Angelina
Jan 30, 2016 Angelina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The White Stallions of Lipizza are an absolute spectacle. The perform not simple circus tricks, but ornate movements of pure magic. Hans Haupt makes it his mission to become one with the world of Lipizzaners but, and let's face it, when has society seen a baker's boy rise to great fame other than through his pastries? The Spanish Riding School of Vienna is no place for such an individual. Or is it? "White Stallion of Lipizza" will take you to places that you never could have imagined could possi ...more
Karen GoatKeeper
It seems every horse lover has a favorite breed. One horse breed seems to transcend this: the Lipizzaner. The appeal of their intricate maneuvers and especially the airs above ground seems universal.
So where did these horses come from? Where did they get their name? How are they trained? Why is it called the Spanish School? What are the airs above ground?
Marguerite Henry tells the story of a young Viennese boy with a dream of one day being a Riding Master of the Spanish Riding School. Interwoven
Emerald
This was one of my favorite childhood books. I remember getting out of school for summer vacation and my little sister and our cousin went to the library. I remember checking out this book. After reading, I remember thinking how magical it all seemed and that this was true, these horses really did exist. The horse on the cover is what drew my attention and I thought the horse was beautiful and I had to take this book home and read about him. I remember I didn't want to return the book to the lib ...more
Anne Osterlund
Hans dreams of riding the famous Lippizan stallions. A dream that seems all but impossible for a baker’s son, especially after Hans’s father is injured in a cart accident.

But Hans will do anything to pursue his dream: read ancient texts about the war general, Xenophon, sneak off to see the Lippizan colts in the dead of night, and, yes, commit years of his life. If that’s what it takes.

White Stallion of Lippiza is a mid-grade novel (though the one I read was formatted like a giant picture book) a
Aadel Bussinger
Oct 28, 2008 Aadel Bussinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, horse lovers, families, history buffs
Beautiful, informative, great illustrations. This was truly a book for the whole family. Hans works in the family bakery, but his dream is to work with the Famous Lipizzaner Horses that he sees each Sunday as they march to their performance. Will Hans have to let go of his dream, or can determination get him what he wants?

Great as a history, geography, and science lesson if you study further about Austria, the Lipizzaner Horses, Horse Training and Anatomy, and WW2 and General Paton's part in sav
Cassidy
Jan 26, 2010 Cassidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
The White Stallion of Lipizza is a truly lovely book. I read it second grade and I haven't forgotten it since. It's a simple and charming yet deep story with everything a seven-year-old could possibly desire in a book: gorgeous white horses, bakeries, adventure, family, and dreams with some challenges and loss thrown in to hold everything together. This is a book every kid should get the chance to read.
Mandy Beyers
A fascinating horse story by an author whom many call the most famous horse author ever, this book is also a story about horse training, the history of the white Lipizzaner stallions of Vienna, and a young boy who has and pursues an impossible dream. I especially appreciated the fact that things were not made easy for him. His dream did not come true by magic, but by hard work and persistence, even when things were difficult and others were discouraging.
Elizabeth
May 25, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book because I am fulfilling a life's dream - to visit the Lippizzaner stud farm in Slovenia! I owned the book as a girl - and I read all of Marguerite Henry's horse books! No, this isn't great literature, but it was just what I wanted to get me in the mood to see the stud farm. I see why I loved it as a girl...the story is just the right balance between information and story, not too much emotion or drama. Even as a 62 year old I cried when Hans felt that he had failed!
Madeline Henricksen
"White Stallion of Lipizza" is about a boy named Hans , who is a baker's son. His dream is to get into the Spanish Riding School of Vienna. When he accomplishes his dream, he befriends a horse named Maestoso Borina, the oldest and most professional horse at the school. Hans rides Maestoso Borina while learning the great art of horse ballet. I recommend this book to anyone who is a horse lover!
Brandi
Dec 22, 2014 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2003 second grade sunlight read aloud.

I remember absolutely loving this book as my mom was reading it to me when I was little. We would sent on the couch and she would read to me till she was hoarse and then continue on herself, which made me crazy. Definitely one my very favorite sunlight read alouds, along with The Little Princess and Detective in Togas.
Becky F.
Jul 31, 2015 Becky F. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marguerite Henry writes enjoyable and lovable stories. This book is informative and very interesting. We loved learning about Hand Haupt and the Lippizzaners. Children that love horses will enjoy this story.
Christina
Apr 20, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm... we read this previously but didn't mark it. I wanted to note it because it was a very memorable story about a young boy's dream. After reading, we watched several YouTube videos and the movie about the White Stallions of Lipizza, which added to our understanding about this book.
Johanna Bouchard
May 14, 2011 Johanna Bouchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I read this book once, when I was about eight years old, and I have never forgotten it. One of the most touching and inspirational books I have ever read, I have always been a huge Marguerite Henry fan, but this is by far her best work.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals

My Rating System:
Karen
This one was fascinating because of the details, what the horses can do, the riders training, Hans' passion and the lesson of how he throws himself into extra homework to feed his passion and to achieve his dream.
Andd Becker
Illustrations by Wesley Dennis enhance the persistence/goal attainment theme. Hans, the protagonist, is a boy with a dream. He wants to train to ride the Lipizzaners, the famous white stallions of Vienna. His quest inspires him to read the Ancient Greek historian, Xenophon.
Rae
Apr 09, 2008 Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-childrens
Back in the day, they would occasionally show the Lipizzan stallions on television. I was fascinated by them. And I love just about everything Marguerite Henry wrote about horses. She made them seem like so much more than animals...
Play Book Tag: White Stallion of Lipizza by Marguerite Henry - 4 stars 8 20 Nov 07, 2016 01:50AM
  • Peter the Great
  • Tales of Robin Hood
  • The Little Riders
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • The Apprentice
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Window on the World: When We Pray God Works
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...