Start by marking “White Stallion of Lipizza” as Want to Read:
White Stallion of Lipizza

Marguerite Henry

White Stallion of Lipizza

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  2,384 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The magnificent Lipizzan stallions of Vienna come to life as never before in this exciting story by award-winning author, Marguerite Henry.

A young boy named Hans dreams of one day working with the famed stallions of Lipizza. But coming from a family of bakers, Hans is discouraged from ever becoming a rider. That is, until the day he is invited to watch the extraordinary

Published by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about White Stallion of Lipizza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Stallion of Lipizza

Lois Bujold
Jul 01, 2014 Lois Bujold rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in horses, mid-20th-century history, or both
Recommended to Lois by: chat list discussion
I actually read the original 1964 first printing from my public library, which still hoards it. I was reminded of its existence through a chat list conversation, and though I still remember vividly nearly all of Henry's other wonderful kids' books from my horse-mad childhood, I think I may have missed this one, published when I was in junior high. It is still very fine, and I'm glad to see it has been recently reprinted. I cannot imagine how an e-edition would reproduce the -- to me, integral -- ...more
Darlene
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

We loved this book! My elder daughter especially loves horses and riding, so she was particularly interested in the details that Henry provided with regards to training of both the horses and riders.

This inspirational book teaches that dreams can come true through hard work and perseverance. Hans did, at times, feel discouraged but he persisted. We should all work hard to attain our goals, which is a good value for young children to learn.

MY RATING: 4 stars
Marsha
Ms. Henry’s love of horses and her meticulous attention to detail shine through in this short, sweet tale of a boy’s almost fanatical desire to rise above his humble origins and become part of a grand tradition of Vienna. The white horses of Lipizza are a marvel of beauty, elegance, obedience and precision, their movements as graceful as a dancer’s and their performances as marvelous as a trained dolphin’s.

Her language is simple but it completely conveys the protagonist’s emotions and thoughts
Karen GoatKeeper
It seems every horse lover has a favorite breed. One horse breed seems to transcend this: the Lipizzaner. The appeal of their intricate maneuvers and especially the airs above ground seems universal.
So where did these horses come from? Where did they get their name? How are they trained? Why is it called the Spanish School? What are the airs above ground?
Marguerite Henry tells the story of a young Viennese boy with a dream of one day being a Riding Master of the Spanish Riding School. Interwoven
Rebecca
So far, I have loved every Marguerite Henry book I have ever found. She is one author who wrote intelligently for young adults. When I read her now, I do not wonder what I saw in her books. I still enjoy them!

This book has some of the most beautiful of Wesley Dennis' illustrations.
Rena Sherwood
Not one of Henry's best. However, a bad Marguerite Henry book is still better than most children writer's best books. There is not much of a plot, although it is partly based on a real rider with the Spanish Riding School. It's also hard to read about the happy times in Austria portrayed here and know that World War II is just around the corner. Writing about the Spanish Riding School during World War II would have made for a more interesting book.

The story suffers without the magnificent illust
Martine
As a kid in the 1960s I looked forward to getting new horse books by Maruerite Henry for birthday or other special occasions. I was a horse fanatic. Someday I hope to go to a horse show to see these horses.
Christina
Hmmm... we read this previously but didn't mark it. I wanted to note it because it was a very memorable story about a young boy's dream. After reading, we watched several YouTube videos and the movie about the White Stallions of Lipizza, which added to our understanding about this book.
Brandi
2003 second grade sunlight read aloud.

I remember absolutely loving this book as my mom was reading it to me when I was little. We would sent on the couch and she would read to me till she was hoarse and then continue on herself, which made me crazy. Definitely one my very favorite sunlight read alouds, along with The Little Princess and Detective in Togas.
Karen
This one was fascinating because of the details, what the horses can do, the riders training, Hans' passion and the lesson of how he throws himself into extra homework to feed his passion and to achieve his dream.
Anne Osterlund
Hans dreams of riding the famous Lippizan stallions. A dream that seems all but impossible for a baker’s son, especially after Hans’s father is injured in a cart accident.

But Hans will do anything to pursue his dream: read ancient texts about the war general, Xenophon, sneak off to see the Lippizan colts in the dead of night, and, yes, commit years of his life. If that’s what it takes.

White Stallion of Lippiza is a mid-grade novel (though the one I read was formatted like a giant picture book) a
Aadel Bussinger
Oct 28, 2008 Aadel Bussinger rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, horse lovers, families, history buffs
Beautiful, informative, great illustrations. This was truly a book for the whole family. Hans works in the family bakery, but his dream is to work with the Famous Lipizzaner Horses that he sees each Sunday as they march to their performance. Will Hans have to let go of his dream, or can determination get him what he wants?

Great as a history, geography, and science lesson if you study further about Austria, the Lipizzaner Horses, Horse Training and Anatomy, and WW2 and General Paton's part in sav
Mandy Beyers
A fascinating horse story by an author whom many call the most famous horse author ever, this book is also a story about horse training, the history of the white Lipizzaner stallions of Vienna, and a young boy who has and pursues an impossible dream. I especially appreciated the fact that things were not made easy for him. His dream did not come true by magic, but by hard work and persistence, even when things were difficult and others were discouraging.
Em
The White Stallion of Lipizza is a truly lovely book. I read it second grade and I haven't forgotten it since. It's a simple and charming yet deep story with everything a seven-year-old could possibly desire in a book: gorgeous white horses, bakeries, adventure, family, and dreams with some challenges and loss thrown in to hold everything together. This is a book every kid should get the chance to read.
Madeline Henricksen
"White Stallion of Lipizza" is about a boy named Hans , who is a baker's son. His dream is to get into the Spanish Riding School of Vienna. When he accomplishes his dream, he befriends a horse named Maestoso Borina, the oldest and most professional horse at the school. Hans rides Maestoso Borina while learning the great art of horse ballet. I recommend this book to anyone who is a horse lover!
Kyrie
One of my favorite childhood books.
I loved how the horses could dance. The training between rider and horse is awesome.
Mandie
Good if you like horses. A bit dull if you don't,
Andd Becker
Illustrations by Wesley Dennis enhance the persistence/goal attainment theme. Hans, the protagonist, is a boy with a dream. He wants to train to ride the Lipizzaners, the famous white stallions of Vienna. His quest inspires him to read the Ancient Greek historian, Xenophon.
Christina
This is our current read aloud with Clara and Max. Clara is completely fascinated by this book so far but Max is a bit more reluctant. Clara just finished re-reading Misty of Chincoteague by the same author so she loved the book before we even started reading.
Johanna Bouchard
I read this book once, when I was about eight years old, and I have never forgotten it. One of the most touching and inspirational books I have ever read, I have always been a huge Marguerite Henry fan, but this is by far her best work.
Rae
Back in the day, they would occasionally show the Lipizzan stallions on television. I was fascinated by them. And I love just about everything Marguerite Henry wrote about horses. She made them seem like so much more than animals...
Anne
Sep 12, 2012 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne by: Sonlight
Shelves: sonlight-books
Fantastic read - especially enjoyed by my young equestrienne. A great story of setting a goal, working hard and persevering to achieve it.
My kids really enjoyed learning about Lipizza horses while we read this book. You can't go wrong with a Marguerite Henry horse book!
Mandy Blackburn
As always Henry presents a charming story that is well researched and makes you want to be with horse again.
Stevie
loved this one, and the information about Austria, Dressage, the history of the Spanish Riding School...
Skye
Cute story about Lippizaner stallions. I didn't know much about them so it was interesting.
Ashwise
A fantastic book about a boy who decides to enroll in the Spanish Riding School.
Amy
Sophia really loved this. It didn't catch me as much though.
Lindsey Doolan
A favorite from childhood. Well told. Buy one to last.
Emily
Dancing Horses...what girl wouldn't like that??
  • Peter the Great
  • The Little Riders
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Apprentice
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • Maps and Globes
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...
Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3) Brighty of the Grand Canyon Justin Morgan Had a Horse