Start by marking “The Foxes of Firstdark ” as Want to Read:
The Foxes of Firstdark

The Foxes of Firstdark

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A story of foxes, from O-ha and her six unborn cubs in Trinity Wood to Camio, an American Red Fox far away in his zoo cage. The animals in Trinity Wood feel safe from predators, but their world is changing, humans are coming closer with their bulldozers, houses, their guns and their dogs.
Published April 1st 1990 by Doubleday (first published 1989)

Fennec
Well, I sure hope I can do justice to this.

Hunter's Moon is an allegory of emotion biting, realistic proportions. This is animal fiction at it's prime; adult, realistic and competent. Garry Kilworth absolutely nails personification here. Unlike a portion of animal related books, these animals are written completely with the attributes you understand them as having in the real world. They barely break any rules, everything is believable. Though that specific set of rules is given "voice", it's gi
Lissa
I was born and raised in the only place in the world where foxes do not live besides Antarctica (Tasmania, Australia), and as such, I find foxes extremely exotic and fascinating. They have been my favourite animal for as long as I can remember.
I cannot rave enough about this book. It's a talking animals book, sure, but for adults. It follows the life of rural vixen O-ha as her home is slowly taken over by a developing town. There's a viscous enemy bent on taking her down and making her life mise
Claire Kerry
I can't remember reading any other book quite like this. And before you throw Watership Down or The Sight of Firebringer in my face, remember that those stories had either a quest narrative, fantastical elements or both.

This book simply follows the life of this fox, her mates, her children and is fascinating from start to finish. the culture Kilworth creates, not just for foxes but for other animals as well, is stunning in how well-thought out it is.

I don't re-read this often, it's a hefty one
Marc
I discovered that this book existed a few years ago, but only recently finally got my hands on it. Having read very positive reviews, and foxes being one, if not the, my favorite animals, I could only hope it was as good as I expected.

It was more than that: it was fantastic, one of the best books I've ever read.
The whole plot, the characters, their actions and emotions, even the mystic background stuff which I tend to dislike, everything was just right and made perfect sense.
When a character is
Heissen
This is, without a doubt, the best book that I have read in my entire life thus far. It perfectly blends tragedy and triumph, loss and love, and is incredibly colorful and descriptive. The characters are superbly fleshed out and the book manages to emotionally attach the reader to the book. I felt love for the protagonists and intense hatred towards the antagonists on levels previously undreamed of. It contains a rich mythology and the dialogue is fantastic.

This book has made we weep intensely a
Junifer
I Read this when I was very young and even though the deeper meaning slipped by me, it has always stayed with me. 20+ years later I was lucky to find a second hand copy and read it once again. I still love it, and it moved me even more deeply. Thank you Mr. Kilworth for this wonderful story of foxes. I am so thankful to have a hardcover copy on my bookshelf.
Daisy
soo good. if you love foxes or even just (somewhat anthropomorphised) animals you have to read this.
Stephanie A.
That was pretty powerful. To be honest, it was so graphic and stark at the beginning that I wasn't sure I would give it more than a 3, especially with all the fox religion/myth/lore, which had a flavoring of fantasy that is usually what drives me away from books. However, I was promised this was mostly a realistic novel, and I quickly found that to be true.

It's actually kind of a unique book, very much for adults and not like the scads of old wildlife novels I've downed that were intended for a
Ionatan O'gallaher
For a quite a few years this book was my "holy grail" of sorts. I can'e really remember how I had heard about it, but I knew that I had to read it. I was finally able to track down a copy and was not disappointed. I jokingly refer to this as "The Greatest Book That You've Never Read" because it is a rather obscure title. The story that Kilworth creates is both triumphant and tragic. It does not have a terribly happy ending, but that is the way of life in the animal kingdom. Creating a distinct c ...more
Rena Sherwood
Cute concept -- a fox version of Watership Down. However, many plot points spiral off into nowhere. What was the point of the whole white fox thing? No point at all! Incredibly grim book with a bleak final sentence that I still remember even after reading it years ago.
Leila
This book has been on my shelves for a few years and this is my fifth time of reading. Garry's novel begins with a vixen named O-ha awaiting her very first litter of cubs and her mate. There is a badger named Gar, a lead hound named Breaker and a big vicious dog named Sabre - a ridgeback. At the same time there is Camio an American Red fox caged and longing for his freedom. The same moon (Hunter's Moon) shines down upon them all. If you are a lover of animal stories you will enjoy this wonderful ...more
Anna
'Watership Down' with foxes - that the first thing that springs to my mind. But while 'Watership Down' was focused on rabbits only, with Kehaar as an exception, 'Hunter's Moon' has POVs of different animal species - dogs,badgers, otters, even geese, though the story is focused on foxes.

The story itself is wonderfull and beautifully written. It tells us a lifestory of a vixen named O-ha and her family. Even though O-ha has to face a lot of difficulties, death of her loved ones and hatered of a mu
Joshua
Not sure how to describe this book. It's definetly not a kids book like 'House of Tribes' and I found it a very hard read. In fact I had to force myself to continue reading it, however it's also quite a good story.

Its very depressing but there's something about it which leaves you feeling fairly satisfied by the end, I'm not sure what it was. It's like a Shakespearian tragedy about Foxes.

Hard to recommend, but I wouldn't call it bad.
Anna
Прекрасная книга о прекрасных созданиях, позволяющая взглянуть на мир глазами лис. Взглянуть на их потери и трудности, радости и приобретения, взаимоотношения с людьми и другими животными и на столь быстро и неожиданно меняющуюся жизнь вокруг них. Добрая, светлая, но в то же время тяжелая и жестокая книга, которая действительно может довести до слез, как радости, так и горя. А ведь это лишь история одной лисицы по имени О-Ха...
Heidi Vlach
I recently remembered that I read this book as a teenager, and I tracked down a copy for a fox-loving friend of mine. Can't say I remember every detail of the story, but I recall finding O-Ha's life an interesting one. These foxes have their own social customs and moral quandaries, and their unusual names are a distinct part of their identities. Always something I like to see in an "animal story".
Renee Hall
Reminiscent of Watership Down, in all the best ways, and yet the personal, intimate nature of the story keeps it from feeling derivative. Engrossing, lovely, rich, and entertaining. I was truly sorry when this was over.
Rebekah Rivera
I remember randomly picking this book up at my local library, and reading it all the way through within a few hours. It was one of the best books I've read, and I love how the characters are foxes :)) I'm just upset that the library no longer has a copy of the book... I need to get a copy :)
Linds
The Story is told from the point of view of a fox and follows her life throughout a fox-hunt, development in the area, birth and encouters with humans. I found the descriptions of the foxes mythology and society very interesting, however the dialouge did drag a bit in parts.
Jamie
I HAVE READ THIS BOOK WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I SWEAR THIS IS IT. I adore this book and I really want to reread it.
Lorna
Very different...bloody good. Fantastic idea, very well written and it gets you all emotional about foxes.
Lupuna
Das Beste waren die Dachse. Aber dieser Albino-Assassinen-Fuchs hat mich aufgeregt.
Hugh Reddox
puts you in place as a fox,exciting wildlife trilogy,live as a fox,be a fox.
Rachel (Sfogs)
A very interesting story all written from the point of view of Foxes!
Saturday's Child
It is all about the Foxes!
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Lauren Norman
Lauren Norman marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Graham Grasley
Graham Grasley marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Tristan
Tristan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
  • The Wild Road (The Wild Road, #1)
  • Journeys to the Heartland (The Wolves of Time, #1)
  • Raven Quest
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • Nightshade City (Nightshade Chronicles, #1)
  • The Tygrine Cat
  • The Cold Moons
  • Vulpes the Red Fox
  • Scream of the White Bears
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Swordbird (Swordbird, #1)
  • Ratha's Creature (The Named, #1)
  • The Heavenly Horse From The Outermost West (Heavenly Horse, #1)
  • Silverhair (Mammoth, #1)
  • The Plague Dogs
  • Tarka the Otter
  • The Mob
Garry Douglas Kilworth (born July 5, 1941 in York, England) is a fantasy and historical novelist.

Kilworth is a graduate of King's College London. He was previously a science fiction author, having published one hundred twenty short stories and seventy novels. His most recent books are Brothers of the Blade, a historical war novel set in India, and Attica, a dark quest set in an attic the size of a
More about Garry Douglas Kilworth...
Attica Thunder Oak (The Welkin Weasels, #1) Castle Storm (Welkin Weasels, #2) House of Tribes Windjammer Run (Welkin Weasels, #3)

“Man is not satisfied with just being man. He wants to be everything, all creatures, and still remain himself. Man has unfathomable depths to his goodness and his evil, his intelligence and his ignorance--he is a dark region of wells and wishes to drink at them all.'-- O-kolkol” 10 likes