Start by marking “West End Girls” as Want to Read:
West End Girls

West End Girls

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,296 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
The streets of London are paved with gold ...allegedly. They may be twin sisters, but Lizzie and Penny Berry are complete opposites - Penny is blonde, thin and outrageous; Lizzie quiet, thoughtful and definitely not thin. The one trait they do share is a desire to DO something with their lives, and as far as they are concerned, the place to get noticed is London. Out of th ...more
Published 2006 by Time Warner

To ask other readers questions about West End Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West End Girls

Ginni Brinkley
Sep 30, 2013 Ginni Brinkley rated it did not like it
I was quite enjoying this until the author had Penny used the word 'retard' as a way to run down her sister's dress sense, "come in that dirty thing that makes you look retarded." What is she actually saying? "That thing makes you look as bad as someone with learning difficulties."

Every time people use the word 'retard' in some casual, derogatory context to call people dumb or stupid it degrades and belittles people with intellectual disabilities, and it reinforces painful stereotypes that peopl
Samantha
Nov 06, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for an audio book to keep me entertained on the way to work in the mornings and evenings. This I thought was perfect as full running time is around 3 hours. I thought that this would last me about a week, which it did.

Morwenna Banks, the narrator really brings the story to life, she gets into character very well and managed to keep think up throughout the novel.

Penny and Lizzie are twins and have lived in a council house for most of their lives. Suddenly their luck changes and th
Gayle
Feb 13, 2012 Gayle rated it really liked it
Emily
Mar 01, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok
Ruby
Jan 03, 2015 Ruby rated it it was amazing
From start to finish this was a gripping tale, I could not find the will power within to put the book down. Within ten hours over two days, I had this book read.

I got very attached to the characters in this tale, Lizzie and Penny, identical twins but not similar at all in nature or looks. It is hard not to feel that you can relate to these characters. Lizzie, the larger of the two, what girl doesn’t feel on the larger end of the scale. Penny, the selfish one who is trying to protect herself, I’m
Alison Winter
Jul 16, 2016 Alison Winter rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book but it could have been better in parts, bit too predictable
Sammi McSporran
Feb 10, 2015 Sammi McSporran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. I was looking forward to reading it, on the recommendation of a friend, but it's really not the kind of book I usually go for; very chick-lit.

I can see why Jenny Colgan is a popular author, her books are easy to pick up, with happy, simple storylines and lots of relatable humour. But for me this book was just so filled with cliches it was predictable to the point of almost unenjoyable. I also don't think the book is standing the test of time very w
Fran
Aug 09, 2016 Fran rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teenagers
I'd describe this book in 3 words : short and sweet. :)

You will see throughout the book the good and bad in both sisters and how they change bit by bit.

Even though I expected them to end up like they did after 4 chapters, I still liked it because it had that something.

This book is perfect when you want to relax, laugh or daydream.
Megan A
Dec 12, 2014 Megan A rated it liked it
I picked this book up at the library having never read any Jenny Colgan books (but hearing good things about the author). The plot line seemed enticing - two 'Essex Girls' (Penny and Lizzie) trying to make it in Chelsea but don't find it as they both expected.

Penny has set her eyes on marrying a rich man to take care of her & Lizzie seemingly gets dragged along for the ride. Both end up growing as characters and realise their dreams have changed drastically from their days in Brandford.

We
Bookevin
Jan 15, 2014 Bookevin rated it really liked it
A light-hearted, breezy novel you will definitely enjoy while you're on holiday. A classic beach read you will devour - I know I did.
Lippy
Nov 21, 2014 Lippy rated it did not like it
To be honest...I didn't think much at all....I even skipped a few pages.....then just read it to get it over with....yes, I know it was a 'chick' book, but I feel no better off for reading it, books amuse, inspire, provoke thought, get the emotional train running, blah blah...you get my drift....I won't be thinking of this book long after reading. On the flip side, it's great for those who watch and like Towie or Made in Chelsea....I'm reading Smoke and Mirrors now by Neil Gaiman and all is righ ...more
Jess Collings
Feb 26, 2015 Jess Collings rated it really liked it
Another great book by Jenny. I finished within a day which is always the same for me with her books, I find them easy reading & hard to put down . I loved the characters all very OTT and stereotypical but well written & interesting.

I found the book predictable, early on it was obvious how it would end but I still enjoyed the story & there were a few surprises.

The only dislike I have is the dad character yes I get he is supposed to be a bad runaway dad but his villain role in the bo
Leah
Sep 16, 2009 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2009
West End Girls is my third Jenny Colgan novel after Talking To Addison and Amanda’s Wedding. West End Girls tells the story of Lizzie and Penny Berry who are fed up with life in Brandsford. A way out of their old life comes in the form of their grandmother’s flat in Chelsea so they end up flatsitting whilst their grandmother is in hospital.

I quite enjoyed West End Girls. Mainly because of Lizzie. Had the novel just been about Penny I would have gotten bored of it very quickly. Lizzie and Penny m
Vero
Aug 01, 2013 Vero rated it liked it
This is a beach light book. The plot and everything about it is light and lacks any depth which is good for a quick read.
I flew through the book as I just scanned through most of it. The book could be much shorter in my opinion. However it was entertaining enough for me to finish it.
I liked the story line it was cute about twi sisters who couldn't be more opposite. I honestly dont have much to say about the book except it was ok and entertaining enough to give it 3 stars.
The plot was easy to
Namratha
Sep 19, 2007 Namratha rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Rachel
Shelves: chick-lit
Funny, fresh and bursting with bawdy humour……West-End Girls by Jenny Colgan doesn’t veer far from the time-honoured tradition of Chick-Lit fare.

It is a story about twin sisters as different as chalk and cheese. ‘Hook-A-Rich-Guy-In-60-Seconds’, blonde and beautiful Penny is always at loggerheads with her chubby and shy sibling, Lizzie. The only thing that binds them together is their fondest wish to leave behind the dump that is their current life and move on to bigger and better things.

They ge
Rosemary Kind
Feb 12, 2016 Rosemary Kind rated it really liked it
Early in this book I thought I would be giving it no more than three stars, but it really got under my skin. From disliking the characters I found myself growing to really care about them and enjoy their company. I would say this is the best of Jenny Colgan's that I have read so far and I was sorry to get to the end of it as I was really left wanting to know more of their story.
Trish
Jan 30, 2015 Trish rated it it was ok
I had previously read Rosie Hopkins sweet shop and loved it, so I thought I would read this one as its a newer one. I wish i hadn't, i didn't really gain anything from it and it was predictable. It did flip between the 2 girls very fast so sometimes it was hard to detect whose point of view it was from.

Not a favourite of mine but I like her other books.
Jane
Dec 28, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok
This book was written in 2006, hence reading it now, it is quite dated. Would I have liked it any more if I had read it when it was first published? I'm not sure. After all the TV shows of late such as: The Only Way is Essex or Made In Chelsea, this book is extremely clichéd. I have not watched these shows but six years down the line this book is full of the stereotypes and clichés. As far as chick-lit goes, this is not one of the best, there is not enough humour for me. It has the typical chick ...more
Adrienne
May 26, 2015 Adrienne rated it it was ok
this is the 1st book i have read by Jenny Colgan and i did enjoy it and the story line.....but....i found some of the language quite offensive; using 'retard' and 'ape face' and constantly refering to characters as 'fat' and making them out to be ugly because they were bigger. it just became a little much. big disappointment as other than that i really enjoyed it!
Heather Quigg
Jul 14, 2015 Heather Quigg rated it liked it
It was ok, I guess. I thought it was a bit predictable a lot of the times, however there was a few twists that kept me engaged. The read wasn't as quick as I first anticipated. A nice wee read. I'd recommend this to a 20 - something female, I think a book like this would be right up her street.
Eponine
I loved this, I have to admit at first I thought the writing style of the author was too young for me but once I got into it I found it was a really lovely heartwarming story and a nice escape, I often found myself reaching for it whilst getting stressed about French revision!
Stine
Oct 18, 2014 Stine rated it it was ok
I wasn't crazy about "West End Girls". It was pretty basic and there wasn't much happening. There were a lot of characters, which weren't described as thoroughly as I'd liked so the whole experience became very cursory. The storyline wasn't that interesting.
Rachel Kelly
Aug 14, 2015 Rachel Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story. The book jumped out at me because of the title and my love of theatre. Although it wasn't about the theatre in the slightest I still enjoyed the book and found the characters really interesting and relatable.
I've only read a couple of Jenny Colgan's books so far but I'm looking forward to reading the rest
Becca
Jun 09, 2015 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So lighthearted but truthful and I loved the characters (especially Georges)! It was also a nice quick read after taking 2 weeks to read my previous book. I just enjoyed it a lot!! :D
Giuliana Anastacio
Light and sweet.

A feel-good chick book. No grandiose ending but rather practical and realistic. You keep flicking through pages knowing it's generally a happy piece. I feel sincerely sad for gran though.
Annemieke Windt
Nov 11, 2013 Annemieke Windt rated it it was ok
It's a relative predictable story that Jenny Colgan tells in her novel West End Girls. Twin sisters Lizzie and Penny get the opportunity to live in their grandmothers flat in Chelsea in London. It's a huge transition from the council estate they usually live on. The skinny ambitious sister Penny finds a job in an art gallery and the fat quiet sister Lizzie starts to work in a lunch restaurant and discovers a real passion for food. Penny falls in love with an artist, Lizzie is attracted to her Po ...more
Jodi Wray
Mar 07, 2016 Jodi Wray rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, it was a fantastic summer read, read it very quickly as could not put it down. Very girlie, good chick lit !!! Highly recommended
Marita
Aug 06, 2016 Marita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of two sisters who follow their London dream and get themselves into trouble (many actually). This book was not too bad! 3 out of 5!
Daisy White
Apr 13, 2015 Daisy White rated it liked it
Funny, sweet and perfect beach reading. Predictable but amusing chic lit, with a satisfying ending. One of my fave authors.
Charlotte
Feb 18, 2015 Charlotte rated it liked it
I really liked the story and the characters, it just didn't blow me away. I think this is a great easy read to make you feel warm and fuzzy
  • take a chance
  • Me and Mr Jones
  • Christmas at the Crescent
  • Home Truths
  • Three In A Bed
  • Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings (Dandy Gilver, #9)
  • If I Were You
  • Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife
  • Me and You
Jenny T. Colgan was born in 1972 in Prestwick, Ayrshire, Scotland, UK. After studying at Edinburgh University, she worked for six years in the health service, moonlighting as a cartoonist and a stand-up comic, before the publication of her first novel Amanda's Wedding in 2000. In 2013, her novel "Welcome to Rosie Hopkin's Sweetshop of Dreams" won the Romantic Novel of the Year Award by the Romanti ...more
More about Jenny Colgan...