West End Girls

West End Girls

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  730 ratings  ·  52 reviews
The streets of London are paved with gold ...allegedly. They may be twin sisters, but Lizzie and Penny Berry are complete opposites - Penny is blonde, thin and outrageous; Lizzie quiet, thoughtful and definitely not thin. The one trait they do share is a desire to DO something with their lives, and as far as they are concerned, the place to get noticed is London. Out of th...more
Published 2006 by Time Warner

Gayle
Leah
West End Girls is my third Jenny Colgan novel after Talking To Addison and Amanda’s Wedding. West End Girls tells the story of Lizzie and Penny Berry who are fed up with life in Brandsford. A way out of their old life comes in the form of their grandmother’s flat in Chelsea so they end up flatsitting whilst their grandmother is in hospital.

I quite enjoyed West End Girls. Mainly because of Lizzie. Had the novel just been about Penny I would have gotten bored of it very quickly. Lizzie and Penny m...more
Vero
This is a beach light book. The plot and everything about it is light and lacks any depth which is good for a quick read.
I flew through the book as I just scanned through most of it. The book could be much shorter in my opinion. However it was entertaining enough for me to finish it.
I liked the story line it was cute about twi sisters who couldn't be more opposite. I honestly dont have much to say about the book except it was ok and entertaining enough to give it 3 stars.
The plot was easy to...more
Namratha Kumar
Sep 19, 2007 Namratha Kumar rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rachel
Shelves: chick-lit
Funny, fresh and bursting with bawdy humour……West-End Girls by Jenny Colgan doesn’t veer far from the time-honoured tradition of Chick-Lit fare.

It is a story about twin sisters as different as chalk and cheese. ‘Hook-A-Rich-Guy-In-60-Seconds’, blonde and beautiful Penny is always at loggerheads with her chubby and shy sibling, Lizzie. The only thing that binds them together is their fondest wish to leave behind the dump that is their current life and move on to bigger and better things.

They ge...more
Ginni Brinkley
I was quite enjoying this until the author had Penny used the word 'retard' as a way to run down her sister's dress sense, "come in that dirty thing that makes you look retarded." What is she actually saying? "That thing makes you look as bad as someone with learning difficulties."

Every time people use the word 'retard' in some casual, derogatory context to call people dumb or stupid it degrades and belittles people with intellectual disabilities, and it reinforces painful stereotypes that peopl...more
Jane
This book was written in 2006, hence reading it now, it is quite dated. Would I have liked it any more if I had read it when it was first published? I'm not sure. After all the TV shows of late such as: The Only Way is Essex or Made In Chelsea, this book is extremely clichéd. I have not watched these shows but six years down the line this book is full of the stereotypes and clichés. As far as chick-lit goes, this is not one of the best, there is not enough humour for me. It has the typical chick...more
Samantha Ann
Brilliant book, loved all the twist in the story but glad both the girls for there happy ending. The way Lizzies character developed through the book was amazing. Also Will whole situation was portrayed really well, pleased he won his girl in the end . Shame the story doesn't have a follow up, would like to read more.
Annemieke Windt
It's a relative predictable story that Jenny Colgan tells in her novel West End Girls. Twin sisters Lizzie and Penny get the opportunity to live in their grandmothers flat in Chelsea in London. It's a huge transition from the council estate they usually live on. The skinny ambitious sister Penny finds a job in an art gallery and the fat quiet sister Lizzie starts to work in a lunch restaurant and discovers a real passion for food. Penny falls in love with an artist, Lizzie is attracted to her Po...more
Talei Loto
One those books you pick up at the library and think - yeah okay, I'll give it a go. Later at home, though, regret sinks in fairly quickly. I found the plot weak, the dialogue of supposed 'East-end council estate girls' a little too posh. I realise, this is meant to be fluffy light reads, whatever - but give the characters a little depth. I can only think 'transporting' the sisters to the West End made it easier for the author to write. And I do like fun stories but this wasn't fun for me to wad...more
Amk256
Nice straightforward but interesting story about two twin sisters who moved to Chelsea to live in their Grandmother's flat. Easy read. Great for the beach or in between something heavier. Would recommend A x
Dawn
Easy read for your hols.
Jenna
im really glad i gave this book a chance, considering it wasnt the typical book i read.
unlike most of my books i didnt buy this book it was recommened by a friend, who is obsesed with london.
after reading this book i cant wait to go there next year. The sisters in this book were highly developed characters and even though i got a pride and prejudice vibe off the book it was still original. would recomend to any girl from 19 onwards. a good book about finding your own feet after living with your...more
Sarah Lynch
An easy enough read. I'm giving 3 stars simply because I enjoyed the reading process, and I didn't hate the writing or anything. As for plot, very basic and predictable. I didn't really like how clichéd the main characters were- skinny bitch, fat martyr -but I still enjoyed the ride.
Jacqueline
this book is funny, what ive come to think of as standard colgan,not altogether realistic but funny and engaging all the same. i read this book in a few hours and pretty much forgot about it after that but i did find it entertaining,i liked lizzy and george as characters, found penny a very good 'love to hate' character and although i wouldnt read it again (ive read amandas wedding more times than i care to admit!) i would recommend it.
Kevin I Heart.. Chick Lit
A light-hearted, breezy novel you will definitely enjoy while you're on holiday. A classic beach read you will devour - I know I did.
Claire Simpson
Honestly, I was a little disapointed in this book. I liked the idea, and some of the book was great, but I really didn't like either Lizzie or Penny and so found it quite hard to care what happened to them at all. That said, there were some great moments - who has never wanted to floor a socialite? It was a light and easy read, but not up to Colgan's usual par.
Francesca
May 11, 2012 Francesca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teenagers
I'd describe this book in 3 words : short and sweet. :)

You will see throughout the book the good and bad in both sisters and how they change bit by bit.

Even though I expected them to end up like they did after 4 chapters, I still liked it because it had that something.

This book is perfect when you want to relax, laugh or daydream.
Just the book I needed, a bit of light relief.
Tabs
As usual, Jenny Colgan cracks me up. She writes charcters who are bitchy and flawed and who just make me cackle with glee at their antics. This one's about two twin sisters - one's an awful social climber and one's an awful doormat. I loved that they both smartened up by the end. A fun read.
Larelle
Really loved it. I thought Lizzie was a fab character (one of the twins, the main two characters of the book) and her relationship with Georges kept me hooked, as well as Penny's (the other twin) relationship with Will.

A fab story if you have a love for the West End of London.
Lynda
Due to the new cover,was several chapters into this before I realised I'd read it before but I so enjoyed this book.Yes, the ending all fitted into place rather too easily but the characters were great, really interesting and I love an ending where love conquers all !!A great read.
Bev
Hmmm enjoyed this but found parts of it irritating too - why did one sister have to lose weight before the man of her dreams noticed her (he wasn't exactly skinny himself) & I took mild exception to the intimation that because she was overweight she didn't care about herself.
Deviki
this book was very interesting.....i bought it at the mall while waiting for my mom to finish her's......great book...love the obvious difference between the sisters and the flow of the story....although some of the words i can't quite catch on...but it's a great book
Marina Caner
Not bad, but any of the characters really got me in... just passed.
Lucy
Not much to say about this one, just pretty standard chick-lit fare. Predictable from early on, but strangely satisfying. I read chick-lit to be lazy, and this certainly filled the bill. No great story, no great writting, but an easy comfortable read.
Sami
Warm, funny and sweet. The characters are witty and sometimes funny. Filled with life lessons - good and evil are pretty clear, so it's not a book that makes you think. I enjoyed it as a light fluffy read. Would definitely read more by this author.
Lucy Gascoyne
This book was such a sweet read. I got a free promotional copy from company magazine years ago. It was such a sweet novel, hugely entertaining and a brilliant read. I loved it! Jenny colgan is an iconic chick-lit author 5 stars!
Robyn Drummond
It's so cute! Twins that are complete opposites! And the lovers who fall for them. This is the right kind of romance that shows it doesn't matter who you are or your station in life. You can be loved.
Amina
Ha-ha totally awesome... I love Lizzy but Penny is funny :)
Their Dad is a bastad though :S
Love the fatty who lizzie marries :P
And love Penny and her artists romance twist!
Jane Apperley
A light hearted book written with humour, easy reading. about two twin sisters who move into their Grandmas flat in London while she is in hospital.
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop
  • An Eligible Bachelor
  • Three In A Bed
  • Love Rules
Jenny T. Colgan was born in 1972 in Prestwick, Ayrshire, Scotland, UK. After studying at Edinburgh University, she worked for six years in the health service, moonlighting as a cartoonist and a stand-up comic, before the publication of her first novel Amanda's Wedding in 2000. In 2013, her novel "Welcome to Rosie Hopkin's Sweetshop of Dreams" won the Romantic Novel of the Year Award by the Romanti...more
More about Jenny Colgan...
Meet Me at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #1) Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams Amanda's Wedding Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2) The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris