Start by marking “Golden Age Western Comics” as Want to Read:
Golden Age Western Comics

Golden Age Western Comics

The Wild West has been romanticized in American culture ever since the dime novels capturing the exploits of Jesse James were produced in the years directly following the Civil War, and the Western genre continues to enthrall audiences to this day. The stories of frontiersmen, outlaws, cowboys, Indians, prospectors, and marksmen surviving the harshest of environments ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by powerHouse Books (first published February 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Age Western Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Age Western Comics

David Maine
Mar 28, 2012 David Maine rated it it was ok
Meh. I don't mean to be negative, but... meh. There's not much here except some kitsch-factor eye-rolling. Unlike, say, horror comics from this same ers (1940s and 50s), there are few-to-no moments of genuine surprise or shock or "Man, I can't believe they got away with that back then!" Just fairly pedestrian cowboys & Indians with the expected sexism and racism. Yawn.
Frank
Oct 03, 2016 Frank rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The most interesting thing about the book is the two short introductory essays, which point out, among other things, that these knocked super-hero comics to the brink of extinction after WWII.

These are all selected from the Charlton line of comics, which, as even when I was a kid I knew, produced the lowest quality comics on the market. So....I didn't expect much, and I wasn't let down. Somewhat interesting is the portrayal of Native Americans. It was largely positive, but since these stories w
Matt Kelland
Jul 04, 2016 Matt Kelland rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, westerns
Old-style comics were so different to modern ones: short, shallow, simplistic, and formulaic. I have to admit, most of them weren't actually very good in terms of plot, characters, writing or art, but I had a great afternoon reading them and feeling like I was twelve again.
Regan Sharp
Regan Sharp rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Chris Holmes
Chris Holmes rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
GirlThatsJules
GirlThatsJules rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2015
Hal Johnson
Hal Johnson rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Jayson
Jayson added it
Oct 01, 2012
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
The_Mad_Swede
The_Mad_Swede marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Javier Arredondo
Javier Arredondo marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015