Start by marking “Prey on Patmos: An Inspector Kaldis Mystery” as Want to Read:
Prey on Patmos: An Inspector Kaldis Mystery

Prey on Patmos: An Inspector Kaldis Mystery (Andreas Kaldis #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Saint John wrote the apocalyptic Book of Revelation over 1900 years ago in a cave on Greece's eastern Aegean island of Patmos. When a revered monk from that holy island's thousand year-old monastery is murdered in Patmos' town square during Easter Week, Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis of Greece's Twenty-First Century Special Crimes Division is called upon to find the killer ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published December 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Prey on Patmos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prey on Patmos

Elizabeth
On a dark night early in the Easter Week of the Greek Orthodox Church, part of the body of the larger Eastern Orthodox Church, a saintly monk is cruelly murdered on the winding streets of Patmos, an island in Greece.
The crime was heinous not only because of the nature of the victim but because it happened during a holy time and in a holy place. Patmos is in the eastern Aegean and it is here in a cave almost 2000 years ago that Saint John wrote the apocalyptic Book of Revelation. It has a small p
stormhawk
Mar 16, 2011 stormhawk rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to stormhawk by: netgalley.com
Mysteries can be hit or miss for me as a reader. Some plod along with an occasional interesting plot idea keeping the reader interested, others move along at such a breakneck pace that you forget both where you've been and where you're going. Prey on Patmos does neither of these. The story moves along to a resolution that surprises with unexpected events, and occasionally, forces the reader to drop all expectations of how the story should be told, and thereby enhances the enjoyment.

Prey on Patm
Beth

PREY ON PATMOS is the third book in the Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis series and, like its predecessors, is an entertaining police procedural and an engrossing look at twenty-first century social problems against the background of an ancient culture.

“There was an unusual cadence to the man’s walk. Maybe it was the uneven stone lane. But he’d walked this path ten thousand times, thought not so soon before first light. Still, he knew it well enough. He paused, as if to listen, then moved five pac
Mona
Mr. Siger has a new fan. Me! After finishing the book, I even e-mailed him to say how much I enjoyed it, and that’s something I seldom do. I’m glad I didn’t have to write the cover blurb because there’s no way I could have condensed the action.

The story focuses on religious subterfuge of the highest order and the murder of the priest who tried to thwart it. An unknown murderer is on the loose and Inspector Kaldis must figure out his true motives, yet the priests are strangely reluctant to help
Cathy Cole
In the third book of this excellent series, Jeffrey Siger has two objectives. One, to show Kaldis's deepening relationship with Lila and their impending parenthood, and two, to show the importance of religion in Greece. He succeeds in both cases.

Kaldis is his normal, acerbic self-- more concerned with putting the bad guys behind bars than he is of being politically correct or of avoiding trampling the feelings of others. But that is his work face and not at all the way his relationship is with t
Glen Stansfield
I suppose I am slightly biased towards crime stories as I am writing in the genre, but I have to say I find Jeffrey Siger's writing completely engaging. Not only is the story pacy but his setting of the scene transports the reader to the location. I love Greece and the Greeks and for me to have a detective story set in Greece is as good as it gets.
Choopie
Not quite sure what happened but it seemed that I have finished reading or rather listening to the book. Won't rate it as I didn't quite get the gist of this whodunit.
J.F. Juzwik
Another fantastic Kaldis story. This one is, as are the previous two, full of Greek history (past and present), and rich with descriptions of the islands and its people. The characters are genuine and three-dimensional, and the plot is complex, yet never confusing.

I really enjoy this series because there is so much to learn about Greece and its culture. These do not read like textbooks and are never tedious, and the more you read, the more you learn and the more you want to learn. They are writt
Cristiana Lupu
Wow... I haven't read a book this bad in a long while. Wait... I've never read such a book. It's an unfortunate combination between what I perceive as Danielle Steele novels - what with the plastered in 'sex' scenes - and some very lame crime movie where the cops are swearing and everything turns out as it should be at just the right moment. And the Greek setting... it does show that there was some sort of documentation for it, but IT SHOWS... Which makes me believe that he was trying too hard t ...more
Viji

A nice thriller. It is a quest for Shield offered at the tomb of Achilles by Ulysses. A fast paced one.
Sheila
Andreas is tasked to investigate the murder of a religious leader monk at a remote monastery during holy week.
Doreene
My only complaint - the author needs to mention a few more Greek foods!! Inspector Andreas Kaldis gets caught up in the investigation of the murder of a monk on the island of Patmos. During the investigation we learn a lot about the Eastern Orthodox Church and how it is structured. We also get the feeling of what it is a bit like to visit Greece during Holy Week. This is the third in the series and I'm real anxious to read the fourth which is already out.
Karen
Could be called an ordinary police procedural mystery set in Athens, Mt. Athos and Patmos Island. But I loved the descriptions of the island and am more eager than ever to visit there on our cruise in September. Book is a fast read and it was fun to see the reference to the tourist wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers ball cap - can tell the author is from Pittsburgh! I appreciated the fact that maps of the areas were included.
Stella
It really amazes me how a New York attorney can portray the caracters, the uniquness, the politics of the Greek church in such a realistic fashion.
Having spent a week in a village near the Holy Mountain and refreshing my memory about the history of its twenty monasteries, and having visited the most beautiful island of Patmos, gave me a much better understanding of this book's intricate storyline!!
Bob Bauer
This is the first of Jeffrey Siger's novels I have read. I believe this is the third in the Chief Inspector Kaldis series. Interesting lead character. More interesting was the Greek setting and insights into Eastern Orthodox Church and control they have over parts of Greece. Learned a lot.
Donna
Loved the setting on the Greek islands of Mt. Athos and the hillside monasteries. This is the 3rd in the series and I did not read the first two so I missed a bit of the back story but it did not seem to be too much of a problem.
Lotti Marjai
I loved it!! I bought it in England, and I didn't know if it was a good choice. At the end it turned out, that it's a fantastic crime story about Greece :) The cover is cool too! :) I totaly recommend it!! :)
Harolynne
I love how the author knows Greece, its customs and its people. And the police procedure is true to the country so it isn't the same procedure one would find in the US.
Julie

An excellent read and can thoroughly recommend if you have an interest in mystery / crime or Greece. Still think the first one in the series is the best though.
Denis Barlow
I'm getting to like This series more and more. The combination of believable and likable characters along with the Greek insights makes for a very good read.
Virginia
Great premise. The writing isn't that good, so it probably should be 3 1/2 but I like the premise so much I'm going with the 4.

Toni
Interesting premise, just not particularly well written.
Really enjoyed it, good murder mystery.
Melanie McKissock
Melanie McKissock marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Brian Southworth
Brian Southworth marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Janet
Janet added it
Jan 05, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Issue with ISBN: 9780749952365 5 14 Nov 15, 2013 05:21PM
  • The Crowded Grave (Bruno, Chief of Police #4)
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
  • The Corpse with the Silver Tongue (Cait Morgan #1)
  • Fatal Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #2)
  • The Messenger of Athens
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • Present Darkness (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #4)
  • Wouldn't It Be Deadly (Eliza Doolittle & Henry Higgins Mystery, #1)
  • Gently Does It
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • Lucifer's Tears (Inspector Kari Vaara, #2)
  • The 7th Woman (Paris Homicide, #1)
  • Havana Blue
  • Jade Lady Burning (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #1)
  • A Death in the Family
  • Cursed in the Act
  • Carte Blanche
  • Sail of Stone (Inspector Winter, #6)
The New York Times described Jeffrey Siger's novels as “thoughtful police procedurals set in picturesque but not untroubled Greek locales,” the Greek Press said his work is “prophetic,” Eurocrime called him a “very gifted American author...on a par with other American authors such as Joseph Wambaugh or Ed McBain,” and the City of San Francisco awarded him its Certificate of Honor citing that his “ ...more
More about Jeffrey Siger...

Andreas Kaldis (6 books)
  • Murder in Mykonos (Andreas Kaldis, #1)
  • Assassins of Athens (Andreas Kaldis, #2)
  • Target: Tinos  (Andreas Kaldis, #4)
  • Mykonos After Midnight: A Chief Inspector Kaldis Mystery
  • Sons of Sparta: A Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis Mystery
Murder in Mykonos (Andreas Kaldis, #1) Assassins of Athens (Andreas Kaldis, #2) Target: Tinos  (Andreas Kaldis, #4) Mykonos After Midnight: A Chief Inspector Kaldis Mystery Sons of Sparta: A Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis Mystery