Start by marking “Dead and Buried” as Want to Read:
Dead and Buried

Dead and Buried (Benjamin January #9)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  56 reviews
The new 'Benjamin January' novel from the best-selling author - New Orleans, 1836. When free black musician and surgeon Benjamin January attends the funeral of a friend, an accident tips the dead man out of his coffin - only to reveal an unexpected inhabitant. Just one person recognises the corpse of the white man: Hannibal Sefton, fiddle-player and one of January's closes ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dead and Buried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead and Buried

Rosalind M
As a woman of color and a native New Orleanian, I have always been fascinated by the world so vividly portrayed in the Free Man of Color series. Finding a new book in the series was a happy surprise -- I can only hope more lovers of Benjamin January will become aware that this one exists, since it is not being published or marketed by the same publishing house that released the previous books in the series.

To tell the truth, I found many passages of this book to be too difficult to read in deta
Bibliophile
Charming mystery set in New Orleans in 1836, starring the likable physician and homme de couleur libre, Benjamin January. This is number nine in the series, and I had a hard time keeping track of the characters, but other than that, it worked fine as a stand-alone.

At a funeral for a black man, the coffin turns out to contain the body of a murdered Irishman. This sparks an investigation into murky family secrets, with January following clues through dark alleys and whorehouses. Fast-paced and en
Erin (PT)
I'm a huge fan of the Benjamin January series (truthfully, I'm a fan of all Hambly's works), so when I heard that a British publisher was picking up the series, I was overjoyed. Hambly is one of the very few writers I will buy in hardback, no questions asked, and I sped through Dead & Buried in about a day and a half.

I enjoy Hambly's hand with a mystery; the clues are there to be followed, if embedded and hidden behind screens of historical and informational persiflage and the solving of th
Shirley Schwartz
Man it's been a long time since I read a Benjamin January mystery, and I have missed him. I absolutely love this series, and this book is a winner too. Ms. Hambly brings her era live with this series. This book is set in New Orleans in the year 1836. This is a story of old family secrets, unrequited love and murder and betrayal. The lengths that people would go to keep these family secrets up to and including murder never cease to amaze me. I can't imagine what it was like to live in this societ ...more
Jacqie
Barbara Hambly is on top of her game with her new Benjamin January book. I always enjoy what a sensual writer she is. You can see, hear, smell, and taste the ambiance of nineteenth century New Orleans, with all it's beauty, injustice, and poignancy. We get to find out more about Hannibal's past in this one, and there are many cameos from past books, but not gratuitously. You'll never know the secret of the fencing master Mayerling, for example, if you haven't read the book in which he starred ye ...more
Jamie
I love the Benjamin January mysteries, which are set in 1830's New Orleans. This ninth novel, coming after a 6-year series hiatus, is just as good as the earlier books - Hambly's writing is rich and atmospheric, the setting is fascinating, and January is a wonderful protagonist.

In this novel we finally learn the secrets of Hannibal, the consumptive opium addict with an Irish accent and a classical education.

The French names can be daunting, but don't worry too much about keeping track of all of
Why is this amazing book with a deeply American theme and written by an American author apparently published in Britain instead of here? This, the ninth in a series, is my first exposure to the remarkable Benjamin January, a "free man of color" and brilliant musician and surgeon, who must tread carefully in the dangerous grounds of French creole society of 1836 New Orleans. Technically, this book is a mystery, but it's really an eloquent protrait of a dying society, the nuances of skin tone, and ...more
Elizabeth K.
I've always liked this series a lot, but apparently got out of the habit of periodically checking for new ones, because now there are like twelve or some crazy number, and I was a bit behind.

The broad strokes of the series are that you have this guy who is a free person of color in New Orleans at the beginning of the 19th century, so that is the part that brings in a lot of interesting social and historical information, and he solves murders, in a fairly straightforward yet pleasant genre murder
Goose
Sometimes Hambly introduces too many characters too quickly for me to keep track of and at first this novel did that to me. However, as the story went along I came to know the new characters better and the mystery developed. Some of these situations happened in other books and at first I fought against it but then I decided that Hambly was showing how January must always be prepared as a free man of color living in the south. Always good to read about January, Rose, and Hannibal again. If you ha ...more
Rachel Neumeier
So glad the Benjamen January series of mysteries is still going! There's so much scope in this world, and the characters are so good, that it's hard to see any reason Hambly should stop anytime in the foreseeable future.

Though Benjamen January is still the main character, DEAD AND BURIED focuses more on Hannibal Sefton and we finally learn something about his past life, so that was interesting. I guess it was starting to feel strange that we didn’t know anything about him, come to think of it. I
Kara

The major theme of this story is that of ‘Passing,’ something that provides plenty of conflict since the usual case is when a member of a Minority attempts to pass as a member of the Majority, everyone gets mad.

Members of the Other who are not passing get angry that the person Passing is not proud to BE a member of that ethnicity/race/religion/gender/orientation/etc. There is possibly jealously involved for the Passing member able to “get away with it” or there is anger that Passing is “putting
Doris
A comment in another genre had me searching to see if I had read all of the Benjamin January series. I had read all of the earlier ones, but due to the break the author took from the series, I did not get to read Dead and Buried until now. I am so glad that I returned to this series. (Of course I had to reread a couple of the earlier ones to catch back up on the character!  )

One of the main pluses to the series, and the author’s works in general, is the strong character building and world buil
Elli
I believe this is the eighth one of this series, and not a one has disappointed me. Number 9 is on my hold list at the library. New Orleans is a unique place for being in this country from its history on, and the area that Barbara Hambly has concentrated on is something that an outsider would have a difficult time relating to. It involves the caste system based on degree of racial color and living circumstances and ethnic heritage. This determines the limitations and horizons available to the in ...more
Nikki
It's been far
too long since DEAD WATER, but here is a new book (and a new
publisher) for Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January.

It's late summer (that is, about now) in New Orleans in 1836. January,
a free man of color, trained as a physician in Paris but has been
making his living as a musician since returning to New Orleans. As the
story opens, he's playing in the funeral band for a fellow musician.
Also playing is fiddler Hannibal Sefton, the only white man in New
Orleans who treats January as an equal;
Nick
This entire series is a genuine blend of historical fiction, centered on 1830s Louisiana, and murder mysteries, at a time when police investigation was in its infancy.
Centering on Benjamin January, a free African American who has watched New Orleans turn from a more tolerant French city into a more repressive city of the "new" American south, he again must turn his powers of observation on a strange murder case that also involves a missing body and the hidden past of his friend Hannibal.
This vol
Julie
These are not the Vampire stories that Barbara Hambly is known for. These are mysteries featuring a free black man in mid-1800 New Orleans. I picked up the first in the series years ago when visiting New Orleans, and got hooked. I had read all 7 in the series, but when we moved to Utah I gave them away. Sorry I did now. Hambly hadn't written a new book in the series since 2004, then all of a sudden she has come out with 2 more plus another in the works. Books in this series are hard to find -- n ...more
Bonnie
Excellent historical mystery set in 18th century New Orleans. The author presents a complex and subtly nuanced picture of the relations between the racially blended communities. Not for the faint of heart; though the main characters never let you down, the setting is often gruesome in it's realism.
Virginia
I have recommended the Benjamin January series to many friends, and have read every book as soon as I could get my hands on it. Hambly does a masterful job of recreating a colorful New Orleans during a tumultous time. However, this book just didn't measure up. The only reason I plowed through it was I figured it had to get better at some point. It did, but just barely. The plot was convoluted though many of the elements were predictable - in every book, January leaves NO to traipse through swamp ...more
robyn
I love this whole series. This is not my favorite entry - Hambly always introduces a big cast of characters, and I sometimes completely lose track of who's doing what. It doesn't matter. It's a fabulous evocation of time and place, namely New Orleans from the viewpoint of a free man of color. I love it. It was a complicated place to live, and Hambly makes it come alive.

This book finally fills in a little back-history for Hannibal Sefton, the opium addicted Irish fiddle player, and about time, to
Kim
I've been waiting to read this book for a long time and when I saw the Kindle version was only $4 I couldn't resist buying it. I read it pretty much in a day with only a couple of breaks. I'd forgotten how much I love this series about a free man of color in 1830s New Orleans.

I would say that this book isn't quite as good as some of the others in terms of the mystery, but it's still really enjoyable. I really appreciated, although this is something that occurs throughout the series, the way it
Unwisely
I read this immediately after the previous book in the series, and Hambly is such a wonderful author I didn't feel like I had overdone it.

We finally (FINALLY!) find out something about Hannibal's mysterious past. And learn that despite his years in New Orleans, he still doesn't quite grok Certain Things.

The one thing I found a little disappointing was the underground railroad stuff which had been such a big deal at the end of the previous book was completely unremarked upon in this one. Hopeful
Rebecca Huston
A terrific entry in the series, with a body switched in a coffin, family secrets, Hannibal Sefton's past, passing for white in the pre-Civil War south, and lots of little details that brings New Orleans to life. While it is not necessary to have read the previous novels to enjoy this one, it does help. Five stars overall, and very much recommended for fans of the series.

For the longer review please go here:
Heather
I was so happy to get reacquainted with Benjamin January and 19th-century New Orleans. It's always fascinating to learn about the shifting rules of society among the different groups of people who lived there whether influenced by French, Spanish, Caribbean, African, or American government and mores. Barbara Hambly always does her research and manages to bring the 1830s to life in full-color. Plus, we get to learn a little more about mysterious Hannibal's history this time.
Jenny
I love the Barbara Hambly series about Benjamin January. This book, the latest in the series, does not disappoint, but it is not of the same caliber of the earlier books in the series. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars if I could because it is well written, moves at a fast pace, and, as the other books in this series, it paints such a vivid and fascinating picture of 1860s New Orleans that it just comes to life in my mind with the scents, sounds and sights.
Melinda
I have read all this series now. Such interesting historical fiction, very complex, very tangled story line, a free slave in New Orleans, surgeon, musician who solves mysteries. Not for the faint of heart, complicated reading, sometimes hard to follow, between the French, the multitudes of characters, and the complex plot it takes concentration! In have grown to like and appreciate Benjamin and Rose and Hannibal, and have enjoyed this series.
Jessica
Possibly my favorite so far! I've always had secret crushes on Irish violinist Hannibal Sefton and on the hygenically challenged Lieutenant Shaw, and here's a book where both of them feature prominently. Some of Hannibal's mysterious past comes to light, and Shaw has plenty of time to drawl and spit! YAY! (Yes, I'm a weirdo. Thanks.)

But all in all: one of her best. Taut plotting, excellent mystery, wonderful characters.
scarlettraces
enjoyable and informative as ever (everything i know about new orleans i've learnt from this series and Treme) but for some reason the January series persist in being my least favourite Hambly. except for the one about Mary Lincoln which i didn't even finish since i couldn't get through it in the lending period. but highly recommended for fans of historical whodunnits. Rose is a fantastic character.
Celeste Livingston
I love this series. It is beautifully written and there's much good history in them. I learned much about the lives of free men and free women of color who lived in and around New Orleans in the 19th century. The main character is a doctor and a musician, so has many adventures. I chose to read the books in the order in which they'd been written. It's also a mystery series.
Joann
Its interesting to read about the levels of society in New Orleans in the 1800s. Its a murder mystery with a musician who is also a physician but must work as a musician as he is not accepted by the white community. His white friend Hannibal is much involved in this new mystery. Its interesting about the prejudice of the whites and the fairly white folks..
Mary
Once I got acquainted with the many characters and their distinctions (creole,French, black, and white) I was intrigued by the plot and determined to find the answers to the mystery. Many details caused it to be a slow read for the first third of the book, but I was compelled by the good characterization, plot twists and exceptional description.
  • A Marked Man (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #2)
  • A Foreign Affair (Liberty Lane, #1)
  • A Visible Darkness (Hanno Stiffeniis, #3)
  • Rag and Bone (Billy Boyle World War II, #5)
  • City of Silver: A Mystery
  • We Shall Not Sleep (World War I, #5)
  • Strange Images of Death (Joe Sandilands, #8)
  • Pelagia and the Red Rooster (Sister Pelagia Mysteries, #3)
  • Circle Of Shadows (Crowther and Westerman, #4)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • Wings of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Caveat Emptor (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #4)
  • Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...
Children of the Jedi (Star Wars) Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1) The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)