Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 40 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one smart word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart.

Are you often stumped for the perfect way to say or write s...more
Published November 8th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

Loren
"Cacophony.... Defenestrate... Harangue... Pedantic. These are words I use regularly.... ha! Erudite? Histrionics? Galvanize?"

"Yeah, that's why people find you pedantic, you erudite!"

"Oh please! We all have our chosen vernacular!"

"Yeah, douche vernacular!"

Yes, I admit it. I actually picked up this book. Just as I picked up every Cliff Notes I could get my hands on so I could read Shakespeare in middle school without suffering an anuerism. Those were the days!

I believe there's no harm in our you...more
Lillian Hong
To be honest, I dislike Grammar Girl with a passion. She makes grammar mistakes of her own in the book, and in no way deserves to be called "Grammar Girl."
Angela
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart is filled with interesting words. Each one is clearly defined but not with the clinical precision of a dictionary. Instead, Mignon Fogarty provides interesting background on the origins of most of the words and gives concrete examples of how the usage may have changed over time. Each word is also accompanied by a quotation or two showing it being used correctly. These quotations were very fun to read and their sources ranged from journalists to politicians...more
cathbodua59
Won this Book in a Raffle Draw at a Nanowrimo Event. Is a very good Book. Teaches us New Words and Proper Grammar in how each word should be used. Knew most of The Words in this Book; but, learning proper usage is a Gold Mine!
Brandielle
Jan 29, 2012 Brandielle marked it as couldn-t-get-through  ·  review of another edition
There is a way to make a dictionary interesting but this isn't it. Also, no pronunciation guide so you can learn the words to feel smart but then sound like an idiot saying them.
Keanna Lewis
I think that this book will be really good to read, because it seems like it gives a cool and easy, plus fun way to learn to expamd our vocabulary.
Madison
I only wish there was more than 101 words! these books are so helpful, creative, and quirky!
Jaclyn
Dec 07, 2011 Jaclyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Soooooo up my alley. I need to get my fingers and eyes all over this!
Tahira Syed
Tahira Syed marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jennifer Olson
Jennifer Olson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Clara
Clara added it
Jun 14, 2014
Emma Byer
Emma Byer marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Becky Lynch
Becky Lynch marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Sneezep
Sneezep marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Yunaine
Yunaine marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Jason Rogers
Jason Rogers marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Silvia Tavares
Silvia Tavares marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • Socrates: A Man for Our Times
  • The Book on Writing: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Well
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • Unfair Advantage: The Power of Financial Education
  • Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • The Seasons of Life
  • Comedy Writing Secrets: The Best-Selling Book on How to Think Funny, Write Funny, Act Funny, And Get Paid For It
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • Wordcatcher: An Odyssey into the World of Weird and Wonderful Words
  • I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
  • Verbatim: From the bawdy to the sublime, the best writing on language for word lovers, grammar mavens, and armchair linguists
  • The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • ادرس بذكاء وليس بجهد
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...
Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students Grammar Girl's 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master in No Time