Start by marking “Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 40 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one smart word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart.

Are you often stumped for the perfect way to say or write s
Published November 8th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart is filled with interesting words. Each one is clearly defined but not with the clinical precision of a dictionary. Instead, Mignon Fogarty provides interesting background on the origins of most of the words and gives concrete examples of how the usage may have changed over time. Each word is also accompanied by a quotation or two showing it being used correctly. These quotations were very fun to read and their sources ranged from journalists to politicians ...more
"Cacophony.... Defenestrate... Harangue... Pedantic. These are words I use regularly.... ha! Erudite? Histrionics? Galvanize?"

"Yeah, that's why people find you pedantic, you erudite!"

"Oh please! We all have our chosen vernacular!"

"Yeah, douche vernacular!"

Yes, I admit it. I actually picked up this book. Just as I picked up every Cliff Notes I could get my hands on so I could read Shakespeare in middle school without suffering an anuerism. Those were the days!

I believe there's no harm in our you
Lillian Hong
To be honest, I dislike Grammar Girl with a passion. She makes grammar mistakes of her own in the book, and in no way deserves to be called "Grammar Girl."
Ami Iida
May 28, 2015 Ami Iida rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: learning English
Shelves: language
learning 101 words from the etymology
I reference English conversation and Grammar by the e-book and the podcast.
Got this with another of her books, and figured it'd be a quick little read. It was witty and fun, but I found the word selection a little pedestrian.
Some of the words are rarely used, but the book provides clear explanations that are easily understood. However, I think I will forget, or already have forgotten, most of them without periodic reviews.
Jan 29, 2012 Brandielle marked it as couldn-t-get-through  ·  review of another edition
There is a way to make a dictionary interesting but this isn't it. Also, no pronunciation guide so you can learn the words to feel smart but then sound like an idiot saying them.
Keanna Lewis
I think that this book will be really good to read, because it seems like it gives a cool and easy, plus fun way to learn to expamd our vocabulary.
I only wish there was more than 101 words! these books are so helpful, creative, and quirky!
Dec 07, 2011 Jaclyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Soooooo up my alley. I need to get my fingers and eyes all over this!
MaryamAyman marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Sweet Van Loan
Sweet Van Loan marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Mrs G
Mrs G marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Lawrien marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Noor Barotchi
Noor Barotchi is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2015
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Gavin marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Wendy marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Ȝmman Saqqaf
Ȝmman Saqqaf marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Samuel Myers
Samuel Myers is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2015
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Alexis Marquet
Alexis Marquet marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Alicia White
Alicia White marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
SharonWatson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Sai Swaroop Thati
Sai Swaroop Thati marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done (HBR Guide Series)
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • Socrates: A Man for Our Times
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version (CEV)
  • The Book on Writing: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Well
  • الكتاب الكبير للأشياء الصغيرة
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • Guys Like Girls Who . . .
  • Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.
  • Choose the Life You Want: The Way to Lasting Happiness Moment by Moment
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Taste Berries for Teens: Inspirational Short Stories and Encouragement on Life, Love, Friendship and Tough Issues
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...