Start by marking “Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 40 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one smart word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart.

Are you often stumped for the perfect way to say or write s
Published November 8th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Angela
Nov 13, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart is filled with interesting words. Each one is clearly defined but not with the clinical precision of a dictionary. Instead, Mignon Fogarty provides interesting background on the origins of most of the words and gives concrete examples of how the usage may have changed over time. Each word is also accompanied by a quotation or two showing it being used correctly. These quotations were very fun to read and their sources ranged from journalists to politicians ...more
Loren
Jan 08, 2012 Loren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language-study
"Cacophony.... Defenestrate... Harangue... Pedantic. These are words I use regularly.... ha! Erudite? Histrionics? Galvanize?"

"Yeah, that's why people find you pedantic, you erudite!"

"Oh please! We all have our chosen vernacular!"

"Yeah, douche vernacular!"

Yes, I admit it. I actually picked up this book. Just as I picked up every Cliff Notes I could get my hands on so I could read Shakespeare in middle school without suffering an anuerism. Those were the days!

I believe there's no harm in our you
Lillian Hong
Nov 27, 2011 Lillian Hong rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I dislike Grammar Girl with a passion. She makes grammar mistakes of her own in the book, and in no way deserves to be called "Grammar Girl."
Ami Iida
May 28, 2015 Ami Iida rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: learning English
Shelves: language
learning 101 words from the etymology
I reference English conversation and Grammar by the e-book and the podcast.
Ryan
Feb 24, 2015 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Got this with another of her books, and figured it'd be a quick little read. It was witty and fun, but I found the word selection a little pedestrian.
CKE387
Odd thing - for a book that is supposed to make you sound smart, it didn't include a pronunciation guide/key!
Jennifer Worrell
Okay, so some of these are not particularly odd words; some I hear pretty frequently. But it was fun to see which words I could use in my current project, then write a new sentence with each of them.
Candy
Aug 26, 2015 Candy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the words are rarely used, but the book provides clear explanations that are easily understood. However, I think I will forget, or already have forgotten, most of them without periodic reviews.
Brandielle
Jan 29, 2012 Brandielle marked it as couldn-t-get-through  ·  review of another edition
There is a way to make a dictionary interesting but this isn't it. Also, no pronunciation guide so you can learn the words to feel smart but then sound like an idiot saying them.
Keanna Lewis
I think that this book will be really good to read, because it seems like it gives a cool and easy, plus fun way to learn to expamd our vocabulary.
Madison
Dec 02, 2011 Madison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only wish there was more than 101 words! these books are so helpful, creative, and quirky!
Jaclyn
Dec 07, 2011 Jaclyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Soooooo up my alley. I need to get my fingers and eyes all over this!
Rachel
Muriel Collins
Muriel Collins rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2016
Amy Heap
Amy Heap rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
منة الله
منة الله marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
marina corinne butler
marina corinne butler marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Heather Mitchell
Heather Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Princess
Princess is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2016
Susan Richardson
Susan Richardson rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Doc
Doc marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
N J
N J rated it it was ok
May 14, 2016
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Chaimaab
Chaimaab marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Hart Gombe
Hart Gombe marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Boyvee
Boyvee marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done (HBR Guide Series)
  • Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • Taste Berries for Teens: Inspirational Short Stories and Encouragement on Life, Love, Friendship and Tough Issues
  • Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.
  • The Book on Writing: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Well
  • Christopher Columbus  ( Seri Tokoh Dunia 3 )
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version (CEV)
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--And How to Avoid Them
  • Socrates: A Man for Our Times
  • The Scene Book: A Primer for the Fiction Writer
  • Guys Like Girls Who . . .
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...