Start by marking “Deep Dish” as Want to Read:
Deep Dish

Deep Dish

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  7,501 ratings  ·  698 reviews
Chef extraordinaire Gina Foxton doesn't expect anything to be handed to her on a platter. After years of hard work, the former runner-up Miss Teen Vidalia Onion is now the host of her own local Georgia public television show called Fresh Start, and she's dating the show's producer.

But when her show gets canceled, and she catches her boyfriend in flagrante delicto with the
Paperback, Large Print, 608 pages
Published February 26th 2008 by HarperLuxe (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Dish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Dish

Bark's Book Nonsense
Regina is a 29 year old cooking show host who has worked her butt off to get where she is in life. She's having a lovely affair with her production manager and life is simply perfect. Blech. Fortunately (for me who is bored to tears at this point) it comes tumbling down when he decides to hop in bed with the wife of the show's main sponsor & they can the show. Not too bright of a guy. Now Gina, at the ripe old age of 29, has lost her guy and her show and fears she'll lose her home which she ...more
Lori
I'm a big fan of Mary Kay Andrews but this book completely fell flat for me. I never once cared about the two main characters and it seemed like the book went on and on and the "boom" all of the sudden boy loves girl. Um....what??? When did that happen?
It's an ok read, not terrible, but absolutely not worth the $25 hardback price tag!
Kristin Groves
This book was a disappointment compared to other books that I have read by Mary Kay Andrews (Savannah Blues is my favorite). She is, by no means, an author of literature with a "big L", but her novels are generally less generic and predictable. However, it would still fulfill a desire for an easy, light-hearted read and you do get some cooking tips throughout the read and a couple of Ol' Southern Favorite recipies at the end. Maybe the Tomato Soup Cake recipe will improve my rating.
Paul Pessolano
I must start off with the fact that Mary Kay Andrews, aka Kathy Hogan Trochek, is one of my favorite authors. She writes about the South, and primarily southern Georgia. Her books are delightful reads that the reader can lose themselves in. They are easy reads that combine southern living and traditions, interspersed with some laughter, and maybe a little mystery.

"Deep Dish" tells the story of Gina Foxton who is the star of a cooking show, Fresh Start, in Atlanta. She discovers her show is being
Adam
Post listen review: Not the best and not the worst of the lame romances that I have been forced to listen to. It's really hard to go through all the audiobooks in the library without getting a LOT of romance in there.

Here is the plot such as it is. Two chefs are in competition to become the next star of The Cooking Channel (because the name the Food Network was already taken). One is a woman who has just had her heart broken by her scumbag producer that cheated on her and lost her the sponsor o
Ani
Nov 04, 2009 Ani rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone

This is one of my favorite Mary Kay Andrews books. I feel like with this book she went back to her original format of the sassy, southern gal though involved in turmoil is surrounded by a vivid array of characters who will help her get out of her funk.

Plus it's all about food! Though I wish the main character who is a chef would have eaten a bit more often. I understood that since she works in the food business she probably gets tired of sampling all the time. Though I doubt I would be.

Funny an
Robialice
Fluffy fun chick lit. I take issue with the man and woman falling so quickly in "love", c'mon, can't he just say he's interested in her? Noooo...after a couple weeks of a completely antagonistic relationship, he's in love. C'mon, that's not real. It's so bad, it's not even good fiction!

The "Next Food Network Star" type plot device made for a fun backdrop, but feels hackneyed as all the characters view a cooking show contest as new and innovative. Maybe if it were 1998 not 2008 it would be.

A fun
Nadeen
Let me start with a disclaimer: i don't mind a predictable plot if there are other elements that make a book more ...

Because I had fun listening to Savannah Blues, I put this one in my audio queue. After the first 10 minutes, I knew where it was headed and how it would end. It was a fun listen - a slight book,an audio book equivalent of a bathtub book, so I gave it two stars and held myself back from tossing it over the side of a row boat.. The plot- there was one- was supported by characters w
Alexis
Eh. I probably won't be reading anymore of her books. While I appreciated the easiness of this read I disliked every single character in the book. They were all whiny, immature or just vapid. That's a lie. I liked Moonpie, the English Setter. He reminded me of one of my dogs and showed more personality than his owner, Tate Moody. I was also put off by the obnoxious "dialect" (and I use that term loosely) the author used for her characters. "Daggunnit" is not a word many southerners spout out and ...more
Gail Cooke
You don't have to be a foodie to enjoy this lightly romantic, often laughable look behind the scenes at a television cooking show. Couldn't be more contemporary although, of course, fictionalized by the busy pen of Mary Kay Andrews (Blue Christmas, Hissy Fit, Little Bitty Lies, etc). Fans know that she delivers on-target often tongue-in-cheek looks at her characters and situations - fun listening and reading!

I thoroughly enjoyed Isabel Keating's narration of "Hissy Fit" and wrote, "...is a fun,
May
May 21, 2010 May rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: food tv fans, set in the south fiction fans
The whole set up - A battle of the sexes between two southern cooking show hosts, and the way we're shown how they're SO compatable if only they'll simmer down and see... well it had my hopes exceptionally high that this could be "the one". The next favorite added to my all-time best list.

I made my guess as to what would happen, it did EXACTLY. So predictability is high here, but that wasn't the problem for me. I wanted it to go where it did, that was fine.

The problem is that the book doesn't
Iowa City Public Library
I enjoy Mary Kay Andrews books. They are set in the South, have quirky but lovable characters, and are funny. My brain doesn’t have to work very hard when I’m reading a Mary Kay Andrews book, and some days that’s just what I need. Andrews takes a break from the BeBe/Weezie stories and cooks up a "dish" that will make fans of television cooking shows smile.

Gina Foxton is the host of the regional cooking show Fresh Start. There is a strong regional following for the show and it catches the attent
Kristen
I was highly impressed by this novel, and also by how much I was invested in their lives by the middle of it. By the end, all I could think about was how I didn't want to finish the book because I didn't want it to end.
My only complaint about the whole book is that I didn't feel Gina and Tate were developed enough. Yeah, we know what their physical appearances are, but I wanted to know more about Gina, so that I could put myself a little more in her place and relate to her.

When I first started
Meredith
Cute. Reality cooking show with some romance. Fun and foodie, and who cares if it was realistic. Good for housework-listening.

Abridged audio, read by Isabel Keating, who I thought made a Southern gay black man sound like Rosie Perez, and had other interesting takes on character dialect, but was good in straight narration/main female parts, and she's been a finalist for an Audie so what do I know.
Allison Severson
Love her books. Funny, light, a perfect addition to your beach bag or when you want a really light read, a total chick-flick. Also love that most are culturally situated in the south. Can't wait to go to Savannah someday, as Savannah Breeze and Savannah Blues have me intrigued. This is the story of two small-time TV-chefs, who get the chance to compete for a spot on a bigger network. She always includes southern recipes after the epilogue, though I've never tried them.
Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson
I always enjoy Mary Kay Andrews's light books. They are the perfect beach read for me and that's where I buy them and have them--at the beach! The plots are all pretty similar with a plucky heroine and who doesn't like a plucky heroine? The differences are in the trials and tribulations our heroine faces and the locale. The locales are one of the best things about these novels as they are loving descriptions of different places in the south. In Deep Dish our plucky heroine has dreams of getting ...more
Jo
I enjoyed this book. It's a bit different from the usual design and antiquing books she writes. This is a perfect book for any reality TV fans. You will pick up some good cooking tips, too. Once again, I fell in love with Moonpie the dog. He's my favorite! Stranded on a island was a page turner for me. Great book to read and relax.
Carrie
From the very beginning, I knew what would happen and who would end up together, BUT it was so cute and fun to read anyway! This is a perfect book to read when you want to take your mind off of other stuff and just escape...I love these kinds of cutesy books when I'm in the mood for them.
Carmela Bourgeois
Christina
Not my favorite book of hers (hard to compete with the Savannah series) but a good read overall. I didn't give it a four because about halfway in it started to ramble and I wondered how an editor could have helped it out a little. Of course, I'd still like to meet the "Tatester" in person!!
I don't have anything against this book, but reading it after The Glass Castle and before Atonement, I couldn't really get past the "fan fiction"-ness of it. Natty Lite? "I Love You" out of the blue? It was fun to read about what they cooked, but I think I like a meatier book :)
Chris Inman
I have to admit, I am loving Mary Kay Andrews. This book combined my two personal favorites, cooking and books. With that said, while I adore Ms. Andrews writing, this book had characters within it that, while I managed to connect with them, due to Ms. Andrews wonderful art of writing characters, the connection was not.....great.

But this is why I adore Ms. Andrews so much and find it insanely difficult to put down her books when I start them. She writes with a wealthy ability to create characte
Lilac Wolf
A Lilac Wolf and Stuff Review

I accidentally read this twice. As a home cook, I loved the cooking show angle. Regina has a show on Public TV, Tate has one on a Southern channel. They are pitted against each other by the Cooking Channel...can you say Food Network?

Regina is in a pickle, her show is over and this is her one chance to save her career. So I felt really bad for her. Plus her and Tate have some incredible chemistry - everyone knows it.

I like how strong Regina is. She breaks up with Sco
Debra
Probably my least favorite of her books, this one is more a romantic caper set in the world of food tv and reality shows. Light, quick, enjoyable....if it wasn't so big it would be a good beach book.
Angie
Synopsis: "After years of hard work, Gina Foxton, chef extraordinaire and former runner-up Miss Teen Vidalia Onion, is hosting her own show, Fresh Start, on Georgia public television. She's also dating the producer. But when Fresh Start goes bad—and her boyfriend is caught in flagrante delicto with the boss's wife—Gina decides it's time to pursue bigger dreams. Namely a gig on national television.

Gina knows she's destined to be the Cooking Channel's next superstar. But the execs also have their
Kerry
As usual, cute story with fun southern details and characters. I have a hard time giving chick lit more than a 3. This one is around 3.5 for me.
HK
Tate and Regina, both cook of cooking shows on small network. They meet at a studio, cause each other troubles, but were seen by a big network producer. To win a big network cooking show they end up doing a food fight on an island, ending up fighting three matches. Tate let Regina win the third one. They were stuck on a smaller island, stranded by themselves for one evening. Tate was a bit too namaike for my taste. Regina had some hung-ups of her own, not able to fully opening up to someone. Reg ...more
Rachel
fluffy chick-lit
Misty
Beth
I must confess that I did not enjoy this one as much as the other Mary Kay Andrews books that I've read. There weren't really any surprises and you never really learn much about Gina. She should have been madder, happier, lower, higher, instead, she was kind of milk toast. When Tate Moody showed up, I knew immediately that he would become Gina's love interest--though I don't really know what he saw in her.

I expected more trouble from Val, more interference from Scott, and more scheming on the p
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • Bulls Island
  • Mrs. Perfect
  • Some Nerve
  • Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch
  • The Ex-Debutante
  • Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2)
  • My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)
  • Revenge of the Kudzu Debutantes (Kudzu Debutantes, #1)
  • The Hot Flash Club
  • The Fortune Quilt
Andrews has a B.A. in newspaper journalism from The University of Georgia. She is a former reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. While a reporter in Savannah, GA, she covered the real-life murder trials which were the basis of the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

She also writes the Callahan Garrity Mystery series and the Truman Kicklighter Mystery series under the pen name Ka
More about Mary Kay Andrews...
Summer Rental Hissy Fit Savannah Blues (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #1) The Fixer Upper Savannah Breeze (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #2)