Start by marking “How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,” as Want to Read:

How To Bake is as necessary and essential as a good oven; it is the most comprehensive and accessible guide to baking available in English. In a single, illustrated volume, Nick Malgieri, one of America's preeminent bakers and baking teachers, leads cooks through the simple art of creating an international assortment of delicious sweet and savory baked goods. Here are the ...more
Published September 21st 1995 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about How to Bake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Bake

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
125th out of 1,012 books — 998 voters

More lists with this book...

Sue
Nov 21, 2015 Sue rated it liked it
Perhaps the only bakery recipe book you'll ever need? This giant tome is filled to the brim with every imaginable recipe for anything ever baked, almost. Too bulky to use in the kitchen, copy a few favorites and send it back to the library. While the recipes are well put together, not every thing is pictured (well nigh impossible with a thousand recipes), and the items pictured are flat and uninspiring. I'd keep it on a shelf if only to have something that includes everything you may ever want t ...more
Blecy Ong
Apr 23, 2016 Blecy Ong rated it really liked it
This is a great little cookbook that is centered on how to bake sweet foods. The recipes are all very clear and easy to understand, with ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store. If you're a new cook, or an experienced one, you will find this book informative.
Yaaresse
May 09, 2016 Yaaresse rated it really liked it
This must have sat on my bookshelf for a decade before I actually made anything from it. One day I was trying to figure out why a dough wasn't behaving the way I thought it should and, after trying every other book I owned, reached for this one. Not only did I solve the problem with the recipe from this book, but I realized I had overlooked a real gem of a baking book. It gets a LOT more use now.
Wendy
Apr 02, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Best ever cookbook - the ins and outs of baking, why different flours matter, how to make a good tart, several different types of pie dough (and when and where to use them) - and oh, oh the cakes!

I buy a copy of this book for all my friends when they first get their very own kitchen. I hope it never goes out of print.
Jean
Apr 03, 2011 Jean rated it it was amazing
WONDERFUL, I kept wondering why certain things were "failing" in the kitchen, he breaks it down to the most basic level, gives you a little history on it and then you can successfully figure out where you went wrong in the past.
amy
May 31, 2009 amy rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The explanations are clear, accessible, and well-written, which I've found hard to come by in a baking book thus far. The Maryland Brownies are the bomb diggity. Yes.
Teresa
Mar 17, 2009 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
made my first ciabatta and focaccia from this book. Both turned out wonderfully. Very talented baker and easy to learn from his cookbook style.
Janna
Oct 14, 2009 Janna rated it liked it
I read this while I'm eating breakfast and having coffee in the AM. Trying to get over my antipathy to baking stuff...
Monica
Apr 22, 2007 Monica rated it liked it
i Really, Really like my aunt's convection oven. eveyone should have one.
Christa
Jan 05, 2009 Christa rated it liked it
very nice, easy to follow, found a few 'keepers' for christmas
Asia
Debbie
Apr 23, 2012 Debbie added it
great!
Babychoux Choux
Babychoux Choux rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
gungun
gungun marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Joanna West
Joanna West marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Cody Roberts
Cody Roberts marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Franqui Jones
Franqui Jones rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Arleen Stovall
Arleen Stovall marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Dona Scott
Dona Scott rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Mary Bishop
Mary Bishop rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
FeliciaB
FeliciaB rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Connie Hathaway
Connie Hathaway rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Alexandria
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Nicholas Karonji
Nicholas Karonji marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • The Dean and DeLuca Cookbook
  • The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, and Science of Good Cooking
  • Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes from Around the World
  • The Splendid Table
  • The Old World Kitchen: The Rich Tradition of European Peasant Cooking
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • More From Magnolia: Recipes from the World Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers