Start by marking “Unlawfully Wedded Bride” as Want to Read:
Unlawfully Wedded Bride

Unlawfully Wedded Bride (The O’Brien Family Saga #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  311 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Kate O'Brien can't believe her ears. She's been married, by proxy, to a man she's never met, thanks to her young siblings' meddling! Kate offers her "groom" room and board at her farm until the annulment is granted—nothing more. After all, what else could this predicament be but a blunder that needs fixing?Nathan Rutledge arrives on Kate's doorstep, seeking a fresh start—w ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Unlawfully Wedded Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlawfully Wedded Bride

Christina
Sep 19, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, love-inspired
Noelle Marchand has written a wonderful debut novel. For someone so young, she has written about deep spiritual issues and family dynamics. I think that the author has an exciting writing career ahead of her.
Katie
Nov 07, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Often in a love story the size of Unlawfully Wedded Bride, the romance is not very realistic—at least, not realistic that the characters could become so ‘madly in love’ so quickly. But, delightfully, that was not the case in Noelle Marchand’s debut novel. Unlawfully Wedded Bride.

Kate, Nathan, Ellie, Sean, Lawson…they all made for a wonderful, fun, and endearing cast of characters. After the death of their parents, Kate takes on the responsibility of ru
Ponch
Oct 15, 2011 Ponch rated it liked it
Shelves: first-read
I enjoyed this book. It had enough going on that it held my attention. My only complaint, and it is a small one, is that the signing of the Affidavit didn't seem realistic.

I too wish that it said what happened to Lawson but I am guessing that will be told in the next book in this series. I hope that at some point there is a book about him.
Nina
Aug 24, 2011 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, clean down to earth, great story line, Great characters. the only thing I didn't like about it is that fact the author did not say what happened to Larson, I was hoping he would stay where he was.
Noelle Marchand
Oct 09, 2011 Noelle Marchand rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-that
Hi! I'm the author of Unlawfully Wedded Bride. This is the first book in the (unofficial) series about the O'Brien family.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about it. Rate and review to your heart's content!
Angief
Jan 18, 2012 Angief rated it really liked it
Good, easy to read book. I enjoyed the story line and thought the characters were great especially Lawson. Can't wait to hear what happens with him.
Lisa
A little Christian romance.
Eva Hamilton
Jan 17, 2012 Eva Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Funny side characters!
Wendy Sparkes
Mar 02, 2012 Wendy Sparkes rated it it was amazing
Kate O’Brien is not impressed. The words “We ordered a husband for you” coming from her younger siblings lips are not words she wants to hear. She dismisses them, & views the marriage papers she needs to sign so she can be married by proxy with disdain. Since her parents died, Kate has managed just fine running the farm & bringing up Sean & Ellie without a man– hasn’t she? With the bank about to foreclose & won’t offer her a loan without a husband, in a fit of despair Kate sees a ...more
Shoujo85
** This is a QUICK REVIEW of my thoughts on the book **

Started this one but couldn’t be bothered with it. The premise could’ve been plausible if it was handled skilfully but, unfortunately, it wasn’t. The prologue was extremely shaky and I mentally cringed whilst reading it. Then came the first chapter and the stereotypical main characters and setting made me lose all interest whatsoever.

This book is from the Harlequin ‘Love Inspired’ line (which I believe are all ‘clean romance’ stories) so I
Anna Marie
Mar 20, 2014 Anna Marie rated it it was ok
I hate to rag on the author's first book (she started it when she was sixteen)... but this wasn't all that wonderful. By a lot.

First is the premise: her younger siblings went behind her back and advertised for a husband, enlisting the help of neighborly Ms. Lettie (which itself is bad writing: in those days it would be Miss or Miz, but Ms. is a modern abbreviation). The heroine 'in a moment of weakness' signs the affidavit her family springs on her and tells the little boy who admitted to settin
Haley Whitehall
Aug 03, 2013 Haley Whitehall rated it it was ok
I checked this book out from the library because the premise sounded interesting. Unfortunately, I found the blurb stronger written than the rest of the book. I never felt a strong connection to the hero or heroine, a couple major historical inaccuracies pulled me out of the story, and there wasn't enough action to hold my interest.

Kate's parents die and she is raising her two younger siblings Sean and Ellie. The two children know that Kate needs help on the farm so they arrange for a mail order
Angela
Feb 21, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
This was a great story! Set in 1877 Texas, Kate's parents passed away in an accident two years earlier and she's been struggling to keep the family farm and support her two younger siblings and herself ever since. During those two years she mistrusted a young man and he broke her heart and almost ruined her life, leaving her with feelings of distrust toward everyone. Her younger siblings, Sean and Ellie, are determined that she needs a man to help her out and manage to get her married by proxy t ...more
Readitnweep
While Nathan was a likeable character, I could not get emotionally interested in he or Kate. His reasoning for marrying by proxy didn't fly with me and Kate being married off by her friends and siblings was ridiculous. I could not buy off on that at all, so it set me up with a bad start. Later on in the story the characters grew on me enough to stick with the book, but I would have enjoyed them much more with a plot that wasn't based on so much literary convenience.
Janis Kay
Jun 28, 2012 Janis Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-fic
Really 4.5 stars. The best part, initially, was the fact that Nathan was a mail-order groom...we need more of those stories lol. I found the general role reversals refreshing since it's usually the girl who has to 'measure up' to expectations. As you can tell, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and hope to find out what happens to Sean in the next one:)

...JUST realized that I already read Sean's story>< I've read so many since, I completely forgot:/ Oh boy...
Suzanne Schack
While most Steeple hill books released monthly are easy reads, I love the questions they bring up. Does love have to follow a formula? Do others know us better than we know ourselves? Do we judge situations too quickly? Do we allow our pasts to determine too much of our future? While you usually know they end up happy, the themes and thoughtful situations make you think and I love that. :)
Betti
Apr 04, 2012 Betti rated it it was amazing
How would you feel if you found out you were married to someone you had never met before? The story follows many twists and turns before the reader finds out if this marriage will last. Very well written with just enough intrigue to keep one from putting the book down! The salvation message is clear and easy to understand. Thanks!
Rachel
This was a cute story, but unfortunately for me not one that I could see actually happening. I just couldn't believe that the two younger siblings hatched up the scheme to help their sister get married...nor that they actually had help in doing so. Sorry, it just didn't "fly" with me. I gave the book 3 stars as it was cute and I did find myself smiling in places.
Barbara
Apr 07, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
This was a pleasant book to read, and I especially enjoyed the personalities of the children in the story. I read the book that comes after this one and liked it so well I wanted to go back and pick up this book, and I'm glad I did.
MariaFernanda
Jun 08, 2012 MariaFernanda rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

I loved everything! The characters, the witty conversations, the humor, the focus on family and love, everything! Absolutely wonderful and enchanting! Must MUST read!!
AAH! LOVED IT!
Lynsay
Absolutely loved it, this is definetly one of my favorites. I was hooked from the very first line. I never wanted to put it down. Half the time I wondered what the characters would do and was pleasantly surprised that they never did do what I first thought.
Shelena
Oct 16, 2011 Shelena rated it really liked it
Good book. Really enjoyed reading it. Easy to follow story line that keeps you interested until the end.
Cheryal
May 15, 2014 Cheryal rated it really liked it
A little much on the Hallelujah stuff but a really cute story.
Val
Apr 24, 2015 Val rated it it was amazing
I have to say for someone of her age she can really grab her readers attention and keep it. I have read almost all her books and cant wait for the ones yet to come.
Melissa T
Aug 13, 2012 Melissa T rated it it was ok
Not my favorite.
Melody
Mar 05, 2013 Melody rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! The characters were awesome, I felt instantly connected to all of them. I am excited this is a series, can't wait to read the next one.
Donna
May 03, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars
Lena
Sep 25, 2014 Lena rated it it was amazing
really good!
Kristen Smith
Oct 12, 2012 Kristen Smith rated it really liked it
i liked it alot. the people were really real.
Marvy Herrera
Mar 05, 2016 Marvy Herrera rated it really liked it
Really wonderful story, and the best of all i know it was the book the i need to read. I truly blessing :)
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • The Wedding Season: Much Ado About Nuptials\The Gentleman Takes a Bride
  • Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • Brides of the West: Josie's Wedding Dress\Last Minute Bride\Her Ideal Husband
  • Mistaken Bride (Irish Brides, #2)
  • The Rancher's Courtship (Brides of Simpson Creek, #4)
  • An Honorable Gentleman
  • Their Frontier Family (Wilderness Brides, #1)
  • The Earl's Mistaken Bride (The Parson's Daughters, #1)
  • The Marshal's Promise
  • Second Chance Family
  • The Champion (Love Inspired Historical)
  • Love on the Range
  • A Convenient Wife
  • The Substitute Bride
  • The Blackmailed Bride
Noelle Marchand's love of literature began as a child when she would spend hours reading beneath the covers long after she was supposed to be asleep. Over the years, God began prompting her to write. Eventually, those stories became like "fire shut up in her bones" leading her to complete her first novel at fifteen.

Noelle is a Houston-native who graduated from Houston Baptist University in May 20
More about Noelle Marchand...

The O’Brien Family Saga (3 books)
  • The Runaway Bride