Start by marking “The Map of Time” as Want to Read:
The Map of Time

The Map of Time (Trilogía Victoriana #1)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  7,553 ratings  ·  1,729 reviews
Set in Victorian London with characters real and imagined, The Map of Time boasts a triple play of intertwined plots in which a skeptical H.G. Wells is called upon to investigate purported incidents of time travel and to save lives and literary classics, including Dracula and The Time Machine, from being wiped from existence.

What happens if we change history? The author ex
624 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Map of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Map of Time

Velma
Jan 22, 2012 Velma rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone willing to edit it. heavily.
Time travel! Jack the Ripper! Automatons! What's not to love?!? Well, as it turns out, almost everything.

I know everyone else here is raving about it, but I could barely stomach The Map of Time; it took every ounce of stick-to-it-iveness I could muster to get through this convoluted, interminable literary maze. WHERE, I ask you, was the EDITOR in this hot mess? There is the kernal of a potentially good story here, had about 2/3 of the fat been excised. The only way it could have been more byzant
Kelli Lee
Sep 29, 2011 Kelli Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone with a pulse and even those without
I adore this book so much so that it has made the quantum leap onto the coveted "How do I love thee let me count the ways" virtual Goodreads shelf. At this moment in time I am struck speechless about how much I love and enjoyed reading The Map of Time, so I must formulate my thoughts before I write them down otherwise they'll be a gabbling mess. But I will say this: I love Señor Palma's mind in all its creative glory.

Okay, a week later thoughts have been formulated. Here goes . . .
I’ll start o
I was so excited to get this book - the back flap suggests a Jasper Ffordian adventure starring H.G. Wells. However... not so much. This novel is in three parts, only lightly interwoven. One of those threads is H.G. Wells, another is Gilliam Murray and his Trip to the Year 2000. The author has written this as a pastiche of Victorian novels, filled with digressions, overly adjectived, and a tad rambling.

Part One is the story of Andrew, an upper-middle class boy who falls in love with a beautiful
Traci
The less said about this book the better. Do you enjoy magic tricks even though it's all sleight of hand? Can you simply enjoy the construction of a novel? I loved every moment I spent with this new and talented author. A little bit of The Prestige, some Neil Gaiman, completely original. I'm not even sure where to put this title. Fantasy? Fiction? Science Fiction? Steampunk? It's all of these. One of the best, and one of my favorites, of the year. Beautifully written.
Marian
I hated it. I hated the cliched, overwrought, terrible writing, I hated the conceit of the omniscient narrator/author who breaks in to speak directly the reader, I hated the characters. None of the characters are sympathetic or even interesting. The cast is divided into unlikable liars, and the pathetic, unrealistically stupid people who believe them. The only exception is the character of HG Wells, whom the author uses to smugly whine about how hard it is to write fantasy/sci-fi. It's insuffera ...more
Rabindranauth
The Map of Time is one of the most stunning tales of time travel you will ever experience, that’s a definite.

It’s a story broken up into three very distinct but tightly interwoven parts, that are essentially a tale of time travel in the present, a tale of time travel in the past, and a tale of time travel in the future with Victorian London as your starting point.

The tale of time travel in the present begins with the aristocrat Andrew Harrington, a man on the verge of committing suicide. Life ha
Oscar
Este libro es todo un homenaje a los precursores de la ciencia ficción, y a H.G. Wells en particular. Mediante todo un collage de personajes reales y de ficción, de novelas y de películas clásicas pertenecientes al fantástico y la ciencia ficción, Félix J. Palma ha construido un nuevo producto que se vale por sí mismo.

Londres, 1896. La novela empieza con Andrew Harrington escogiendo una pistola con la que suicidarse. El porqué no se puede contar, ya que se va desvelando en el transcurso de los c
Angela
The Map of Time is a wonderful novel in three parts. In the first, H.G. Wells assists in traveling to the past to prevent a murder. In the second, H.G Wells bridges the gap between the future and the present. In the third, H.G. Wells must make a decision that will chart the course of the future. The fist two stories contain romantic elements while the third is a bit of a mystery. All of the stories overlap a bit bringing different characters together at different points in time. The end result i ...more
Cortney
This book was a big disappointment to me. The cover, the synopses, the reviews all had me ready to read a book about the mysteries of time travel. Instead, set in late Victorian era London "The Map of Time" gives readers a bit of a love story, a bit of mystery, a bit of science fiction, even a bit of biography, but it fails to fully develop any of these aspects and left me feeling cheated on all fronts.

Palma does a fine job of setting the Victorian stage. Historical fiction lovers will gobble up
Tammy Dotts
The Map of Time presents three separate stories set in Victorian England. In the first, Andrew Harrington seeks to travel through time to save Jack the Ripper’s last victim, with whom Andrew was in love despite the differences in their social class. The second centers on Claire Haggerty’s desires to find a world where she belongs; she settles on the year 2000 when England has been overrun by robots. The final section has H.G. Wells determining which universe is real and which is merely a paralle ...more
Paul Pessolano
The Map of Time” by Felix J. Palma, published by Atria Books.

Category – Sci/Fi/Fantasy

In Victorian England one could go to Murray’s Time Travel and be transported to the year 2000. They could witness the climatic conclusion of a fight for world domination between Solomon, the King of the Automatons, and Captain Derek Shackleton, the last hope for the human race.

The story begins with Andrew Harrington, from a well to do family, contemplating taking his life because his new found love, a prostitut
Luanne Ollivier
Do you ever start a book , get a few pages in, recognize that you are inextricably hooked already and jump for joy when you realize there are 600 more pages left to savour?

That's exactly how I felt after the first two chapters of Félix J. Palma's novel The Map of Time.

It started off in one of my favourite time periods - Victorian England - with an unknown narrator telling us of a young man's visit to Whitechapel in 1888- the time of Jack the Ripper - and more.

"Yes, I know that when I began this
Ranting Dragon

The Map of Time by esteemed Spanish author Felix J. Palma is a mesmerising work of literary fiction with speculative aspects and pays unabashed homage to H. G. Wells’ The Time Machine. Expertly translated from Palma’s native Spanish by Nick Caistor, The Map of Time is finally ready to enthrall English speaking readers with its lyrical prose and unique narrative voice.

Our story begins in 1896 London where H. G. Well’s latest ‘Scientific Romance’, The Time M
Stephanie D.
The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma succeeded for me in so many levels that it will be a challenge, albeit a pleasurable one, to adequately explain how satisfying it was. Curiously, my admiration for its execution has increased the more I reflect upon it.

If you’re a science fiction fan, most especially an H.G. Wells fan; if you love time travel stories; if you love Victorian novels (the way novels were written in the Victorian era and novels set in that time) – this is the book for you. The Map o
Mickey
Finally I can write my review, here it goes:

Plot:
Enter a world of wonder, intrigue and adventure …

London, 1896. Andrew Harrington’s beloved has been murdered by Jack the Ripper. Claire Haggerty longs to escape the constraints of Victorian society. For both, time is the problem: to escape it, to change it, might offer them the hope they need. As their lives become entangled with that of H.G. Wells — who is basking in the success of his novel The Time Machine — all three set off on a desperate fl
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 Donna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-pile
DNF for only one reason: I couldn't keep dealing with the meandering plot. Everything else was fantastic. The writing was great, a beautiful translation (I've read some limp translations in my time). The voice sucked me right in as engaging and I couldn't wait to keep reading. The premise itself had me hooked and I wanted to know where it all went and ultimately ended up.

But damn it all if I had to deal with another multi-chapter aside that served as filler while the characters traveled or thoug
William Thomas
Felix Palma is a fairly talented writer of prose, but not a talented storyteller. Not in the least. Although the writing is smooth and velvety, the book is actually a jumble of confused plot lines mixed up in a hundred different stories that do nothing to capture the imagination or tie up the frayed ends.

I'm not a fan of time-travel stories. I think they're terrifically lazy. They seem to me to be so popular because everyone fantasizes about traveling through time- mostly in some selfish way th
Laurie
To finish this 600 page book, I had to do something unusual: take a break in the middle and read something else before going back to finish it. I’ve never done that before, but I had to get away from the all seeing, all knowing, all talking narrator who goes on like a garrulous guest at a party who traps you in the corner with an unending story. The story seems interesting, so you don’t flee outright, but you do keep an eye on potential escape routes.

I grabbed this book because it was set in Vi
Leo C.
¿Qué puedo decir de esta novela? Que es una de las que dejan huella. Al menos a mi me la ha dejado. En principio, la escogí porque me atraen los viajes en el tiempo y me apetecía cambiar de género literario. Pensé que iba a ser muy parecida a "La Máquina del Tiempo". La verdad es que el autor le hace un buen homenaje al "Padre de la Ciencia Ficción" H. G. Wells.
La novela está dividida en tres historias que el autor narra muy bien y de un modo un tanto peculiar. Interviniendo de vez en cuando par
Alesha Hubbell
I won this book as a Goodreads First Read. And I really enjoyed it. It was not what I expected, but I can't tell too much in what ways because it'll give too much away. The three parts are very different and mostly very seperate stories, yet they go together in a perfect way. One of the characters who ties the stories together is the author H. G. Wells. This inclusion seemed an odd choice to me until the character appeared in the novel and then it seemed perfect. He easily was my favorite charct ...more
Lyndsay
My husband bought this book but gave up on it pretty quickly. He told me it got too "sci fi". Which is funny because it is very, very obvious that the subject of time travel will come up at some point. But after reading it I could pinpoint exactly where the book lost him (even before I stumbled upon the bookmark he had left in it). In my opinion, the jacket summary is a bit misleading as it doesn't get to the real meat of the book until the last third. This last part is the best part, yet you ne ...more
Bry
I wanted to like this book so much. It is supposed to be an international phenomenon of a book. It is all about time travel, romance, history, and features H.G. Wells as a major character. All of that leads me to think it would be incredibly intriguing and probably make for a wild ride.

But this was SO NOT THE CASE.

The basic story is comprised of 3 parts - the first is about a man who is mourning the loss of a woman he loved and was slaughtered by Jack the Ripper, and is convinced he can go back
Abish
I decided to read this book because I heard it was a hit in the UK and the cover looked cool. I thought it would be a change from what I normally read (women's fiction). I ended up being disappointed. The book had some promise when it talked about time travel and Jack the Ripper but most of the book was slow and somewhat boring. I found myself skimming a lot to get through the 600 pages without wasting too much of my time.

The book starts out telling the tale of a miserable young man, Andrew, who
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
3.5

This book isn't what I expected. Based on the cover and the blurb I was expecting some sort of mad-cap mystery adventure dealing with time travel - but it's much more subtle than that.

What it is is three stories, loosely interwoven, about this group of people and moments - coincidences and accidents - which change the courses of their lives. It's about the way that time and lives and interconnected in ways we barely imagine and almost are never entirely aware of. And, at its heart, it's also
Liv
After reading two chapters, 28 pages into the book, I decided to give up. There was no way that I would be able to suffer through the torture for 600+ pages.

The novel was set in a Victoria era. It read like a historical fiction, and the language used was very much “proper old-style English”. First off, I really did not like the way the author wrote these long-winded sentences, describing anything and everything in a flowery descriptive manner that drove me nuts. It took forever for the author to
Lisa
This is going to be a tough review to write.

I can tell you how The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma begins. I could possibly even tell you what the Map of Time is. But most everything else I would want to tell you, I can’t tell you. It would spoil something. And this is the sort of book where you really don’t want the plot twists spoiled.

First thing I loved about this novel: the Narrator. This is not just any omniscient narrator — this one has a charming voice and a lovely way to tell a story.

“Assu
Brooke
I was expecting this to be a time-consuming read, but it was actually written in a rather breezy style and I had a lot of fun with it. It was far more a time travel fantasy than it was science fiction-y. It actually reminded me of The Anubis Gates in quite a few ways. The book is comprised of three separate stories, but they all feature H. G. Wells and contain clever links to each other.
Gena
I kept wondering what the author was thinking, doing and smoking when he wrote this. It is the most bizarre book I've read in a while. I think I kept reading because I couldn't believe it was so - so - odd. It's like 3 books put together, none of which make much sense. In the first part a guy wants to go back in time and stop Jack the Ripper from killing the woman he loves. The middle of the book deals with a guy who works for the company that provides Victorians with the touristy opportunity to ...more
Alicia

There is so much going on in this book that I feel trying to explain it all without giving spoilers is a herculean task. Therefore I'm going to outline the aspects I enjoyed and disliked and be done with it.
One thing I will state now: if you have any intentions of reading H G Wells' "The Time Machine" read it before you read this book. Palma spoils the entire plot of this novel within the first few hundred pages, much to my horror and annoyance (seeing as I haven't read it yet.)
I liked the stor
Fábio Ventura
Quando tomei conhecimento desta obra, fiquei bastante curioso. As histórias sobre viagens no tempo sempre me fascinaram pela sua complexidade e imaginação intrínseca. E com uma obra tão aclamada como é “O Mapa do Tempo”, de Félix J. Palma (vencedor o Prémio Ateneo de Sevilla 2008), o interesse neste livro intensificou-se. E felizmente as expectativas foram superadas.
A invenção de uma máquina do tempo por uma empresa, as Viagens Temporais Murray, lança o mote. Tendo como fio condutor as viagens
Help with references from The Map of Time 3 43 Sep 05, 2013 09:25AM
Time Travel: The Map of Time - Felix J. Palma 12 95 Aug 30, 2013 09:15PM
THE LISTS: The Map of Time (update 10) [final] 1 5 Jun 02, 2013 02:49PM
THE LISTS: The Map of Time (update 9) 1 2 Jun 02, 2013 01:49PM
THE LISTS: The Map of Time (update 8) 1 1 Jun 02, 2013 01:12PM
THE LISTS: The Map of Time (update 6) 1 2 Jun 02, 2013 12:14PM
  • The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man (Burton & Swinburne, #2)
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • The Bookman (The Bookman Histories, #1)
  • The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, #1)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire, #1)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • The Court of the Air (Jackelian, #1)
  • The Constantine Affliction
  • Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl (Gideon Smith, #1)
  • Morlock Night
  • The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1)
  • The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Bronze Gods (Apparatus Infernum, #1)
  • Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense
  • Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • The Alchemy of Stone
3194936
Félix J. Palma was born in Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Spain on June 16, 1968. He attended Francisco Pacheco High School and studied Publicity at the University at Sevilla.

His first volume of stories, El Vigilante de la Salamandra (The Lizard's Keeper) showed his ability to introduce fantasy into the every day. He is also author of the storybooks: Métodos de Supervivencia (Methods of Survival), Las Int
More about Félix J. Palma...
The Map of the Sky (Trilogía Victoriana, #2) El menor espectáculo del mundo El mapa del caos (Trilogía Victoriana, #3) Aquelarre Steampunk. Antología Retrofuturista

“(...) ¿qué era el tiempo si nadie podía medirlo, si nada podía acusar su paso? El tiempo solo se mostraba en las hojas secas, en las heridas que cicatrizaban, en la carcoma que devoraba, en el óxido que se extendía, y en los corazones que se cansaban. Si nadie estaba allí para señalarlo, el tiempo no era nada, absolutamente nada.” 12 likes
“He had learned from experience that what he succeeded in putting down on paper was only ever a pale reflection of what he had imagined, and so he had come to accept that this would only be half as good as the original, half as acceptable as the flawless, unachievable novel that had acted as a guide, and which he imagined pulsating mockingly behind each book like some ghostly presence.” 11 likes