Start by marking “Sticky Faith, Youth Worker Edition: Practical Ideas to Nurture Long-Term Faith in Teenagers” as Want to Read:

Many of the statistics you read about teenagers and faith can be alarming. Recent studies show that 40-50 percent of kids who are connected to a youth group throughout their senior year will fail to stick with their faith in college. As youth workers are pouring their time and energy into the students in their ministries, they are often left wondering if they’ve done enoug ...more
Published October 5th 2011 by Zondervan (first published September 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sticky Faith, Youth Worker Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sticky Faith, Youth Worker Edition

Kimberly Barlow Cook
Jun 27, 2014 Kimberly Barlow Cook rated it really liked it
There were some good observations about ways youth workers can increase student connections to their home church and their faith through college. As a middle-aged adult in youth ministry, it was reassuring to know my relationships with students can influence the strength of their faith and encourage them even after they leave the church. Based on my own experience in "leaving the church nest," I think there is legitimacy to the claim that maintaining contact with students in your youth group, ev ...more
Colby
Apr 03, 2014 Colby rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
An interesting resource for Youth Ministers and parents. The book is based on a year long study analyzing various elements of student's experiences and how those influenced the shape of their faith into college and adulthood.
The insights are not hugely surprising but presented well and backed with anecdotes and survey information from their study. The statistical nature of the information is maybe somewhat overplayed given its abstract subject matter. Provides some helpful tips and principles fo
Michael Best
Sep 27, 2011 Michael Best rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-ministry
Whereas Sticky Faith focuses on what parents can do to help their kids faith stick for life, Sticky Father Youth Worker Edition takes the same study and applies it to those who work in a church context. There were so many great ideas for youth pastors and youth workers throughout the entire book. I particularly liked the sections on how to prepare seniors for college and helping your whole church buy into the vision of sticky faith.

The overwhelming highlight of this book was chapter 2, The Stick
Nick
Mar 12, 2013 Nick rated it it was amazing
The best book on youth ministry I've read to date! Powell and her team have done a ton of research and have found what I have noticed in my own personal experience to be true--traditional approaches to youth ministry are not producing life long disciples. Why waste time doing things that don't change lives?
Rather than advocate a particular model or program the team at Fuller Youth Institute shows the results of their findings and share ideas and stories of ways that they and the partner churches
Chris Pannell
Apr 25, 2013 Chris Pannell rated it really liked it
I felt that Sticky Faith offered up some really good insight to a very big problem facing the Church and youth ministries across the country. The one hesitation I have with this book was what appears to be a small sample size with some of their stats. My context is that of a smaller to medium sized church (small compared to the churches they studied). I felt that some of the advice and statistics did not apply to churches of our size. Regardless, the problem is the same and this book does offer ...more
Debbie
Dec 17, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
For anyone that's concerned about the future of the church, students continuing to grow in faith through college and beyond rather than shelving it, or about any individual student's personal faith journey, you should read this book. Research based, it is full of ideas, suggestions and resources for youth workers (parents, volunteers and paid staff all included). Non-youth workers should read this book as a way to better understand what effective youth ministry looks like and how it needs suppor ...more
Tara
Dec 30, 2014 Tara rated it it was amazing
This book is packed full of researched backed suggestions, and case studies for churches to implement. The aim of Sticky Faith is for churches to develop a faith that sticks, and not an extension of their parents faith. This book should be a must read for all people involved in children's work in the church context, even if they are not working with teens, it helps to have a vision of where you are heading.

I gained a lot from this book both as a parent and a church children's worker.
Alissa Potocnik
Jan 29, 2016 Alissa Potocnik rated it it was amazing
Probably the most influential youth ministry book I've read to date. The information is research based but incredibly practical. I used this as a training manual for 25-30 adult volunteers who work with 7-12th grade students every single week. It's a different perspective that's very doable, and we have already begun implementing the philosophy into our ministry. Would highly recommend this book to anyone who works with youth in the church.
Mike Solomon
Apr 10, 2013 Mike Solomon rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent read for youth leaders who are experiencing the phenomena of youth who graduate from their Christian faith after they graduate from high school. If you've ever read the book, "Almost Christian" by Kenda Creasy Dean you'll find some practical steps for addressing the issues raised by Dean. I would call this a "must read" for anyone who leads youth in a church context.
Britt Kramer
Feb 29, 2016 Britt Kramer rated it really liked it
I'm so excited. I finished this whole book in like 6 hours! I'm happy.
This was actually a really good book and normally I get really bored while reading non-fiction but this was very informative. If you are going into any sort of youth worker job and you're a christian then I definitely suggest you read this book!
Ana
Nov 30, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it
Definitely a movement that is on the rise. A good read for youth workers who are looking to expand their knowledge of faith retention in teens. KAra offers practical advice on how to foster an environment within the church that nurture the faith of teens to a faith that they will not abandon once they move on to college.
Blair Cochrum
Nov 05, 2013 Blair Cochrum rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I read this book for school (Spiritual Formation of Adolescents), but it was an easy read with good practical and research-based ideas on how to get teenagers' faith to stick after they graduate from youth group.
Rebekah
Jun 10, 2013 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
If you work with teenagers you have to read this book. The research of the Fuller Youth Institute as it relates to kids growing up in church youth groups and how they handle their connection to their faith post-high school is invaluable.
Diane Francis
Mar 15, 2015 Diane Francis rated it it was amazing
Their ideas are both practical and based in excellent research! I was blessed to grow in a church very similar, and I have experienced what they have researched! They are spot on in the ideas presented!
Mick Hyam
May 28, 2012 Mick Hyam rated it liked it
Shelves: youth-ministry
This book is very similar to the "parents" edition on the same topic. Some good ideas for youth leaders and definitely worth a look.
Greg Bolt
Nov 20, 2011 Greg Bolt rated it it was ok

I'm less worried about whether my youth will drink and have sex in college than I am whether or not they will continue to follow the call from Christ to love their neighbors as themselves.
Jackie
Apr 04, 2013 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults of Edgewood, parents of sr. high students
Will be reading this one again as well as using it for future reference.
Dennise Gonzalez
A must read!

A great mix of research and heart for those of us who are still scratching our heads over these lovely yet mysterious creatures we minister to to.
Christina
Jul 02, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ministry
Essential read for youth pastors on how to help kids develop a real faith that sticks with them.
Tim Beck
Aug 11, 2014 Tim Beck rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
much like the original, Sticky Faith, this book is practical and worth exploring and implementing.
Niadwynwen Koch
Sep 23, 2013 Niadwynwen Koch rated it really liked it
This book is written by evangelicals for evangelicals, but the key findings are applicable to any faith tradition. Useful take-always in thinking about the "big picture" of youth work.
Aaron
Jan 07, 2014 Aaron rated it really liked it
Confirmed a lot of what I have been thinking about in the direction in youth ministry...

Gospel Centered, Mentoring, and Experience
Kyle Alt
Feb 17, 2014 Kyle Alt rated it it was amazing
Very practical insights. The application is hard to do. The first few chapters alone are worth the cost of the book.
Ashley Carmichael
Dec 24, 2016 Ashley Carmichael rated it it was amazing
A fantastic look at how to improve and grow youth programs. a must read for all youth leaders.
Jim
Apr 06, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Helpful in asking whether or not the youth ministry is developing a lasting foundation of personal faith.
Tom
Oct 27, 2011 Tom rated it liked it
Shelves: youth-ministry
See my review of the parent's version. This is the youthworker's version. Much is the same, but some of the practical ideas change.
Matt
Dec 06, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
Important research and ideas for youth ministry. Worth the read and will inspire a good look at your current ministry.
Casey
Feb 23, 2012 Casey rated it liked it
Basic and practical, this makes for a good intro. book for a congregation looking to understand a 21st century youth ministry.
Chris Gill
Chris Gill rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Joel Jackson
Joel Jackson rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Youth Hacks Book ...: Chapter 3 1 2 Jan 04, 2012 11:33AM
Youth Hacks Book ...: Come On People 1 5 Dec 23, 2011 06:41AM
Youth Hacks Book ...: Chapters 1 and 2 5 7 Dec 17, 2011 06:30AM
Youth Hacks Book ...: Getting Started 4 8 Dec 06, 2011 06:48AM
  • Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do about It
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry: From a Strategy of Influence to a Theology of Incarnation
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers
  • Postmodern Youth Ministry: Exploring Cultural Shift, Creating Holistic Connections, Cultivating Authentic Community
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers
  • Youth Ministry 3.0: A Manifesto of Where We’ve Been, Where We Are and Where We Need to Go
  • Perspectives on Family Ministry: Three Views
  • Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue
  • Connecting Church & Home: A Grace-Based Partnership
  • Men Speak Out: Views on Gender, Sex, and Power
  • You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church... and Rethinking Faith
Dr. Kara E. Powell is an educator, professor, youth minister, author, and speaker. She is the Executive director of the Fuller Youth Institute and a faculty member at Fuller Theological Seminary (see fulleryouthinstitute.org). Kara also serves as an Advisor to Youth Specialties and currently volunteers in student ministries at Lake Avenue church in Pasadena, CA. She is the author of many books inc ...more
More about Kara E. Powell...

“Your role as their teacher is to let them know ahead of time that if Jesus can't handle a little partying, we all need a new Jesus.” 1 likes