Start by marking “Lesbian Nuns: Breaking Silence” as Want to Read:
Lesbian Nuns: Breaking Silence

Lesbian Nuns: Breaking Silence

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Unprecedented autobiographies of religious life.
Mass Market Paperback, 338 pages
Published March 1st 1986 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Lesbian Nuns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lesbian Nuns

Caitlin
This is NOT lesbian erotic pulp fiction. It is non-fiction-- the stories of 50 lesbians who were nuns, some were still nuns too.

I found it really interesting to hear about how there was a word used to describe, and chastise women for developing close, intimate relationships inside the convent, "particular friendships."

The descriptions of life within the convents was fascinating as well. Although some of the women engaged in physical relationships with other nuns on the inside, most abstained wh
Mo
I read this the second I got out of Catholic school and suddenly everything that had happened in the previous 13 years made perfect sense to me. I still love this book and I give major props to anyone who is willing to speak their own truth and speak out no matter what.
Sue Donovan
I read this book years ago when it was first released. Of course, I had better reason to read it than some. I was newly out squared; I'd exited the convent a few years before, and exited the closet a few years after leaving the convent. Thus, I could relate very closely to the stories in this book.
It was a different time. Roe v. Wade was relatively recent. The women's movement was going strong. The Bakke decision tells us right wing backlash was well funded even prior to Reagan's election . Cons
Stephy
Oct 10, 2008 Stephy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lesbian historians
Shelves: non-fiction
I actually learned obout this book because my sister's lover of some 40+ years wrote something for it. I loved the book. Even among the most invisible women, lesbians are invisible!
Lis
Dec 28, 2007 Lis marked it as to-read
I happen to know a lesbian nun or two.
Joanna
Eye opening for this Catholic school girl!
Sandy
These are the stories, told in their own words, of 50 lesbian nuns. Most have left the convents but there are several in the 50 who were still active nuns at the time. The book was published in 1985 and definitely is dated but still a unique look at religious life and lesbians at a particular time and place. The prevalence of "particular friendships" (who knew there was a euphemism?) and how the sisters/postulants/novices dealt with their spirituality/sexuality conflicts was interesting. It woul ...more
David
I read this when it came out. Compelling stories!
HeavyReader
I got this book from a Friends of the Library book sale a couple of years ago. I enjoyed reading it and felt enlightened by the personal stories these women had to tell.

I have to admit, I was hoping for a little titillation, but this book didn't really offer any. Bummer.
EmmaJansonAuthor
Not erotica. It covers the psychological conflicts tearing women apart who believe they are lesbian nuns. Published in 1985 the language was considered to be highly controversial, however, it felt a little boring at times for today's more exposed liberal audiences. The fascinating insight into the mentality of the women, before, during and after their devotion to the church is worth the old brittle pages it's printed on. Read it to learn something about the struggle of being gay and celibate or ...more
Sansan Gilbreath
Found this book at the Larry McMurtry book store in Archer City Texas.
Koren
If you ever went to catholic school, got check this out.
Giulia
[read in Italian] Da tenere lontano dalle mani di chi generalizza facilmente! Non è altro che una raccolta di testimonianze individuali ed è privo di qualsiasi analisi globale del fenomeno dell'omosessualità all'interno dei conventi statunitensi. Non per questo da bocciare, è stata una lettura stimolante. La mia testimonianza preferita è quella di Helen Horigan; più per una questione di gusto personale, che altro!
Ms. Chedwick
I read this when it first came out in the paperback edition. All of my grandparents were Catholic, but my parents were not, so I didn't really become interested in Catholicism until I visited Northern Ireland a few times and found a relative had written a book about Catholic Life in Ireland in the 1800s. Then I started reading memoirs and such. I guess I started being interested in the history of the religion when I was a teenager, but I was never a Catholic.
Marybeth
This book is a series of interviews with women who are or have been Catholic Nuns. I met the editors of this book at a Women's Studies conference in 1995. When the book was published in 1985 the editors were guests on The Sally Jessie Raphael Show and created quite stir at the time. I found the individual stories to be sad, funny, uplifting, depressing and always interesting.
Nicole
ehhhh really dissapointing, the subject matter could be so interesting, but the first person accounts were frankly, not very well written and simply put, unengaging. Didn't finish the book, which is really unusual for me.
Theodora
This book resonated a lot. Nice to hear all of the women's stories. The boundary issue -- this is erotic? platonic? off-limits? really resonated with me.
Sheris225
Courage, bonding & perserverance. Sometimes on the part of the reader as well. But well worth picking up.
Bridget
Of course, not all of the contributions were stellar, but on the whole it's an excellent and important book.
Cb
I KNEW IT! lol
Manuel Soto
Manuel Soto marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Lisa Horn
Lisa Horn marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Martha D.
Martha D. marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Dorothy Alice
Dorothy Alice marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Naz Evans
Naz Evans marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
MaryElyse
MaryElyse marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Nur
Nur added it
Apr 07, 2015
Anuli
Anuli marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • Confessions of the Other Mother: Nonbiological Lesbian Moms Tell All!
  • Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past
  • Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America
  • Boots of Leather, Slippers of Gold: The History of a Lesbian Community
  • Sexism and God Talk: Toward a Feminist Theology
  • Lesbian Couples: A Guide to Creating Healthy Relationships
  • Immodest Acts: The Life of a Lesbian Nun in Renaissance Italy
  • Out of the Past: Gay and Lesbian History from 1869 to the Present
  • The New Fuck You: Adventures In Lesbian Reading
  • Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969
  • Lois Lenz, Lesbian Secretary (Career-Girl, #1)
  • Another Mother Tongue
  • Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church
  • The Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader
  • My Dangerous Desires: A Queer Girl Dreaming Her Way Home
  • The Whole Lesbian Sex Book: A Passionate Guide for All of Us
  • Conduct Unbecoming: Gays And Lesbians In The Us Military
  • A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today