Start by marking “Well of Shiuan (Morgaine Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Well of Shiuan (Morgaine Saga, #2)

Well of Shiuan (Morgaine & Vanye #2)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  971 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
"The world of Shiuan was doomed. Rising waters and shattering earthquakes due to the coming of a vast and strange new satellite had sealed the fate of its peoples—flee or die with their world. Their sole escape routes were the Gates, the passages between worlds established by a forgotten cosmic race. And just as this knowledge dawned on the desperate tribes and cities ther ...more
Published January 5th 1988 by DAW (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Well of Shiuan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Well of Shiuan

Derek
The word 'misery' and its variations are used quite a bit. The world of the Shiuan Gate is drowning. Each year more land is claimed by the sea: field becomes poisoned marsh, hills become islands, and villages are abandoned when sea walls fail. Fatalism and retreat and diminishment as the people slowly migrate to the highest land available, and all know that the world is doomed. The gray misery of the people is on every page (perfectly suited to this week's weather: the cold wet drip of late Marc ...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
This was a very dark and depressing read. Throughout Volume 1, we are told about Morgaine's grim reputation as someone who brings death and suffering everywhere she goes. In this volume we see for ourselves how her single-minded focus on finding and destroying the space/time portals on each world she visits lead her to make alliances and decisions that result in enormous violence and misery for anyone who is in her way, and most of those who aid her as well.

And yet, Cherryh manages to retain my
Mike (the Paladin)
I bought this book recently, and as happened with another of this author's books, found that I'd owned it before, in the 80s.

The story of young woman who loots a tomb and is then followed home by an enigmatic armored warrior. Once the warrior leaves she (deciding that her life is one she doesn't want..think about it) she follows the warrior...but meets someone else. She meets two people sworn to "destroy" Roh (the warrior). You see, they explain Roh is actually not Roh, but possessed and they a
Ubiquitousbastard
Jul 29, 2014 Ubiquitousbastard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
Some part of me doesn't want to like this series. Maybe because Cherryh loves to toy with my emotions. She makes very good ancillary characters that I end up liking even though I know that I'll never see them again...I hates her. She gets me every time. Even when I think that I'll finally avoid getting attached, then her three dimensional, interesting characters put an end to that.

Oddly enough, I thought at the end of the previous book that I would start to warm to Morgaine here. Not the case. S
Joseph
Mar 10, 2013 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nhi Vanye's travels with Morgaine continue on the other side of the Gate. This time they've come to a world that is slowly dying -- drowning, apparently, in tides caused by a rogue moon. And this time they face adversaries more familiar with the Gates Morgaine is sworn to close, coupled with foes who are the result of Morgaine's own past actions.

These are not happy books. This particular world, as mentioned, is dying. Vanye is bound to Morgaine by oaths, but their relationship is prickly at best
William Leight
In this book, we follow Morgaine and Vanye to a new world, one which is slowly dying as sea-level rise renders it uninhabitable. This provides an opportunity for an ethical conflict: Morgaine (and therefore Vanye, who remains sworn to her) wants to destroy the Gate (called a Well for some reason) that leads off of this world, which is also the only way that its inhabitants can leave their slowly-drowning home. It's an intriguing idea which Cherryh doesn't quite know how to finish: she wants Morg ...more
Jax
I love these books but I can't figure out why they take me double the time to read. Anyway, 2nd book in a trilogy, not as good as the first and I'm kinda unsure what exactly happened at the end. I'll wait a bit before moving on to the final book, but i'm super stoked to see what happens to Morgaine! Vanye I don't care about at all, the lummox.
Michael Drakich
Mar 03, 2016 Michael Drakich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As fantasy novels go this offers all the basic elements, tremendous descriptions, characters on a perilous journey with a mission of world ending proportions and a host of dark characters bent on their defeat. The story features a prevalent thing from the seventies with plenty of characters with difficult names full of hyphens, something considered cliche today. I enjoyed the action, the character introspection and the writing as a whole. The only weakness would be a limited plot. Not enough hap ...more
Frank
Nov 06, 2015 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it fresh from the press. The faint smell of ink, the crackle of a spine losing virginity. Hot blonde, sword, world gates to close. It took me years to keep my writing as derivative of this Science Fiction Confection. Out of print for a long time, even prowling the shelves of used book store. I think the three are back in an omnibus edition.
Lauren
Mar 29, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author spends all this time on world-building, and then races us through to the exit. Kind of sad; I would have liked to have some more story about the world vs the "who's lying now" contest which takes up most of the book.
Marianne
Oct 06, 2014 Marianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gone, fantasy
Second in a series, and not adequately labelled as such, this is a dark novel of a world slowing being absorbed by the waters of the planet, through rising tides.

I loved the concept of the planet, and feel like the idea of the Wells or Gates make a good key to a series. However, the characters aren't well introduced, and I felt no attachment to them, and my curiosity of them was never salved. Perhaps that is done in the other books of the series.

I feel like this book is just a piece of ultimate
Noel Roach
Vanye is seriously tedious and grates on my nerves; this really sucks since the story is told in his voice.
Terry
Feb 17, 2015 Terry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-read
See "Gate of Ivrel.
William Ritch
Jul 14, 2016 William Ritch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fantasy
Another great entry in this series. CJ can write.
Nathan Avery
Nothing happens in this book, at least nothing that makes for an interesting story. This is obviously meant to be read as part of the series (I picked it up by itself at a sale), and it is impossible to enjoy without having read the previous books. I understand that in a series, knowledge of the previous books is beneficial and sometimes necessary, but that does not excuse a novel from having a clear beginning and ending.
Travis
Mar 01, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Morgaine and her warrior sidekick arrive on a world where the mystical gate is malfunctioning and threatening to flood the world, as well as chasing the bad guy from book one.

The chase part of the book was my least favorite, but I liked the idea of the gate effecting the world it's on.

Great fantasy series that ended too soon. Wish Cherryh would write more.
Dezzles
Amazing book, deals with what it's like to live in a dying world. A great sequel to Gate of Ivrel. Morgan is still a strong character and it's great to learn more about why she acts the way that she does.
Susan
Jul 10, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: C.J. Cherryh fans, fantasy readers
Recommended to Susan by: C.J. Cherryh's blog
I just made the effort to search out this series a year or two ago and am sorry I waited so long. The characters of Vanye & Morgaine are very well drawn, and as always C.J. writes a good story.
B. Zedan
Aug 26, 2008 B. Zedan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like a little sword and sorcery
Shelves: real-book, re-read
It's so clearly in the middle of the series, but nice little story anyhow—Interesting character interaction, development, though Cherryh is always just a touch obvious.
Chris
I liked the first one better.
Jim
Jun 12, 2008 Jim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-geek
Bloodhag threw this book at me when I saw them in concert. Now I have to read it.
Jeffrey
My least favorite of the Morgaine tales. I have re-read the other novels twice or more, but only read this one once.
Valerie
Sep 13, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
I liked this as much as the first couple of Chanur books.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
#2 Morgaine, slow, stilted, hard to stick with it
Mark Lacy
Nov 20, 2013 Mark Lacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fantasy
Very good, hard to put down.
Marti Dolata
Marti Dolata rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Aidan
Aidan is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Bick
Bick rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
  • Stranger at the Wedding (Windrose Chronicles #4)
  • Moongather (Duel of Sorcery, #1)
  • Vazkor, Son of Vazkor (Birthgrave, #2)
  • Roger Zelazny's To Rule in Amber (Dawn of Amber Trilogy, #3)
  • The Changing Land
  • The Face of Chaos (Thieves' World, #5)
  • I Am the Doorway
  • Omega Games (Stardoc, #8)
  • Catspaw (Cat, #2)
  • The Madness Season
  • The Man with a Thousand Names
  • The Mark of the Cat
  • The Phoenix and  the Mirror
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

Morgaine & Vanye (4 books)
  • Gate of Ivrel (Morgaine & Vanye, #1)
  • Fires of Azeroth (Morgaine & Vanye, #3)
  • Exile's Gate (Morgaine & Vanye, #4)