Start by marking “Chanur's Legacy (Compact Space, #5) (Alliance-Union Universe)” as Want to Read:
Chanur's Legacy (Compact Space, #5) (Alliance-Union Universe)

Chanur's Legacy (Compact Space, #5) (Compact Space #5)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,281 ratings  ·  18 reviews

National best-selling author C.J. Cherryh continues her highly acclaimed series-with a new generation of alien encounters.

Praise for the Chanur series:

A tour de force...quintessential SF. (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction)

One of the best science fiction tales ever. (Minneapolis Star and Tribune)
Published August 4th 1992 by DAW (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Chanur's Legacy (Compact Space, #5), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chanur's Legacy (Compact Space, #5)

D
The new audiobook is out and I very impressed. First, I am going to concentrate on the audiobook. I am not going to rehash the plot. Suffice it to say that Cherryh manages to write a wonderfully complicated but satisfying book giving Hilfy Chanur center stage. I have read a whole bunch of Foreigner books since I first read this book, I can see certain similar themes-- Hilfy was once protocol officer on her aunt's ship which has diplomatic overtones, but Cherryh stays true to her vision of the Ha...more
Travis
One of my favorite sci-fi series. Cherryh creates an alliance of aliens that feels very odd, yet real and refreshingly, we humans are not the big players in the galaxy. In fact, we are a minor race in the big scheme of things and seen as fairly annoying by the other races.

In this series the focus is on the cat-like Chanur, a race of traders. The heroine is the niece of the main character from the original series. She's trying to establish herself and her ship, away from the reputation of her fam...more
Sandra
This one is a good finale. A little better than those leading up to it. I'm glad the audio became available as it made the difficulty of reading the unpronounceable various species names and languages easy. Dina Pearlman, the narrator did an excellent job throughout. I prefer the later Foreigner series, but this is a good read.
Holly Bell
Oct 25, 2008 Holly Bell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science-fiction lovers
Recommended to Holly by: found myself
Shelves: best-of-the-best
The culmination of the tale that began with Pride of Chanur. I was disappointed at first that it was told from Hilfy's point of view, with a new crew of characters, but have come to view this as the best of the series. Cherryh explores the nuances of culture-clash with just the right amount of tension and adventure, and in her world you can never be entirely sure of who is an ally and who is an enemy. Start from the beginning of Pride of Chanur and immerse yourself in the world until you reach L...more
Lynnda Ell
C.J. Cherryh used her not insignificant writing talents to return us to the universe of hani and kif.

Hilfy Chanur is the main character in Chanur's Legacy. She discovers that captaining a tradeship in the political shadow of her famous Aunt Py is no easy job. When her ship contracts with the shto to convey an article of historical/cultural significance, her leadership is tested.

The story roars along at break neck speed with complications at every turn. The climax begins with a practical joke an...more
Matt
I thought this book feel shy of the other Chanur books. It lacked the tension and at some points it was a little difficult to understand the political undercurrents driving some of the decisions and revelations in it. Id give it a 2.5. Again, the 5 star rating system is vastly inadequate for rating books.
Miramira
A comedy of manners where none of the social mores being tweaked and tested are human? Why not? Although lighter than Cherryh's typical fare (including the previous Chanur novels), and more predictable than usual in terms of who to root for, this book is nonetheless a highly entertaining read.
Lynn Hall
The final story featuring the Hani focuses on Hilfy,who still has issues with her Aunt Pyanfar.In this story we learn a lot more about the Shtho.
Another fine installment.I wish there had been more,like her long running Foreigner series.
K T
Quite enjoyable, and opened new ground exploring the stsho culture. Kif continue to be fascinating. I like how the groups that were originally painted as the villains end up just being people.
Beth
Exciting quick novel, last in the Chanur series. This one is about young Hilfy Chanur, niece of Pyanfar, who now captains her own trading ship through space.
Gmc
Years have passed since "Chanur's Homecoming". Pyanfar and the pride are of exploring, Hilfy Chanur is Captain of Chanur's Legacy.
Helen
Still too much unpronounceable stuff & long legalese passages but good story
Heine
I liked the second half of the book far more than the first half.
Bunza
This is why they named a freaking asteroid after her.
Azz Lunatic
Feb 03, 2009 Azz Lunatic marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Chanur's Legacy (Chanur) by C. J. Cherryh (1993)
Wvanruth
Wvanruth marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Xavier Cherry
Xavier Cherry marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Howard Brazee
Howard Brazee is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
  • Iceworld
  • Exiles Of The Stars (Moon Magic, #2)
  • Earthclan
  • Special Deliverance
  • Changing Vision (Web Shifters, #2)
  • Tangled Up in Blue (The Snow Queen Cycle, #4)
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • Man-Kzin Wars 5 (Man-Kzin Wars, #5)
  • Beginnings (Worlds of Honor, #6)
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...
Downbelow Station (Company Wars, #1) Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3) The Pride of Chanur (Compact Space, #1) Foreigner (Foreigner, #1) The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun, #1-3)